PDA

View Full Version : Hair is not happy!

ilovelonghair
November 9th, 2009, 02:34 AM
My hair behaves best when it's just washed and still vaguely damp, after that it just becomes crispy and dry (the ends). I have tried all sorts of hair routines and I think I probably have to change my shampoo and condishener again. Is there a product you can use on the ends that helps with the dryness but that doesn't catch fluff? I have tried oils, but even those don't help with the dryness.

Picture in signature is when my hair is well behaved (1 minute once in a while LOL)

EvaSimone
November 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Is your hair damaged? I had some crispy ends and it was primarily from damage.

Are the products you use high in protein?

Protein can cause stiff, breakage prone hair but since it's only your ends I am not sure that protein is your problem.

When was the last time you clarified your hair?

If it's been awhile maybe your hair needs to be clarified.

Those are the three things I can think of. I hope it helps. :flower:

ravenreed
November 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Anything with protein gives me instantly crispy ends. It is really hard to find cone-free,
protein-free conditioners with good slip. It is possible though. I am currently CO-ing, and it seems to keep my ends happy.

Arctic
November 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I have been having similar problems in the recent years, and I have slowly come to conclusion that

a) protein has been making my hair hard and breaking, and reducing protein has slowly been helping my hair. (Stop using protein and start using more moisturizing products. Link to article (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69). )

b) Secondly I only very recently started to think that maybe my water has something in it that is making my hair weird, my hair type has changed a lot and I have had trouble pinpointing the reasons behind it. I have soft water here but I have been reading that hardness of water actually refers to only calsium and magnesium content, and so even soft water can have other minerals in it.

I recently did an ascorbic acid rinse (vitamin C, known to be a chelator i.e. has ability to remove metals) and my hair got back to almost normal after only one rinse!

Shermie Girl
November 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Have you tried damp bunning? Also, a very small trim may really help, too. It is amazing how much better just a micro trim can make your hair feel.

spidermom
November 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
My ends have really improved over the past 3 months. This is what I did:
1) Did the compact hair layering method with ponytail on top of head, snipped off the longest 3 inches of dry ends. It was no loss, believe me! And I kept the length.
2) Had 1-inch trim off the bottom from my stylist to maintain nice U-shape.
3) Clarified.
4) Use Natures Gate Natural Biotin conditioner as final conditioner in CWC, combed through, left a little as leave-in.
5) Added about 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil to damp bottom third of length, combed through starting from bottom.
6) Use 2 drops CHI Silk Infusion as needed to de-tangle length on dry hair about once per week.

I didn't use #6 when I washed the day before yesterday, but I haven't needed it. The detangling effect lasts.

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
You can try shea butter. I like to butter my ends before going to sleep, when I wake up they are quite soft and moisturized.

serious
November 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Cocoa butter mixed with conditioner, applied on dry hair (dry ends) and left for an hour or so before washing, saved my ends from cutting.

KarpatiiSiv
November 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Have you considered trying catnip, a number of people just use it to improve the condition of their ends by soaking and then baging just their ponytail in it rather than using it on their whole head. I use it the way Ktani suggests and my ends, which were very dry, are now soft and silky all the time. I had previously tried various oils but none seemed to help with the dryness.

RocketDog
November 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of hair, the compact haircutting that SpiderMom mentioned also did wonders for my crunchy, sad ends. Even a few months after trimming my hair using that method I still have happy, soft ends!

Another thing that has helped me is Giovanni vitamin spray. Don't know the exact name offhand, maybe something like vita-pro or somesuch. It smells great and is lightweight enough for me to use several times throughout the day if I'm wearing my hair down. It's just moisturizing enough to keep my ends happy and the frizzies down without making my fine hair go flat.

Catnip rinses do help with condition, and give great shine too. I did several with fabulous results but ran out of catnip and have been too buzy to buy more since.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Crispy and dry sounds like too much protein/not enough moisture to me, but I don't know that much about your routine. Do you just shampoo than condition? I've been getting lots of my clients on board with CWC and it's such an improvement for dry ends!

ilovelonghair
November 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I did the catnip for a while, but haven't noticed much difference (maybe not doing it long enough) and I cut my hair every couple of weeks. I clarified yesterday but that didn't help. My hair seems to behave best when a little bit damp, that's the only time it feels normal. Would misting be a good idea? But I'd have to mist 24/7 LOL.

Desideira
November 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I have similar probem right now. You mention that your hair likes ot be damp. So maybe humecants would help. humeants atract moisture to the hair. And then someting over otp of that that owuld lock in moisture like oils or cones maybe

Something with panthenol and glyerin maybe? I struggel with dry crispy ends too.
Its mainly beuse I have to wash my ahir everday becuse i ahve very oily scalp.

since I started to spray it after washing with leave-in spray that contains humeacant i see day after day littel improvment.

ilovelonghair
November 12th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'd love to wash my hair every day but try not to, I do it every 3 days. I love the feeling of wet hair, makes me feel nice and refreshed, but not good for hair. I'm using jojoba oil now, lets see what that will do :)