PDA

View Full Version : Does twisting cause damage?

Marions
November 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
A few weeks ago I started to wear my hair up. Updos that require twisting seem to hold much better, but I'm worried it might damage my hair. Is it all right to twist my hair every day?

eadwine
November 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
As long as you don't twist it too tightly. It is better if you don't wear the same updo every single day though :)

Kaileida
November 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
If I don't twist mine, it doesn't stay, period. I haven't noticed any more damage than I already have, so if you start to, then stop twisting. If not, go for it!

pinchbeck
November 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
As long as you don't twist it too tightly. It is better if you don't wear the same updo every single day though :)
You couldn't have said this better and I cannot add anything because you said it first!:p

Gingevere
November 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I seem to experience breakage if I don't twist carefully. I can't just twirl it around my fingers like most people do... I take both hands and twist slowly, using one hand to hold the twist as I coil it into a cinnabun (or whatever).

rags
November 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
If I don't twist mine quite tightly, it doesn't hold in a cinnabun. But now I have massive breakage from wearing a cinnabun 5 days out of 7. So I'm trying to do mostly non-twisted styles now.

To be fair, my hair is baby fine and very fragile. Someone with a different hair type could get away with this (but then, they wouldn't need to twist it so tight! :p)

spidermom
November 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm not positive, but I think the friction of twisting causes damaged and split ends in my hair. So I try to avoid it. I've learned a couple of nontwisted buns, plus I braid and then bun the braid.

Olivia23
November 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I wear buns all the time and I do twist them or they would not stay because of my layers. I do try to switch which way I twist every other day or so.

Catladyintown
November 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Can some one show me wear I can learn to do non twist buns. Thanks

DMARTINEZ
November 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think its called the Lazy wrap bun? The person who I learned it from...her name escapes me.
She has a youtube tutorial...Im sure someone knows who it is or how to make it.
As for twisting,I twist all the time,but then I have coarse hair and it never breaks or
splits. I dont twist uber tight tho.. :)

Deb

SurprisingWoman
November 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/JJJLongHair4u2c#p/u/30/ElSCHnzYtM8

I also love to watch Torrin Paige

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

BranwenWolf
November 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I notice less damage when I twist*, but I split it into two pieces and twist those like a candycane. My hair won't stay up otherwise and I have a V-hemline so I have to twist to keep everything in place.

*the first time I typed that, it was "I notice less twist when I damage." Go me.

ilovelonghair
November 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I have to twist tight in order to keep my bun, unless I make some sort of figure 8 bun. I try to not twist the ends, I just tuck them in. My ends are fragile.

eadwine
November 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I think its called the Lazy wrap bun? The person who I learned it from...her name escapes me.
Maybe Remke?

Catladyintown
November 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thank you SurprisingWoman.:D I checked out torrinpaige but I can not find one wear you don't twist or braid. I like JJJ pretzel bun. Is their a bun that you can just use one hair stick or two with out twisting the hair? I believe twisting my hair up in a pineapple for the day is causing splits. I usually twist my hair up in pineapple for bead or twist for an all day bun. But I want to have a bun that does not twist at all that I can use hair sticks with.Thanks

windinherhair
November 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with everyone on not twisting too tightly. That would cause breakage. I think it is a good idea in general to rotate hair styles. I havent noticed breakage from wearing my hair one way, besides when I used to wear it in a pony tail a lot, but I also wasnt using the correct hair bands. I think if I wore any one hair style all the time that my hair could break in that area.

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I thin if twisting was damaging, people here wouldn't be doing it. :wink:

ETA: Spidermom's bun that stay is the best non-twisting bun ever! :D

Misha
November 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I found this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22623 to be really helpful. :flower:

Catladyintown
November 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Misha thank you so much.:D:D I have been here so long and I never saw that forum. Now I am going do start bun practicing.:cheese:

Misha
November 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
You are most welcome! :D Same here about the practicing. I love the video examples which make it so much easier. :hollie:

spidermom
November 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have an article in the Articles section here on how to do "the bun that stays", which is a double-loop nautilus type of bun. Try that - no twisting. (thanks for the mention, Heidi 234)

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/JJJLongHair4u2c#p/u/30/ElSCHnzYtM8

I also love to watch Torrin Paige

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

Torrin Paige is the most adorable thing ever, she is my hero. OK, sorry for the hijack, I seem to be doing that a lot today.

Catladyintown
November 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Spidermom:D I will go and find it in the article section.

sincerebydesign
November 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I twist the front section of my hair to keep it up out of the way, but I'm trying not to twist too tightly or wear it the same way day in and out. It's hard though, because my bangs are at an awkward length. I haven't noticed an new breakage or damage, though!

prittykitty
November 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Anything that is putting stress on the hair can damage it. This includes twisting it everyday, especially if it is wet when you twist it.