PDA

View Full Version : What type of comb do you like best?

above_rubies
November 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have some birthday money and I want to buy a comb. I thought I would do some research on different types of combs. If you would, just post a comment letting me know which types of combs you have tried and which one you like best. Hope I have included most of the different types of combs but if I haven't feel free to choose "other" and let me know what I missed. Thank you for your help. :)

Kuchen
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Vulcanized rubber combs (like Hercules) are good, but best results from the good old Body Shop wooden widetoothed comb.

Gumball
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I've tried plastic combs up until I got a horn comb. The horn comb made a fair bit of difference since I didn't get the static-induced tangling I got with the plastic one. I have yet to try a wooden comb. I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually.

My horn comb is just a little tougher to clean than the plastic one was because it's of a different material that can tolerate less raw cleaning power! Hehe. You can't dunk it in soapy water for instance. It is just a tad more fragile in that sense.

As for maintaining it I haven't had to re-oil the comb to keep it moisturized because I oil my hair once or twice a week and it gets it by combing the oiled hair.

LittleOrca
November 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
So far my favorite comb I have is a plastic one. I would like to look into horn or bone, but I am not sure where to or what is a good price or any of that jazz.

squee
November 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I like Wood and my fingers. I personally dislike plastic, the less synthetic the material the better for me.

Gabriel
November 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Ugh I meant to pick wood and picked bone. :mad:

I bought a wooden and horn comb from Heavenly Harvest. I posted about them in the reviews section.

I use them on my dry/oiled hair and like them both but I have to say I enjoy the wooden comb more. I didn't like the horn one at all at first but the more I use it the more it has grown on me and now I enjoy it.

I also have a surprisingly seamless Jilbere de Paris plastic comb I picked up at Sally's for detangling my wet/damp hair. It's a good damp/wet hair comb option.

Elfe
November 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I would say wood or plastic, because I don't like a comb made of an animal.
But maybe a plastic comb would make your hair a bit static.

Brownie
November 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I prefer the Tangle Teezer :) My wooden combs are nice, but IMHO the TT cannot be beaten :D

AJoifulNoise
November 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've tried plastic and horn. I definitely prefer the horn. I met a wooden comb once and didn't really like it.

Ryanne
November 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I like my horn one. Still, I want to try wood one day.

Lady Danger
November 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I like wood because it doesn't tear my very fine hair; it also doesn't add static when the air is dry.

masterofmidgets
November 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've never tried horn or bone, but I like my wide-tooth wooden comb. Less static than a plastic comb, and it moves through my hair a lot easier.

PrincessFurball
November 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I have a horn comb, and I really like it. I would like to try wood or bone (or both) sometime, though.

mira-chan
November 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hands actually :D but, out of actual combs I prefer wood.

pilateschick7
November 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I am absolutely in love with my TangleTeezer. My shedding has drastically reduced and it does not catch or pull. Purple glitter is available again and they are releasing a travel sized version next year.

I have a wide toothed Hair sense resin "bone" comb and it just never really seemed superior to using my fingers to detangle. It is going to the swap board soon.

I also have a boxwood comb. I love it buy only for use on dry hair. It creates no static and distributes oil perfectly. With my curls and waves using it on wet hair is no fun.

Hope that helps:)

pinchbeck
November 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I have two Hairsense resin bone combs and have been using them for a couple of years now.

Pros:
-nice big size
-tines are far apart
-gentle on hair
-does NOT break if dropped

Cons:
-tines are hand carved and are sharp on the ends/tips. This can be remedied by filing them down further.

I love horn combs and how they glide through hair, but when I dropped mine it broke in half and I never bought one again.

kittensoupnrice
November 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I've tried horn, wood-based acetate, and wood.

My favorite is horn, but if I was only going to get one, I'd get the wood-based acetate, since you can use it on wet or dry hair, and it's anti-static!
Mine is the Madora Ivory Detangler.
Otherwise, I really like my HH horn comb.

KarpatiiSiv
November 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
If I'm not using my finger then I use a horn comb. I'd like to try a wooden one but haven't got round to getting one yet.

meowmeow
November 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I prefer a plastic seamless just because I can use it in the shower, although I can't say I've tried any other kind. Shape wise I prefer something with a handle.

I would recommend Mason Pearson combs. Kind of pricey, but totally worth it.

*Aoife*
November 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I picked wood. I love my Bodyshop comb. But my dad stood on it earlier :( I really hope I can get another one tomorrow.

I have a plastic one that I use when my hair is wet, but it doesn't have good results on dry hair.

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I voted Hair sense resin "bone" comb as I love my two Hair Sense combs I got off Ebay. I also have a Body Shop wooden comb, which is nice but nothing beats the large detangling rake "viking oar" Hairsense comb!

Aer
November 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I liked my horn comb a lot, then I broke it. So I bought a Body Shop wide tooth wooden comb, and liked it just as much, then I broke it too. I voted horn comb, but I like wooden ones equally. Right now I'm using broken fragments of both to comb my hair.

curls2grow
November 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I've been switching off for years. I have a wide-tooth resin bone comb, and a rubberized one from Creative. I recently treated myself to a fine-tooth tail comb that I use maybe once per week. It has somehow helped reduce fairy knots for me. And the tail end is great for root-lifting curls and breaking up clumps of curls that are too thick.

melikai
November 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have a Heavenly Harvest bone comb, as well as a wood comb from The Body Shop. I like both, but far prefer the HH bone comb. It runs through my hair very smoothly, and make combing much easier.

above_rubies
November 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate your input. That helps alot. I'm going to look up some of the combs you have mentioned and find out prices etc. :eye:

above_rubies
November 7th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Oops! :hmm: Just figured out that the tangle teezer is actually a brush. I just saw it mentioned in another comb thread and assumed it was a comb. LOL :D Oh well, still glad I added it as I'm interested in what people think of it.

DARKMARTIAN
November 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I dont even know what a comb is....havent used one in over a decade......Just brushes. Ive just decided to "brush off" combs.......

Shiva
November 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I like my horn comb (but I think it's a resin horn comb, whatever that means).

pepperminttea
November 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I have a lovely wooden one that serves me very well. I would like to try a bone one when it eventually gives up the ghost though.

jesamyn
November 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have a Heavenly Harvest horn comb that I love. I had another horn comb before that, but it broke when I dropped it accidentally. The Heavenly Harvest one is a lot sturdier. Horn combs seem to just glide through my hair without pulling or catching. I'd still may try a wood comb at some point.

Pony Girl
November 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I find the Mason and Pearson Plastic Detangling Comb and Rake Comb to be the best I have tried. They glide through my hair with ease, no pulling or snagging at all.

windinherhair
November 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
The wooden comb is my favorite. I have found that wood has been my favorite in everything so far... even hair toys.

I haven tried many products if they are made from animals. The plastic combs would give my hair more static.

Silver
November 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm very happy with my wood comb! :)

Othala
November 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Plastic, seamless Kent comb. Slides through hair like a hot knife through butter.

florenonite
November 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I used to use bog-standard plastic ones, and they worked ok. I never really had any huge complaints with them. Then I got my TT, and now anything else feels like it's pulling or causing breakage. The TT's great not only for detangling, but also for spreading the oils down the length, too, and smoothing for updos. I've had it since April and am as enamoured with it today as I was when I purchased it. I do find I have to finger-comb a bit to get rid of any big tangling and some shed hair first, but if I finger-comb a section once through the TT will slide through beautifully.

enfys
November 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't comb my hair, it causes more knots than my Tangle Teezer has ever had to untangle!

My hair is so unique...

Vianka
November 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I like my Swissco wide tooth comb the best.

LKayL
December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I finger comb and use a plastic comb. Whatever material it is, it has to be wide-toothed so it can go through my natural texture at the roots.

kimannabella
December 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hair sense "bohn" detangler, because it glides through my hair like butter.The body shop one isn't too bad either but it's just left in my purse.

JamieLeigh
December 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
I like wood, it can be sanded when something bad happens to it, and it's easily oiled. :)

Schefflera
December 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I've got a couple of plastic ones I like, and I picked up a wooden comb to try but am not really feeling much improvement. Actually, I'm considering the possibility it's too wide-toothed.

My dream comb would be one I can detangle with but also wear as a French twist comb, etc. ;) In a material that's okay to wear in wet hair. Easy to travel with, you see. But I'm not sure if it's actually possible.

Elenna
December 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Let's see, I have a Mason and Pearson comb, a Kent comb, a swissco comb, 3 wooden Body Shop combs and a fine-toothed horn comb. My favorite is the horn comb. I would like to try a wide-toothed horn comb just to see if it is any good for my hair.

deko
December 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I really love my horn comb. I get it from the quecraft's (from etsy) and it's very smooth and nice.

amberdakota
December 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Love my horn comb. I have a wooden one too, but I don't use it when my hair is wet...

Coriander
December 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/Widu-Natural-Large-Wood-Comb/dp/B00149FSEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260078733&sr=8-1) from Widu. Holy cow, I paid 12 bucks last year. Gotta love inflation!

I really love this comb. There are no seams and it's very gentle. The teeth are rounded so it doesn't tear my scalp.

I've used plastic combs as well and they don't work for me on dry hair. I do use one in the shower for conditioning.

hippie girl
December 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM
My favorite is my resin DiPrima comb. Smooth as silk!

Sadly, it broke and is now a bit smaller than it was in it's original condition.
I now use a Creative #C5 Resin comb. It's resin, handmade too, but shorter than my favorite Di Prima. It has similar length teeth, but I prefer the DiPrima because the teeth tapered more, which I miss. The Creative has a wider tooth overall but it was the best/closest substitute I could find.

I'm always looking for the perfect comb and the DiPrima was the closest I had come.

GoatLady
November 1st, 2022, 10:02 PM
My favorite comb is my Madura.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 04:07 AM
I don't own a Madora, but well, the next best thing (Hairsense volume comb). I hung up my wide tooth comb a while ago, ever since I discovered, my wet brush hurts my scalp far less and can get through tangles way more gently.

Fiorentina
November 4th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Well, horn for me. :)

barnet_fair
November 4th, 2022, 10:56 AM
My two beautiful black yak horn wide-toothed combs, and my small collection of smaller fine-toothed horn combs.

Hellebore
November 4th, 2022, 12:06 PM
I have a double-sided wood comb from Rigr crafts and it's made combing productive and enjoyable. I had no idea how much lint would accumulate in my hair before I started using it!

Fiorentina
November 7th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Wood and horn for me :)

Glitch
November 8th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Plastic and super spaced out between the teeth.

SandyBottom
November 13th, 2022, 11:30 AM
I have a wide-toothed Hair Sense "bone" comb that I love. It's great at getting the seaweed out of my hair too. The TT brushes will get it out also, but they're much harder to remove the seaweed from:D

foreveryours
November 13th, 2022, 03:58 PM
I have a wide-toothed Hair Sense "bone" comb that I love. It's great at getting the seaweed out of my hair too. The TT brushes will get it out also, but they're much harder to remove the seaweed from:D

I do too. It's a big "rake" (but not the one with only like 5 teeth). I trimmed it to better match the contour of my own head. I've had it almost as long as my hair. It handles knots like no other.

Joyful Mystery
December 1st, 2022, 11:14 PM
I have a Hairsense comb that I really like.

SandyBottom
December 2nd, 2022, 06:52 PM
Same, mine's a wide-tooth

TatsuOni
December 3rd, 2022, 03:19 AM
I like both wood and horn. I first use a medium toothed comb made of horn. Then a fine toothed wooden comb.