PDA

View Full Version : Flossing with HAIR??? (Warning: gross)

Feline
November 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
OK, now I know that no one on this board would ever do anything like this, but I had to pass on this Horrid Example from today's New York Times (see response # 1):

( Warning: very gross)

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/06/complaint-box-public-grooming/?ref=nyregion

:shocked::blueeek::disbelief :crazyq:

Merewen
November 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I don't see anything about flossing with hair in the link. However, the flossing on the train and throwing it on the ground was pretty gross...

Flynn
November 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
To be honest, I do that if I'm caught out, (I have so much metal in my mouth, still, that it is a little beyond unattractive and uncomfortable to leave it) but I DEFINITELY pluck the hair first, and would NEVER EVER EVER do it in public!

I have actually seen someone shaving their legs with an electric shaver on the bus. What the?!

twilight_faerie
A few months ago, a woman sitting across from me on a westbound Long Island Rail Road train was flossing her teeth. When she finished, she threw the silky, slimy string on the floor.

Oh, god. I take the LIRR everyday to and from school and I've never seen anyone do anything THAT gross. Annoying, yes, but not gross. shudder:

Flynn
I don't see anything about flossing with hair in the link. However, the flossing on the train and throwing it on the ground was pretty gross...

(Scroll down to the comments on that page. It's the first one.)

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have actually seen someone shaving their legs with an electric shaver on the bus. What the?!

err.......:run:

berr
November 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I've flossed with my hair a couple of times . Not all my teeth, but when I have something caught that is driving me nuts, ya gotta do what you gotta do. Having a bit chunk of something caught in between a couple of teeth and it's causing me pain will drive me to floss with whatever I can find. shrugs

ETA: I wasn't on public transport. I was in my van driving to phoenix for a funeral. My middle son was driving and he said.. 'did you just do what I thought you did?" LOL

Longlocks3
November 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I don't think I could ever floss with my hair, let alone leave it IN my hair! That's just strange.

Bonkers57
November 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Awww nasty! Sounds like something Mr. Bean would do!

spidermom
November 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I've seen my SIL floss her teeth with her hair (still attached to her head). I had to try it during a dental floss-less moment, but my hair breaks, which I'm very glad for, as I would hate to have developed such a disgusting habit.

Bene
November 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I once saw a guy on the train take his shoes off and clip his toenails. Took every ounce of my strength to not burst out laughing.

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
My teeth are described by dentists as "extremely close contact". I have to floss them myself, because I'm the only one who seems to be able to force the floss between them, because most dentists end up breaking several pieces of floss on them. I would literally not be able to get a piece of hair in there. And thank goodness. Why would I want to? How revolting.

Flynn
November 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, feeling like a total pariah here... I'm "disgusting".

Fractalsofhair
November 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I've done it occasionally if I'm out of the little flossers. My hair is finer than the floss I normally use, so it's easier. But, my hair does break, and it's gross. I try not to do it.

iris
November 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
My dad does that. :shrug:

23_seconds
November 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
||||||||||

ArienEllariel
November 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
eww that's very gross if you leave it attatched to your head! xD I've flossed with my hair before, but that was a looong time ago. When your ten and curious it's completely different than an adult doing that. If I have something in my teeth and I'm out, I've found a folded pointy piece of paper works pretty well to get whatever junk is stuck out of there.

ArienEllariel
November 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The worst was this girl was eating chips and wiped her hands on my purse. :mad:

Seriously?? I would have been sooo mad.

Presto
November 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hahahaha! :lol:

I have flossed with hair many times! :D

However, it is under conditions where:
1- I have gotten something uncomfortably wedged that tongue nor fingernails can dislodge.
2- No floss is at hand.
3- I run my fingers through my nape hair which is coarser, and retrieve sheds.

My teeth are quite tight so I also have to position the hair and then use a fingernail between the teeth for leverage to get the hair to pass between them.

Haven't resorted to hair floss in several years now. I keep floss at work, and home, but not in the car. I don't go out to eat hardly ever anymore, and I think that would by why I ever needed to in the first place. Eating in the car.

Kaileida
November 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My hair would break if I tried! I don't think it's thaaaat gross, especially if you pull the hair off your head first.

Shiva
November 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I have never seen anybody do anything weird on the subway, but I have smelled the ones that didn't use deoderant.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/crackhead.gif

Elphie
November 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not finding it all that gross (provided you remove that hair from your head) but the thought has never actually occured to me. I can remember a camping trip when I had a piece of popcorn seriously stuck in my teeth and this would have been quite handy!

Pierre
November 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I've tried, but the hair breaks.

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I remember on the bus a girl was eating and threw her chicken bones to the floor. Yes, a CHICKEN BONE! I shared a look of disgust with a stranger near me and we moved away from her as far as we could go. Pretty gross! Also, I've seen people pick their teeth with toothpicks and clip their toenails on a single occasion. The worst was this girl was eating chips and wiped her hands on my purse. :mad:

o_O; Why would she even do that?

Willow
November 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I don't think it's gross. To each their own, I suppose. I would totally do it if the need arose. :D

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Wow, feeling like a total pariah here... I'm "disgusting".

I'm joining you in the pariah club. Yes I have flossed with hair before, BUT it was not in public (really). It was in the car and I had a bit of food wedged in between my extremely close teeth causing irritation. Since I don't keep dental floss in my glove box I improvised. No, I was not driving. *lol*My sweetie was wise enough not to say a word though he keeps flossers in his truck so as not to have that issue.

ilovelonghair
November 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
There is an even worse comment in there: someone saw a person cleaning their ears in public!
Hair brushing doesn't annoy me, the same for make-up, but flossing and nail clipping, yuk! And putting parfume is just annoying (I find that most parfumes stink, and they hurt my nose)

Nini
November 9th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Another one joining the pariah's here. I tend to get stuff stuck between my front teeth from time to time, and if it's driving me up the walls, or it's hurting and I don't have floss. Sure I'll use hair, and more often than not it's still stuck to my head.

Nini

berr
November 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Yep.. you can slide the food right out of your hair. If you want gross....... leave your hair down at a windy picnic where you have to retrieve your hair by pulling it back up your throat. Now, THAT was gross and it gagged me and I keep my hair secured when outdoors at all times now.

What's gross? People that don't floss or don't use those brush pics at all. THAT is gross. Different strokes.

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'm in the "that's gross" club, because I tend to think about my hair, which has tons of conditioner left in after a wash, and dust too that got stuck because of the oiling. I tend to use AVG and shea butter, which are not foog grade products, and all this chemical cocktail accomulating dust and other particles that travel though the air or rest on all kind of sufaces my hair might end up brush against - not something I'd want in my mouth, not that hygenic at all. :shudder:

A pointy piece of paper can do. Some people have teeth growing in in a such way, they can't floss. Nothing wrong with not flossing either. Flossing in public? Super gross. Eww. After reading this, I'm glad I'm in no position to take NY subs. :nono:

Shiva
November 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't much care what anybody does as far as grooming in public, but I gotta draw the line at Boogie diving.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/thflick.gif

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
After we dined at an Indian buffet I was in intense pain because I had a piece of something stuck in my gum between my teeh (food always gets stuck in the same spot). I was looking for a piece of thread in the car to use as dental floss and my older son said, "Here mom, I pulled some hair out for you to use". I looked in horror because it was about fifteen strands!

Here is the gross part: I used his pulled out hairs and relieved my gums. My pain was instantly gone and I told him to never pull his locks out again. lol

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I don't much care what anybody does as far as grooming in public, but I gotta draw the line at Boogie diving.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/thflick.gif

No doubt there. Mining for gold is disgusting no matter where its done, public or private.:shudder:

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
No doubt there. Mining for gold is disgusting no matter where its done, public or private.:shudder:
Hey now, a nose is a filter, and filters need to be cleaned once in a while :p lol :laugh:

Arriens
November 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hey now, a nose is a filter, and filters need to be cleaned once in a while :p lol :laugh:
Snort it up and spit it out. :p

JamieLeigh
November 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I liked the writer's comment "Why don't you shave your legs on the train tomorrow?" That was really good. :D

OleanderTime
November 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Oh my god, I've flossed one tooth with a (pulled out) hair before. I can't believe I'm posting this, but in solidarity! I was a senior in college and was on my way to a scholarship reception where there would be lots of mingling, photographers, and a speech to make. What to do? I honestly wasn't that grossed out by it, but I hope I don't have to do it again--if only because I had to pull a hair out. Maybe next time I'll pull a thread out instead. Eek.