PDA

View Full Version : Thai Pantene Shampoo Commercial

Aerith
November 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone! :)

I just thought I'd share with you a very inspirational and beautiful Pantene haircare commercial that I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9KsrH377A

Very heartfelt. I hope it will brighten someone's day. It definitely brightened mine. :)

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I would have never guessed it was for shampoo. :o

kmangus
November 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I love how her hair goes crazy as she plays at the end!

Aerith
November 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I love how her hair goes crazy as she plays at the end!

Hehehe, so do I!

BranwenWolf
November 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I love that piece of music (Pachebel Canon) and I was bawling at the 1 minute mark. I don't care what the commercial is for- that's amazing.

Starblanket
November 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
It was a little dramatic, but completely inspiring! :o

Why can't we have commercials like this over here? I'd probably be watching a lot more television if this were the case. :rolling:

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM
What an absolutely gorgeous advertisement! I won't use Pantene because my hair hates it and falls out but the commercial was a masterpiece. I actually never would have guessed it was a shampoo commercial until the very end, but I love the overall message of the ad.

pdy2kn6
November 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM
haha what a great advert/mini film more like

Konstifik
November 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM
It was a little dramatic, but completely inspiring! :o

Why can't we have commercials like this over here? I'd probably be watching a lot more television if this were the case. :rolling:

I totally agree!
Boring TV-shows with utterly pathetic commercials is why I no linger own a TV. If we had commercials like these though... :)

EvaSimone
November 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Wow that's a great commercial... I even got a little teary eyed at the end.

Kiraela
November 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I completely agree, if we had more commercials like that in the US, I'd watch a lot more TV, I bet!

But then, the average american consumer wouldn't exactly get the message of that particular commercial - When the man asks her, 'why do you have to be like others?'... The lowest-common-denominator of society would get outraged that he'd even think to ask that question, since the answer is obvious. There's no reason for it, that's just... the way it is. to do otherwise is unthinkable. - and that's the bracket that the marketing firms tend to advertise towards anyway. The sort of consumers who understand the question, the message... are typically the sort who buy based on actual thought rather than what the box in their livingroom tells them to buy. Although, with a story that inspiring... heh. Maybe I'm wrong. I doubt they're willing to put it to the test, though.

Still, a truly inspiring commercial, and I wouldn't have guessed they were selling shampoo. I'd have figured it was a commercial for Self Confidence, sort of a PSA.

3azza
November 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
yes, very inspirational indeed.

halo_tightens
November 9th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What a way to start my Monday morning...

Thanks for sharing. :)

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That may just be the best thing Pantene's ever done for the world (their shampoo certainly isn't).

Thanks for the link. :)

Tanuki
November 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
How is that a commercial?

amaiaisabella
November 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I don't think it's exactly a commercial for the shampoo.... maybe like Dove does the self-confidence, natural beauty ads?

Gladtobemom
November 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Wow!

It's been a really long time since a commercial has made me tear up.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Wow, that totally made me tear up. Thanks for posting the link.

Fethenwen
November 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Wow that was long :p

Gothic Lolita
November 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
It's bad that this wonderful commercial is for something like shampoo.

It nearly made me cry, especially the part with the battered violin (I loooove violins) and the words "why am I so different from everyone else?" and "Why do you want to be like everyone else?". There's so much truth in these simple sentences and a question everybody who is in doubt should ask himself more often before we make ourselves outcasts simply because we don't try hard enough.

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Did Pantene sponsored her lovely hair? The fans around her in the climax of the 4 minute something clip to blow her hair wildly? It's a nice piece of work, but I fail to understand what does Pantene have to do with this oh so heartbreaking story. :?

Little_Bird
November 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
This was just amazing, it really got me trembling...

Thank's so much for sharing! :flower:

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Did Pantene sponsored her lovely hair? The fans around her in the climax of the 4 minute something clip to blow her hair wildly? It's a nice piece of work, but I fail to understand what does Pantene have to do with this oh so heartbreaking story. :?
But I think the better of them for spending their 4 minutes saying something beautiful rather than just preaching the benefits of their product.

I'm also a fan of their charity (they made more wigs in 1 year than LOL did in 10 years, despite receiving a fraction of the donations).

Wavelength
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Great story, but when her hair started blowing around onstage I winced. All I could think of was her hair getting tangled in the bow and violin strings. Ouch! They could've done without that part -- it was a bit over the top.

Also the imagery of the butterfly bursting from its cocoon was a little... hmm, obvious? Made me tear up though. Definitely beats most of the commercials we've got!

I'm curious if the violinist is actually playing the Pachelbel Canon in the original commercial, or if that part was dubbed to make it more pleasing to Western ears. Some Eastern music (i.e. traditional Chinese opera) sounds very strange to us.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Funny, I was thinking the opposite, that if it were a western commercial, they'd never use Cannon in D, especially not for a scene at a classical music competition.

Wavelength
November 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Funny, I was thinking the opposite, that if it were a western commercial, they'd never use Cannon in D, especially not for a scene at a classical music competition.

True, but as it's a commercial, I'm guessing they picked music that would sound most pleasing to the majority of viewers. And the Canon in D is very popular to Western listeners.

Starblanket
November 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
if it were a western commercial, they'd never use Cannon in D, especially not for a scene at a classical music competition.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Whenever commercials in the Americas use classical music they usually choose a popular and energetic composition like something from Vivaldi's Four Seasons or Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Even then they're usually used for chocolate commercials. :p

Wavelength
November 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
This link has been featured before in another thread, but this seems like a good place to reintroduce it. :D

The Pachelbel Rant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

Starblanket
November 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
This link has been featured before in another thread, but this seems like a good place to reintroduce it. :D

Darn, I clicked the link and youtube is down for maintenance. :( Would it be too much trouble to ask what was on the video?

(Finally 25 posts. :D)

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Omg, I laughed SO HARD.

Starblanket, no summary will do it justice. You have to watch it.

Chrissy
November 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I love that piece of music (Pachebel Canon) and I was bawling at the 1 minute mark. I don't care what the commercial is for- that's amazing.

I agree with you!!!

xoLegallyAubrey
November 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
That was so beautiful! So inspiring! Thanks for the link. :)

Starblanket
November 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Starblanket, no summary will do it justice. You have to watch it.

LOL! I agree, especially when he said “And I began to wonder why? Why would Pachelbel do that to such a beautiful instrument? And my theory was he once dated a cellist, and she dissed him really bad. So for the rest of his life he came up with the worst cello parts he could ever think of.” That part killed me! :spitting:

NiAosSi
November 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
What a great commercial!

amaiaisabella
November 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
LOL! I agree, especially when he said “And I began to wonder why? Why would Pachelbel do that to such a beautiful instrument? And my theory was he once dated a cellist, and she dissed him really bad. So for the rest of his life he came up with the worst cello parts he could ever think of.” That part killed me! :spitting:

I laughed like a loon for 5 straight minutes!

23_seconds
November 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
||||||||||

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Oh man, the Pachabel rant was great! I particularly got a kick about the line where he said punk was just a joke because it was really baroque....all too true.

Kiraela
November 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM
The pachelbel rant linked me over to this: Pagagnini (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_dKCrKJR7Y) which is the funniest classical piece I've ever seen. Those guys are truly great!

Qamar
November 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM
That one is wonderful too! I woke the cat with my giggling.

Wavelength
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Pagagnini is great! Those guys are incredibly talented.

At about 8:54 you can see a lot of flying broken bowstrings. :D

Wavelength
November 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Wow, I just followed a link to this: Antidote to Pachelbel's Rant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3mx0Czyk2A&NR=1)

Definitely NOT a boring cello!

Starblanket
November 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I would love to see those Paganini guys perform live, they're hilarious!

Wow, I just followed a link to this: Antidote to Pachelbel's Rant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3mx0Czyk2A&NR=1)

Definitely NOT a boring cello!

This guy reconciled my undying affection for the cello and viola, I love their deep, rich tones. :D What a beautiful rendition.

Citrine
November 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Well, I'd thought that today would be the day that I wouldn't cry. But then along comes that commercial and I just start sobbing and crying out "You show 'em girl!"
Thanks for helping me make a fool of myself guys. :cheese:

burns_erin
November 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
That is lovely, unfortunately the only thing I could focus on till the end with the dancing hair was that she was not using thai or even chinese sign.

Wally
November 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've got a lump in my throat :o

misspriss
November 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Thailand has some seriously epic commercials. Check out some Thai insurance commercials and see for yourself! :p

Oh wow. I've just watched two and they both left me in tears. I mean, so did the shampoo one, but I never knew commercials could be so moving!

MissThorne
November 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Wow! That was an amazing commercial. Her hair looked awesome when she was playing.

mwedzi
November 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I completely agree, if we had more commercials like that in the US, I'd watch a lot more TV, I bet!

But then, the average american consumer wouldn't exactly get the message of that particular commercial - When the man asks her, 'why do you have to be like others?'... The lowest-common-denominator of society would get outraged that he'd even think to ask that question, since the answer is obvious. There's no reason for it, that's just... the way it is. to do otherwise is unthinkable. - and that's the bracket that the marketing firms tend to advertise towards anyway. The sort of consumers who understand the question, the message... are typically the sort who buy based on actual thought rather than what the box in their livingroom tells them to buy. Although, with a story that inspiring... heh. Maybe I'm wrong. I doubt they're willing to put it to the test, though.

Still, a truly inspiring commercial, and I wouldn't have guessed they were selling shampoo. I'd have figured it was a commercial for Self Confidence, sort of a PSA.

Oh, I don't know that that's true. Americans have individualism high on their list of cultural values. Whether or not they actually act in an individual manner is a matter of debate (to some extent I actually think they do and the "do you" philosophy is not the best for a society's success), but they do like to think they act in an individual manner. You can totally get Americans to buy stuff by telling them they'll be "special" if they do.

Check out this hilarious Miracle Whip commercial that springs to mind. Of all things to rebel with, Miracle Whip! :rollin:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1010237672241

I'm also a fan of their charity (they made more wigs in 1 year than LOL did in 10 years, despite receiving a fraction of the donations).

I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

Great story, but when her hair started blowing around onstage I winced. All I could think of was her hair getting tangled in the bow and violin strings. Ouch! They could've done without that part -- it was a bit over the top.

Me, too. It looked so dangerous to me!

That is lovely, unfortunately the only thing I could focus on till the end with the dancing hair was that she was not using thai or even chinese sign.

Really? What was she using?

Spring
November 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That was an AWESOME commercial!!

Iron0Maiden
November 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Ok so it worked. I'm buying pantene from now on. That was beautiful.

Tressie
November 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Amazing!! "Why do you have to be like the others"? Lovely! Thanks for sharing!!

MBonn
November 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
As much as I loved it, I totally just wanted to Beach Slap that other little brat who was so cruel to her. Ugh.

heatherdazy
November 11th, 2009, 01:42 AM
They should have made the mean girl have really ugly hair.

burns_erin
November 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Really? What was she using?

Looks like a pidgin sign with at least part American (you cant say english because there is a big difference between british sign and american) and I am not really sure what else. The long and short of it is that I understood her signs, whereas when I have meet chinese and thai signers I absolutely could not.

JamieLeigh
November 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
That was a very inspirational commercial. More should be that way, instead of trying to sell products by making others feel ashamed of who they already are.

Personally, I'd have been afraid of getting my hair caught in the bow or strings. :p

florenonite
November 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
How is that a commercial?

Because of the photoshopped shiny hair at the end and the pun on shine?

It nearly made me cry, especially the part with the battered violin (I loooove violins)

I always wince when I see the destruction of musical instruments. I cried because music is so important to me and I can't imagine not being able to hear it.

I'm curious if the violinist is actually playing the Pachelbel Canon in the original commercial, or if that part was dubbed to make it more pleasing to Western ears. Some Eastern music (i.e. traditional Chinese opera) sounds very strange to us.

Yeah, that bemused me. I wouldn't expect an Asian advert to have European classical (ok, baroque :lol:) music.

Oh man, the Pachabel rant was great! I particularly got a kick about the line where he said punk was just a joke because it was really baroque....all too true.

I totally disagree that punk's like baroque. Maybe I'm analysing it too in-depth (hey, I studied piano for 11 years and still play for fun), but baroque music is all about being techically accurate and tends to be unemotional. Punk, OTOH, is more about being emotional regardless of technique.

I totally felt for him as a cellist with a crap part. I'm an alto, and alto parts are either rubbish boring pieces or expect altos to sing in soprano range (hint for composers: it's a good day when I can hit high E. Don't try and get me to sing high F if you like your eardrums intact).

GnGirl
November 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
That's a great commercial. Mean girls stink!!!!

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Although I can't really get why someone would want to play music they can't hear, it was a good commercial, if not a bit dramatic at parts. I never would have guessed it was a hair commercial either! I, too, liked how her hair went wild with the violin at the end.

Armelle
November 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Looks like a pidgin sign with at least part American (you cant say english because there is a big difference between british sign and american) and I am not really sure what else. The long and short of it is that I understood her signs, whereas when I have meet chinese and thai signers I absolutely could not.

It surprised me to see something like ASL used too. But I have met a Korean woman who used a sign language that was strikingly similar to ASL...enough for me to grasp what she was saying, I didn't really even need her English translator. :)

DarkChocolate
November 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
That was such an awesome commercial! I loved the story line behind it, very creative and heartfelt:)