PDA

View Full Version : How short/long/donate

Parelli4life
November 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hello everyone. So, I'm thinking I want to cut my hair. Its currently 47" and I would like to cut when it reaches 52". Any idea how short I should cut it? Just looking for some ideas. Also where would be a good place to donate? :confused:

Thanks
Parelli4life

Fractalsofhair
November 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well, why do you want to cut it? Your hair is lovely! Do you want to still have long hair, do you want a drastic change, or do you want short hair?

I'm not sure what would be a good place to donate it. Probably a place like Pantene's Beautiful Lengths. I know Locks of Love is not a good place at all!

Nevermore
November 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You could also sell your hair and donate the money to any charity. That's what I would do if I were going to use my hair for charity purposes.

Horsetuna
November 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Locks of Love is popular. A local person in a group I'm in (SCA) Is going to be donating hers if we raise enough money. Another friend will lose his if she DOESNt lose hers.

With the amount of bad tangles I'm still finding in my hair I was half pondering doing this and 'starting from scratch' to regrow nicer hair from the beginning.

Madame J
November 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
If you want to donate your hair, you'll have to get at least 10" cut off. But if you've ever dyed or heat-styled your hair, it may end up discarded, so it would be more worth it to see if you could sell it (although if a charity couldn't use it for a wig, you might not be able to sell it) and donate the money.

That said, only you can decide how much you want cut off, or if you'll even want to cut it by that time. Maybe when it gets to 52" you'll still really love it.

Themyst
November 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Locks of Love is popular. A local person in a group I'm in (SCA) Is going to be donating hers if we raise enough money. Another friend will lose his if she DOESNt lose hers.

With the amount of bad tangles I'm still finding in my hair I was half pondering doing this and 'starting from scratch' to regrow nicer hair from the beginning.

If you haven't run across this yet, you might be interested in this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34789&highlight=locks+of+love

In it and many other threads you will read about some controversy that some members believe surround Locks of Love. Perhaps it will help you and your co-worker make a more informed decision.

fisher2
November 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
i vote go to 51" but thats only cuz i hate to see a longhair fall shorter

Carolyn
November 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
If you've reached a length where it's bothering you, why not think about it a few months and then trim off a few inches. Go back to a length that was easier for you. Learn to love your hair again (if it's bugging you) and forget about donating it.

Horsetuna
November 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I was wondering about LoL myself, remember reading about it ages ago.

If anything, there IS money being raised by my friend as well, so its not just the hair going but also cash.

I will though let my friends know about LoL. We have until mid-month which is when she's getting sheared.

Myself, i was pondering though seeing about 'buying' hair from ladies who arecutting it, to use for my hand puppets (who are going to be made medieval style - so using real hair would make sense ne?)

Themyst
November 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I was wondering about LoL myself, remember reading about it ages ago.

If anything, there IS money being raised by my friend as well, so its not just the hair going but also cash.

I will though let my friends know about LoL. We have until mid-month which is when she's getting sheared.

Myself, i was pondering though seeing about 'buying' hair from ladies who arecutting it, to use for my hand puppets (who are going to be made medieval style - so using real hair would make sense ne?)

At least the hair that has been previously colored or permed or a bit damaged maybe as it would probably not be useful to a hair donation organization anyway. Also, you might check out Pantene Beautiful Lengths, some members seem to think they are more legitimate than LOL. Just google it if interested, I'm not sure if I am permitted to post a link or not since it's a place asking for donations. :shrug:

Horsetuna
November 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've seen their hair, even Tim's hair is beautiful, not sure if he has enough or if its long enough,hehee.

I'll look into it and let them know. the decision is up to them in the end though. At least money is going to cancer either way right?

BTw, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Shermie Girl
November 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I've seen their hair, even Tim's hair is beautiful, not sure if he has enough or if its long enough,hehee.

I'll look into it and let them know. the decision is up to them in the end though. At least money is going to cancer either way right?

BTw, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Locks of Love does not give money to cancer. Nor is their primary focus wigs for children with cancer. Their primary focus is children with alopecia. Most children who lose hair to cancer treatments will grow it back and are ineligible for a human hair wig under LoL's guidelines. These children are supplied synthetic wigs.

By the way, LoL doesn't give wigs to children. They sell the wigs on a sliding rate scale to the parents. There is a grueling application and essay process in addition to having to open their finances and tax records up to LoL. All for a wig.

The vast majority of hair donated to LoL doesn't get made into wigs. It doesn't meet their standards. It is either sold dirt cheap or thrown away.

If you want to cut your hair (tho I can't understand why, your hair is beautiful, why not just keep it?) to benefit others, why not cut and sell it to a reputable hair buyer who will pay you good money for it then donate the proceeds to a children's cancer hospital. Children need treatment and a cure waaay more than a wig. :flower:

Roseate
November 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone. So, I'm thinking I want to cut my hair. Its currently 47" and I would like to cut when it reaches 52". Any idea how short I should cut it? Just looking for some ideas. Also where would be a good place to donate? :confused:

Thanks
Parelli4life

So I'll leave the donation debate to others, but as to the length...

Did you have a favorite length when growing it out? Do you want to cut it shorter for convenience reasons, or because you want to change your look?

I know these are questions, not answers, but thinking about things like that may help you decide.

If it's just for style, not convenience, you could try getting fringe or face-framing layers if you don't have those already. If it's for convenience, think about past lengths you liked, or maybe just cut a few inches at a time until you reach a more manageable length. You have gorgeous hair and I'm sure it'll look great at any length!

Parelli4life
November 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I really appreciate all of your opinions and comments.

I think I need a change. I can't even really remember ever having "shorter hair". I honestly don't know what to do. I got my hair cut once and that was 13" but don't remember if I liked it or not. I've thought about cutting my hair for about a year and a half. It just got trimmed for the first time in a long time this past February. Believe it or not I can't do much with my hair. It’s extremely thick and hurts if I do anything different with it. I am kind of bored with it I guess… I like how it looks, and seems unbelievable that it’s that long but, I don’t know anymore. Long hair is all I’ve known. I think would like to try something different. But once again…. I have no idea what I would like. :confused: :confused: :confused:

sherigayle
November 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
What about trying some long layers? It's a nice change without losing any length. It can be really nice with thick hair. I can't do anything with my hair all one length, but layers really help it lay better and look more interesting down. Some updos can be more challenging, but I don't have any problems with common updos.