PDA

View Full Version : stylist dilemma

glitterati
April 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
A few months ago, I had my haircut by a stylist who completely butchered my then bsl length hair. I brought in pictures and specifically told her not to take off the length and that I only wanted my layers updated. Instead, she cut my hair to shoulder length and cut really deep, supershort, bang-length layers that would hardly curl (I have 3a hair, so the shorter it's cut, the less curly it becomes). Anyhow, I vowed *never* to go back to her again. BUT, the thing is, her cutting technique left me with the most spirally curls I have ever had!

So now my hair is back to bsl length but I'm due to have my layers fixed, and I'm actually considering going back to "the butcher" :rolleyes:. I suppose I could go back to my old stylist - she's always listened to what I wanted, but her cuts left my hair sorta wavy/wurly. I'd have to work *a lot* to get the spirals I have now.

If I go back to this stylist, do you have any tips on how to prevent a terrible cut? I think instead of just showing her a picture, I'll have to be much more careful in explaining that I want for ex, the shortest layer to end here, and that I want no more than an inch taken off the length, etc. I just feel that if I get a bad cut again, I'll have no one to blame but myself this time!

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
You could try her again and really explain what you want. Me, I don't give a stylist a second chance, once they burn me, that's it, I never go back.

Blueglass
April 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
:cool:Personally I wouldn't either, unless your secret wish is to have it happen again. I thick the best solution would be to talk to the the stylist you trust about how to cut layers to accentuate your curls without loosing so much of your length.

Sillage
April 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'd find a new stylist, one who will leave the length but give you curls. :D

Kirin
April 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
if she didnt listen the first time, chances are, your going to wind up with the same problem

Madam Librarian
April 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Could it be that you thought the cut was bad in the heat of the moment because you lost more length than you wanted, but really there wasn't anything wrong with the cut other than that? I know that sounds incredibly stupid, but you do say that you like the way your hair curls now. Could it be that the picture you brought in was unrealistic for your hairtype? Maybe when you were explaining what you wanted, you also said something about wanting more curl, something easier to style, etc., and that is the part of the instructions she 'heard' and acted on? Is your hair superthick? Maybe she thought you were having trouble with the thickness and cut the deep layers in an effort to thin the hair? I'm throwing things out there, but I hope you see what I'm talking about. Miscommunications happen so easily.

As a wurly head, I would happily give up a few inches of my length in order to get a cut that is easy to style and allows the wurls to form better. I know I'm not the norm around here. Hair will grow back. It's not the end of my world if it takes me an extra six months or six years to get long hair. I've had longer hair that I was unhappy with and I've had shorter hair that I was thrilled with. I much prefer the shorter hair that I'm happy with. For me, if I am not happy with my hair, it's not worth having.

If you are happy with the way your hair is behaving now, and you believe it is a result of this stylists cutting technique, if I were in your shoes I'd go back. Maybe this time explain that you are happy with the general shape of the cut (if you are) and the way your hair is curling, but you need just a small trim to refresh the layers and get rid of split ends. I would also karate chop at the places where I want the cut to go. I do this with my bangs along with verbal instructions such as, "I'd like them to fall above my eyebrows." Show her and tell her.

It wouldn't hurt to tell her that you are actively growing your hair either. When I was keeping my hair shorter, stylists would sometimes cut it a tad shorter than I asked for with the idea that it would stretch the time between cuts. When you are coming in every 6-8 weeks or so to keep your hair looking the same, the effort is appreciated. Your stylist might be thinking like this.

I hope that whatever you decide you come away with hair that you are happy with.

Anje
April 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hmmm. I wouldn't go back to her. Either go to the old stylist, or roll the dice and try someone new.

I don't suppose it's possible that the reason your hair ended up so spirally was because she chopped it so short, was it? I know a lot of curlies end up looking wavy when they get longer hair because the weight pulls out the curls.

mommy2one05
April 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
there is no way I would take a chance of my hair getting messed up
I would be finding somewhere elso to go to
maybe get recommendations from friends with long hair as to where they go