PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready for another big hair change.

kwaniesiam
April 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I've had dreadlocks for 3 months now, and this weekend I'm going to comb them out and cut my hair. I love everything about my locks, but these past few weeks have been really hard for me, what with personal issues and such and I really need a change. Plus, my roots are growing out and the color difference is really bothering me. It's like a big matted mass of brown with random red dreads growing out of it. So, I'm going to cut them, de-tangle, and then even it out.

I guess my hair will be just above shoulder length when I'm done with it. I've already given it the two week rule, and probably will start another set of locks, this time on shorter hair once the henna has all grown out. Locking up my previously waist length hair has been quite a challenge, and I think it would go much better if I started them shorter next time. I'll be back to post pictures before, during, and after once it happens! Thanks for stopping in :flowers:

asantegold
April 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I've had dreadlocks for 3 months now, and this weekend I'm going to comb them out and cut my hair. I love everything about my locks, but these past few weeks have been really hard for me, what with personal issues and such and I really need a change. Plus, my roots are growing out and the color difference is really bothering me. It's like a big matted mass of brown with random red dreads growing out of it. So, I'm going to cut them, de-tangle, and then even it out.

I guess my hair will be just above shoulder length when I'm done with it. I've already given it the two week rule, and probably will start another set of locks, this time on shorter hair once the henna has all grown out. Locking up my previously waist length hair has been quite a challenge, and I think it would go much better if I started them shorter next time. I'll be back to post pictures before, during, and after once it happens! Thanks for stopping in :flowers:

Hi kwaniesiam,

Just so you know...you don't have to cut if you don't want to. I've heard of some women taking out there dreads by detangling with conditioner. It may take awhile but that's another option you can look into if you don't want to cut:).

I'm sure you'll find info on it if you do an internet search.

best of luck!!

embee
April 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Good luck. I can't imagine having dreads, can't imagine how they feel. I find with my hair if I have my thin little night braid under me at all it disturbs my sleep - a lump! ... I feel like the Princess and the Pea!

Certainly understand about the color change, that might get annoying. Too bad you have to lose so much length.

Kirin
April 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I was going to suggest trying to take them out, I've heard of some success with this all over the net. I think some african american specialty salons can also un-dread.

If your going to cut anyway, it wouldnt matter if some damage happened if you tried it, right?

Sillage
April 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Kwaniesiam, how are you going to take out your dreads? This inquiring mind wants to know!

spidermom
April 22nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
You know what? I've been expecting this; don't know why. Best wishes; I hope you love the change.

CurlyNinja
April 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Good luck! Sometimes a change is just what we need.

Riot Crrl
April 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
One thing I want to point out: you do not have to do all combing out in one session. You can just comb out one loc at a time, or half a loc if you want to.

About 20 years ago I tried to loc up my hair, and only made it about a week before changing my mind. I combed out all in one session, but it was like 8 hours and my skin was totally wrinkled. And my hair was not as long as yours is now.

Use loads of conditioner, and split up the sessions of combing, is what I would suggest. You may not have to cut as much as you now think.

lora410
April 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
you make all of us who want waist length hair very say :(

kwaniesiam
April 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I was thinking about just combing out what I have, but I really need the cut as well. Ultimately I want my natural color back before I start over with a second set on shorter hair. I plan to just soak them in conditioner and detangle them one by one with a fine tooth comb.

truepeacenik
April 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
three month dreads are rarely well-locked.
some patience, a comb and a bottle of oil will be your friend.

kwaniesiam
April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Well today's the day. My sis is coming over in a few hours and I'm going to be soaking my hair in conditioner and letting it sit for a while before we attack it with a comb. I'll be back with pictures tomorrow once it's all finished!

Kittee
April 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Good luck! I couldn't imagine intentionally knotting my hair for dreads! LOL So imagine getting them out would be quite the pain. If you want your natural color and to rid yourself of the red, why not make life easier and just cut off the dreads? I mean you would lose the length but you would gain less frustration and more time by just doing that.

Village Mama
April 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I have combed out dreads before... they were shorter than yours though. I saved some length, but had to cut a lot off because of the breakage from combing them out. I patiently used a lot of conditioner. I was so tird of the long process that I got pretty impatient near the end of the day. It is good you have someone to help you! No matter what length you end up with it will feel sooooo good to run a brush along your scalp and to give it a nice scrub while shampoooing!!!! ahhhhhhhh!

Peggy E.
April 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've always wondered what happened to the locks once you've decided enough is enough. Usually figured you'd have to just about shave your head to get rid of them, which would be enough to keep me from ever considering such a drastic move!

Hope you are happy with the new you and that the revised plan takes shape quickly, and beautifully, for you.

prosperina
April 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
If you want to go back to your natural color, without a whole lot of fuss and you don't mind growing again cutting is the way to go. Post pics, it will be fun to see!

lora410
April 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Good luck! I couldn't imagine intentionally knotting my hair for dreads! LOL So imagine getting them out would be quite the pain. If you want your natural color and to rid yourself of the red, why not make life easier and just cut off the dreads? I mean you would lose the length but you would gain less frustration and more time by just doing that.

I was thinking the exact same thing

Aisha25
April 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Whats a dreads?

kwaniesiam
April 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Aisha, I've had my hair in dreadlocks for the past three months and now I'm removing them :)

I have the front portion done, and the back is soaked in conditioner while I wait for my mum and sis to get home. It feels very strange, and my hair is a lot longer and in better condition than I had thought it would be. I only have about 3" of roots, I definitely don't want it that short. After its all combed out, tomorrow I'm going to go get it cut something like this just with less layering (Katherine Moennig as Shane from The L Word)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/shane.jpg

FroandBeyond
April 26th, 2008, 04:35 PM
O wow, please posts pictures when you are done.

kwaniesiam
April 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Will do!

I'm just over halfway done, been taking breaks in between since my scalp is sore and upset with me for all of this. The hairball is giant, I'm saving it and will get a pic of it once it's all together. I think I need to name this thing, it's seriously that huge.

Fee
April 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Good luck! :flowers:

kwaniesiam
April 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm almost done, but am giving up for tonight. I'll finish it tomorrow then go get it cut. My scalp hurts...really bad. Almost done though! My hair is just past my shoulders now that I cut them all in half and untangled most, so there's more to work with than I thought there'd be. Back tomorrow with pics of the finished product :)

amaiaisabella
April 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Good luck! I imagine that's super painful :(

coppercurls
April 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm almost done, but am giving up for tonight. I'll finish it tomorrow then go get it cut. My scalp hurts...really bad. Almost done though! My hair is just past my shoulders now that I cut them all in half and untangled most, so there's more to work with than I thought there'd be. Back tomorrow with pics of the finished product :)

Take some advil or tylenol-it will help.;)

manderly
April 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Has anyone mentioned the 2-week rule yet?

I remember when you posted about wanting to do dreads. I didn't think you'd last too long if you did it for some reason.

Now you're removing them and you're hacking off your hair into a very short messy shag haircut?

I know you're going through some issues per your first post, but take a few weeks and think about what you're doing. I'm concerned we'll be seeing you bemoaning your choice to cut your pretty long hair.....

Best wishes.

prosperina
April 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
She mentioned the two week consideration in her first post. :) Also, if she wants to go natural, cutting off the henna might be the easiest way to go.

sapphire-o
April 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Wow! I didn't even know dreads can be done on straight hair. I thought it's a curly hair thing. Was it a lot of work to get them locked together?

manderly
April 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM
She mentioned the two week consideration in her first post. :) Also, if she wants to go natural, cutting off the henna might be the easiest way to go.

Ah! I must have missed that.

:)

tiny_teesha
April 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
awww but i remember you saying how you were never happier with your hair then with dreds?

Goodluck with what you do either way. Hair grows, so if you make a mistake all you need is time ( or extensions ;) )

kwaniesiam
April 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks everyone :flowers:

The dreading process wasn't that bad, just a lot of backcombing. I was very happy with the dreads, but I just need a change plus my parents have given me an awful lot of pressure to get rid of them since the beginning. Someday I'll start another set, just on shorter hair since I think it was too long to lock up that well. I do want the henna gone, and I've had short hair in the past. I hated the spikey pixie, but once it grew out into a messier longish stage I didn't mind it at all. I've given in to the two week rule, and this is my final decision. Tina teesha's right after all, its just hair and it will grow.

There's one big clump in the back left to untangle then I'm off to get it cut and styled and I'll be back with lots of pictures :D

Dark Rosaleen
April 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I hope you end up loving your new cut, and yes, please post pictures. You're young and hair grows so have fun with it.

amaiaisabella
April 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I hope your hair comes out okay! Your head should be throbbing a while!

kwaniesiam
April 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Pictures! I'll get a few more in the sunlight soon, too.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/shorthair1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/shorthair2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/shorthair3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/shorthair4.jpg

wintersun99
April 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM

kwaniesiam
April 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thank you :flowers: I do like it, a lot more than I thought I would actually. *runs off to change siggie* Now the fun of growing it out again, I'm excited. When I first joined LHC my hair was already almost BSL and totally fried from chemical dyes. This way I'll be able to treat it right from the start since all the old chemical damage has been long gone, now I just have henna and virgin roots. It feels a lot thicker than it ever used to too, which is a big deal for me being an i and all :D Still looks thin near the top, but I'm hoping that will fill in soon too.

spidermom
April 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Nice change. I especially like the view from the back.

Wanderer09
April 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Very nice! Your natural colour (or what I can see of it) is pretty. :)

Rain
April 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The new cut is awesome. Really flattering to your face. Excellent choice.

kwaniesiam
April 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thank you everyone :flower:

I got a stylist who really knew what they were doing, and showed me before she cut and made sure everything was the right length and that the layers didn't make my hair look too thin but rather make it look thicker. I explained to her the history of my hair and she worked with it rather than just chopping it up like I've seen some do.

Catladyintown
April 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Crisco will get out dreadlocks. If in the future you get dreads again. It is very easy taking them out, and not that painful if you use a lot of Crisco shortening and it is a lot cheaper than Olive Oil. The night before you start coming out dreads put about two or three cups of Crisco on your hair and sleep with it. Your combing out of dreads will go a lot easier. Kwaniesiam your hair looks nice and health.

prosperina
April 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
What a nice cut! And it looks like it's not so layered that it will be a pain when it grows out, but it's just layered enough to give you a bit of volume. (Although I hope you don't mind me saying, but I was a fan of the dreads, so I sort of like those better, but this is nice too.)

kwaniesiam
April 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Crisco? I never thought of that. hmm...someday if I ever end up combing dreads out again I'll have to remember that, thank you!

I liked the dreads too, but after combing them out I'm kind of glad I did. In the back they had all started growing into one giant mass at the roots and was very difficult to undo. I didn't want to end up with a beaver tail over time :bigeyes:

Still, I learned a lot from having them and definitely will again someday. I have many years to grow and change my hair, thankfully :)

meliora
April 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Kwaniesiam, your new haircut is very nice (although I liked the locks too)! I am glad you are happy with it, and I understand your situation of wanting to grow out your natural haircolor, since I am in the same boat. But congratulations on your change! Enjoy your new hair :blossom:

sandrak
April 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Your hair does look very nice. It is very shiny and healthy looking. I love it!

lora410
April 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I so miss your long hair :(, but I am glad you did what you thought was best for you. I hope you enjoy growing your hair out again :flower:

Fee
April 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
cute cut, I had something similar when cutting off perm :D enjoy :flowers:

Lixie
April 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Awesome cut, it really suits you. Glad you're happy with it too. :D

Garnett
April 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
it looks great, dear! Me likey very much :)

Ella
April 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Good luck on your restart. Your cut is great on you

Keiera
April 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
The new style looks great!

Now onto the off topic reason why I replied: I never knew I had a doppleganger. You look like my long lost twin sister (in reality, I do actually have an identical twin sister, go figure), except subtract the nose ring and add a pair of glasses. You have totally freaked me out for the day. :D

kwaniesiam
April 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Keiera, I wear glasses too! They're black plastic framed ones. Just not normally since I prefer my contacts ;) Got any pics? I'm really curious now, I've never known anyone that looks like me!

Thank you for the kind words everyone :flowers: Tonight is the first time I'll be washing it since getting it cut. I'd like to have tried to stretch it out, but the stylist put some mousse and weird gunk in my hair and my scalp was unhappy so I misted it with some tea tree oil, lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus EOs. So far I like it. School was...interesting. I didn't really tell anyone I was cutting my hair, so a bunch of people didn't recognize me at first :silly:

The weather sucks right now, its gray and rainy and supposed to be this way all week plus I have rehearsal for a performance this weekend every day. Gah...I'll be taking a lot of pics to update my photo albums and put together a little timeline this weekend.

coppercurls
April 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It looks great & I am glad you are happy with it!;)

kwaniesiam
April 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Ha, who needs mousse...I just washed my hair with diluted burt's bees raspberry and brasil nut shampoo and then followed up with the same conditioner and my hair is SO much softer, lighter, and fluffier than it was with all that sticky, tacky gross product. Hurrah for coconut oil and nice, natural cone free products. I know what my hair likes best :)

feralnature
April 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Your haircut is great, sorry the dreads didn't work out...I had mine for only a year and cut and combed them out because of the heat down here. That was 12 months ago. Now my hair looks something like yours, just not as fresh and pretty!

kwaniesiam
April 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
feralnature, I'm so glad that you warned me about the wax. My hair would probably be in much worse condition and a lot shorter had I went the waxing route.

Sillage
April 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Kwaniesiam, that's amazing! I can't get over how shiny and happy your hair looks and how much length you were able to keep. You did a fantastic removing the dreads and I think you look even better with do you're rocking now. :)