PDA

View Full Version : Winter + indoor heat . . .

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
. . . always seems to = hair static (for me anyway).

ACCCK. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/crackhead.gif

How do those that wear hair down alot deal with this?

Flynn
November 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I think that heated indoor air tends to also be very dry, compounding the static. Does a leave-in conditioner or a dab of oil help at all?

Smitts
November 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I heard a trick with static and I still use it because it works.

It's a science thing. i can't explain it now because it was awhile ago when I learned why it did what it did.

Basically, water takes away static electricity.

get some water and put it in your hair.

Not much of course, just a tiny bit here and there on static spots enough to not make it damp damp. just speckles of waters here and there.

I also try not to wear hoodies or other types of static causing shirts.

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I think that heated indoor air tends to also be very dry, compounding the static. Does a leave-in conditioner or a dab of oil help at all?

Apparently not because I use both. I also use a woodstove, so yes, the heat is very dry even with a teapot of water on top of it.

I remember spraying Static Guard on my head once at a winter wedding it was so bad... I wonder how bad that is for your hair. ??

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I heard a trick with static and I still use it because it works.

It's a science thing. i can't explain it now because it was awhile ago when I learned why it did what it did.

Not much of course, just a tiny bit here and there on static spots enough to not make it damp damp. just speckles of waters here and there.

I also try not to wear hoodies or other types of static causing shirts.
That's a good idea. I may fill a mister bottle of my filtered water and giv eit a shot.

thanks.

BlndeInDisguise
November 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
We heat with wood as well, though a teapot of water is usually fairly sufficient.

What do you use to comb/brush your hair? Horn combs don't cause static at all, and that's all I use.

Olivia23
November 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM
We use wood heat also and we try to always keep a pot of water on the woodstove (we have an insert) and thathelps some.

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM
We heat with wood as well, though a teapot of water is usually fairly sufficient.

What do you use to comb/brush your hair? Horn combs don't cause static at all, and that's all I use.
I am using a horn comb, yes.

We use wood heat also and we try to always keep a pot of water on the woodstove (we have an insert) and thathelps some.
What is an insert? a woodstove in a fireplace?

PhillyGirl1978@
November 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
It doesn't really get to my hair much...but it is awful for my skin. I have to spritz with oil and water all the time. As far as the hair, I do try to dt most weekends. I use cones sometimes for tangles so before I dt I use a drop of suave shampoo in a bunch of suave conditioner, then I slather my hair with GN triple nutrition and comb it and put it up for the day.

Amara
November 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM

As soon as the water dries you'll be back where you started, in my experience. Put something in the mister bottle besides waster - a heavier conditioner or experiment with different oils.

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ok, I am liking these ideas so far.

Thank you, ladies.

:flower:

Thinthondiel
November 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Probably not helpful at all for you, but I find that I don't get static hair anymore after I went WO.

In2JC724
November 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Whenever I've had issues with static, I will get my run tangle-less brush under water, bang it against a towel a couple of times and then brush my hair with it.. generally I have to wet it a few times to get all of my hair a tiny bit damp... That usually works for me.. even after the water has dried..

If not, then I put in a leave in conditioner.. Something I'm looking forward to trying this winter is coconut oil, in a very small amount, I'm sure it will help, and it's very good for your hair.

Plus, you could use Aloe Vera Gel, it works great as a hair gel, doesn't really build up, and is also good for your hair. :) HTH

In2JC724
November 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
hahaha I can't edit... I meant to say I will run my tangle-less brush under water... Not sure how the "get" got in there :P