View Full Version : Taking your own products to the hair salon

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Does anyone do this? I go to a fairly upscale salon in the area for highlights and when they detangle they use kerastase products which are great but NOT for detangling evidently. I went yesterday and they almost pulled my hair out detangling it and I had detangled very well before going. It was probably the foils and highlight solution but geez with my products I would have been able to get the tangles out MUCH easier and with less breakage I'm sure! Do you think I could ask them to use my leave-in detangler anyway and detangle myself when it needs it? Is that okay in an upscale salon?

Fiferstone
November 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Question: Are you paying them with your money? If you were hyper-allergic and you knew which hair care products you could use safely, would you hesitate to ask them to use your products to avoid exposing yourself to unknown ingredients in their products, that could cause a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction? If you ask politely when you make your next appointment "I have a detangling product that I find works very well for my hair, would you mind terribly using it, instead, if I bring it with me?" They should not take offense at that at all. After all, you'll be paying for their service (and paying the suitable gratuity) with your money.

brunette
November 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Could it have simply been the person's lack of skills that made your hair difficult to detangle? Doesn't sound as though they could have made it easier on your hair with gentle handling throughout the visit.
edit:
What I mean to say is, I expect their products are fine for detangling, but their skill set isn't.
How did you find the rest of the experience?

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Could it have simply been the person's lack of skills that made your hair difficult to detangle? Doesn't sound as though they could have made it easier on your hair with gentle handling throughout the visit.
edit:
What I mean to say is, I expect their products are fine for detangling, but their skill set isn't.
How did you find the rest of the experience?

VERY good questions. The rest of the experience is fantastic. I LOVE the color (my hair colorist is OCD so it takes her a while but she does a great job). I never know who I'll get to wash it and detangle it though and that's where the problem is. They use a wide tooth comb and I tell them to start from the bottom but they pick up too wide of a section I think or something, not sure, can't see them actually since they are in the back of my hair! My hair is always by far the longest in the place though and I think they just aren't used to long hair period. I wish SO much there was a good LONG hair salon here. Maybe I need to try another place.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 06:46 AM
The furthest I have ever had to go was bringing my own wide toothed comb. It's odd cause my hairdresser sells the Curly Girl book in the store, she has curly hair and her salon is organic (no harsh chemical) but she is a bit overwhelmed my by hair. But I never bring my own products.

ladycatpurrs
November 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have been going to my salon for years and I occasionally will bring in products that I wish for my stylist to use. She has always been receptive and willing. I think she enjoys finding things to help her in her business. I would ask, there is no harm in that. And as for someone pulling your hair or not being as careful as you would like, I suggest trying what I did. I had visited a stylist that was not my regular person and informed her that I wanted her to please be very careful of my long hair. After quietly saying "ow...ouch, um, that pulls" I finally got her attention by very firmly but loudly saying "OW, YOU ARE PULLING MY HAIR". Extreme but it worked! Every head turned and she got back to business with my hair. I never went back there but it stopped my hair cruelty at the moment!

angelthadiva
November 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I've never brought my own products, but I've TOLD them what to use on my hair. And most of the time 99.9% of the time I detangled my OWN hair with my own wide tooth comb. I understand that they are supposed to be the expert, but I know my hair better than they do. I've lost count with how many hair dressers have approached my hair with a close tooth comb! :run:

I also wanted to add that I have not offended anyone by my upfront behavior. Actually, in my situation, the stylist became the student in learning how to work with long(er) hair and appreciated learning more about it.

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Can i just quickly ask, what are kerastase products?

ademtce
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Can i just quickly ask, what are kerastase products?

basicallys their "high end" L'oreal products, but they're terrible.

if i were you, i would definitely bring my own products. no sense in have them tearing up your hair and then paying them for it. so I'd bring my products next time and then ask them to use it.

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
basicallys their "high end" L'oreal products, but they're terrible.

if i were you, i would definitely bring my own products. no sense in have them tearing up your hair and then paying them for it. so I'd bring my products next time and then ask them to use it.

Actually I am not crazy about them either because they are cone-loaded at least the ones I have seen BUT a lot of people really like them. That's not the thing I hate, it's the detangling that they do. And it very may well be that they don't know how to do it right. That's what I have been trying to get across to them. I DO tell them when it hurts and they are gentler but it still hurts. And it still takes them much longer than it should or than it does when I do it.

spidermom
November 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'd call and ask. I always offer to do the comb-out. I tell my stylist I know it's a pain in the butt to detangle my wet hair. She usually lets me, or tells me "you can do that half, I'll do this half." She uses awesome products, though; no problem there.

Iylivarae
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I took my products with me and told them that I have a very sensitive skin and I would most likely react allergically to theirs, so it was no problem that they used them. The hairdresser was actually very astonished because the conditioner worked so well, she wanted to know where I bought it :D

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Okay I have decided to ask the colorist if I can detangle at every phase where it is needed with my own wide tooth comb and also if I can use my own detangler (KCKT) leave in. I think that will be perfectly okay actually. If it's not I may have to wonder about what kind of salon it is as far as wanting to please the customer. It seems so far to be very big on that though so if I don't ask I will not know right?

Thanks for the replies!

ericthegreat
November 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
It really depends on the individual salon. In say a well known salon that specifically carries a name brand like Paul Mitchell or Aveda or John Frieda, everyone from the hairstylists to the shampooers to even the lady who sweeps the floor is urged to sell the company line because their very jobs depend on it. Its not just a hair salon, it is indeed an actual name that they are selling to their client. In these kinds of salons, you will not be allowed to bring or use your own hair products. You are required to become their ultimate customer, so all the products they use to wash, condition, deep treat, detangle, and style your hair with are under the salon's own name brand. This encourages the client to buy their products.

The only salons that will let you get away with using products that you bring yourself are neighborhood salons owned by small business owners. It really depends on you, the client and what your particular needs are.

Curlsgirl
November 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
It really depends on the individual salon. In say a well known salon that specifically carries a name brand like Paul Mitchell or Aveda or John Frieda, everyone from the hairstylists to the shampooers to even the lady who sweeps the floor is urged to sell the company line because their very jobs depend on it. Its not just a hair salon, it is indeed an actual name that they are selling to their client. In these kinds of salons, you will not be allowed to bring or use your own hair products. You are required to become their ultimate customer, so all the products they use to wash, condition, deep treat, detangle, and style your hair with are under the salon's own name brand. This encourages the client to buy their products.

The only salons that will let you get away with using products that you bring yourself are neighborhood salons owned by small business owners. It really depends on you, the client and what your particular needs are.

I was wondering if that was true. This is a salon that sells Kerastase exclusively I am pretty sure. The other thing I might do is to ask them to leave it wet and have my leave-in in the car to add when I leave.

rogue_psyche
November 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
If I were you, I'd not only bring a leave-in, I'd bring shampoo and conditioner too. Since you're there to get highlights, why dry out your hair with their SLS products before you get those highlights? I'd also either ask that your colorist do the detangling or that you do it yourself. Most of the clients at the salon have MUCH shorter hair than you, and so the stylists don't really know how to handle long hair. I know from experience.

When I was little my mom took me to a Fantastic Sams where the hair stylist piled my hair on my head when he washed it, then piled it on my head again and vigorously rubbed the towel on my head to dry it. Needless to say I was a a mess of tangles after that. The thing that really got me is that he was mad at ME for having tangles. I had to hold back the tears as he ripped at my hair with a fine tooth comb, all while berating me for waiting too long for a trim and supposedly not using enough conditioner. If I remember correctly he insisted on cutting six inches off of my virgin hair when I just wanted an inch off.

Laululintu
November 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the issue :) I've got a hair appointment booked next week, and need to remember to ask the stylist to take their time detangling, as my hair's favourite hobby is tangling :p Or at least to use a wide toothed comb (my hair eats fine toothed combs for breakfast when wet).

pradabacon
November 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
When I was little my mom took me to a Fantastic Sams where the hair stylist piled my hair on my head when he washed it, then piled it on my head again and vigorously rubbed the towel on my head to dry it. Needless to say I was a a mess of tangles after that. The thing that really got me is that he was mad at ME for having tangles. I had to hold back the tears as he ripped at my hair with a fine tooth comb, all while berating me for waiting too long for a trim and supposedly not using enough conditioner. If I remember correctly he insisted on cutting six inches off of my virgin hair when I just wanted an inch off.

!!!! I hope your mom never took you back to that place! How horrible!

As for taking your own stuff to the salon or asking to do the detangling yourself, it never hurts to ask. And if they can't do it for some reason and you really like their service otherwise, I think leaving with it wet is a good compromise.

grldollies
November 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Well, I do not go to an upscale salon as far as they are contracted with certain products or is a chain/franchise. I go to a nice salon that each hair-stylist is independent and the shop is independently owned/rented. They have a few products on a shelf but do not promote a brand. Most of them “Did that - Done that” earlier in their careers and are way over the hype (each company is better then the other). I have been going to a nice sweet lady for about 25 years. I have over the years mostly only had trims, except when I first went to her - I had short & permed hair for a couple of years but went back to long hair 22 years ago. I’ve always have had problems combing my fine hair out. I bring my special combs and detangler items; she washes & conditions my hair and then waits for me to comb it all out. She then trims the bottom of my straight hair for me (no blow dry) which is about every 2-3 months. I always give her a very large tip & extra at Christmas. Large tips (40% or more) can make everyone happy. She does not mind my product pickiness. Even though I do not go in much I make sure she knows I appreciate her services. She also does my moms hair when she visits from up north. My mom is 71 and still has blond short hair, and likes it that way since she was 13. She brings her special hairspray with her, at home & here for them to use but she does not bring anything else. Her short hair is not a tangle problem – just the opposite she wants them to “tangle it’!

If they would not let you bring your own products then . . . you may always have to go “potty” just before they are going to “comb” your hair out.
Apply your own stuff and then comb it out a bit if you can.

They need to take the proper time with you, slowly combing your precious hair out starting from the bottom first! I encourage you to discuss this with them! You only have one head of hair and it is your personal right to have it treated respectfully – it is an extension of you.
If they are not considerate to your hair health you may have to try another stylist or go to a different salon. Good luck Curly!:puppykisses:

Tap Dancer
November 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Here's the thread: Is this tacky? (salon question) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33179) :)

(More replies to help you. ;))

jojo
November 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
not read the rest of the replies but if I feel a hairdresser is tugging too much on my hair, I offer to comb it out myself, they are normally relieved I think. It goes through me when they rip through hair. I have a good hairdresser now who has hip length hair herself, so she is much more hair friendly.

Keildra
November 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have been going to my salon for years and I occasionally will bring in products that I wish for my stylist to use. She has always been receptive and willing. I think she enjoys finding things to help her in her business. I would ask, there is no harm in that. And as for someone pulling your hair or not being as careful as you would like, I suggest trying what I did. I had visited a stylist that was not my regular person and informed her that I wanted her to please be very careful of my long hair. After quietly saying "ow...ouch, um, that pulls" I finally got her attention by very firmly but loudly saying "OW, YOU ARE PULLING MY HAIR". Extreme but it worked! Every head turned and she got back to business with my hair. I never went back there but it stopped my hair cruelty at the moment!

I've done that before, I've also had to yell at salon ladies for cutting where they weren't supposed to and backcombing and using heat styling. I don't think I've ever had a good salon experience.