PDA

View Full Version : I finally got heavy oiling to work!

Fethenwen
November 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have fine hair, so heavy oiling my hair tended to make my hair oily for days, even if I tried to wash it again. So I sort of stopped doing it :p

But I stubbornly tried this again because I felt my hair needed something extra. And here's what I did:

Massaged in a generous amount of coconut oil in my scalp and length in dry hair. And then left it overnight.
In the morning I took some cheap conditioner, diluted it with water (not much water).
And poured it over my dry hair (I would say I used up a few table spoons of conditioner). Then I massaged it in thoroughly until it started to lather. After that I rinsed for quite a while. The reason I diluted the conditioner is because it was easier to distribute in dry hair.

Anyway the result: Incredible shiny and soft hair :cheese:
And absolutely not greasy nor stringy!
I will definitely do this more often.

I think the main reason for this success was that I put the conditioner in dry hair instead of wet. This way the conditioner gets to work the oil out without much water getting in the way first. I think there actually was someone on the boards who mentioned this kind of method.

I wish I had some pictures, but it was three days ago, so it might not look that awesome anymore.

Pifkin
November 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yay! :D

Putting the conditioner on dry hair rather than wet is key for me. The only thing I don't like about doing that is I use way more conditioner this way. :rolleyes: Maybe I should try diluting is a bit like you do.

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I've started a routine of heavy oilings on the nights before I wash. I've been using walnut oil and will change to macadamia nut oil when I run out of that. I'm trying to use up oils I have on hand. I CO it out in the morning. Most of the time I use White Rain conditioners and once in a while VO5. Always on dry hair. It gets my hair beautifully clean but leaves it soft and feeling moisturized. I generally do a long CO soak of at least an hour before rinsing it out.

Bunnyhare
November 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
i have never tried it on dry hair before so now i will! Thanks! Glad it finally worked for you too Fethenwen!

jojo
November 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I always put the conditioner on dry hair, as oil and water dont mix and you end up with greasy hair. glad it worked for you. I did a heavy oil myself and bunned it and went to work with it in and its completelly soaked in, doing the same tomorrow.

Redheaded Raven
November 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I am glad that you go it to work for you! :happydance: It does leave hair wonderful afterwards doesn't it?

:thumbsup:

rags
November 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ah, hah! Another finey here, I thank you for this! <scurries off to once again try deep oiling>

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
wow, that method sounds interesting. I'm going to try it! I like the idea of doing a CO soak of an hour before rinsing it out. I bet that could make all the difference. I don't do heavy oilings as frequently as I should because I don't want to have to shampoo, co, etc so much and lose so much hair from the process. I hope that will be the solution to my heavy oiling problems of tons of hair loss and greasy hair!

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I always put the conditioner on dry hair, as oil and water dont mix and you end up with greasy hair. glad it worked for you. I did a heavy oil myself and bunned it and went to work with it in and its completelly soaked in, doing the same tomorrow.Oh :doh: @ me! I never thought about oil and water not mixing! The lightbulb just came on :D

I sometimes heavily oil my length and bun for the day. Use a wooden stick or fork and see how it shines when you take it out.

anixia
November 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
This sounds good! Do you think that olive oil would work for this (its what I have around the house) or is coconut better?

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
This sounds good! Do you think that olive oil would work for this (its what I have around the house) or is coconut better?I've used olive oil with good results. If you have it on hand, give it a try or a few tries and see what happens. If you don't like it then try something else.

angelthadiva
November 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
This sounds good! Do you think that olive oil would work for this (its what I have around the house) or is coconut better?

Olive is one I started with since I had it on hand. The more "exotic" oils, coconut, jojoba, grape seed, avocado are ones most people don't have on hand...I've had a good result with mixing jojoba and coconut. As the temperatures dip down to freezing; I do more frequent oiling and have had favorable results. :D

pilateschick7
November 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I am definitely doing a heavy oiling tonight. Trying to get that greasy mess out the next day was very off putting. :)

Thanks so much for sharing.

Carolyn
November 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I am definitely doing a heavy oiling tonight. Trying to get that greasy mess out the next day was very off putting. :)

Thanks so much for sharing.I was surprised at how much the oil soaked in. I didn't have too much to get out in the morning.

JewelsSparkles
November 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Ooooh! Thanks for this! Everytime I've oiled my hair before it's been a yukky greasy mess for days & I could never figure out why (the reason seems so obvious now)! I'll definitely be trying this!

Gothic Lolita
November 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
You all just motivated me to oil my hair, put a woollen hood on, then cycle a bit and then trying the CO wash on dry hair! Thank you.... :D

intothemist1999
November 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the tip! I gave up on heavy oilings, too, but will definitely try this method!

LaurelSpring
November 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for posting! I had given up on night oilings just because of the greasies. I may go back to doing castor oiling and see how this works for that also.

Fethenwen
November 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hey nice I got some new enthusiasm for oiling with this thread :p

Redheaded Raven
November 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Yes, I love deep oiling and have used this in the past, but have slacked off. So thanks for the reminder! :D

I love the way it leaves your hair feeling. So silky. I have also been known to add honey to my mix as well. So more moisture. :D

Fethenwen
November 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, it really is amazing. I think the best benefit is that the softness from it is so long lasting. I'm on day four from the oiling and have just WO:d my hair, and it is still super soft!

jojo
November 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Oh :doh: @ me! I never thought about oil and water not mixing! The lightbulb just came on :D

I sometimes heavily oil my length and bun for the day. Use a wooden stick or fork and see how it shines when you take it out.
I just done this exact thing for the last two days! wahs out day tomorrow, my first ever time without shampooing for a whole week too!

funny day 2 of my heavy oil and it still sunk all in, a bit greasy on the roots but otherwise totlally soaked in!

arjay.d
May 6th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Would a shampoo bar get the oil out as well, or does it have to be condish (same for light before bed oil)?

dwell_in_safety
May 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Dry hair is definitely key for me, too. I also apply oil when my hair is dry. Leaves it wonderful. :3

Silverbrumby
May 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Thank god I found this thread. I was heavy oiling then sometimes ending up with a greasy mess because I CO washed out the oil in the shower... Or tried to! haha.

Then sometimes I heavy oiled and put the Cond. on dry hair and let it soak for an hour and bingo, soft hair.

I can't believe I couldn't figure out the connection until now. Oil and water.

If I'm not going anywhere special I love leaving the oil in. After months of doing this a lot I did notice less split ends.

arjay.d
May 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
okay, new question. Would an SMT clean a heavy oiling out? And would you still do that on dry hair? Thanks.

afu
May 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
okay, new question. Would an SMT clean a heavy oiling out? And would you still do that on dry hair? Thanks.

Yes i would have thought so, i do every was with a combination of condishoner and aloe vera (no honey though) and it always gets my hair clean

Amber_Maiden
May 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yep, when I use tons of oil in my hair I do dry hair conditioner masks- works for me to get the oil out!

SnowWhite
May 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Yep, it works for me too! Cheap, cone free conditioner in my dry hair after oiling, leave it in for some time, it makes the rinsing so much easier!

spidermom
May 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Yay!

For the longest time, I thought that I was getting my oilings out with diluted shampoo, then it dawned on me one day that I oil the length, then do CWC the next day - conditioner on the length after wetting my hair. So it was probably the conditioner on my length removing the oil while I diluted-shampooed my scalp rather than the suds running through my length in the rinse.