PDA

View Full Version : Is it damaging to my hair...

hanne jensen
November 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Is it damaging to my hair to leave it up for 2-3 days at a time?
My hair is very fragile, so I want to handle it as little as possible. I put it up in a small bun on top of my head and secure with mini clamps. I then just leave it alone for 2-3 days. I take it down when its time to wash, and do a good scalp massage. Are mini clamps damaging?

ladycatpurrs
November 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Good question! I hope not as I leave mine up for long periods of time, as well...

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
They would be damaging if you hair gets caught in the little spring parts while you sleep. If it gets caught and you leave it without gently extricating your strands each morning, I think you could have damage. If your hair is fragile, it's not going to tolerate this well. Also if it was my hair, I'd end up with a massive tangles knot of hair at my nape if I didn't deal with it daily. Have you done this and avoided your hair getting caught in the spring mechanisms?

Amara
November 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I too would recommend evaluating how much damage the clamps will cause on your hair. I haven't come up with a good way to wear them without catching my hair in the springs and working parts.

I think I would recommend that you find several different ways of putting it up, and rotate between them. That way any small amount of damage that one way causes wouldn't be happening all the time.

I agree with another poster, the shorter hairs at my nape etc would get very tangly if I didn't take it down and comb it out. If that's not a problem for you, I would think leaving it up as long/often as possible would be good.

pinchbeck
November 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think you would be adding stress to your hair and scalp. Not good. Have you tried putting in in one braid so it isn't pulling so much?

anixia
November 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe you can just take it down when you sleep, you can wrap it in a sleep cap or something, but not having the tension on your scalp at night would be better in the long run.