PDA

View Full Version : fast growers=more shedding?

jojo
November 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Just a quick question, my hair grows painfully slow yet I dont shed a great deal, hardly any. Even in September which is my main shedding month the max I shed is probably approx 50 hair opposed to say 20.

So this got me thinking is there a connection with fast growers and more shed?

Is your hair fast growing?

Do you shed more than the average 100 hairs a day?

Is your hair slow growing?

Do you hardly shed anything?

Please also state your hair type.

TIA

Darian Moone
November 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm a fast grower and yes, I do shed quite a bit at times. Often more than 100 hairs a day. It has never made a difference in thickness though, so I have learned to stop worrying about it. I'm mystified as to how to type my hair right now. It's getting thicker and more coarse as I rapidly turn white.

viking_quest
November 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm a fast grower and I shed about 150 hairs a day but I used to shed around 15. It started to make a difference in my thickness but then I changed shampoos and shed a lot less.

Addy
November 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm a fast grower! :D

I have a normal shed of up to 50 hairs a day give or take a few, nothing major.

My hair type is 2a/M/ii.

Fractalsofhair
November 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
My hair grows pretty fast, but it doesn't shed much at all. If I back comb it and such, maybe 50-75 hairs, but regularly, less than 50. It's probably why I have crazy thick hair.(Ok, only about 4.5 inches as of my mini bun with a couple strands missing. So I'm sure there are people with thicker hair here. I'm a borderline wavy, depending on the weather, so that adds a bit of volume!)

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm a fine hair and I think I grow fairly quickly. I have never noticed whether I shed more or less, tho.

I do shed, but I think the most I shed is when I wash and do heavy oilings.

shadowclaw
November 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'd say I'm a faster grower. I've been growing at about 3/4 to 1 inch per month. I don't shed too much. I'd say between 50-80 hairs per day. I do have hair on the thinner side of normal, so if I shed a lot, I would end up with very thin hair! My type is 1a/F/ii.

SurprisingWoman
November 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I think I grow pretty quickly. I have thick hair.

I think I shed quite a bit (if I took a pic of the three clumps I shed today I think you would be surprised.

I was actually thinking about this in the shower (since I washed today and lost another clump of hairs) but I think it only makes sense.

Long hair, fast growing, thick = more shed hairs.

I have never had the patience to count my hairs and I couldn't even guesstimate the loss. I am lazy, that's why I have long hair! ;)

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I barely shed most of the time. The max number of hairs I shed at one time is when I use shampoo (twice a week?) is about 20. During a normal day, it's as little as five. And I have such slow-growing hair, it's actually quite pathetic.

My hairtype is 2c/M/ii or thereabouts.

Arctic
November 8th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I'm slow grower and usually shed very little. My hair is about 2a/2b-M-ii.

eadwine
November 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
There is no connection between growth speed and amount of shed. Both factors are purely genetical and you can have them both combined in different ways.

EvaSimone
November 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I went through a period where my hair was growing really fast and I was shedding a ton. I think I was growing around 3/4" a month and my hair was shedding rapidly.

Now I have a more normal growth rate and I don't shed very much.

I was really anemic during my fast growth period and once I got that under control the shedding and fast growth slowed. So I don't know if the anemia was more the cause of shedding than my fast growth. :shrug:

jojo
November 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
yes thats interesting, my bloods have come back as me being anaemic, so much so I have to have an iron infusion next week. I am wondering if maybe after this my hair will grow quicker, though still hardly any shed.

MissMay
November 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
My hair seems to grow around 1 inch per month (I'm calling that fast because I heard average was 1/2 inch) and it feels like I shed a lot, but I've never counted, lol. However, there's a private joke between me and my friends that if you have a hair on you, it's probably mine (it likes to stick to other people's clothes, haha).

=D

I have fine hair on the thin side of average thickness.

mira-chan
November 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Grows average half inch so not fast growing or super slow growing.

I don't shed much even during the autumn shed I don't think I get to 100 hairs a day. On the low shed periods, it's under 20 hairs a day.

Hairtype: Borderline thick, wavy, coarse.
I'm not anemic.

rags
November 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I have average growth, about half an inch a month or less. And I shed at least 60-80 hairs a day, and often more. My hair is baby fine, and i. But it's not breakage - there are root bulbs - it's shedding.

I'm not anemic, but I am hypothroid and on a boatload of medications for other illnesses, which contribute greatly to shedding.

spidermom
November 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
My hair grows a little faster than average and I don't notice much shedding. I find shed hairs all over the house when I clean, though. I've learned to bun my hair and search for sheds clinging to me before I go into the kitchen. So there you have it, a lot of rambling to tell you that I have no idea whether I shed a little or a lot because I just plain don't pay any attention to it.

jojo
November 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I dont really take no notice unless it was coming out in handfuls that is.

JamieLeigh
November 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I feel like I might be a fast grower - I get almost an inch a month if I leave it to its own business (which I don't, lol). I don't really know that I shed that much more than maybe 50-70 hairs a day. And that's mostly on wash days that the number is even that high. My hair type is under my avatar, and so's my length. So I dunno what to tell you!

AnneAdeline
November 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My hair grows faster than average, I think (went from APL to waist in just over a year). I also shed A TON. I find my hair everywhere, even though it is up 90% of the time. I'm on the thicker side of average (3.5"), and I wish I could slow the shedding because it would mean much thicker hair.

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
My shed rate varies, but when I go through a major shed, it freaks me out. However, my hair grows incredibally fast, so I never really notice a change. I am noticing new growth under my hair, at my neckline. It was stalled for eons, and now I've just noticed it's grown quite a lot. I have wavy hair, so it may have been more curled and now it's at a certain length, it's straighter. I don't really know my hair type as I don't believe you can 'type' hair. :)

Gothic Lolita
November 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm growing a bit faster than the majority, but I also shed more. REcently I've found out that this could be due to my shampoo, but even if, my thickness hasn'T changed although I shed like hell in the last few month and have ongoing scalp issues.

janeytilllie
November 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'd say i'm a fast grower 1/2 inch - 1 inch growth a month. I shed roughly 50-60 hairs a day but on wash days my hair shed is well over 100.

My hair type is 2C/M/ii

ChrissieM
November 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM
well, I'm an average grower (.5ish inch a month) and an average shedder (probably 30-50 hairs a day). My hair is fine and average thickness (3 inch pony). At least I'm not skewing the results any with my averageness