PDA

View Full Version : Tips To Keep From Chopping It Off In The Awkward Level

longhairdream
November 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone !

I am currently in my awkward stage of hair growth i.e. still to reach APL ! http://www.flickr.com/photos/4444418...7622762664086/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44444188@N03/sets/72157622762664086/)
Until my hair can make it upto the ponytail stage, i really wanna make sure that it stays there - safe and sound !
First of all, being a boy, it makes you look kinda wierd, especially when the hair's all messed up by the wind, and it is hanging all over your forehead touching down your cheeks. This is sometimes frustrating when it happens on the way to work ! And then - the first instinct is to chop it all off - which is however, only more painful in the end !!
TLHC has members with such beautiful long hair, who have made it through the awkward stages and so i'd like to ask everyone for tips as to how one could keep away from the scissors !
Thank you !:)

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Do NOT cut your hair! Your hair is already thick and healthy and doesn't need to be trimmed/cut at all. I know this because my 12 yr. old son has the same hair type as you. He grew his hair to 21" and it was only trimmed when it gained length (he cut it all off, however, due to being ridiculed as school). For some reason his hair was easier to manage than mine is and thus was less prone to damage.

Keep it growing and use alcohol free gel to keep it off our face. Don't slick it with gel though!

longhairdream
November 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much ! I'll try to do it !.and ya - i'll try not to cut my hair ! :)

Addy
November 10th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I have grown from really short lengths and it takes time and patience on your part to get through it. I know it's hard. I know it gets frustrating but it will grow and before you know it, you'll be able to pull it all back into a ponytail.

Have you thought about hats or bandanas to wear outside to keep your hair tidy until you get into work?

Honestwitness
November 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
A leather headband would look nice on a guy. It would help keep hairs in place. Sort of like this:

http://www.theinnerbailey.com/helmsetcbraidedleatherheadband1.jpg

Back in the sixties, some of my guy friends would part their hair in the middle and put on a headband like this one in the picture. It kept the shorter layers from being so unruly while growning.

Honestwitness
November 10th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Another idea with leather. . .

With long leather strips, you could incorporate the strips into a skinny french braid on either side of your head, about at your temples. You'll run out of hair before leather, but keep braiding or twisting the leather and join the braids in the back and tie them together.

KajiKodomo
November 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
From looking at your pictures, we are at about the same length. It's definitely a frustrating length!

IMHO, I think that boys can wear the same styles as girls (and look just as good!). However, it's up to what you're comfortable with.

I would think that a half-up with a band that matches your hair color (maybe with a bit of gel to keep the loose bits back). If you want to pull back more hair, do a half-up, then grab about half of the remaining hair and use a separate band to band both sections together, then use a third band to band it all together into a low ponytail. This is a more gender-neutral hairstyle, I believe.

I've also seen plenty of men with thin black (or colors that blend with their haircolor) alice bands. It holds the shorter pieces back and looks pretty good on males AND females.

LawyerGirl
November 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Longhairdream... don't cut! My hair is about the same length as yours too... your avatar hair seems like a good and convenient way to keep it up. Also, depending on where you live and the weather, I find that knit caps can be an easy way to keep awkward hair contained.

Your hair is beautiful, don't cut it!

Yozhik
November 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Your hair is so healthy-looking! I'd suggest those elastic headbands that you see a lot of soccer players or sportsmen wearing. Maybe that's not professional enough for work, but I think it's a good look on guys with long hair. There are thin ones or thicker, cloth ones, depending on your preference. Take, for instance, David Bekham (http://www.all-hair-info.com/images/davidbeckham4.jpg).

Iron0Maiden
November 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
just think of how good it will look when it's long! it is sooo strong and shiny when its long it will look like a hair model. it looks good now, too. my eyes popped out of my head when i saw how strong and shiny it is!

longhairdream
November 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM
A million thanks everyone ! I'll try my best my follow your advice ! :)

Mutinous
November 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I would do as many crazy hairstyles you can with gel and that right now, before it gets too long to style it. Maybe a quiff as well? I sometimes wear my hair in one, and its great to get the fringe-y bit out of your face :)

CaityBear
November 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Headband, clips, etc. to keep it away from your face. I know when my hair was at an awkward stage I would just keep it in a ponytail with a headband or whatever so it didn't annoy me until it grew out to a good length.

apynip
November 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
i say take a gander at my gallery i'm JUST past the awkward length. I'll post pictures of this months link later today.

You can get past it. :)

Wally
November 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Your hair does look great. You're obviously doing something right. I can only suggest a scarf or headband on the way to work and then a little gel or spray once you get there.

I'm right there with you brother. My hair defines mad scientist hair at this point.

Rosamunde
November 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Wow, your hair looks so thick and healthy! I agree with the idea of getting something to keep it off your face, to help you forget about it until it's longer - some sort of leather band might work well for a guy...

longhairdream
November 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hmmm...ya maybe i should try on some gel to get a neat look at work. Thanx everyone ! :)

2peasinapod
November 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Your hair is a little longer than mine, so I can sympathize. I second everyone's advice (especially the leather headband - those were a life saver for me). Another thing you can use is bobby pins to keep your hair out of your face. They stay in better than clips, and if you get them in a color close to you hair, they're not even noticeable (if you're worried about that).

Good luck! Your hair looks really nice!

Heavenly Locks
November 11th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I just wanted to pop in with some support. Your hair is really GREAT! Don't cut it :) I know the awkward stage is hard...but it will be behind you before you know it...

:flower:

longhairdream
November 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thankyou for the motivation guys n gals ! Yes i really hope i can make it through to long hair ! :rolleyes::)

Hydrilus
November 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Don't cut it :) I know the awkward stage is hard...but it will be behind you before you know it...

:flower:

Oh really? haha:rolleyes:

Just hang in there longhairdream. My pic is from April so it doesn't show it but I'm just now emerging from my awkward stage. It looks like maybe you're at the half way point but everyone's hair behaves differently so, it's hard to tell hehe.
Just keep doing what you're doing and definitely DON'T CUT (as everyone else has said hehe). Endure! Endure! Endure! Keep doing what you're doing and light geling may help.

longhairdream
November 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Oh really? haha:rolleyes:

Just hang in there longhairdream. My pic is from April so it doesn't show it but I'm just now emerging from my awkward stage. It looks like maybe you're at the half way point but everyone's hair behaves differently so, it's hard to tell hehe.
Just keep doing what you're doing and definitely DON'T CUT (as everyone else has said hehe). Endure! Endure! Endure! Keep doing what you're doing and light geling may help.
Roger that ! Endure i will have to ! :)

longhairdream
November 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
just trying to upload an image