PDA

View Full Version : Oiling and dust

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Did you find that oiling your hair makes small dust particales cling to your hair more?

My hair is oiled 24/7 so I can't be sure if it's the oiling, or dust just tends to be clingy, oil or no oil.

Gypsy
November 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Yes, my hair is dustier with oiling.
Sometimes lint gets stuck in the oil, too, lol!

Finoriel
November 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Depends on how heavily I oil. But yes the more oil, the more dust tends to clinge to my hair, if I just lightly oil itīs hardly noticeable though.
When I know Iīm going to do dusty work I make sure to cover my hair with a double folded bandana or similar.
During pollen season I also make sure not to oil too much i.e. avoid oiling as much as possible, to not have the nasty allergenes clinging to me. I swear they come out when I comb and trying to braid or bun my hair while sneezing 50+ times is entertaining for o/h, but not so much for me :p.
I would not constantly over oil my hair, i.e. marinate the hair like for a heavy oiling pre wash without washing it soon, because of that particular reason (and the constant oiled otter look). Light oiling is fine to reduce friction and help keeping moisture better, but overoiling on a 24/7 basis didnīt turn out to be something I like. Didnīt have many benefits opposed to light oiling either, so I didnīt bother to continue with it. Had a nasty grey buildup on my comb when trying it years ago.
HTH ? Whatīs your routine at the moment? And how do you notice the dust in your hair? There are many different reasons why it could clinge to your hair. And it could also possible to avoide the dust if itīs not in your work environment and just usual dust from at home... for example it can come out of your pillow :wink: older ones are evil dust-traps - just replaced mine after shakeing it out in the sunshine *eek*.

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 02:55 AM
:justy: Yes! It annoys me because I always think it's a split end, and I sit there peering into my hair like a lonely chimp for minutes on end, only to realize it's dust.

Wicked Princess
November 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Yes, this happens to me, too! But I only notice it happening when I'm doing a heavier oiling - it almost never happens when I oil more lightly. I swear it manages to pick up dust and lint better than my lint roller does. :o

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Finoriel, I notice it mostly when I look at my ends or S&D (yes, super annoying to have these deceiving white thingies when you try to S&D!:laugh:
), I see the dust particles on the hairs, and I was wondering if it's the hair or the oil, because my ends seem to have more dust clinging to them than the length. I use coconut oil very deliberately everyday, sometimes even few times a day, but I don't get it heavily oiled though.

I know where it comes from though, the carpet in my room is the biggest most hungry dust trap I could have.

Finoriel
November 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe you should vacuum the carpet more often then, :p instead of sweeping it with your hair. :wink:

What about doing S&D only on freshly washed hair before it is oiled? That way you wonīt be disturbed by lint when looking for splits and wonīt overdo it with S&Ding either. In combination with less oiling and more vacuuming / dusting that might solve your lint problem.
Oh and check the filter (not the bag) of your vacuum cleaner, it could be full and in need of being replaced.

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM
lol, will do :wink: I'm sure my vacuum also has alot of shed hair looped over the brushed/wheel/whatever-it-is. :o

It doesn't disturb me that much, I was just wondering, since I always oil my hair (can't live without it hehe), so I thought I'd ask people who don't always do that to be certain. My only concern with the dust is that it can possibly aggravate damage of already tangled/knotted hair, I tend to see little white pieces stuck in fiery knots every so often.

halo_tightens
November 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
YES, absolutely. Dust-- and cat hairs, too.

A cat hair stuck to a human hair also looks exactly like a split at first glance. Very annoying! :rolleyes:

Peter
November 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I think my hair attracts more dust when it's oiled. Even if I do a scalp massage and "oil" my ends with sebum, it's the same effect. I'm not sure why it happens, but every 2-3 days I flip my hair upsidedown and clean out a bunch of random little particles. Ew. :D

spidermom
November 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Yes! That is the only thing that I don't like about oiling. Oil plus dust/lint causes a lot of tangling, too. Lately I am oiling while damp and then a day later using a coney serum to help me detangle. I want the best of both worlds!

Gingevere
November 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I rarely oil my hair heavily, so I don't really notice any dust. I do find lots of little fuzzies when I S&D, though. Like little bits of fiber from my clothes or sheets or something. I always confuse them with damaged ends, then when I go to snip I realize they're not, lol.

linda g
November 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
:justy: Yes! It annoys me because I always think it's a split end, and I sit there peering into my hair like a lonely chimp for minutes on end, only to realize it's dust.

That mental image made me laugh!

ravenreed
November 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have noticed dust AND lint, even with light oilings. The lint bugs me. It is usually something light colors and shows up quite well in my hair.

RoseRedDead
November 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
...I sit there peering into my hair like a lonely chimp...

This just cracked me up. :rollin:

Yes, my hair does attract more dust when it's oiled, but it's also usually up or braided when I've done that, so it's not terribly noticable.

Michou
November 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM

ahaha, I love this description, that's what I look like!

As for the OP, yes, I find that recently oiled hair is more likely to pick up the dust and such.

Hydrilus
November 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
lol I wonder if a chimp could be trained to tackle split ends...hmmmm:D

Honestwitness
November 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
The women of the 18th century used what is called a mob cap or dust bonnet to keep dust out of their hair. Also, 19th century pioneers wore their long hair up inside the bonnets you see in Little House on the Prairie. The large brims were for keeping the sun off the face, because a white complexion was much to be desired.

If these bonnets didn't look so old fashioned, it would be a wise thing for modern-day long hairs to wear. Actually, you can still purchase a mob cap at www.headcoverings.com. They look like a roomy shower cap, only made out of cotton, and with a ruffle.

Tinose
November 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
My hair tends to get a lot more dust when it's oiled, too. It makes sense, but it's kind of annoying.

YoginiCelestial
November 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The women of the 18th century used what is called a mob cap or dust bonnet to keep dust out of their hair. Also, 19th century pioneers wore their long hair up inside the bonnets you see in Little House on the Prairie. The large brims were for keeping the sun off the face, because a white complexion was much to be desired.

If these bonnets didn't look so old fashioned, it would be a wise thing for modern-day long hairs to wear. Actually, you can still purchase a mob cap at www.headcoverings.com. They look like a roomy shower cap, only made out of cotton, and with a ruffle.

That's right! I remember watching episodes of Little House on the Prairie! That was my favorite show.
I usually put my argan oil on right after my shower and towel dry. Then when doing my mineral make-up I have to be really careful not to stir up a dust storm! It will settle along the edges of my hair and look like lice! :o

InTheCity
November 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ooooh, now I get it.
I was so frustrated looking at my hair to see if I could find splits and saw more dust particles than I could stand sorting through.

I don't oil much, but I certainly had oiled hair when I noticed the dust today.

longhairedfairy
November 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM

If these bonnets didn't look so old fashioned, it would be a wise thing for modern-day long hairs to wear. Actually, you can still purchase a mob cap at www.headcoverings.com (http://www.headcoverings.com). They look like a roomy shower cap, only made out of cotton, and with a ruffle.
Or you can make them if you like to sew.:) My mum made one for me when I was small to go with the "prairie dress" she also made me.:D

RancheroTheBee
November 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM
lol I wonder if a chimp could be trained to tackle split ends...hmmmm:D

Probably not, but if you ever get lice, a chimp could probably help you out. :D

Sweetness
March 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I find the same thing about oil leading to dust stuck in my hair... happy to see i'm not the only one !

adiapalic
March 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
My hair likes to trap a bit more dust/fibers/lint when it's oiled. I find using my BBB helps to remove a good bit of it.

Rhiannon7
March 5th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Yes! Oiling and dust are magnets! i have noticed how full of dust and lint my hair gets sometimes. i can comb through my hair in the morning and wonder where all the lint came from? I have a dog who sheds alot and sometimes i find her fur tangled with my hair. it can get so bad at times, allergens are horrible, and yes i do the sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, comb....repeat. i hate it, end up sometimes breaking hair from so much sneezing. so before i comb i take an allergy pill, wait 20 minutes then comb.....helps calm the sneezing somewhat.

Carrie Ingalls
March 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM
heh, yes I notice the dust more when I oil my hair...but I kinda thought my hair's picking up dust was about equal parts it's proximity to the floor and the fact that it was oiled.