PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do w/this hair

Mayanquice
November 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
My hair is bra strap length & I have split ends. My goal is just above waist length.
To grow my hair do I need to trim my ends first? Is there a way to seal my ends, with a product etc?
I would love to not trim after this time & just grow but I'm concerned about split ends on my fine/thin hair....
Any help?
Thanks!

spidermom
November 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Having tried both trimming regularly and no trimming for a year (but I did do S&D), I can honestly tell you that my hair grows much better with regular small trims. After a year of no trimming, I found really deep splits - like split 4 inches up the hair shaft.

It's really up to you, though. S&D is when you get under a good light with a sharp pair of scissors and snip away the splits you see, leaving the good hairs alone.

People have been claiming that coney products seal the split ends and hide the damage, but I've never had that happen. They do make my hair much easier to comb, though, which I think helps prevent new split ends. They seal in moisture, too.

MsBubbles
November 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
How bad are the splits? Is your hair one length or do you have layers further up with splits too?

What I have to keep doing at various landmarks (first it was BSL, now it's mid-back, and I'll probably have to do this again at waist) is self-trim or self-dust my ends once a month or every 6 weeks. I have tried letting the ends go and see what happens. What did I get? A straggly mess!! It's harder for my fine/thin hair to look decent if I don't keep the ends dusted regularly.

Unless your split ends are already traveling up the hair shaft a long way, I'd suggest just trimming yourself ('Feye's Self Trim Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)').

Nightshade's damage article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) helped me sort out the order of things in my head, regarding to trim, or not to trim. I think she recommends trimming half your growth each month. This is a great article.

I don't have experience with end-sealing products and am currently trying to veer away from silicone products. I have had success with the catnip soaks for keeping my ends in better condition. There is a mammoth Catnip for Split Ends thread on the recipes, henna and herbal haircare board.

I am in the same situation as you. I think I am going to have to stay around mid-back for 6 months while I tidy up my ends.

RancheroTheBee
November 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
There's no product that will fix, or even properly seal, split ends. Once you have them, they're there until you trim them off. Several small microtrims over a period of time will help you retain length and also get rid of your splits.

RocketDog
November 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
In my experience, getting small trims every few months helps my hair stay healthier, which means it appears to grow faster since I don't lose hair to damage. Why not get a small trim and then start babying your hair to preserve the 'new' ends. Gentle handling, mild shampoo, lots of conditioner and oil for the ends and you should see growth for sure!

Anje
November 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
As others have said, you really can't glue splits back together. Once the hair has split, it has split.

Probably the first thing to do is decide how bad it is. Almost everyone with long hair (especially fine long hair) has a few splits, and it's to be expected to some degree. Lots of splits should be cut, but some people have to learn that it's OK to live with a small percentage of the hairs split.

If the splits are pretty much at one level, I'd definitely say trim it and protect it so you get fewer in the future. If your splits are all throughout the length, you're probably not going to want to cut above them all... So you get a good pair of hair scissors and start the slow, ongoing process of snipping them off individually.

longforhim
November 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I would do small micro trims until the splits were gone. That way you will still grow and your hair will be healthier when you finally reach waist.

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
In my experience, getting small trims every few months helps my hair stay healthier, which means it appears to grow faster since I don't lose hair to damage. Why not get a small trim and then start babying your hair to preserve the 'new' ends. Gentle handling, mild shampoo, lots of conditioner and oil for the ends and you should see growth for sure!

This seems like very good advice. From then on out maybe S&D the splits that you see. I suffer from multiple split ends too! They seem to reoccur not long after I've S&Ded them!

Redheaded Raven
November 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I suggest the micro trims as with fine hair splits can run up the hair even faster than on thick hair. Good luck in finding some one that really does micro trims though.

pinchbeck
November 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Having tried both trimming regularly and no trimming for a year (but I did do S&D), I can honestly tell you that my hair grows much better with regular small trims. After a year of no trimming, I found really deep splits - like split 4 inches up the hair shaft.

It's really up to you, though. S&D is when you get under a good light with a sharp pair of scissors and snip away the splits you see, leaving the good hairs alone.

People have been claiming that coney products seal the split ends and hide the damage, but I've never had that happen. They do make my hair much easier to comb, though, which I think helps prevent new split ends. They seal in moisture, too.

I love how you share your hair experiences with everyone and your experiments. It's nice to know what worked and what didn't.

Splits can travel pretty high and I have observed on myself on stand of hair with five splits on it. I had to show my boyfriend this microscopic broom I found in my head!

I know what split ends are, but what are those dots on a hair strand? When the hair is pulled gently, the hair breaks off. Is there a name for them (I am not referring to anything living, lol).?

pinkbunny
November 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I have very thin/fine hair, so I try to do small trims every 5 weeks. Then S&D. I also use products that are for split ends on a regular basis. I still get lots of split ends, but my hair grew out (I guess it's an endless battle? lol)