PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your own vs hairdresser

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Ok, so I haven't been to a hairdresser in about a year. I had a hairdresser who would cut it dry and never took off too much, but she is pricey. Considering that I wasn't really cutting just trying to grow it out, I didn't go for a while. I have been periodically trimming myself, I do S&D's and I have also trimmed a bit myself. While it did help my tangles slightly, it certainly didn't help as much or for as long as it does when I go to the hairdresser. Why is that? I may save for a good hair cut in like February...maybe about 2-3 inches. Beings I am trying to grow in my layers, I think I will wet and condition thoroughly, comb and detangle and then put it up immediately so I don't get too many more tangles and then have her cut it straight across about 2-3 inches. Her cutting it dry and Curly Girl style is great and all, but it doesn't help with the one one length that I am going for now.

Anyway...so why is it that I when I cut myself it only helps the tangles a little and maybe for like a week, where as when the hairdresser does it, it really helps with the tangles and it usually lasts way longer than that?

Pixna
November 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
When I cut/trim (which I'm not doing at all for now -- I took the pledge!), I have great success and my hair feels really good afterward. My guess is the problem is your scissors. Are you using professional shears? The best ones tend to be very pricey, but they last for years. And, are you using your shears ONLY for trimming your hair? Doing a good job of hair trimming at home requires excellent shears. What are you using?

spidermom
November 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I would guess it's probably because your stylist uses superior scissors. My hair stylist told me that good hair-cuting shears cost $400 USD and need to be sharpened regularly.

Or perhaps she cuts more than you do when you self-trim.

Heidi_234
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I second on the cutting more thing. You said yourself that you might go to the hairdresser and ask for a 2-3 inch trim, and I'm sure you don't trim 2-3 inches yourself. Hairdressers never take just 0.5" off, it's easy to accidentally trim 1" instead of 0.5" (after all, it's relatively a short length, the error margin is rather large), or even more.

My last trim I had (over a year ago), kept me split-ends-free for 3 months or so. So for me, self trimming and S&D pays off big time (not to mention all the $$ I saved!)

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Wow...I had no idea.

No I don't usually trim 2-3 inches, I don't usually ask here to either...I don't think it's just I gotta get some of the tangly dryness cut off and that will take me closer to my goal of all one length

I do have what I thought were shears, they weren't regular scissors they were for hair cutting...but I got them from Walmart so I certainly didn't spend that kind of money on them. I will certainly be saving up to got get a real hair cut though.

Thanks

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I've always considered a good stylist one who didn't "give me my money's worth". If you found one who trimmed your hair to your satisfaction, then I'd advise saving up and going back to her. I think I know which WM haircutting scissors you are talking about. I've had a pair. They worked OK for some S & D work for a short while and then they were dull. You could check out Sally's for sales on their hair scissors. Those are much higher quality than those from WM. They aren't as good as the $400 scissors but they are pretty good and they can be sharpened.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I've always considered a good stylist one who didn't "give me my money's worth". If you found one who trimmed your hair to your satisfaction, then I'd advise saving up and going back to her. I think I know which WM haircutting scissors you are talking about. I've had a pair. They worked OK for some S & D work for a short while and then they were dull. You could check out Sally's for sales on their hair scissors. Those are much higher quality than those from WM. They aren't as good as the $400 scissors but they are pretty good and they can be sharpened.

I will definitely check out Sallys' and you are probably right about the scissors, I don't even remember how long I've had them. Maybe around the time that I get my tax refund and have some extra dollars I will head to the hair dresser for a real cut. I'm sure that'll help a lot.

heatherdazy
November 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Geez, how expensive is this stylist? Unless you're in a major city like NYC, a quality cut shouldn't require your tax refund!

justme
November 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Is this the first time you've gone without regular trims? Perhaps you're just used to having hair that is trimmed more often (and more cut off) so dealing with older ends is a new experience.

Other than that, I'd say it was the scissors. Dull scissors can do more damage than not cutting at all.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Geez, how expensive is this stylist? Unless you're in a major city like NYC, a quality cut shouldn't require your tax refund!

No, it's not that it's that expensive...it's just my finances are tight, plus I have a few other things I'm saving for (I want a Kindle from Amazon!lol) I'd have to call and see how much a cut would be and wait until I have a little disposable funds, right now I have just about exactly what I need to live. I live in Philly, and this is a totally organic salon so it is a little more pricey than just a regular place...not THAT much though.lol

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Is this the first time you've gone without regular trims? Perhaps you're just used to having hair that is trimmed more often (and more cut off) so dealing with older ends is a new experience.

Other than that, I'd say it was the scissors. Dull scissors can do more damage than not cutting at all.

Yeah, I think this is the first time since being all natural (no relaxer) that I have gone more than 4-5 months without a trim, but this is also the fastest my hair has ever grown and the longest it's ever gotten, so I don't wanna trim as much as before. Maybe I'll just get 2-3 inches trimmed of every 5-6 months until I get it all one length.

jojo
November 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I did self trim for a good 3 years, then I found a long haired hairdresser and she trims just what i want. By having my hair cut by a stylist, I no longer feel the need to check my ends which always resulted in me cutting and actually getting obsessed. Now I just make an appoitment and ignore my hair until it comes round.