PDA

View Full Version : Do you damp bun everytime you wash?

Kerynna
November 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have just started damp bunning after a wash because I don't like the feel of my wet hair down my back and around my face. Do people with very long hair typically bun it after washing? Is there any reason not to bun after washing?

Also, what type of bun do you do when you damp bun? So far I've only done cinnamon bun but I wonder if a lazy wrap bun works well in damp hair ... and any other bun suggestions?

One reason I like having my hair dry while bunned is it makes the front dry nicely instead of getting odd waves in it that make it difficult to style later. I try to take the bun out and finger comb to help it dry and then bun it up again.

Angela_Rose
November 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yes. For some reason or other, when the bun comes down after some time drying up there, it's always tangle-free, which is great.
I find that damp-bunning keeps a little heat in, which helps the conditioner or the oil sink in a bit more.
I just do a messy cinnabun and run an aluminum fork through the whole thing. It stays up even to sleep with!

Isa-belle
November 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
:drama: Watching this thread. I've been letting my hair down to dry but I'm seriously considering damp bunning as an easier option.

eresh
November 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I always damp-bun :-)
It takes longer to dry, but my back won't get wet!
And indeed, it's tanglefree when it's dry (but I do comb after washing)

I prefer braidwaves in my hair when I wear it down.
What better way than to damp bun it braided.
The braidwaves stay in much longer that way.

Hypnotica
November 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I damp braid every night as I always mist my hair before bed. My hair seems to loose moisture rapidly.

Shermie Girl
November 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I normally damp bun. I like what it does for my hair and it keeps me from having to have heavy, wet hair hanging around my neck and shoulders. Damp bunning also lets my hair relax while drying and prevents the crazy expanding pouff. I usually let it down once or twice, comb it, let it hang for a few minutes, then bun it back up. I just do a cinnabun and anchor it with a Ficcare or sticks. :D

heidihug
November 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I damp bun, but not right after washing. I put it up the morning after washing the night before, and it is always still damp then. If I damp bunned right after washing, it would take days to dry. I wash every two or three days, so the second morning after washing it's usually mostly dry. I find that damp bunning makes it a lot more likely to stay up and in a nice secure bun during the day.

spidermom
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Nope. Almost never. My buns tend to sag and twist after awhile, then the ends get scrunched. It's worse if the ends are damp; those scrunched ends knot up.

Gumball
November 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I damp bun whenever I wash. I usually wear my hair in a braided bun. After a wash it becomes a damp braided bun. It's usually a damp braid when I un-bun it to go to sleep. I need all the moisture I can get!

Calista
November 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I usually bun right after washing (after a few minutes in a towel), and it stays that way until I come home from work (if I washed it in the morning) or until I go to bed (if I washed it in the evening; I wear my hair braided during the night).

Carolyn
November 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I damp bun after most washes but not all. I'm one who loves the feeling of wet hair on my back and arms. I like to enjoy that when it's convenient. A lot of the time I need to be somewhere soon after I wash, so the only style solution is a damp bun. I have recently discovered the Lazy Wrap Bun and find that it smooths my hair out very nicely. I don't get that one big kink at neck level. A cinnamon bun will give me nice waves. If I'm going to be somewhere that evening where I'd like to wear my hair down, I choose my bun style accordingly. If I braid while damp I'll either braid again the next day or do a cinnamon bun. I'm one of the few who doesn't like braid waves.

camirra555
November 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I used to do a damp bun but when I do my hair doesn't dry completely for 2-3 days. Now I just do two braids

SurprisingWoman
November 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I don't bun after washing very often at all. I like my hair smooth and it would take forever to dry if it was in a bun.

I don't part it until it's dry and flip it around a bit to keep volume in the height (top?).

RocketDog
November 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I occasionally twist up my damp hair to get it out of my way, and it has the added benefit of pulling some of the curl out if I want a more 'relaxed' or wavy look when I take it down. I don't like wearing it up until it's totally dry though, it wreaks havok with my ends, which are still a bit delicate.

Islandgrrl
November 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I damp bun, too. I really dislike the feel of wet hair on my back, or a wet shirt from wet hair on my back. And no matter how impossibly messy it is when I damp bun, it always comes out tangle free when I take it down. :confused: I don't quite know how that works. I've always chalked it up to PFM. :magic:

It does take a really long time to dry, but it's worth it.

Oh, and I usually do a plain old cinnabun. It seems to sit the best when it's wet.

Fethenwen
November 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Naah, it would leave my hair with odd waves and take forever to dry. But I almost always twist the sides and secure them in the back with a hairclip, it really makes a difference on how my hair looks like against my face :)

pittsburgpam
November 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I always damp bun, not dripping wet since I usually have it in a towel while I do the rest of my morning routine of getting ready for work. It is usually still damp when I get home from work and I absolutely love the fresh smell when I take it down.

That causes another problem though... being cold
in the winter. Going to work with a wet bun just sucks all the heat out of me and I can't seem to get warm all day. I'm not too keen on washing and going to bed at night with it that wet either.

rach
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
yep and it helps keep the hair by my head look tamer (straightens the length up to the bun)

paperwhite
November 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I damp bun all the time. It keeps me from having to wait around for my hair to dry or use the blow dryer if I want to leave the house with my hair down. Plus as an added bonus, it give my normally very straight hair nice waves when I take it down :) Granted, they fall out without any product to hold them in, but it's nice for a little while.

mira-chan
November 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I damp braid after wash, not bun. I tend to wash hair in the evening and sleep with a braid, so braid it is.

ravenreed
November 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
If I have to leave the house with damp hair, I will bun it. Otherwise I like to let it air dry since it takes forever to dry. If I put it up wet in the morning, it is still damp when I take it down at night.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
My hair is shorter, but having it hanging wet does drive me crazy, so I generally pop it into a french braid or two, which has made it so much easier to avoid blowdrying. Except in my sig pic. But that was the only time I've blowdried since July! Which is insane since I blowdry other people all day, ha.

RoseRedDead
November 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hmmm... I'd say nowadays I damp-bun freshly washed hair 60-70% of the time. Keeps it out of the way, and when I take it down it is nice and soft...

of course, i have to be able to wash earlier in the day (like, before noon) to do this so my hair isn't still extremely wet at bedtime.

Melisande
November 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I damp bun every time. I love the moisture in my hair and the coolness when I open my hair finally. Somehow, my hair turns out much nicer when I damp bun it. Softer and wavier and fuller.

kmangus
November 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I always damp bun my hair :) Lately i have been putting it in a cinnabun.

Dars
November 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I've never put my hair up while it was wet and never have the intention to. It would totally ruin all my curls! That's a pretty good reason not to for me lol

moonbeam
November 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I find if I bun my hair when damp, I get scalp problems. Itchiness and flakes. :(

Bene
November 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I only damp bun. Otherwise, I'd end up with big poofy triangle head.

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have been trying to wash my hair earlier in the day so it can hang loose as it dries. When I've put it up damp, I find that it's still damp the next day when I take it down, even in the afternoon. I prefer to put it up dry or very nearly dry at least!

Quixii
November 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't damp bun any time. I really love curls, and I like my natural curls. Introduce a bun to me that gets me perfect curls, and I'll probably do it all the time. Until then, I prefer my natural hair. :)

23_seconds
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
||||||||||

Paliele
November 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I usually damp bun (cinnabun) because I like the texture it gives my hair. But it does take forever to dry, and now that it's getting colder I may have to change my routine. I usually put it up in the morning and take it down in the evening to dry the rest of the way, so no two-day wet hair for me!

Naamah
November 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I do it occasionally. I take the bun down a few times to finger comb and the redo it, I find my hair dries faster that way. Lately I've been letting my hair dry down, though.

Noctifer
November 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Usully put my hair up when its damp if i wash it on weekdays, just to get it out of the way when I'm out of thehouse. Either I bun it or braid it depending on my mood for the day, am I lazy then i bun it.

I usully shower in the morning and by the eveing its pretty much dry if i braid it, atleast during the winters (summer it can take longer time if im not out in the sun the whole day).

akka naeda
November 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I never do. I don't like twisting my hair when it's wet because I know it encourages splits, so I plait my hair and let it dry that way. IT does mean it can take 48 hours to dry properly in the winter, but that doesn't bother me.