PDA

View Full Version : triamcinolone topical cream

karenpetal
November 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hello Folks,

As some of you know I am going through a najor shedding and it has been continuing for 2 months now. I recently went to a doctor for this. I was recommended to do some routine blood tests and all looks good. The doctor has recommended to use triamcinolone topical cream - this is a anti-fungal cream -

I read online about it and have found some info but wanted to know about any first hand experience from folks here.

Any advice or input is really welcome!!

Hugs
K

Flynn
November 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Triamcinolone is a corticosteroid, so it's a steroid anti-inflammatory, not an antifungal.

ETA: Are you sure you have the right name? if you are sure, and you have had an antifungal recommended, it is probably triamcinolone plus something else. A lot of over-the-counter antifungals have a corticosteroid mixed in for reducing irritation and itching caused by fungal infections.

karenpetal
November 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Flynn - is this safe to use - have you ever used such a cream ??

Flynn
November 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have to use hydrocortisone and methylprenisolone creams from time for contact allergies. These belong to the same family as the triamcinolone you've been recommended. For short-term use, yes, they are fine. The only very, very important thing you have to take care of is not to get them in your eyes. Wash your hands well after applying any steroid cream.

ETA: As for using an antifungal on your scalp... run a search for "monistat" on this forum. That's an antifungal usually used to treat vaginal thrush. It's active ingredient is tioconazole. A fair number of people on this forum have slathered it on their scalps to get rid of any fungal nasties there might be lurking there, in the hope that doing so will make their hair grow faster! XD

halo_tightens
November 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I was recently prescribed a cream which contained both nystatin and triamcinolone. I read that the addition of the steroid had been shown to increase the effectiveness of the antifungal medication, in this case, nystatin.

I don't know anything about using the corticosteroid on its own for a fungal prolem, though... that seems odd to me. I agree that mayabe you could check out some of the stuff here about Monistat. It's a good antifungal AND has its growth benefits as well. :D

marikamt
November 8th, 2009, 10:09 AM
We use it quite it bit at work (step down clinic/ long term care facility). There are different strengths/ percentages. It is quite safe, it is an ointment, so make sure you rub it into your skin well.

ETA: I looked in my nursing reference book... maybe what you were prescribed was Mycolog II, which is Nystatin/ triamcinolone?? It is a corticosteriod/ antifungal and IS used for yeast infections (candidiasis).....

ETA 2: Also, do NOT mix the Monistat with the ointment you have been given.... Monistat is a different class of antifungal and could cause problems if mixed... talk to your Doctor first.....

karenpetal
November 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you halo_tightens - I was thinking of Monistat - I will get back to the doctor and ask if it could be an alternative.

Thanks again

I was recently prescribed a cream which contained both nystatin and triamcinolone. I read that the addition of the steroid had been shown to increase the effectiveness of the antifungal medication, in this case, nystatin.

I don't know anything about using the corticosteroid on its own for a fungal prolem, though... that seems odd to me. I agree that mayabe you could check out some of the stuff here about Monistat. It's a good antifungal AND has its growth benefits as well. :D

karenpetal
November 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hey marikamt - thanks for the response - I had one question is it safe to use for 2 weeks - doctor has recommneded to use every night and wash in the morning -

Thanks - hugs

We use it quite it bit at work (step down clinic/ long term care facility). There are different strengths/ percentages. It is quite safe, it is an ointment, so make sure you rub it into your skin well.

ETA: I looked in my nursing reference book... maybe what you were prescribed was Mycolog II, which is Nystatin/ triamcinolone?? It is a corticosteriod/ antifungal and IS used for yeast infections (candidiasis).....

ETA 2: Also, do NOT mix the Monistat with the ointment you have been given.... Monistat is a different class of antifungal and could cause problems if mixed... talk to your Doctor first.....