PDA

View Full Version : Is that your real hair?

Qamar
November 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
That was a first for me today. I did my hair in a spiraling hynobun for work today and since I used five rope braids for it (in my just barely tailbone length hair) I had a bun eats head thing going on from the back. Evidently she thought the bun was SOOOOOO big that it just HAD to be a fake bun pinned on.

The funny part? This is a nurse I work with who has seen my hair down and knows how long it is! As a matter of fact, she's seen it in dozens of different up-dos, not to mention totally loose since I take my hair down when my shift is over with. How silly is that? :poot:

Smitts
November 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I see this guy that works at a nearby Wal-mart with dreads in a crazy looking style.

I have a hard time believing that it is all his natural hair.

You never know though.

Francoise1606
November 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Very silly :) Some people never really notice other people's hair and then one day it just occurs to them how long/curly/ beautiful etc. the persons hair really is.

DARKMARTIAN
November 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I see this guy that works at a nearby Wal-mart with dreads in a crazy looking style.

I have a hard time believing that it is all his natural hair.

You never know though.

Ummmm.......you wouldnt happen to live in Oklahoma would you? Because Ive seen a guy with dreads working in a Wal-Mart here too......:D

Qamar
November 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I think there is probably a guy with dreads working at most Wal-Marts because we've got one in SoCal too and had one back in Vermont.

hmmm
November 7th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I think there is probably a guy with dreads working at most Wal-Marts because we've got one in SoCal too and had one back in Vermont.

This was just too funny! :laugh:

hela
November 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I'd been great to see a pic of the gorgeous, almost fictional bun :P

JewelsSparkles
November 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'd been great to see a pic of the gorgeous, almost fictional bun :P

Agreed! You've got me intrigued now! I'd love to see pics!

Redheaded Raven
November 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I agree I have a need to see pics as well! It sounds beautiful, but I am very visual and need a pic for a clear vision. :rolleyes:;) :drama:

Qamar
November 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Its down now but I can re do it later on and get some photos. I have to wash it later anyhow since I'm headed off to a dance class and getting mongo sweaty. :) I <3 my dance class!

gnegirl
November 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Please post a pic :)

Coriander
November 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
It sounds like it was a lovely bun. :)

little_acorn
November 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
:drama: I also need a pic for visualisation of said fictional bun :p

Shermie Girl
November 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm chiming in... I need a picture for proper visualization. Please. :drama:

Qamar
November 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm washing it after a good soak of the rest of my weary self in the hot tub. When it dries I'll do a repeat of the head eating hypnobun and snag a photo of it.

kiana
November 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
That was a first for me today. I did my hair in a spiraling hynobun for work today and since I used five rope braids for it (in my just barely tailbone length hair) I had a bun eats head thing going on from the back. Evidently she thought the bun was SOOOOOO big that it just HAD to be a fake bun pinned on.

The funny part? This is a nurse I work with who has seen my hair down and knows how long it is! As a matter of fact, she's seen it in dozens of different up-dos, not to mention totally loose since I take my hair down when my shift is over with. How silly is that? :poot:
i actually had braids in my hair for about seven years and everyone thought it was fake,now that i have taken them out every one knows that it was my real hair!!! i used to get all the time ''is that fake hair??"it used to annoy me:cheese:

Kiraela
November 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'd love to see a pic of this fictional bun, haha.

As a note, we've got not one, but TWO guy-with-dreads' in my local walmart. I guess we're overstocked?

Rivanariko
November 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I had someone ask me at a halloween party this year if that was my "real hair". I even had it curled (rag curls) so it looked a lot shorter than it normally does. In her defense, she'd only ever seen me with my hair up in a bun before, and since my hair is so fine, my buns tend to be kind of... miniscule. It still made me laugh.

Aditi
November 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Very silly :) Some people never really notice other people's hair and then one day it just occurs to them how long/curly/ beautiful etc. the persons hair really is.
I agree with you. My mom sees my hair down all the time but she notices them only when i wash them and let them air-dry at that time she tells me that my hair have grown a lot.

I am with other for the pics, i have never seen a bun which is twice the size of someone's head :D

Peter
November 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I want to see the bun too!

A girl I know asked me a few days ago if my hair was real. :D

Qamar
November 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
LOL! My bun wasn't twice the size of my head, but it did cover almost the entire back of my head so it makes my hair look longer than it actually is. Its pretty fine so it camouflages well in a more regular bun like a cinnabun or infinity bun.

Qamar
November 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1620&pictureid=54793

Here it is in all its greying glory. Ans the answer is yes, it IS my real hair. *lol*
Looking at this though I really need to henna soon!

rosieposie
November 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Wow! Just WOW! Qamar, that bun is beautiful. You are very creative :)

eshta
November 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Beautiful BIG bun! It looks very impressive and intricate (and time consuming :D) No wonder she thought it was fake, nice compliment too get!

hela
November 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Woah, Qamar, is all that hair yours?? (kidding :eyebrows: )

Awesome bun,really intricate looking, no wonder you got that comment.

Eryka
November 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
*updo skill envy*

Qamar
November 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Really its not that hard to do. It only takes about 10-15 minutes tops and thats if I fiddle with it. If I do it with three rope braids instead of five it cuts the time to around 7-8 minutes.

Kiraela
November 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
That's a beautiful, huge bun, Qamar!

Eryka
November 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Really its not that hard to do. It only takes about 10-15 minutes tops and thats if I fiddle with it. If I do it with three rope braids instead of five it cuts the time to around 7-8 minutes.

Yuh huh, so says you. At the San Diego meetup, I shall hold you to your statement.

Horsetuna
November 8th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Why wont the picture display for me? :(

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Horsetuna--it may not be showing because you just joined up. You need to have a minimum length of membership and number of posts to see photos. I think you are ok on posts because as I recall its 25, but you may not have been here 30 days yet since you joined in October. The same photo is in my profile pics so you can try looking there as well.

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yuh huh, so says you. At the San Diego meetup, I shall hold you to your statement.

Glad to oblige. I'll bring my hairpins and Mason Pearson then. *grin* It really is quick and easy to do, otherwise I wouldn't be using it as a work style.

JamieLeigh
November 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've gotten the "is that your real hair?" comment before, when I've worn my braided bun clip style. (pretty much my everyday thing before I joined LHC) I guess because the braid has to wrap around so many times, it just looks like there's more hair than can be natural. I love buns that eat your head. :D

Qamar
November 15th, 2009, 07:09 PM
OK, it happened AGAIN. This time my hair was down because I had taken it down to cool off after dance class. It was completely loose and dampish from sweating through class and a guy came up to me and asked if my hair was real or extensions. When I told him it is my real hair he actually grabbed a lock and looked at the ends and felt them to see if they were real hair!!!! Dude...you just fondled my hair...without even asking! The only reason he didn't get smacked was that he was exceedingly gay and I was in Hillcrest which is a largely gay community in San Diego. Still though, I wouldn't ever touch someone's hair without permission, and I can't often see a situation in which I would ask.

The question remains though...why does my hair look fake?

Finaleofseem
November 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Qamar, I think people just don't see tailbone-length hair very often, and when they do, it's generally because someone has supplemented. Little do they know!

Unrelated question: what did you use to get those beautiful purple streaks in the photo with the comb? I'm also new and can't see the bun pic, but the purple has me fascinated!

nougat
November 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Gah. Trying to make it to 25 posts so that I can see the pictures...
I lurked for a long time before joining because I never had much to say. I only made a couple of posts on the old board. But I wanna see the piiiictuuuures! :p

I get asked that question quite a bit because I have the bottom 6-10" dyed bright unnatural colors.

Qamar
November 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
My purple is Pravana Chromasilk Vivid dye in violet. I just slap it on over my long silver streaks at my temples and end up with pretty purple streaks. No bleaching required since Ma Nature kindly did it for me. *grin*

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Its a shame that many people don't even try to grow out their real hair. They simply get extensions when they want a longer look, so because of this anyone who has long hair will get the "Is that your real hair or is it extensions/a wig?" question because these days, its a real possibility that the person in question is indeed not showing off only their real hair only.

FrizzBall
November 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
So are grey streaks usually from hitting your head really hard? That's fascinating

Qamar
November 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
My grey streaks are from my son. :D Well, him and the aging process. He does like to contribute to my aging though!

Kiraela
November 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Qamar, I think it's because they think your hair is so pretty it has to be unnatural. :D

Qamar
November 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Awwww. Thats so sweet. The purple is definitely unnatural so I can see getting inquiries about that (and yes, I have been asked if that was real...even better, when I wear my super long PURPLE false eyelashes I get asked if they are real) but the rest of my hair is pretty run of the mill long hair.