PDA

View Full Version : New Pictures and a Question

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 06:19 AM
:waving: Hi! It's been so long since I posted on the Mane forum, mainly because nothing ever happens with my hair.

Briefly, this time around, I started with a chin-length bob, no layers, and grew to waist without any trims, in the hope of getting fairy-tale ends. But, my hair stayed blunt, so in the summer, when my hair was between waist and hip, I did my first Feye's self-trim, and made it all blunt at waist; 'if you can't beat them, join them'. It has since grown to hip-length, and here are the photos as it is now:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0038.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0039.jpg

Bonus bangs shot:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/Photo25.jpg

I am quite happy with it, but I really did want that v-shape and fairy tale ends... I saw this video on YouTube, and I was wondering what you all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfYjF_kcvB0

She has exactly the hem-line I want after cutting, and maybe those layers would give the illusion of fairy-taling? I have measured it all out, and the cut would take me back to waist at the longest point, which is a sacrifice I am OK with. I would then go ahead without trimming, like I did from chin to waist, and hopefully with that little kick-start it would grow into the look I hoped would come naturally?

All opinions, good and bad, are most welcome! Thanks! :flowers:

Gypsygirl
November 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Hi Darscilla, I love your hair just the way it is- gorgeous! :) But, I've been getting mine layered for years now- and for the exact same reason, too- so I'm tempted to say, if that is what you want, go for it! I'm sending a pm your way...

Irishred
November 9th, 2009, 06:44 AM
wow, you have some really nice length and thickness. Your hair looks wonderful.

My :2cents:, If you are really looking for fairy tail ends I would try a combination of Feye's deep U or V (depends on which you prefer) and the same lady you linked but a different layering style she shows here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI&feature=channel. Get help and trim just a little at a time. It may take several tries and lots of patience. Like she says at the end of the one I linked, you can always go back and do more if you like.

Also, I believe there is a recent thread about self trimming long layers and how to do it. You may want to look for it.

Good Luck.

Themyst
November 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Wow, I don't know about the cutting, but I have to say your hair is so nice and thick and I just love those blunt ends!

spidermom
November 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM
It's nice that there are so many options for hair, so we each can find something we like. If this sort of shape appeals to you, why not give it a try? I trimmed off the worst of some crispy critters at the ends of my hair this fall using the older video linked by IrishRed, although I didn't learn it there.

Does anybody else find the woman's voice in the video to be irritating to the max? I had to turn the sound off.

amaiaisabella
November 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I can't deny I was looking forward to seeing photos of the bunnies ;) but your hair is beautiful too! Since it's super thick, layering wouldn't give you stringy ends or anything; I think it would help diffuse the bluntness at the ends. Go for it, and you obviously have seen if you don't like it, it will grow out blunt anyway!

lora410
November 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Your hemline is amazing!!! I hope mine thickens up so well :)

TammySue
November 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If you really want that look, just try cutting it into a "V" hemline. Have fun!

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hi Darscilla, I love your hair just the way it is- gorgeous! :) But, I've been getting mine layered for years now- and for the exact same reason, too- so I'm tempted to say, if that is what you want, go for it! I'm sending a pm your way...

Thanks for the PM! One coming back atcha ;)

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
wow, you have some really nice length and thickness. Your hair looks wonderful.

My :2cents:, If you are really looking for fairy tail ends I would try a combination of Feye's deep U or V (depends on which you prefer) and the same lady you linked but a different layering style she shows here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI&feature=channel. Get help and trim just a little at a time. It may take several tries and lots of patience. Like she says at the end of the one I linked, you can always go back and do more if you like.

Also, I believe there is a recent thread about self trimming long layers and how to do it. You may want to look for it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice! I watched the video you linked to (btw, how many pets did you spot?! I counted 3 ;) ) and I've been agonizing over doing a Feye's v-shape, but I'm too scared I wouldn't be able to get both sides even doing it that way. This method caught my eye 'cos it's layers and v-shape in one cut, like ripping off a band-aid :lol: I was planning to put it in a ponytail, though, so it doesn't move while I'm cutting.

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Wow, I don't know about the cutting, but I have to say your hair is so nice and thick and I just love those blunt ends!

Thank you! I like blunt ends, too, and I won't be unhappy if I keep it the way it is. I'm just drooling over having fairytale ends!

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
It's nice that there are so many options for hair, so we each can find something we like. If this sort of shape appeals to you, why not give it a try? I trimmed off the worst of some crispy critters at the ends of my hair this fall using the older video linked by IrishRed, although I didn't learn it there.

Does anybody else find the woman's voice in the video to be irritating to the max? I had to turn the sound off.

"Crispy critters"! :lol: That's what I think, why not try? If I hate it, I can cut it off blunt at about BSL, and at least it would stop me wanting what I haven't got.

I thought the same about the lady's voice; I think she's got the microphone turned up, it's a bit harsh :agree:

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I can't deny I was looking forward to seeing photos of the bunnies ;) but your hair is beautiful too! Since it's super thick, layering wouldn't give you stringy ends or anything; I think it would help diffuse the bluntness at the ends. Go for it, and you obviously have seen if you don't like it, it will grow out blunt anyway!

Ha ha, I thought I should post at least a couple of hair pics sometimes, this being a hair (hare?!) not rabbit forum. Thank you for the compliments! I'm feeling enabled :scissors:

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Your hemline is amazing!!! I hope mine thickens up so well :)

Thanks! :flower: We all want what we haven't got, don't we? :roll:

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
If you really want that look, just try cutting it into a "V" hemline. Have fun!

Oh, I've been agonizing for about 2 years on exactly that! I just don't trust myself to do a Feye's v-shape cut and get both sides even :( Some layers appeal to me, as I feel my hair can look a bit too 'school girl', blunt one length with bangs :shrug:

templeofvenus
November 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
you are my hair idol wow! I would love to have your hair thickness its amazingly thick!

Shermie Girl
November 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Good golly, Miss Molly, your hair looks fabulous! Personally, I wouldn't touch it... But that is just me. ;) If you want a more fairy tale type shape, some layers and a V shape will probably help that happen. It is worth a try. And, if it isn't exactly what you want, you can always change it. I think you should go for it. You should enjoy your hair and love what you see in the mirror. :D

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
you are my hair idol wow! I would love to have your hair thickness its amazingly thick!

Oh, I am SO not worthy! That's an amazing compliment, but there are folks with a lot more thickness than mine. I think it is the colour (box! :o ) that makes it look so dense. Here's a picture of it all gathered together, which gives you a more accurate idea:
Warning! Face with no make-up in 3,2,1...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/Photo26.jpg

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Good golly, Miss Molly, your hair looks fabulous! Personally, I wouldn't touch it... But that is just me. ;) If you want a more fairy tale type shape, some layers and a V shape will probably help that happen. It is worth a try. And, if it isn't exactly what you want, you can always change it. I think you should go for it. You should enjoy your hair and love what you see in the mirror. :D

:o :o :o All these lovely compliments! It's going to give me a big head :p Thank you! I wish I could see how it would look and behave before I take the plunge. It's been four years since I had a true cut, and only one tiny trim in the meantime. The longer you go without touching it, the scarier a prospect cutting becomes!

longforhim
November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Your hair is very pretty and thick looking. Whichever hemline you choose I think it will look good either way.

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
OMG, I did it! Sort of, lol. It didn't quite go the way I expected, but it's all good!

I thought I'd have a practice to see where I should put the ponytail, and when that scrunchie was in, I thought, "for goodness sake, just do it!". I'm an indecisive Libran and sometimes I just have to force myself to actually jump one way or the other ;)

So I did it the way shown in the video, except that I put my hair in the ponytail at my front hairline, so it wouldn't move out of place. I cut about 2-3" off, then brushed it out to see. While I had a few layers in the last couple of inches, I did not have the v-shape I was after at all! It was still blunt! :confused: I tried again, and cut off a bit more, but it still didn't work. I have no idea why not, apart from a conspiracy theory that my hem-line can only be cut straight across :suspect:

Well, I wasn't going to be beaten. I had the scissors and scrunchies in my hand, so while I was feeling brave, I took the plunge and did a Feye's v-shaped cut! That, however, managed to cut off the layers I had just created! :doh: BUT, that's OK, I like it! It was the shape of the hemline, rather than the layers, I was craving it seems. And I know from bitter experience that this is the time to STOP, quit while you're winning, i.e. still have hair, rather than thinking, "if I just cut a bit more from there, then even it up, etc. etc." :tmi:

So, without further ado...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0042.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0044.jpg

I'm quite relieved that it doesn't look shorter, in fact, the longest pieces are still technically hip-length! This is how much hair I actually cut off:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0040.jpg

Doesn't look much, but that was literally scary! I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself right about now that I had the guts to do it, It's only taken me, what, three years?! I'm just going to let it do its own thing now, no trimming and see how it grows out with a different hemline. I've got to go and try some buns and braids to see what difference it makes. But I have taper! :joy:

jeno
November 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Ohh, you are brave!!! Good job, it looks really good. I love v-shaped hemlines...

amaiaisabella
November 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I love the hemline, but I'm literally in awe over how thick your hair is :thud:

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys! I promise it really isn't as thick as it looks, honestly!

KarpatiiSiv
November 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Very brave of you but it looks like its worked out well and you've got a nice "V" shape. I like a "V" or "U" shape hemline myself. You'll probably find it works well with buns and braids. Congrats. http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/girls/m04134.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-girls.php)

JCFantasy23
November 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
You have beautifully thick, lustrous hair :) And the bunny avatar is just adorable

Darscilla
November 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Very brave of you but it looks like its worked out well and you've got a nice "V" shape. I like a "V" or "U" shape hemline myself. You'll probably find it works well with buns and braids. Congrats. http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/girls/m04134.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-girls.php)

OMG, that's the best smilie I've ever seen!

You've all got me curious commenting on the thickness of my hair, so I've just been and measured my ponytail circumference. It's 4 1/4 inches, so if I didn't have heavy bangs, 4 1/2, maybe? That appears to make me an iii, I always thought I was a ii. Better go and change my profile!

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Your hair is fabulous just as it is, but if you want to try the other, go for it! Thanks for sharing your pics!

I should have read all of the posts before I put my oar in!!! You did cut the V! And you are so right, that it looks great and amazingly it doesn't look shorter at all!! Good work!

Paliele
November 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Wow, that looks really good! How did you manage to grow your hair from chin to hip with absolutely no layering? I have almost a foot of length between my longest and my shortest layers!

jojo
November 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
You have to have the most beautiful hair, there is not one thing I could say wrong about it, if I could have my dream hair for length and thickness, yours would win hands down, its really beautiful whichever hemline you have. xx

Cinnamon Hair
November 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I like the hair. And also, nice seahorses! :) That is a fun idea.

SandyStar
November 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Wow! Your thickness is amazing! I hope my hair is as nice as yours when it gets that long!

Aditi
November 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Your hair are so beautiful and thick that i wouldn't want to change a thing in it :)

julliams
November 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
i actually think this might be one time when a stylist will be able to help you as they will have full view of the back. You would just have to find one you trust will follow your directions. I had thick hair your length and went to a hairdresser who cut some long layers in my hair for the first time and I really loved them at the time as they were very subtle.

Darscilla
November 10th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Thank you all for the feedback and lovely compliments! :flowers:

I washed it last night, and the detangling was just a dream afterwards. I'd forgotten how lovely nice new ends feel. When it was wet, I could see that I've lost a couple of inches in length, but the point of the V gives an optical illusion of length, and is still at hip level.

I need to have a practice at bunning, though, as I've got some little shorter sticky out pieces in my cinnabun today. It actually looks quite casual and carefree, but I'm sure there must be a knack to getting it all neat, too.

I still can't quite believe I did it!

spidermom
November 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Good job; that went well.

Yozhik
November 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Your hair looks wonderful -- both before and after! I'm glad it worked out exactly as you had hoped :)
I love your "cinna:bunny:" by the way!

LaurelSpring
November 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Yes, I felt the same. She does seem to have some good ideas though. I just bookmarked her site to check it out. I am going to try her layer method next time but just a bit.

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Love the bangs! Very Betty. :D

Your hair is gorgeous, and having it blunt certainly makes it look VERY thick. You look wonderful with the V! Congrats on progress, and I hope you post more often. :flower:

brunette
November 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Fab job you did there!
I used to do a very deep V using Feye's method with the two sections in front and my head tilted. It helped me to grow my layers out and helped the fairytails grow in :) Mind you it also helps having wavy hair thats not very thick.

I think the reason your hair thickness was commented on so much is the fabulous thickness right to the ends! You must have a really good growth pattern for your hair to grow and stay so blunt naturally!

Toadstool
November 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
That is some of the nicest hair I have seen!

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
You have such wonderfully thick, lush hair Darcilla! And I love how your bangs fall on your forehead.