PDA

View Full Version : Cone Quandry....

K_Angel
November 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Is there a healthy way to use cones on your hair?

Can I wash my hair with SLS shampoo (I currently use Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Shampoo), then add something like AVG and glycerin to my hair and then put the cone conditioner on?????? Would that sort of lock in the moisture?

Or am I just fooling myself into thinking that if I put good stuff "under" the cones that it will keep my hair healthy but also protected/coated by the cones which help with the horrible tangles I get?

Would love to have you weigh in with your opinions on my theory. :)

TIA :blossom:

Konstifik
November 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM
As a beginner in cone'ing, I don't know if this helps, but. Last week I washed for the first time with a cone-conditioner. I put some oils in my hair (can't remember which, unfortunatley) before the shower. Washed them out with SLS-shampoo and a no-cone conditioner. Then applied and rinsed out the cone-conditioner. My hair seemed to be perfectly fine afterwards.

Then this last weekend I used no cones, and washed out the previous cones. My hair was silky smooth. :)

I plan to use cones every other wash, if it continues to behave like this. Maybe you could try to use it occasionally too? To see what happens when you use it, and when you don't. And experiment some with pre-moisturizing stuff and such.

Shermie Girl
November 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Why not try it out and see what results you get? Who knows... You may be coming up with a new super method. :D

Personally, I use oils and cones together. I oil before and after washing. I clarify my hair every week or two to keep buildup at bay and the combo of cones and oils is really working for me. :)

teela1978
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I plan to use cones every other wash, if it continues to behave like this. Maybe you could try to use it occasionally too? To see what happens when you use it, and when you don't. And experiment some with pre-moisturizing stuff and such.

This is pretty much what I do. I'll occasionally do a pre-wash oiling, but not very often (maybe once a month). I find it works great. If I use only coney conditioner, my hair gets weighed down. Cones seem to cause havoc on some people's hair, but are fantastic for others. If they work for you, use them!

SHELIAANN1969
November 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I saw this as *Coin Laundry* lol

AJoifulNoise
November 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Honestly, you won't know if that'll work until you try.

Me? I use cones every time I wash (CO or Shampoo/Conditioner). I also use oils and salves "over" the cones. Meaning, I put stuff on my hair after I have used cones. And, it still penetrates and makes a visible, tangible difference.

I do use a shampoo containing sulphates once a week to clarify.

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cones are not evil. If you use SLS shampoo anyway, I don't why shouldn't you use cones if your hair feel good with them. Cones are problematic if you switch to a shampoo-less method (like CO) and have no way to remove them. After a while they build up, and make your hair feel dry and damaged. Otherwise, no actual harm in cones.

Rivanariko
November 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The only real "evil" with cones is the build-up that a lot of people get, and as long as you clarify when you need to, that shouldn't a problem. If your hair wants cones, give it cones! Everyone's hair prefers something different. When I tried to go cone-free, my hair became dry, crispy, frizzy, and was breaking and shedding like crazy. I'm trying WO right now, but when I was CWC, I ALWAYS used cones.

RancheroTheBee
November 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
If you use SLS-shampoos, the 'cones will get washed out. Anyway, your idea sounds nifty. It may work! Let us know if it does.

RavennaNight
November 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Cones are not evil. If you use SLS shampoo anyway, I don't why shouldn't you use cones if your hair feel good with them. Cones are problematic if you switch to a shampoo-less method (like CO) and have no way to remove them. After a while they build up, and make your hair feel dry and damaged. Otherwise, no actual harm in cones.

I agree with this. And from personal experience, don't CO with a cone. Just don't. You will get a sudden influx of wierd flakes and it is gross. Always remember cones need SLS shampoo. But regular S&C with cones should be fine!

Flynn
November 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM

This. Cones don't work for everyone (for example, they make my hair feel rough and sticky, so it tangles more) but they are not evil. Look out for buildup (er, like hair feeling rough and sticky! My problem is not just buildup though, it appears after just one wash...) and if it gets nasty, just shampoo your length.

K_Angel
November 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
How long do cones keep moisture in the hair????? I know it's a weird question, but I"m curious if anyone knows.

Following my "put something good on the hair and cover with cones" theory, should I try using the Giovanni smoother than Silk stuff I've been using? It gives me moisture and great waves, but my hair dries again even with 2 drops of camellia oil in it within 12 hours....

What if I condition first with the Giovanni and then follow up with the cone conditioner? Sound right or goofy?

Thank you for all the suggestions!!!! You guys are great!!!! :blossom:

spidermom
November 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Cones help me with my tangling issues a lot. I wash, leave a little conditioner on there, add a little coconut oil, and then I use 2 drops CHI Silk Infusion coney serum rubbed on and then combed through dry hair as needed for tangling issues. It's looking so far (new routine) that I'm only going to have to use the CHI serum once a week because the effect lasts. I'm liking this! My ends feel well moisturized as well.

teela1978
November 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
How long do cones keep moisture in the hair????? I know it's a weird question, but I"m curious if anyone knows.

Following my "put something good on the hair and cover with cones" theory, should I try using the Giovanni smoother than Silk stuff I've been using? It gives me moisture and great waves, but my hair dries again even with 2 drops of camellia oil in it within 12 hours....

What if I condition first with the Giovanni and then follow up with the cone conditioner? Sound right or goofy?

Thank you for all the suggestions!!!! You guys are great!!!! :blossom:
Depends on the cone and how much you use. They're essentially synthetic oils, and they vary a bit from chemical to chemical, and probably from brand to brand depending on which form of 'dimethicone' they're using.

AmyJorgensen
November 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm doing great with SLS, cone conditioner, and then coconut oil after out of the shower. The coconut oil penetrates the cone conditioner.

I have been using cone conditioner most of my life and I've always had long, healthy hair. I tried cone free for a while, and my hair still looked good, but it tangled in a heatbeat and I must have been damaging it detangling. I am back to cones, probably for good.

K_Angel
November 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Depends on the cone and how much you use. They're essentially synthetic oils, and they vary a bit from chemical to chemical, and probably from brand to brand depending on which form of 'dimethicone' they're using.
Interesting.... I always thought of them as sort of a wax like thing.... a synthetic oil? Ok, so that means like say, Olive oil that just sits on my hair rather than "soaking in" would be how a particular cone would act on my hair????

Whereas, camellia oil used in moderation soaks in nicely and doesn't give me the greasies....

Hmmmmmmmmm, ok, so I need to watch which cones are in the bottle... ok! Thanks for the tip! :)

PhillyGirl1978@
November 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I have been using some cones lately cause the tangles are horrendous and I won't be able to get it cut for a few months. I mostly use GN triple nutrition for moisture and I mostly co-wash but about 2 or so times a week I need to use Aussie Moist (coney) for the tangles. Once a week or less I put a drop of SLS shampoo in with my cone free conditioner to get any build-up off. When I use cones I will use the GFTN to moisturize and then put on some Aussie, leave it for a bit and comb through. I also always use the GFTN after I shampoo too, to get the moisture back in. But whenever I do use the cones, it's always after I feel my hair is moisturized so that I seal moisture in rather than lock it out. So far it works for me.

K_Angel
November 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Honestly, you won't know if that'll work until you try.

Me? I use cones every time I wash (CO or Shampoo/Conditioner). I also use oils and salves "over" the cones. Meaning, I put stuff on my hair after I have used cones. And, it still penetrates and makes a visible, tangible difference.

I do use a shampoo containing sulphates once a week to clarify.
I didn't realize that anything penetrated the cones.... good to know. :)

I think what you're all saying is that since I SLS cleanse approximately every 3 days, then the cones are a non issue??