PDA

View Full Version : Coumadin and hair loss

Yarn Muse
November 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Ten years ago after the birth of our youngest son, I had a large blood clot in my leg and was on coumadin for a year. I was losing a ton of hair and one friend told me she always did that after having a baby. I had never noticed that much hair loss before, but every pregnancy and childbirth experience is unique. Later I learned that hair loss is a side effect of taking coumadin! Ugh.

Now, ten years later, my hair has become somewhat thicker but not as thick as it used to be. Has anyone else had this experience with coumadin? If so, did you get your hair to get its orignal thickness back, and if so, how?

Thanks.

little_acorn
November 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hello and welcome to the LHC :flower:

I've not had this experience myself, but, hair loss with coumadin is generally a diffuse thinningall over the scalp. Once coumadin is stopped hair growth will generally return to the previous level. Its possible that the thinning in your case was both coumadin and pregnancy related - a double whammy :(.

Hopefully, with all the helpful tips on this site you can increase your thickness a little more :flower:

Ten years ago after the birth of our youngest son, I had a large blood clot in my leg and was on coumadin for a year. I was losing a ton of hair and one friend told me she always did that after having a baby. I had never noticed that much hair loss before, but every pregnancy and childbirth experience is unique. Later I learned that hair loss is a side effect of taking coumadin! Ugh.

Now, ten years later, my hair has become somewhat thicker but not as thick as it used to be. Has anyone else had this experience with coumadin? If so, did you get your hair to get its orignal thickness back, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Yarn Muse
November 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, I hope I can regain some, if not all, of my former thickness. I have been reading threads here and even started taking biotin and fish oil, which is good for your heart, too.

If anyone else has had any experience regaining hair thickness post-coumadin, please chime in! Thanks.

Coriander
November 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi, Yarn Muse, and welcome! :waving:

I don't have experience with having children, but I was on coumadin for over a year from my very own DVT in December 2006. Nasty stuff that was. It did manage to thin my hair out some while it was poisoning the rest of me. lol

A few months after I stopped taking it I noticed that hair was actively growing in again.

My hair goes through normal sheds, but the effect from that medication was noticeable.

Irishred
November 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I know after each of my kids I have a lot of PP shed. In fact i have 2 distinct visible regrowth lines in my hair (only a hair person would see).

However, I know two of many coumadin's side effects are hair loss and skin issues. My husband has a mechanical valve (2/09) and will be on this for life. So far he really hasn't had hair loss other than the area he was already thinning in over the past 5 years, just don't tell him that. He is having some scalp issues of dry scaly type like a cross between dandruff and cradle cap - similar to what all my children went through as infants/toddlers (DS2.5 still has mild issues). He has other side effects like getting cold, bruising, moodiness (however I don't put this on the coumadin as much as heart related), blah blah blah, but nothing as severe as what a clot could be for him/us.

Sorry not more help.