PDA

View Full Version : Buying Rollers Help Please

curlofsmoke
November 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'd appreciate some help on choosing which rollers to buy (obviously not hot rollers!)
I want something that will be
- easy and unfiddly to use and not take more than a few minutes to put in (once I've practiced a couple times anyway)
- undamaging
- they don't have to be soft enough to sleep in as I work from home and can put them in in the morning and take them out before going out for the evening
- effective at making curls/waves in my hard-to-keep-a-curl hair

I thought satin rollers might be better as it seems that one need to use endpapers with foam rollers and that sounds like a bother (I am klutzy)
I was unsure which size to get - I want big soft curls/waves (about like Carolyn's in her signature pic), but I think that if you get the biggest size it just create a bit of wave?
Also how many I would need? There seem to usually be 6 in a pack but would that be enough for my tailbone/hip length type iii hair?
I did hear about Caruso steam rollers and they sound very effective but $40 for something I would only use maybe once a month is rather pricy for me I think (especially if I find it too much of a hassle - when I am trying to separate my hair it does keep moving about!)
I also thought about making rag curlers but that sounded like it would be more fiddly to use.

Shermie Girl
November 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hmmm... How about two inch magnetic rollers? You could mist your hair until it is damp, add a little aloe gel or an alcohol free setting gel, roll and use those plastic jaw-claw type roller clamps (you often see then holding hot rollers) to hold them in place. You can use one of those triangle shaped nets to hold the rollers in place as you go about your day and your hair dries.

Magnetic rollers and those clamps aren't expensive. I think for the amount of hair you have, I would have at least thirty rollers and clamps on hand, to get a good set. :)

Jumbo Caruso rollers would give you curls like that, too. :eyebrows: :D