PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else growing out weird layers?

mizk5110
November 6th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Mine are horrible! They start just above the middle of my ears, and I'm at APL. She definitely went scissor-happy my last trim. I hate it because the top seems so full, and the bottom is so thin. I had this problem around the same time last year when I was halfway to BSL, and ended up having my fiance's grandmother cut almost 3" off to try to even it up. I was thinking about doing it again, but I'll have to settle with microtrims between now and May so I don't lose my length before my wedding.

So how 'bout it? Who else is battling the crazy layers from the depths?

julliams
November 6th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Yes I am. If I was to cut to all the one length it would be at shoulder length. Sometimes I can kind of blend them in nicely like in my sig pic, but other times it just looks like a wild verandah out the back. I guess it takes some creativity to work out how best to wear your hair and try to go with the layer as best as possible rather than against it.

Although I have considered cutting to the one length, I'm sure I'd find issues with that too so Im sticking with my layers for now and I'll even it out once the layers get to a longer length if I can bear it.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Ohh..Ooh...me too!!lol My canopy is shorter...it is driving me nuts. My hair is about a smidge to waist when stretched, with shrinkage it comes to a good ways past BSL, my short layer shrinks to the top of BSL. It doesn't help that thee underneath layer is a different texture and it stretches considerably with the weight of the length. So shrinkage is much less there. I want to get it evened up, not only cause the layers get on my nerves but because it has been over a year since I've gotten it cut at a hairdresser and I think a good cut may take care of a lot of the tangles.

Wicked Princess
November 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Oh yes, I am, hehe. The last time I cut my hair was at the very end of December (before I found the LHC). I had it cut to lower-waist/hip length, then I had my hairdresser add layers. I really did enjoy the cut at the time, and was complimented on it.

Now, though, my hair is a couple inches from classic and I've cut an inch from the bottom due to those ends being in terrible shape (I hadn't learned to care for my hair yet!). The shortest layer begins at tailbone, and the longest is...well...the length I described. It makes the ends of my hair look frizzy! More frizzy than they actually are.

pepperminttea
November 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Me too! :) I've been growing mine out from a haircut about two years ago. Now all my layers are in the last three inches or so of the length, I'm fighting the urge to cut those three inches off, but I'm just doing microtrims now and then until I reach it. But it does bother me, especially with braiding, when those last inches just fray to madness.

I'm between BSL and waist, and I know that if I do cut them off, I'll be back at pre-BSL - thinking of that suddenly brings my level of patience with my layers a bit higher. :p

Katrina
November 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
And me! :) If I cut back a bit below waist, I would get rid of all layers. I won't, because I'm already at tailbone and reaching this length was a big deal for me. Those layers are annoying though.

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ME ME ME!!!! I have hated my hair because of my layers for the past year and a half!!! They drive me mad. My hairdresser went really scissor happy too and then I was stupid enough to try and give my self a few layers to even it out about 1 year ago, and then I have hated it ever since. I decided I can't take it any more. I know they are so small and insignificant but they can really drive you crazy can't they? lol. I decided I am going to start cutting mine out so got my appointment booked in the salon for 21st nov.Can't wait to get rid of these retched things. My hair seems the opposite to yours, as in, my hair was cut really layered and wispy on top and then thick at the bottom, which I hate because whenever I move my head, the top layers wisp around, the bottom just lies flat against my back lifeless. It's so uneven.

RancheroTheBee
November 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Me, too. I'm at shoulder, and it's layered up to my ears near the back, and a little longer in front. It's quite annoying, but I figure that at BSL and beyond, it won't be as irritating.

Jennie80
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Count me in...I have 30000000 layers..The braid looks so bad..

christi.adell
November 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Mine are driving me crazy. I have been growing from a pixie. Then I cut bangs (bad idea!)
Now it's just a total mess of layers in the front with the back being mostly one length, just past my ears. I hate it right now.

Bluebell
November 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
:waving:Jups, me too! I cut off 2 inches this week. My first haircut in 3 years!! It was layered and very very very V-shaped. Now it is more an U shape and I love it.
Sadly it will take a lot longer to reach tailbone now...

Michou
November 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Same -- if I cut it all one length I'd be just at the top of my shoulders. I might get a tiny (1 cm) trim in December if I can find a stylist I trust. I do want to get rid of the layers.

Does anyone do their own trims?

Anywhere
November 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Heck yes. I have three layers. One at shoulder length, one at BSL, and one at waist. from the side it sometimes looks like I have a weird version of triangle hair. and the layer that reaches waist looks so scraggly and thin being that its only 1/3 of my curly hair, and the curls make it look thinner too. So, around my head its EXTREMELY puffy and curly, the next layer is still curly, and the longest layer just can't compare with those curls. I didn't even ask for layers! Its been 8 months and I feel like they've hardly grown at all! (my shortest layer went from about ear length to shoulder, but theres not much of a difference in terms of how it looks)
:mad::mad:

jesamyn
November 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't have 'weird' layers as much as too many, really. At APL, layers starting at shoulder was perfect. Now I'm down to BSL, and layers starting at shoulder are too much. I have too much taper, and it's all thin near the ends. Makes updos a pain, and braids have bits sticking out (though I ignore that most of the time). I'm not really 'maintaining', but I'm trimming a bit more from the length than I need to so they'll catch up. Thankfully my hair grows quickly.

Michou, I self-trim using Feye's instructions. I know there are a lot of references to them in the forums, so a forum search should help you find them.

fragolina
November 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, I am, too. I don't have that much layers, so I'm lucky, (although I have more layers than I seem to)! I've had layers for many years now, but recently I've decided that layer-free hair is healthier: you just have to trim the ends! If you have layers, they need to be cut, too, and that's difficult ... plus, long, healthy hair doesn't need layers to look good, they're only disturbing.

Layer-free hair! :cheese:

SHELIAANN1969
November 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I was, for over 2 years, untill just recently! :) I feel your pain, happy growing and know that it wont last forever. :)

linda g
November 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
My weird layers are self-inflicted :disgust:

natorade
November 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I am growing out layers too. My short layers in the back are growing out quickly it's the ones in the front that are driving me crazy and taking forever to grow. They started out at 2 inches long.

Bunnyhare
November 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, i am in this club! I had mine cut in Oct '08shoulder length with layers...now i am almost to waist but the shortest layer is almost APL..i have a LONG way to go! i decided when i joined TLHC that i would start trimming them out once i hit waist...but now i almost there it doesn't seem long enough to start cutting!!! i still feel like my hair is too short and i would rather keep the length and layers for now..but i can't do a decent braid of any kind because they poke out allover...but they bun in ok...if we all encourage eachother we can make it!!!:cheer:

Niphredil
November 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
yups....

If I were to cut it all one length I would go from past-BSL to just above the shoulders.
No way I'm going to do that just yet :)
I have been without a trim since december 2008 (almost a year now) and starting January 2010 I will do bi-monthly trims where I cut about half the growth. I still gain length and it will even out gradually. I won't go all one length though, doesn't suit me nor my hairtype, but I want my layers to be subtle and just in the last couple of inches, not all over as they are now. I'd like moderate fairytale ends but before I let it taper naturally I want a waistlength u-shaped hemline first.

Yarn Muse
November 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm growing out layers. I don't think they're *too* weird. I have curly/wavy hair and have worn it shoulder length for a long time. My hairdresser cut a few bangs and some long layers to encourage the waves. I may keep my few bangs but the rest, I would like to be all one length.

Happy growing! We'll get there.

wahmof9
November 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I am and I hate them. My hair is almost BSl and my shortest layers are not even shoulder length.. Yuck!

HildeMV
November 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
My hair is mostly one lenght now, except for the front. But for a long time I was so tempted to cut it off to the shortest layer, which would make my hair relatively very short.

blackgothicdoll
April 27th, 2020, 12:39 AM
Reviving this thread because this is my life now. It's pretty easy to screw up curly hair cuts :o I have layers that reach my nose, and layers a few inches from BSL. It's a mess

Anyone else in a similar boat? Could use some support :o

zahraomer05
April 27th, 2020, 02:59 AM
Oh yes! My hairstylist layered and thinned my hair at the top and left the lower part untouched. My hair is chin length.

zahraomer05
April 27th, 2020, 03:00 AM
And my hair is curly too. So it’s just one big mess right now. Can’t cut it to balance it out as I’m trying to grow my hair.

jane_marie
April 27th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Reviving this thread because this is my life now. It's pretty easy to screw up curly hair cuts :o I have layers that reach my nose, and layers a few inches from BSL. It's a mess

Anyone else in a similar boat? Could use some support :o

Hey bgd!

I empathize with you. Right now my shortest layer is APL and my racers are just barely touching hip.

I decided to grow out my hair about a week after getting a David Bowie Labyrinth cut.

Hang in there.

Bat
April 27th, 2020, 07:36 AM
Yep I had half and half black n blond. Blond side snapped off so am now trying to grow it even,