PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching and dyeing.

morguebabe
November 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I need to dye my hair again. My roots are probablly 3 inches long (I haven't dyed it since Feb09). I also need to bleach in my streaks and add my strips of purple and red. I normally just do it all at once, but it takes like 5 hours and costs alot to do it all one week.
Do you think I could just dye the whole head black. And in a week or two do the bleach strips over the chemically dyed hair? Id SMT like alot.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Lightening previously colored hair is SIGNIFICANTLY more damaging than lightening virgin hair, not just because it gets colored an extra time, but because you have to lift out the artificial pigment as well. Lifting out black is even worse.

I'm a girl that likes my bleach... probably 3/4 of my clients are some type of blonde. But I would never intentionally plan to use it this way, even on shorter (younger) hair.

KajiKodomo
November 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If you try to bleach over black (if it's permanent) it will take more than one bleach session to get it light enough to dye over. I have had a LOT of problem with black dye.

Maybe a semi or demi permanent dye would work better and be easier to remove? Is that what you were planning on using? If so, I don't think it would be that different than just bleaching, but be careful and baby your hair as much as possible, and as long as your hair is strong, you'll be fine! :D

amaiaisabella
November 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I would put conditioner over the streaks or pin them out of the way, dye the rest of the hair, and do your bleaching on those specific areas later.

morguebabe
November 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
My hair isn't virgin to begin with. I have no idea the last time my hair was virgin.
But yeah I'll have to wait and do it like all at once. :-P

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I've got a terrible feeling you wouldn't be able to bleach out the black dye when it came to it. I've tried on my own hair many times, and to lighten it to any useful degree means leaving the bleach on so long the hair breaks off first :(

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
My hair isn't virgin to begin with. I have no idea the last time my hair was virgin.
But yeah I'll have to wait and do it like all at once. :-P
But your roots are, and that's mainly the area you're looking to bleach, right?

morguebabe
November 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
But your roots are, and that's mainly the area you're looking to bleach, right?

No. I need to dye my roots back to black. And then from to to tip re bleach strips to add purple and red so I have long streaks from root to tip.

Cholera
November 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I was looking to do this same thing about 6 months ago. I would section out what you don't want to be black, put conditioner on it, and wrap it plastic wrap. Then, I'd suggest dying the black and rinsing it out completely before you even think to do the bleaching. I've done both the black and bleach before and had the black bleed onto the porous blond hairs That's nooooot fun. But good luck!

jojo
November 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Why not try indigo or henna? this maybe a less damaging option.

I have highlights, so I am not against them, in fact im getting my roots done tomorrow and a few more put in the back. DC and oilings really help keep my hair nice, my virgin roots honestly do not feel no different from my virgin hair, I do this 2-3 times a year.

morguebabe
November 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Why not try indigo or henna? this maybe a less damaging option.

I've tried that before, and I can't get the dark dark dark black I want from it. Plus I have to strip my hair to get the purple pieces in it..

jojo
November 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I've tried that before, and I can't get the dark dark dark black I want from it. Plus I have to strip my hair to get the purple pieces in it..
How about molasses, blueko uses this with great results, once you get the black you want, you can always bleach a few streaks of purple in!
Your hair looks very thick and healthy BTW.

Culdayne
November 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Oh gosh, yeah...I wouldn't indigo if you are gonna bleach unless you want green streaks with the purple (which might be kind of cool, lol)