PDA

View Full Version : How do you respond to people that disapprove of your hair?

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Usually this comes from family, friends, co-workers, etc... If a stranger has the nerve to come up to you and tell you to get a hair cut, they deserve to be slapped but I have yet to have that happen myself.

I've only had it happen a few times so far in the short time I've had my hair longer than normal.
The first time was from my sister who CONSTANTLY tells me to get my hair cut but, she's my sister and easy to ignore so it's not a bother haha. Later on a friend of mine i hadn't seen in a while, who used to have his hair long, just about mid-back, he came up and called me a hippie...jokingly of course, coming from a former long-hair, it was really just a friendly greeting.

My response though when I get any of these comments are that I'm embracing my viking heritage. That seems to be an acceptable response that ends the dispute, plus it sounds much cooler to be called a viking anyway haha

How do you respond if someone says this to you? Or calls you a hippie?

EvaSimone
November 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't really care. :lol:

My typical response to most odd hair comments is, "Ummm... okay." and then ignore the person. It's dismissive without being completely in your face rude. It works for me.

Gumball
November 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't really care. :lol:

My typical response to most odd hair comments is, "Ummm... okay." and then ignore the person. It's dismissive without being completely in your face rude. It works for me.

I completely agree. Pandering to them may just fuel their fire. Who wants to get into an argument about a person who should, by the instigator's standards, cut their hair?

On the other hand you could ask them to shave off all the hair on their body. It should grow back after all. Bwahaha.

spidermom
November 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
The last time, and one of the few times, that anybody told me I ought to cut my hair (my father), I asked "which one?" and then I laughed and said "I'm not going to cut my hair." That was that.

Gumball
November 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The last time, and one of the few times, that anybody told me I ought to cut my hair (my father), I asked "which one?" and then I laughed and said "I'm not going to cut my hair." That was that.

:lol: That's great.

pinkbunny
November 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Depends on the situation, but if they are really pushy or rude I would just say "I'll cut it when I'm ready." (which is never! lol)

patience
November 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If someone were to say "I think you need to cut your hair" I would just say "That's nice" with a smile, then ignore or " When I start to care about what other people think I'll let you know" -still said with a smile (that throws them off a bit :D) ...depends upon my mood :)

kmangus
November 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I would tell them that its my life...and my hair!! Besides who cares what people think... i like to be unique :)

Tangerine
November 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM

He he I like that.

I think, Hydrilus, you've already got a pretty good answer ready (the Viking one - I like that!).
I haven't had any comments myself but if I do get any I think I would just smile politely, shrug and move on. Like EvaSimone, I don't really care. :)

And if anybody calls me a hippie I'd be very flattered and thank them. :)

Shastrix
November 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
My usual tactic is to not react, to just stare at them momentarily and perhaps make a small frowning facial expression. :? I don't usually retort, but I once responded with "at least I have hair" to a follicly-challenged gentleman. :bounce:

ImperfectBrat
November 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I just say ok and shrug. They have an opinion and I get my response.

There is the famous "I'm not here to decorate your world" (:cool:) that I have yet to use.

GlassEyes
November 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Statement: "You should cut your hair."

Responses:

"You should cut your face."

"You should grow it out. Oh, I don't mean your hair--though that's pretty damned short too."

"You should lose some weight." (this is one that, though likely effective, makes me cringe)

"Why, so I can be like you? I'm sorry, but d-bag isn't on my choice list of future professions."

"But, whatever would I use as toilet paper!? -insert look of horror" --This is for the longer ones, and it's bound to keep said person away. XD

"*insert look of admiration* Yes, I think I should! What other great words of wisdom do you have, oh might great one, so that I may prostrate myself to cater to your whims!? Here, let me find some stone tablets that I can copy them on."

Granted, I'm a rather contrary person. I wouldn't recommend this route for everyone...or anyone. xD;

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't usually retort, but I once responded with "at least I have hair" to a follicly-challenged gentleman. :bounce:

Ohh ouch! I'll definitely have to keep that one in mind when/if someone like that approaches me haha!

Patience, your simple response of "That's nice" is perfect. It's short and goes straight to the point of 'yeah I don't really care what you think!' ;)

edit: "You should cut your face."

Daaaang Glass, a bit aggressive there are we? haha

mira-chan
November 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Considering I have fairytale ends, this obviously not trimmed in a while. I just say I don't cut it to anyone asking or commenting relating to that. People tend to take it as "I've never cut it because of some spiritual reason" thus leave me alone. They don't need to know that it's because I just don't want to bother and don't care. :D

Flynn
November 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I like the sort of non-sequitur vague, sort of dismissive response to "hecklings" and unwelcome advice in general.

"Hey, you should cut your hair."

"Yeah, it is, isn't it?"
Or, "Oh, that's nice, don't you think?"
Or... you get the general idea. Note: these cannot be delivered with any hint of sarcasm.

fisher2
November 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
i useally say ive tried it for 12 yrss im trying this for 12 yrs

Bonkers57
November 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Mine's not long enough to disapprove of yet, but once they start disapproving I'll say "Thank you for your input, now go away..."

But I'm getting a bunch more good ideas in this thread :eyebrows:

I'll probably say something MUCH ruder if someone tells me I'm too old to wear my hair that way.

Is being called "hippie" a bad thing???? :p

wahmof9
November 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Usually this comes from family, friends, co-workers, etc... If a stranger has the nerve to come up to you and tell you to get a hair cut, they deserve to be slapped but I have yet to have that happen myself.

I've only had it happen a few times so far in the short time I've had my hair longer than normal.
The first time was from my sister who CONSTANTLY tells me to get my hair cut but, she's my sister and easy to ignore so it's not a bother haha. Later on a friend of mine i hadn't seen in a while, who used to have his hair long, just about mid-back, he came up and called me a hippie...jokingly of course, coming from a former long-hair, it was really just a friendly greeting.

My response though when I get any of these comments are that I'm embracing my viking heritage. That seems to be an acceptable response that ends the dispute, plus it sounds much cooler to be called a viking anyway haha

Says who?

That's what I say. I'll do whatever I darn well please with my hair and will glad to be called a hippie...it means I'm not a sheep:D

Jessikinz
November 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Well i've never been called a 'hippie'. But when someone suggests I cut my hair I just change the subject or politely nod and say "Sorry, But I love long hair". Works everytime, but then again I haven't had many people tell me to cut my hair. :)

GlassEyes
November 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM
edit: "You should cut your face."

Daaaang Glass, a bit aggressive there are we? haha
Maybe just a bit. XD They're fun to come up with.

Addy
November 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
If someone called me a hippie, I'd say... Pass the weed man! http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4642/peacevv.gif (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/peacevv.gif/)

:D

Disclaimer: I do not smoke weed. Just thought it was funny!

Carolyn
November 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
If someone called me a hippie, I'd say... Pass the weed man! http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4642/peacevv.gif (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/peacevv.gif/)

Disclaimer: I do not smoke weed. Just thought it was funny! Good one! If someone called me a hippie I think I'd just smile and say thank you :p

ladycatpurrs
November 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Responses:

"You should grow it out. Oh, I don't mean your hair--though that's pretty damned short too."

"You should lose some weight." (this is one that, though likely effective, makes me cringe)

"Why, so I can be like you? I'm sorry, but d-bag isn't on my choice list of future professions."

"But, whatever would I use as toilet paper!? -insert look of horror" --This is for the longer ones, and it's bound to keep said person away. XD

"*insert look of admiration* Yes, I think I should! What other great words of wisdom do you have, oh might great one, so that I may prostrate myself to cater to your whims!? Here, let me find some stone tablets that I can copy them on."

Granted, I'm a rather contrary person. I wouldn't recommend this route for everyone...or anyone. xD;

laughs and grabs note pad to take notes for future verbal engagements with rude people, ohhh, these are good!!!

chloeishere
November 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I don't really care what people think about my hair. Very few people in my immediate family, or people who I would consider a friend are the type to insult my personal appearance.

The other day, someone in class said something about cutting her hair because she didn't want to look like a dirty hippie. This, I considered to be an indirect comment on my hair (my hair was and is longer, and she's a bit catty, to be totally honest). So I replied, "Oh, I am a dirty hippie, so I don't care if people think that." Honestly, it's the truth. If people are shallow enough to think I'm not interesting or worthwhile because in some ways I am different, then I don't care what they think about my appearance.
And besides... well, I am a hippie (menstrual cup wearing, cloth pad using, non-conventional shampoo, IUD instead of the pill to reduce waste and hormones in the water supply, etc etc).

I think it's a good thing to care about the environment.

If someone I don't know says its too long (hasn't happened yet), would just get a "It's a good thing it's not your hair, then." or an "I like my hair, and I'm the one that matters in this case." I don't care what they think, and I am fine with walking away without another thought, so long as they aren't wielding a pair of shears.

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Says who?

That's what I say. I'll do whatever I darn well please with my hair and will glad to be called a hippie...it means I'm not a sheep:D

One of my buddies that has really long hair, he's had it long for years... In fact...the very first time I met him (in middle school, geeze...) he had long hair and has just kept it trimmed to a certain length ever since. Anyway, our nick name for him has always been "sheep dog" hehe :puppy:

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM

I'm quite fond of this one, especially since it's overtly facetious, and I dig that.

I get a lot, "you should straighten your hair!" from almost everyone, except of course, my one friend who has 3c hair and understands my pain. :p My typical response is, "Yes, well, I'd just rather not."

Themyst
November 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM

I have to agree, I like the Viking heritage comment. It's one of those comments that might set a person back somewhat and make them a bit worried they're not being 'politically correct' about something ... hee hee.

noelgirl
November 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
If someone called me a hippie, well, I am a hippie, so it would be a statement of the obvious! I wish I had clever comebacks, but I usually stick to "Well, this is how I like it." Simple and to the point.

Peter
November 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
This has happened oh so many times to me. I'm pretty much unaffected by all hair comments now, even positive ones (not that I don't appreciate them!). It used to really bother me when someone made fun of me because of my hair. Admittedly it did look a bit wild before I could ponytail it, especially since it's wavy, but I still couldn't think of a valid reason why anyone needed to be mean about it.

I usually just responded with "yeah, sure, okay..." and generally ignored it. I did my best to look like I didn't care even though it used to bother me a lot. After a while, I guess my family and friends realized this long hair thing was long-term and stopped complaining about it. As time passed I got a bit more bold with some of my close friends that had decided to insult or make a joke about my hair occasionally. Something along the lines of: "Haha yeah maybe Peter should cut his hair so he doesn't look like a girl." replied to with a swift "Maybe you should shut the **** up." He hasn't said a damn thing since... I don't really recommend that kind of aggression though.

In summary, my personal experience was that people just dropped it after a while. It was probably around a year or so of getting made fun of on a regular basis, but I knew I wanted long hair and I wasn't about to let some children stop me. Good luck to you in your hair growth and hopefully the jokes will stop soon! :D

Rivanariko
November 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Glasseyes, those are brilliant!

I've gotten very few negative reactions to my hair that stick out in my mind. Usually I just respond with "No" or "Maybe someday, but I'm rather fond of it right now" when people suggest cutting it.

As to being called a hippie... hehe. I lived in North Carolina for four years while going to school. Because of my long hair, my aversion to shoes, and my insistence on recycling, I got a reputation as a hippie pretty quickly. It just made me laugh. I grew up in northern Oregon in a town famous for windsurfing... surrounded by original hippies. So being compared to them just makes me giggle. I don't think I'm really in the same class as the guy who lives in a tree outside of town.

longhairedfairy
November 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think I've had many people try to get me to hack it off (certainly not recently). If you make it sound like it's a religious thing they'll probably shut up. That may work best for a woman, but for a man they seem more likely to believe it if you're Native American.

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Something along the lines of: "Haha yeah maybe Peter should cut his hair so he doesn't look like a girl." replied to with a swift "Maybe you should shut the **** up." He hasn't said a damn thing since... I don't really recommend that kind of aggression though.

Eh, I don't think that kind of a response is a problem between friends, unless they take offense very easily. I can take a joke. I embrace sarcastic humor, so after many years of dishing it out and getting all kinds of reactions, I'm pretty good at deciding ahead of time who will KNOW I'm being sarcastic and who will end up taking it the wrong way.
In the case of hair cutting jokes, that kind of response between my friends would be received by laughter all around...and perhaps a clanking of glasses :ale:
...plus I don't hesitate to drop f-bombs lol

Heavenly Locks
November 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
"You should cut your hair"

"Is being an ass part of your personality, or something that you've reserved for just me?"

Quixii
November 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I usually something like, "Oh? Well, I like it." :shrug: I don't tend to get people that openly disapprove of my hair, more of the slightly disapproving connotation behind a question like, "Have you ever thought of cutting it?" To which I respond, "Yeah, but I know I'd really miss my hair, and I do enjoy it long. :)"

Olivia23
November 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I think just staring at them with no expression on your face while they wait for you to answer is good enough. It will make them feel uncomfortable and they will probably walk away or try to drop the subject.

noelgirl
November 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I usually something like, "Oh? Well, I like it." :shrug: I don't tend to get people that openly disapprove of my hair, more of the slightly disapproving connotation behind a question like, "Have you ever thought of cutting it?" To which I respond, "Yeah, but I know I'd really miss my hair, and I do enjoy it long. :)"

That question drives me up the wall! Mainly because the implication seems to be that I'm a feral child who's unfamiliar with the concept. I take that question not as an insult to my hair, but as an insult to my intelligence. So I do get a bit snarky in response to that one.

sapphire-o
November 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
It's weird, I almost never get any hair comments. Maybe I'm not good at picking up criticism? Or maybe my hair is just so awesome people don't think I should cut it. :D

Actually I think it's because I have almost no friends or family with any fashion sense. Everybody I know seems to have the same hairstyle they had 15 or 20 years ago. They're not about to suggest a trendy style if they don't know what's trendy. Everybody in my family (including my mom who doesn't agree with me on almost everything) seem to like long hair.

Tangerine
November 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I like the sort of non-sequitur vague, sort of dismissive response to "hecklings" and unwelcome advice in general.

"Yeah, it is, isn't it?"
Or, "Oh, that's nice, don't you think?"
Or... you get the general idea. Note: these cannot be delivered with any hint of sarcasm.

Oh this I really like. :thumbsup:

viking_quest
November 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I just tell people "that's nice" and walk away. And no further problems.

LaurelSpring
November 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I usually say maybe one day but not right now. And I also say its my mid life crisis.

CaraLynn
November 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
My favorite response to the "you should cut your hair" comment is:

"Your opinion/suggestion has been noted and discarded"

;)

I'm a pretty sarcastic person though, so...

rhubarbarin
November 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
My hair isn't really long, but it is curly and has some damage. I have had people express opinions on how I should change it, including cutting it or straightening.

I try not to get too offended. Some people are malicious but most just have poor manners and are the type who make personal remarks about everything. It's just hair, but it's mine and I know how I want it. So usually I scoff a bit and tell them I like it just how it is, then redirect the conversation.

Amara
November 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM

"Yeah, it is, isn't it?"

ROFL!

Finoriel
November 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
If someone calls me a hippie I just say: "Thank you, but you donīt need to lick my boots. :p I donīt have any pot."
No one really insists that I should cut my hair... if someone did I guess Iīd just tell the person, that she/he is not in the position to demand anything. :gabigrin: And that I need to speak to their mother, who obviously forgot to teach her/him even the most basic manners.
Some people say they donīt like long/red hair or imply that there are prettier cuts/colour, but thatīs just personal preference and they just vocalize their opinion - unasked for, yes - but nothing I would take too serious.

lynlora
November 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Responses:

Can I add :

> "Jealous, are you ?"
> "Have you looked in mirror lately ? "
> "Did I ask for your stupid opinion ?"
> "What fashion magazine are you on the cover of ?"

RocketDog
November 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I have never had anyone tell me to cut my hair, but before I used henna I did get frequent tidbits of 'advice' on what shade to dye it. I used to dye my hair ever 3-4 weeks when I was a bit younger and I think it wierded some of my friends out to see me going months and months without doing anything 'fun' with my hair. I always thanked them for their input and usually spent a few minutes chatting with them about haircare, then tried to steer the conversation to something else.

Arctic
November 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't have experiences with anybody telling my hair is too long, and my hair really isn't long on LHC standards. My mother when she lived, once asked how long I was planning to grow it, and after hearing my then-goal of waist she was quite shocked.

I have been getting negative feedback from couple of people (all have been men) about my short hair though (I have been a live long shortie to bob to shortie kind of peorson before I started to want to grow my hair longer).

Fireweed
November 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just be up front and tell them you like it long. I have had people at work tell me that if I cut my hair I could look younger and be a fox. I tell them I don't need that in my life right now.

Katurday
November 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I either go down the "No, I like it the way it is" route, or if I'm feeling particularly devilish, I'll go down the "I'm not here to decorate your world." route.

If I'm particularly miffed, I can see myself trying the "You should lose some weight" one.

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I am the only one on TLHC who caved in due to so many cut-your-hair comments. Below is what I heard:

1)My mom said, "You should cut your hair to a more mature length."
2)My older child said, "Mom, my friends asked me if you're a hippie and this bothers me, please cut it."
3)My boyfriend said, "I like shorter hair--it's sexy."
4)My friend said, "Your hair is too long and it is dragging your face down...it shouldn't be longer than chest length." Her comment is totally coming from a place of jealousy because her hair was mid back length and it had to be cut due to over processing.

All these comments drove me bananas! I was happy with my mid back length hair and it was healthy. However, I cut three inches off three weeks ago and have to admit I miss those inches that no longer hang down my back. Now I am up to bra strap length. Although my older child asked me to cut more, I stated, "This is wear I stop". Note that 'wear' is misspelled! lol.

I hope one day I will find the strength to not allow my insecurities about my appearance overrun me.

Heidi_234
November 9th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Saying something like "yeah...", or "I'll think about that", "okay", "maybe" and such can work well. I used this one for a comment on my clothes (but it can as easily apply for hair) "gosh I love it when somebody burns more brain cells on the way I look than I do :D".

At any rate, it's all about getting rid of that person's interest in the topic, regarless of how you really feel about it. After all, we all know what we want for our hair, and it's nobody else's business really.

Hydrilus
November 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
My sister is always trying to find new ways to convince me to cut it (she's 8 years older than me by the way). I just have to tell her that "I've never had longer hair before and it's something I want to try, so just drop it already!"

I told her a few months ago that I'd cut it after the winter (I lied :p) and that kept her quiet for a while but she still makes her opinion known to me every now and then.

Islandgrrl
November 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've only had one unsolicited comment recently about cutting my hair and it was from a co-worker @ the gym. I had taken my hair down after spin class and was having a huge hair day, and she walked by me and flipped the ends of my hair and said something like, wow you have too much hair.

So I called her on it and asked her what she meant. She said it was "just too much hair." I laughed and said, "No such thing as too much hair." And I think she got the idea from the look on my face that the conversation was O.V.E.R.

I routinely get asked by family members stuff like, "How long are you going to let that grow?" My answer is unwavering: "Until I'm done growing it."

The last person who asked me if I was growing it to donate it got the answer, "Why, yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing! How did you guess?" The sarcasm was entirely lost, but hey, I knew what I said.

I just don't care anymore. You want to tell me what you think of my hair? Fine. I'll let you think you're right, all the while marveling internally at what an a$$hat you are.

bte
November 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
"You look like a hippie"

Peace, man!

End of conversation.

enfys
November 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
People disapprove of my hair? I have a pretty good filtering system and jealous friends (in a good way).

I hope it's not something I ever encounter, but this thread has given me good ideas if I do. Maybe it's because I'm British? We don't speak our minds too much incase we cause offence.

eta; we also can't spell apparently...

Jennie80
November 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I don`t care. My husband thinks that really long hair is ugly but what do I care what he thinks of my hair. I don`t mind how he has his hair. And he knows what I think. My friends also thinks it`s ugly with long hair and I still don`t care haha..I think it`s fantastic with long hair and I´m in charge of my hair..
My mom tried to cut a peace of yesterday and I said no. It`s 69cm and whant every one of them. her answer was: Have you measured it?? And I said: of course..Now I know that normal people doesn`t do that hahahaha

JCFantasy23
November 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I haven't met anyone rude enough to start disapproving of my hair openly yet, thank God. Not sure how I'd react.

Madame J
November 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
When my mom makes a negative comment about my appearance, I start calling her by her mother's name, since she hates it when her mother tells her to put on makeup or fix her hair. Oddly enough, when I had waist-length hair in college, the only people that said anything to me about, except my mom, loved it. Now, it's not really long enough to be offensive to anyone.

Jennie80
November 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
So far my hair is not that long so nobody is commenting it but they are commenting my goal..And I still don`t care haha

Jim
November 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
My response to anyone who tells me to get a haircut usually follows the form: You are entitled to your opinion... I just don't give a (insert expletive here) what it is!

The expletive is only needed occasionally for really rude people. Friends and people who are joking don't get it...

Oh, and remember to smile when you say it.. :)

GlassEyes
November 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
i forgot to mention this, and I don't know if I have said this on here before.

Last January, I saw my Aunt for the first time in about three years---maybe longer, because hse hand't seen me with long hair. One of the comments she made was "Don't you want to cut it to look more clean cut?"

I promptly told her that I liked my hair, but I was a little ticked off. What I really wanted to say was "Maybe I'd take your opinion into consideration if I saw you more than once every three years", but I doubt my father would've appreciated that.

XD I swear I'm not this contrary...oh, ********, I can't even pretend I'm not. I'm totally this antagonizing in real life. :P

YoginiCelestial
November 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
They can kiss my royal hiney!:p

Boudicca
November 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Two responses that usually stop people like that in their tracks:

1. "Goodness! How rude you are!"
2. "That was a really thoughtless and nasty comment. You hurt me."

Complimenting the person immediately after and then walking away is funny too - it usually shows them what they've done by contrasting their crappy manners and your sweet manners.

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I suppose I've been blessed that most people don't express their disapproval in an overt way. I have had suspicions that some folks would like to say something, possibly negative, but maybe they have the good grace to keep quiet.............or they may be afraid of me?? I don't know? LOL!

If someone did express disapproval of my hair, I hope I would be able to think of something brilliant to say at that moment..........like "you must have me confused with someone who values your opinion".........maybe? What do you think?? (o:

pinkbunny
November 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I am the only one on TLHC who caved in due to so many cut-your-hair comments. Below is what I heard:

2)My older child said, "Mom, my friends asked me if you're a hippie and this bothers me, please cut it."
4)My friend said, "Your hair is too long and it is dragging your face down...it shouldn't be longer than chest length." Her comment is totally coming from a place of jealousy because her hair was mid back length and it had to be cut due to over processing.

To mom: "Sure! I'll put that on my list of things to do when I grow up!"
To older child: "Your friends are rude little punks and it bothers me."
To boyfriend: "I like having a BF who loves me for who I am - manipulating comments are a turn-off."
To friend: *blank stare* "Oh I'm sorry - were you speaking?"

Wow, I can't believe so many people have been so rude to you! :( I hope you can look past all the comments and decide what you want and be able to stand your ground...

YoginiCelestial
November 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
One day last week, I got to work and went to the bathroom and when I looked in the mirror I was shocked! I way overdid it on the argan oil and had way more strand separation than normal. I almost went back home to try to rinse up and come back. But I didn't. If anyone had said anything at work about my hair, I would have probably agreed with them and shrugged it off. The day went by fine, but I was very self-consiencious about it. I am much more careful now about checking an double checking my hair before I head out in the morning.

DMARTINEZ
November 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM

All these comments drove me bananas! I was happy with my mid back length hair and it was healthy. However, I cut three inches off three weeks ago and have to admit I miss those inches that no longer hang down my back. Now I am up to bra strap length. Although my older child asked me to cut more, I stated, "This is wear I stop". Note that 'wear' is misspelled! lol.

I hope one day I will find the strength to not allow my insecurities about my appearance overrun me.

No Pinchbeck, you are not the only one.....:( I only had a few comments,and nothing too
harsh,and not even from my husband,but they niggled away at me,and I caved too. I can
tell you,NEVER again will I listen to ANYONE but me. Hard lesson to learn,but there it is. Be
true to yourself.....:flowers:

Deb

heidihug
November 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I can tell you, NEVER again will I listen to ANYONE but me.
I can tell you that the older I get, the more I view this as a universal truth to live by, Deb.

going gray
November 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
When someone says you should cut your hair, just say "why do you want some"!

DMARTINEZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM

LOL, good one!!! :)

Deb

Yozhik
November 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
It's so silly that strangers think that hair is something they are entitled to an opinion on. It's not like it's socially acceptable to go up to someone on the street or comment on their make-up or weight . . .
Grrrr
Luckily, my parents and DBF are aware of my hair goals and support me.
One of my friends keeps on telling me that a bob would look so cute on me, but I'm not caving!

jojo
November 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have a long face and have been told long hair makes me look like a horse! charming! I say neigh it doesn't!

prittykitty
November 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Nobody says anything to me about my hair but I will say that I am so sick of other family members and friends constantly telling my husband to get his hair cut. He has long hair a little past his shoulders. If he wanted it cut I can promise that he would have already done it whether I liked it or not. Still, he is content with his hair this length and I love it. I just wish others would lay off. This is not just sometimes, this is every single time there is a family gathering, someone has to bring it up and tell him that he really needs to get his hair cut. Some will even go as far as telling him that it looks bad when it doesn't. I have told other members that if we have to hear this every time, they will see less of us. One family member had the nerve to invite him over and offered to cut it for him. I was a little upset by this! Why can't people just leave well enough alone?

CaityBear
November 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Whatever floats your boat. I happen to like long hair, if you don't then you can continue to keep yours short.

Honestly, I would just point out that I personally happen to like long hair and I don't care what other people think.

Nightshade
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
There are people that disapprove of my hair? ;)

Well, if there are, and I'm sure they exist they:
1) apparently don't have the guts to say anything to my face or
1a) know that I wouldn't care if they did.

:twisted:

vindo
November 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Noone ever really tells me to cut. I think many are intimidated..:lol:, I always seem very convinced of what I wear...

Runzel
November 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My response is a simple "I like it this way."

"You should cut your hair."
"Oh, but I like it this way!"

"Why don't you cut your hair?"
"Because I like it this way."

"When are you planning to cut your hair?"
"I don't know. I curently like it the way it is."

:shrug:

Madame J
November 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Noone ever really tells me to cut. I think many are intimidated..:lol:, I always seem very convinced of what I wear...

Yeah, the one common comment I got in college when I cut my waist-length hair up above my shoulders was "You're so much more approachable with short hair."

Well... darn.

Shastrix
November 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM

You win a :Star:!

DMARTINEZ
November 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have a long face and have been told long hair makes me look like a horse! charming! I say neigh it doesn't!

No way Jojo,,,thats just wrong! I have a long face too,and Im getting jowls, aint
life grand? lol

Deb

The Empress
November 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM
if a total stranger comes and tell you do to something with your hair, then there must be something very wrong with it.

other than that, you cant please everyone, some will like you better with shorter, some with longer here.

at the end of the day it's all up to you.

and how do you respond them?
simple 'yeah ok' gives them no more arguments.

and if someone's pushy you tell them to **** off :D

LittleOrca
November 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
if a total stranger comes and tell you do to something with your hair, then there must be something very wrong with it.

I disagree. We are not here to decorate anyone else's world and if they don't like how my hair is, there doesn't have to be something wrong with it. Long hair is not something that is wrong, just different.

BeatlesFanGirl
November 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I like to sound that I'm a hippie so if someone calls me a hippie I'm even more proud :D If someone told me that I should cut my hair - I'd say 'No way! I'm a hippie, I'm not cutting it!" :)

Medievalmaniac
November 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I don't. respond, that is. I ignore them, or stare at them until they go away (a trick I learned from my cats. ;op )

rach
November 11th, 2009, 06:55 AM
*I'm fed up of looking like societies clones ........
*I'm not after a quick fix , i'm on my long term dream project ;)

someone gave me a weird look when they felt my hair the other day. To be honest i don't know if it was a positive or a negative reaction but i'm shrugging it off anyway...:shrug:

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I disagree. We are not here to decorate anyone else's world and if they don't like how my hair is, there doesn't have to be something wrong with it. Long hair is not something that is wrong, just different.

dont tell me bout long hair sweety. i have had it LONG for my whole life.
I was not alluding if a total stranger comes at tells you your hair sucks just because of the lenght, but if its damaged, if it has not been taken care of, if it is looks like a witch hair...

And it has to reach like the last level of damaged or abandoned for someone on the street to comes and tell you you have something to do about it.

There is a difference between long hair and ****ed up hair.

pdy2kn6
November 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Its mine not yours.... nothing to do with them. Although I have noticed I got less and less comments (comments to cut it) as my hair got longer. When it was at that awkward shoulder length style I would get all that ''mop head''....''go cut your hair'' malarky, but now all that is gone. Probably because noone can see what I have hidden in my bun lol

Feli
November 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I just continue to be amazed at how many of you have people telling you to cut your hair. Over here in Germany that just does not happen. It must be some sort of cultural thing but I just can't imagine anyone here telling you what to do with your hair, how to dress or anything like that. I wonder why it happens so much in America?

ladycatpurrs
November 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I was not alluding if a total stranger comes at tells you your hair sucks just because of the lenght, but if its damaged, if it has not been taken care of, if it is looks like a witch hair...

And it has to reach like the last level of damaged or abandoned for someone on the street to comes and tell you you have something to do about it.

actually ,sweety, total strangers will try to tell you what to do with your hair, regardless of its health..and it really doesn't matter whether the hair is stunning or "witch hair", whatever that may be, it is still not their business..each to his own and respect for everyone...you know, the things that intelligent and compassionate people have for others

logica_divina
November 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I tend to be as polite or better - neutral as possible. Personally, I think being aggressive or rude in any way is not the answer (ok, I tend to break this rule from time to time - mainly due to my mood at that moment) simply cause it's one of the ways you're almost letting them know you actually care what they think.

toaster
November 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I work in a church, and people often give me a hard time about the long hours I work, and yet they always expect me to be there to solve their problems. Kind of a mixed message.
Anyway, I get told to cut my hair a lot, and I just say that I shaved it the last time I had a day off! Or if I'm in a bit of a fun mood I'll say "That's what they said to Samson".
I often get called Jesus, so I just say that I was shooting for "artist" so I guess I'm an over-achiever.
I occasionally get called hippie, to which I respond "No, biker. Would you like to meet my friends?"
I have a really nice bike, and often ride with a bunch of the church elders, so that just makes them laugh.

linda g
November 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I work in a church, and people often give me a hard time about the long hours I work, and yet they always expect me to be there to solve their problems. Kind of a mixed message.
Anyway, I get told to cut my hair a lot, and I just say that I shaved it the last time I had a day off! Or if I'm in a bit of a fun mood I'll say "That's what they said to Samson".
I often get called Jesus, so I just say that I was shooting for "artist" so I guess I'm an over-achiever.
I occasionally get called hippie, to which I respond "No, biker. Would you like to meet my friends?"
I have a really nice bike, and often ride with a bunch of the church elders, so that just makes them laugh.

The Samson comment is perfect! :laugh:

Laululintu
November 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I mostly ignore the people I know, and change the topic of conversation. If they're not willing to end the conversation there, I'll say something along the lines of "I fail to see how my choice of hairstyle really has an effect on your life".

pinkbunny
November 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I just continue to be amazed at how many of you have people telling you to cut your hair. Over here in Germany that just does not happen. It must be some sort of cultural thing but I just can't imagine anyone here telling you what to do with your hair, how to dress or anything like that. I wonder why it happens so much in America?

I've noticed a declining trend in manners lately. Some of it's due to bad parenting passed down through generations, some is abuse of the first amendment, the rest are just ignorant pricks... I haven't been harrassed so much about cutting my hair, but people will approach me for the weirdest/stupidest/rudest comments and it never ceases to blow my mind.

Gypsygirl
November 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Not at all! I've been called a "weirdo new age hippie" and worse things...

Rosamunde
November 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Toaster, I love your replies - very clever!

RancheroTheBee
November 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM

There is really no excuse for that kind of response.

Hydrilus
November 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Nobody says anything to me about my hair but I will say that I am so sick of other family members and friends constantly telling my husband to get his hair cut. He has long hair a little past his shoulders. If he wanted it cut I can promise that he would have already done it whether I liked it or not. Still, he is content with his hair this length and I love it. I just wish others would lay off. This is not just sometimes, this is every single time there is a family gathering, someone has to bring it up and tell him that he really needs to get his hair cut. Some will even go as far as telling him that it looks bad when it doesn't. I have told other members that if we have to hear this every time, they will see less of us. One family member had the nerve to invite him over and offered to cut it for him. I was a little upset by this! Why can't people just leave well enough alone?

Geeze...when will they get a clue? This is how my sister is because she brings up cutting my hair constantly. I've told her I'd cut it after the winter this season just to get her off my back (even though I don't plan to cut it) but she STILL persists, "When are you going to cut your hair? When are you going to cut your hair?" I guess she thinks I'll give in and cut it if she keeps on pushing me or something but I'm not the type that gives up like that. Would have thought she'd have figured that out by NOW...lol

LittleOrca
November 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM

actually ,sweety, total strangers will try to tell you what to do with your hair, regardless of its health..and it really doesn't matter whether the hair is stunning or "witch hair", whatever that may be, it is still not their business..each to his own and respect for everyone...you know, the things that intelligent and compassionate people have for others

Exactly, Ladycatpurrs.

And Empress, sweety, total strangers will tell you to do all sorts of things with your hair whether it's damaged or not. It has nothing to do with damage or lack there of. It has everything to do with them projecting their dislikes upon you and you needing to have the inner strength to tell them where to shove their scissors.... in a polite way.

LittleOrca
November 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
"I fail to see how my choice of hairstyle really has an effect on your life".

:applause.........

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I never said its any of their business. Quote me if i did.

Put yourself for a second in strangers shoes.

You walking down the street, i walk by you. You dont know me, i'm a total stranger to you.
And the first thing your eye caughts up is my witch hair. You may think what the **** is wrong with her or something, or whatever, it doesnt matter.
Will you come and tell me my hair sucks, no matter in how bad shape it may be?
I dont think so.

Neither would I.

Coz it's not my business.

There might be people doing that, i dont know, cant claim anything. I personally have never met one.

But if you were my sister and there is something really wrong with your hair, i will come and tell you because i love you.
You may take it wrong, but as a sister I will tell you.
If then you decide to do something about it or not, its totally your decision and none of my business.

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Exactly, Ladycatpurrs.

And Empress, sweety, total strangers will tell you to do all sorts of things with your hair whether it's damaged or not. It has nothing to do with damage or lack there of. It has everything to do with them projecting their dislikes upon you and you needing to have the inner strength to tell them where to shove their scissors.... in a polite way.

I guess then it's only in america strangers acting like buttheads. Over here no one gives a **** what your hair looks like.

And at the end of the day if they are not polite to you, no reason for you to be polite to them. Tell them they can shove it up right in the a** and have no regrets about it.

Amara
November 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM

other than that, you cant please everyone...

In these two places, you're implying that there's justification for saying something about someone's hair if it's damaged and looks like "witch hair," even if, later, you say you would merely think that they're hair is bad, but you wouldn't say anything, but with your earlier comments, you said it would be understandable for someone else do say so. That's why people are saying you think it's other people's business.

I never said its any of their business. Quote me if i did.

Put yourself for a second in strangers shoes.

You walking down the street, i walk by you. You dont know me, i'm a total stranger to you.
And the first thing your eye caughts up is my witch hair. You may think what the **** is wrong with her or something, or whatever, it doesnt matter.
Will you come and tell me my hair sucks, no matter in how bad shape it may be?
I dont think so.

Neither would I.

Coz it's not my business.

There might be people doing that, i dont know, cant claim anything. I personally have never met one.

But if you were my sister and there is something really wrong with your hair, i will come and tell you because i love you.
You may take it wrong, but as a sister I will tell you.
If then you decide to do something about it or not, its totally your decision and none of my business.

I agree with your point here, telling someone you love an opinion you honestly have can be helpful, as long as you're doing it in a kind way.

Your aggressive language is putting people off, I think that's why your opinions maybe are being misunderstood. :)

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
In these two places, you're implying that there's justification for saying something about someone's hair if it's damaged and looks like "witch hair," even if, later, you say you would merely think that they're hair is bad, but you wouldn't say anything, but with your earlier comments, you said it would be understandable for someone else do say so. That's why people are saying you think it's other people's business.

Yes, in extreme cases it'd be totaly understandable why someone would do that, but i didnt say its justified. Or maybe it is?

If they think they have something to say about your hair it's their right to. Freedom of speach, right?

And you telling them is none of their business, thats your right too. You just cant stop people from saying and doing what they want.
You and I and others dont approve it, we say it's wrong to do that. But there are people who agree with 'the strangers', you know what I mean?

I agree with your point here, telling someone you love an opinion you honestly have can be helpful, as long as you're doing it in a kind way.

Your aggressive language is putting people off, I think that's why your opinions maybe are being misunderstood. :)

Agressive?

If by not placing a smilie on every post of mine people get offended, then i'll start doing that.
Coz i never meant to be rude or offend anyone. I dont even know you people.
If anyone was offended by my way of talking i do apologize and you Amara I thank for making me aware of things :)

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I screwed up the quite above, but anyway :D

RavennaNight
November 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
If there was a tree nearby I would run to it and behave overly amorously towards it and send the person calling me a hippie into fit of uncontrollable laughter. If something is said to be rude or mean, I would ignore, and depending on the source take some polite but not-so-friendly verbal jabs at them in return.

RavennaNight
November 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Dude, who's Sweety?

LittleOrca
November 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Dude, who's Sweety?

You are! *tosses sugar on RavennaNight* :D

ladycatpurrs
November 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
If there was a tree nearby I would run to it and behave overly amorously towards it and send the person calling me a hippie into fit of uncontrollable laughter. .

LOL!! And all some trees can hope for is a hug, you go Ravenna :eyebrows:

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I think my circle of friends/family have seen my hair long all of my life and really don't comment. I've learned new updos since joining up here, and I get compliments on them from time to time. And also I've had my mom say my hair definitely looks better at this length than the last time I let it get this long (ten years ago, with dye and perm damage, and with no trimming).

Mostly what I get are "You ought to donate", which I'm probably the only one who took in a negative way. I'm sure the person who suggested it meant it nicely. But if they refer me to Locks of Love, I'm always happy to educate them. ;)

JaneinMarch
November 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
It's usually my family saying that I should grow it out/ stop cutting it. I kept it short for about half of '08. I started growing again because of the hair boards :D.

When they comment I just smile until they're done talking or agree with them, regardless of what I plan to do with my hair.

toaster
November 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
But if they refer me to Locks of Love, I'm always happy to educate them. ;)
Educate me, please. What's the deal with Locks of Love? (I'm new around here)

Hydrilus
November 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know the details as I just learned a bit about this too since I joined here hehe...
...but supposedly the hair that gets donated isn't used in the way everyone thinks it is.

Jamie, if you could elaborate please hehe:D

23_seconds
November 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
How do you respond to people that disapprove of your hair?

I don't -- because it's their problem! :D

pinchbeck
November 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM
It's so silly that strangers think that hair is something they are entitled to an opinion on. It's not like it's socially acceptable to go up to someone on the street or comment on their make-up or weight . . .
Grrrr
Luckily, my parents and DBF are aware of my hair goals and support me.
One of my friends keeps on telling me that a bob would look so cute on me, but I'm not caving!

I guess that puts me in that category of 'I think I am entitled'. (Sorry I don't know how to respond to part of your reply without including its entirely...duh).

I saw a girl with almost knee-length hair and was admiring it from behind her. I was in line to get a coffee with my family at Tim Horton's and didn't even order because I wanted to touch her hair and compliment her. I walked up to her and told her my thoughts and ask if I could touch her hair. She said, yes. I picked the bottom up and observed it while listening to her mother say, "she wants to cut it". In horror I responded with, "why"". She added it would be donated to cancer. I asked how short they would cut it and they pointed to her mid back. I quickly reminded them that she could cut off 10" instead of one million inches and that she was unique and stood out with her length. They said they didn't know that 10" was all that was required.

So...I suppose I am a bum!:D

PS: Definitely keep pursuing your hair goals and don't listen to anyone because if you're insecure like myself, you'll cave in and have regrets. In once cut my mid-back length hair to a bob because a friend told me my jaw was too square and that a bob would soften it. What a effin bee she was and what an idiot I was for thinking her opinion mattered more than my own.

akurah
November 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Haven't read the entire thread cause I'm lazy, but to answer the title question?

Tell the person "I'm sorry you feel that way." You acknowledge their statement in a non-condescending manner without assuming guilt or responsibility. This should always be a default reaction as you don't know who you'll piss off (such as a boss or coworker or someone else who can influence your life negatively), though on a case by case basis you can probably decide whether or not a nastier answer is not going to bite you back sometime later.

In fact, "I'm sorry you feel that way" is a pretty useful response for MANY situations, not just ones like these. It's a trick I picked up from my dad, and I'm glad I learned it.

amoulixes
November 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
In fact, "I'm sorry you feel that way" is a pretty useful response for MANY situations, not just ones like these. It's a trick I picked up from my dad, and I'm glad I learned it.

One of my favorites, and exactly what I would say :)

otherarrow
November 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
"Oh, I'm so glad someone told me! I was wondering why my mirrors have been breaking when I've looked in them":rolleyes:

but most of the time a "good for you" will do just fine.

Keildra
November 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I'm so filing away these responses for future use.

BranwenWolf
November 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM
I try to compliment or smile at the other longhairs I meet because I know they are likely catching flack, especially those going long and silver.

For other people disapproving my hair? I just laugh and ignore them.

Flynn
November 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
Educate me, please. What's the deal with Locks of Love? (I'm new around here)

The major objections I have heard are that very significant proportion of donations recieved are either discarded or sold, something which they do not really tell anyone about.

Also, a lot of people object to their less-than-transparency in the way they work. They apparently don't give wigs to cancer kids, even though their advertising makes it appear they do, and they apparently don't give the wigs away, they sell them on payment plans.

All in all, they smell like a very profitable "not-for-prrofit".

boomygrrl
November 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
My hair is long but not by LHC standards. I dont get comments about the length, but I do about it being curly. "Why don't you straighten it?"

I like to say "Hmmm, I'll give that some thought," with a fake smile and bland stare.

When my curly hair is messy, sometimes my hubby makes some kind of remark about it that's negative. He's losing his hair, so I tell him "at least I have hair!"

I like the response "It is, isn't it?" I think I might use that one when someone asks me to do something to my hair (cut, straighten)...tee hee

kmoc123
November 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I AM a hippie and proud of it!!!!

AutumnSky
November 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
And the first thing your eye caughts up is my witch hair. You may think what the **** is wrong with her or something, or whatever, it doesnt matter

Empress, you've said this twice, so I'm going to take a moment to let you know that the use of the word "witch" to describe nasty snarly hair is patently offensive to myself, and possibly several others here that practice earth-based religions, or identify as Witches.
All of whom, I can assure you, have lovely, well-cared-for hair. :D

AutumnSky
November 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
oh, and as for the original question,

I think it's more of a guy thing, to be harassed about the length of one's hair? I've never had anything but positive comments about my length, color, whatever....EXCEPT:

One former friend, who was constantly saying things like "you'd be so cute with a bob" or "look at all that hair! I just want to chop it off to your ears!", and so forth.

I would just tell her:
"it's a good thing you don't get to make that call", or
"Don't be catty because I can pull this off, and you can't", or, my favorite
"Done yet? Good. Now, about that XYZ......."

InTheCity
November 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I wish I didn't have a response to this but I just saw my mom (I went to the store, got orange juice and brought it to her house because she has a cold) and she asked "what are you going to do about that hair. It needs like 6 inches cut off."
I said "huh? I just got a trim in Sept, my ends are perfect."
"No but it looks so much thicker at the top, the bottom is so thin. And when's the last time you washed it?"
"I washed it 2 days ago but I oiled it and bunned it, which as you can see didn't work so well for me. I was just experimenting." (Which is true, it looks silly.)

I'm starting to get so down about my thickness. She is like the third person that said something about it. :(

Little_Bird
November 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
If someone tells me I should cut my hair, what I like to reply, altough I don't always remember, is "I think you should grow yours!"...

And I do ;) :eyebrows:

Francoise1606
December 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The way I responded to comments depend on the way they were delivered. If the person made a polite suggestion, then I simply informed them that I liked my hair. But if it was said in a deliberately hurtful way then I would get upset and defensive and tell them to shut up.
( I write in past tense because I don't have long hair anymore.) Strangely, I got more negative comments when my hair was short around apl than when it was long...

Judith336
December 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
'I don't care. I like it.'

Something like that. It really helps, people usually laugh and switch subject. If they start nagging about 'how it must be difficult to maintain and wouldn't be easier if you just cut it off' I have practised a vacant stare with one eyebrow raised followed by a short 'NO' And then I change subject. Works for me :D

curlylocks85
December 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If anyone ever said to me, "You should cut your hair." I would reply, "You should mind your business."

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
THat was one of the follow ups I hate after they say, "Wow, your hair is long......do you ever think of cutting it?" Kind of annoying. As bad as saying to someone you just met, "Oh, I've heard so many THINGS about you..." Without saying if they are good or bad! People are just weirdly, vaguely, rude sometimes.

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Oh but I had a cousin I never liked and I was cajoled into lunching with her and another relative. She spend most of the time quizzing me about why I didn't STRAIGHTEN it. Now I remember why I didn't like her, she is a queen of making people uncomfortable themselves.

Amraann
December 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I do not really get bad hair comments.

When I lived in the Keys one of hubby's employees was not very kind but she also had long hair.
(after getting to know her I realized she was just a jealous type) Wanted me to cut it so that she was the only long hair living on our tiny island.
I think it pissed her off that others would always comment on my hair and not hers which was just as long.

Another person we knew who have a serious crush on hubby and was very verbal about it would make negative comments but she did that about everything! (to her I would just always say "hubby likes it" because I knew that would irritate her)

The only person recently who tells me to cut it is a good friend of mine.
She is not mean about it and likes it long but does not like that I have long layers in it and believes it should be cut whenever I do. She just thinks that long hair should be all one length. Either that or just kept at ones waist because that is always where she suggests I cut it to!
(it is tail bone length)
I do not really care what others think and the nice comments far outweigh the bad.

Cassi
December 27th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Well I had some catching up to do here. Where are all these rude people? My hair is usually up I admit.

I think I actually care so little maybe I just do not remember anyone saying this to me? :p

It is likely I would say, "Not an option, sweet love!" no matter if they meant it nice or nasty.

Sweet Love is the BEST. A nurse called me that at the end of calling in a prescription one time, and I LOVE it!

Eolan
December 27th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I find that the question "Why?" takes you a long way. People tend to express their minds with out having thought the statement through. I would just keep asking "Why?" until the other person would realize that saying I should cut my hair was stupid in the first place.

But really, I could'nt care less. People will tell you so many stupid things, I don't care to put any energy to it.

And I love it when people call me a hippie. Seriously, who wouldn't want to be a hippie? :D

vampodrama
December 27th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I think the response is very simple. When someone says "I think you should cut your hair", just say "No." That's all. Very simple. That's what I always do. :pumpkin:

prittykitty
December 27th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I am very surprised that people will tell women to get their long hair cut. It's usually the men with the long hair that get those types of comments. My husband has long, shoulder length hair and growing. He continuously gets told to get a haircut by family and even sometimes by friends. As usual he just ignores it. What really gets me is when we run into someone we haven't seen in a long time and that someone starts questioning him as to why he is growing his hair out. Then I hear that particular person asking if I am the reason he is growing it out as they make a face about it. Then he gets the speech about not letting anyone tell him to grow his hair out if he doesn't want it. These are usually old co-workers from his former job. Umm excuse me but did he say he didn't like his long hair or did either of us ask for your opinion in the first place? At least this is what I feel like saying.

Sarahmoon
December 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Fortunately I never had strangers being so rude. My hair is usually up or in a braid and then people don't seem to notice the length so much. I've had some people say "Your hair is so long, will you ever cut it?" and then I just say "When I feel like it."

If I ever have a stranger being that rude to me in my home town, I'll just pretend I don't understand Dutch :D (There are lots of foreign students where I live).

thelittleredfox
December 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM
It has happened to me quite a few times, generally with acquaintances rather than complete strangers.

I just say 'well I like it".

Why do people think it is ok to tell you you should get your hair cut off? You'd never tell someone they should need to wear some makeup, or pluck their eyebrows, or get a properly fitting bra... :rolleyes:

walterSCAN
December 29th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah, my usual response is a simple "no!" or "never!" I don't usually get negative comments from strangers though, I've been told I'm intimidating. (Which makes absolutely no sense... I'm far too small to be intimidating, in my opinion.) So most of the "you should cut your hair" comments are from friends or family-- who have all but given up by now, which is nice!

I have been badgered endlessly about donating it (by acquaintances and strangers alike), which pisses me right off... It's MY hair, and I'm growing it for ME... Why would I give it away? (Which is actually my usual response.)

Kirzja
December 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Why do people think it is ok to tell you you should get your hair cut off? You'd never tell someone they should need to wear some makeup, or pluck their eyebrows, or get a properly fitting bra... :rolleyes:

Well actually... when I was 12, a classmate asked me why I wasn't wearing any make-up. 'Do you think you are pretty enough to do without?' he asked, in a not-too-kind manner. :angry:

Igor
December 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I shrug and move on with my life, completely forgetting their comment (Or remembering it for future mockery among friends)

Because I also get comments on my weight, my total lack of tan, my dislike for makeup, my boring way of dressing….

That’s life for you. We should all change these things if we listened to the voices around us… And then take up a loan with X bank, buy trendy shoes, go for a holiday in Y country, switch to energy light bulbs, donate money to Z…

Or, just find happiness in your choices and it will be easier to ignore these things

ZadenWillowfyre
December 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I say I'm embracing my Celtic heritage hehehehe. Though I have some Viking/Nordic as well.

GlamFanatic
December 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've always found it interesting that women (and the beauty industry) go to such extreme lengths (no pun intended) to create a market for the exhorbitantly priced "hair extensions". It was when I finally realized it was a 'conspiracy' (only half joking) to enrich the 'beauty companies, to keep us jumping back and forth and being told in makeover shows to cut our hair (except I notice on Oprah, where their makeovers are all about just being dramatically different....if you start with long hair they insist on cutting it, while the people with short hair are given extensions!! WTH?)

Unofficial_Rose
December 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Responses:

Fantastic! I especially like the first one. :rollin:No-one, but no-one, would be expecting that :D

Unfortunately I'm a little too aggressive to pass as a hippie - kind of working on that one.

curlylocks85
December 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, my usual response is a simple "no!" or "never!" I don't usually get negative comments from strangers though, I've been told I'm intimidating. (Which makes absolutely no sense... I'm far too small to be intimidating, in my opinion.) So most of the "you should cut your hair" comments are from friends or family-- who have all but given up by now, which is nice!

I have been badgered endlessly about donating it (by acquaintances and strangers alike), which pisses me right off... It's MY hair, and I'm growing it for ME... Why would I give it away? (Which is actually my usual response.)

People tell me I am intimidating too. I don't think it has to do with size but rather how people view me. I have been told that my eyes make me unapproachable. I suppose I have deep penetrating eyes.

young&reckless
December 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
People tell me I am intimidating too. I don't think it has to do with size but rather how people view me. I have been told that my eyes make me unapproachable. I suppose I have deep penetrating eyes.

At 5 foot 2 you think people would not be scared of my but according to three guy I drove out of the pub two weeks ago I'm hostle. :D

But they did like my hair.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM

I don't think total strangers even have the right to tell someone to do something about damaged hair, too short skirts, muffin topped hip-huggers, plumber's crack, nothing. LOL. That's just me, tho. People should learn the meaning of civility and just leave folks alone. And thinking about it, what would give them the right to do such? Are they truly empathetic or are they lacking self-esteem and feel the urge to bludgeon somebody else with hateful speech? Yeah, I'd say that no one has the right to comment negatively upon someone's looks.

Arriens
December 31st, 2009, 04:49 AM
too short skirts,There is no such thing. :eyebrows:
Anyway, few people have the curage to tell me that they disaprove of me. Which I am happy for.
However, usually I just ignore them or look at them at a creepy way. Problems solves themself. :)

may1em
December 31st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Either a snarky "I'll take that under advisement" or a more polite "I'll cut it if I stop enjoying it so much."

AuntyClaus
December 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have to agree, I like the Viking heritage comment. It's one of those comments that might set a person back somewhat and make them a bit worried they're not being 'politically correct' about something ... hee hee.

I think it also makes them vaguely worried that she might "go Viking" on their butts. :D

Princess J
December 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
When people have commented on my hair, it has only ever been compliments.

The only time I have ever had a negative comment was about six years ago. My boyfriend at the time said he didn't like my hair, and asked me to cut it. So I did. It was waist length, and I got it cut to shoulder length. It did look nice, but I only really did it to please him, which was kinda sad in every way.

We aren't together anymore, my hair is waist length again, and I will never again mess with my hair just to please someone else!

aksown
December 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I am working on perfecting the blank stare, followed by the ever-so-slow raising of a single eyebrow. I plan on whipping it out the first time someone comments on my hair. It's almost enough to make me wish the people in my area were that rude! :eyebrows:

Libilou
December 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
The only person who disapproves of my hair is my mother. She says older women (I'm 41, I'm not old!) should have short hair.

I just smile and ignore her. It's my hair. I do look cute with short hair, but it is such a bother. Too much time to do my hair everyday. Now I can just put it up into an updo and go.

Hydrilus
December 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
I am working on perfecting the blank stare, followed by the ever-so-slow raising of a single eyebrow. I plan on whipping it out the first time someone comments on my hair. It's almost enough to make me wish the people in my area were that rude! :eyebrows:

This made me laugh :D

I pulled the "Why, you want some?" response on my sister the other day when she asked "Why don't you cut your hair?" She said "Yeah!" as if to play along, but that's where the discussion ended hehe

georgia_peach
December 31st, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not comfortable with confrontation (though I admire those who are :)). Since I know that's how I am, I make an effort to avoid negative or disapproving comments.

I remember making a new friend many years ago who was from a different culture, and she explained to me the value of deflecting (rather than fighting) excessive attention from others, whether it be positive or negative. I've always remembered that and tried to put it to use. That said, I'd sometimes love to give a scathing, pointed comeback when someone makes a rude comment about my desire for long hair!!

treesandcoffee
December 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM
My hair is long but not by LHC standards. I dont get comments about the length, but I do about it being curly. "Why don't you straighten it?"

Same with me and my past hair comments! No one really cared about a particular length, but everyone seemed to be offended by the curls, especially an ex of mine. When anyone tells me I should straighten it now, I just say I'd rather not subject it to heat damage (simple and to the point). I love the "not here to decorate" line, and can't wait to use it, whether regarding my length or curls!

treesandcoffee
December 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM
THat was one of the follow ups I hate after they say, "Wow, your hair is long......do you ever think of cutting it?" Kind of annoying. As bad as saying to someone you just met, "Oh, I've heard so many THINGS about you..." Without saying if they are good or bad! People are just weirdly, vaguely, rude sometimes.

Hah, I think I would just go the very sarcastic route.

"Ever think of cutting it?"

"No, never. I've never thought about that, ever. I don't even know what you're talking about."

It may be a bit rude, but how not ruder than someone just meeting you and asking that!

walterSCAN
January 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM

Ha! Several people who are now my friends have told me that they were quite honestly terrified of me before they started actually talking to me. :confused: I think it has something to do with how I carry myself? Who knows... a (male no less!) co-worker recently told me that I should never worry about being mugged in the dark-- apparently he saw me walking back from my break and I scared the cr#$ out of him. Nothing specific, just the way I was walking... I find it bizarre.

BranwenWolf
January 1st, 2010, 01:58 AM
Ha! Several people who are now my friends have told me that they were quite honestly terrified of me before they started actually talking to me. :confused: I think it has something to do with how I carry myself? Who knows... a (male no less!) co-worker recently told me that I should never worry about being mugged in the dark-- apparently he saw me walking back from my break and I scared the cr#$ out of him. Nothing specific, just the way I was walking... I find it bizarre.

Same here. Several friends have told me they thought I was a b*tch at first.