PDA

View Full Version : Growing out virgin hair,,

Jennie80
November 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi. My virgin hair is about 3-4 inches long and the rest of my hair i bleach stripes. Many stripes..Now it looks not so good. I wonder if it´s possible to put color in my hair to even it up??My hair is blonde-ashy kind away.
People says it doesn`t show so much. And maybe I´m just looking to much at my hair..
How do you do that is growing out your virgin hair?. Do you just close your eyes and then cut the color of when the virgin hair is at a good length??

I´m going crazy :D

Isilme
November 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
you know those level one colours they sell at Åhléns and Kicks? Those that are supposed to wash out in 8 washes. When the hair is porous color sometimes sticks around longer. I would try one of those colours if I were you. In a shade as close to your natural one as you can get.

You could also try cassia since it gives golden hints in light hair if treated like you handle henna (dye release, keep it on your head for some hours, wrap in cling film etc. read more in Nightshade's henna article) you can get quite cheap cassia at the healh food store (Life in sweden) it's from the brand Herbique and it's called Neutral henna.

MsBubbles
November 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
That is a big quandary and no right or wrong answer...just whatever you can most easily live with! Some people successfully dye their ends to match their roots and grow on from there, but it's not so simple to just put brown on top of bleach. Sometimes it turns green if you're not careful. I had mine professionally done and it still came out with a green tinge. The brown washed out after 3 months anyway and I decided I prefered my bleached ends.

There are many people here growing out their dye or bleach. Some are growing out their dye to reveal their naturally greying roots. If you decide to just let it grow out and be a two-tone head, you are in good company!

teela1978
November 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I just put up with it till it got to be about shoulder length. It was a pain in the rear, but eventually it all grew out.

Jennie80
November 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
hank U for the answers. I don`t want green hair haha. It is not that big differents between the colors so I will close my eyes and just go with 2 colored hair....i don`t think that I can cut it off when the virgin hair is out for a bit. I not that brave haha

klcqtee
November 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm growing out some hair dye too. I don't know what to tell you, because I keep going back and forth, to cut or leave it be, or dye. I've decided that for now, I'm going to grow it out and do a micro trim next August. Until then, I'm going to keep my hands off my hair!

Madame J
November 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I cut to a pixie two years ago. That's not for everyone. I had the problem that any color I put over my dyed hair to darken it back up again would eventually fade out and look yucky, even on previously-virgin roots. The only way to deal with it was to grow it until I had about 5-6" of roots, and then chop. Unless you try something that is purely deposit-only, it will be a problem.

Bianca
November 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
My plan is to cut the dyed hair off when I reach shoulder :)

Jennie80
November 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi. I´m so happy that I´m not alone. My hair is 69 cm right now so cutting it all off is not for me I think..I will do micro trims and just enjoy my funny hair haha..
Thanx for your support

Mutinous
November 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm in the same boat completely, it drives me insane. I'm just leaving it be, and cutting it every now and again until its all gone :)

Yarn Muse
November 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm growing out color, too. It drives me nuts. My hair is naturally dark ash blonde but last December I dyed it red...L'Oreal Light Auburn. It was a beautiful color but faded SO fast and now it's a very faded red, more of a strawberry blondish color.
It's also not nearly as soft as my virgin hair.

I'm not going to do any huge chops just yet. My virgin roots are six inches. My plan is to do a small trim every few months or so.

Happy growing!

spidermom
November 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I waited until my natural color reached about shoulder length, then cut the dyed part off.

Dars
November 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I just grew it out and let it fade even though it was permanent. I dyed it when I was 17 and it was darker than my virgin hair but it was only very noticeable when I was in the starting phase of growing it out. By my 18th birthday I had cut it all off but not due to worrying about the dye but just cause I wanted a cut! All pre LHC :P

jojo
November 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
To get bleached hair back to its natural colour, you have to put the red back in. When hair is stripped through bleach, it goes through a process which removes the colour (obviously) red being the final colour it removes, to get back to your natural colour without it going green, you need a red based colour dye, red dyes are very difficult to stick and normally wash out very quickly. Although some of the red may stick to the bleached hair! a strawberry blond colour would help blend your roots with the bleached bits, then when this has faded, put another temp colour as near to your natural colour on.

Another option is low lights. I have successfully dyed on top of bleach and I mean a full head, not highlights in the past with no problem, other than being left with porous hair.

natorade
November 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm in the same boat completely, it drives me insane. I'm just leaving it be, and cutting it every now and again until its all gone :)
your hair sure has grown

Amara
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Two toned head here! Something I took into account is the damage. The last few inches of my dyed hair were damaged, but much of it was only hennaed, so although I didn't want the color anymore, it was still completely healthy. If your hair is healthy, I'd recommend leaving it alone! I promise no one else thinks about it all, much less thinks it looks bad. Only you look in the mirror and notice it. :)

jeno
November 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Just close your eyes and let it grow! I'm in the same boat, I have about 2 inches of virgin hair that's darker than my bleached (by sun and bleach) ends. I have the same haircolour as you I think. It would look worse if your ends were darker, lighter ends looks more naturally I think! With blond hair you will always have that effect I guess. And I promise, no one else would notice if you don't tell them!!!

Addy
November 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'm growing out color too! My ends are very brassy due to color fade. Someday I don't mind and other days, it bugs me. I'm just leaving it alone and will have a decent trim in January to get rid of some of the ends.

KajiKodomo
November 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm two-toned as well. My plan is to grow to either BSL or waist, then maintain at that length, slowly cutting away the dyed ends. I want my hair to be at a manageable length before I start chopping, so that I don't have to go through these awkward stages again! :D

christi.adell
November 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm doing it! I'm dying my ends though. It has been bugging me that it's two toned. Hopefully it won't look worse.

Luckysock
November 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm going through this too! I've slowly been dying my ends to match the roots for a couple years - my natural colour is ashy medium brown, but several years back I bleached in a bunch of streaks. I've been using a semi-permanent no-brass colour by loreal for the couple of years (every 4-6 months) but I'm done with that now, and I'm working on finding the right natural dye to help me tone down what's left of the brassiness till it all grows out :)

I think if its driving you nuts dying the ends to match the roots (as close as possible) is a good way to go. It made the growing out process easier on me.