PDA

View Full Version : Wig Care & Tips

Natalia
November 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Alright being new to the wig experiance i know i could use some tips when it comes to cleaning, styling, and using hair accessories with my new wig. I know there are quite a few people on here who own wigs and some who have pulled off some amusing pranks ;) as well. I figure we could use a place to pull together our collective knowledge and get answers to common questions.

Since there are lots of kinds of wigs it would be helpful if everyone could specify their type and fiber when asking or answering questions :).

I guess i will go first. Right now i only have one wig a short black angled bob. It came out shorter on me than in the picture which leaves me wondering how else to wear it but down since the longest hairs from the front wont meet in the back (ive developed quite a strong sympathy for people in the shorter stages of grow out). Mine is a hand tied japanese kanekalon synthetic with a monofilament top. The ventilated back makes it comfortable to wear but difficult to work with clips or pins without snagging or possibly breaking it. Do you all have any tips for that?

Also what about head bands or scarves? Do they work with wigs, would they slip off, or look unnatural? Headbads have never worked with my shape head before but with my natural hair curled up under the wig it gives me a slightly different shape that might make it work.

I guess that all then :). Feel free to add on questions of your own or bathe us in your experiance. Thanks again all!
Natalia :heartbeat

P.S. I will be wearingmine today so i might experiment with the headband thing. I'll let you know :)

mira-chan
November 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have kanekalon fiber wigs which are from 3 inches to 40 inches long. I think I have 5 of them (Pixie, grey short, black short, Silver BSL length, black fingertip length). My Swiss cheese brain might have missed one. Kanekalon is generally easy to care for and looks good for quite a while. I have actually cut the three middle ones listed there into the cut they have now for costumes.

The shorter ones are easy to care for in storage and cleaning, but then I haven't had any spectacular messes that needed detergents to get out. I have a wig head for them when they are not packed in storage (in the net with paper inside, and tied into a single or multiband ponytail depending on length.)

The 40 inch one is the only one that required special care and wearing technique. My friend pretty much messed it up by wearing it as if it were her shorter hair. :rolleyes:

Try the headband and see if it works. Sometimes it will but I fear unless it's loose it might put uncomfortable pressure on the head. I have worn those ears on the band that goes around the head without a problem. The scarf should work just fine. I've also attached extensions to three of mine. One sewn in at the top and other tied in as a ponytail, and one looped extension hair through the back to make sorter pieces. I've worn clip on ears in my wig too without issues.

The trick to avoid sagging is to get lighter clips, definitely wear a big cap and also bobby pin the edges of the wig to your hair if there is any looseness. I generally don't do this as I have a lot of hair and wigs tend to sit on the tight side for me.

Natalia
November 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Oh dear Mira-Chan! I just wrote this 5 paragraph reply to your wonderful post and when i went to post it there was a hangup and it deleted the whole thing! Im so sorry but i must be off to bed or else i'll miss my lab appointment tomorow but i will get on and re-reply as soon as i can. Have a great day and sorry about that.

mira-chan
November 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oh dear Mira-Chan! I just wrote this 5 paragraph reply to your wonderful post and when i went to post it there was a hangup and it deleted the whole thing! Im so sorry but i must be off to bed or else i'll miss my lab appointment tomorow but i will get on and re-reply as soon as i can. Have a great day and sorry about that.
It's ok. Just blame the internet gremlins for sabotaging your post. It's always their fault. :silly: