PDA

View Full Version : hair and growth

Vijikanth
November 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi, I have a doubt....Does the hair grow at the base so that the tip remains the same. Or the tip grows like a plant and the base is stable. Why I ask is, the split ends. I have seen long strands of split on people. If the hair grows at the base and the tip remains the same, then the trim must be help. Hope I'm clear in my doubt.

eternallyverdan
November 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Erm, if I'm not mistaken about what you're asking, hair grows from your scalp, on your head. The ends will sometimes split because of damage, like a string unraveling. Trims help to keep hair healthy because they remove the oldest parts of your hair that have been there the longest and therefore been damaged the most.

kittensoupnrice
November 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hello eternallyverdan!

Yes, hair grows from the root. As your hair follicle produces hair, it pushes the hair out through the follicle. This is very similar to how your fingernails grow.

This is also why when you dye or bleach your hair, you will see a band of your normal color start appearing at your roots. This is the new "virgin" hair that is growing out, and all your older hair is growing out.