PDA

View Full Version : pregnancy affecting curl?

mizk5110
November 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
For all you curlies and wavies out there that have children - did you notice a change in how much your hair curled/waved during and after pregnancy? (If your hair was long enough to tell!) A friend of mine is the second of 6, and her mom's waist-length hair seemed to curl more and more with her last three pregnancies. Granted, the babies were spread out over the course of about six years, and they made a few lifestyle changes in that time (they went from eating everything, to vegan, to just no red meat, started taking flax seed oil daily, and a couple other things)

I'm just wondering if it was the hormones, or the other things, such as the flax. (if it was the hormones, guess I'll have to wait a couple years to test that theory lol)

Arctic
November 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Yes it very often that pregnancy effects the hair's texture in one way or another. It can become straighter, curlier, finer or coarser, wirier, or change colour. It's the hormones, they go wild when woman is pregnant :)

If someone has very strict and poor diet that might also effect hair, but I think in case of pregnancy, that's the main "culprit" at that time.

MerryKat
November 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I definitely 'lost' curl and some of my 'red' from my auburn locks with each pregnancy.

My hair was around 3c and a deep vivid auburn until my first pregnancy and now after 2 pregnancies my hair is around 2c and a medium brown with gold and copper highlights in the sun.

JamieLeigh
November 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
The only reason I really didn't notice my hair too much in pregnancy days was that I was just too darn busy to pay attention. I had all five of mine in rapid succession, and the first pregnancy I was too sick to care about much else. The rest, I already had a kid or kids to care for and didn't pay attention either. I knew it was getting longer, but I never knew I had wave because I was still using cones religiously. :p

I'm sorry I don't have any advice - but I hope that if this is a problem that's seriously bugging you, you get a solution or an answer. :flower: And congratulations! :D

mizk5110
November 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
And congratulations! :D

Thank you, but no baby on board right now! :p Just plain old curious George over here...

Thanks for the answers everyone - guess I'll have to wait a couple years til DFH and I are ready to find out what my hair does with the hormones...

christi.adell
November 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I have a 6 month old and have noticed a lot of changes with my hair.

For one now that I've started air drying it (I've never done that before!) I can see I have some crazy hair. Little ringlets beside my ears, waves near the front, straight in the back.
Before pregnancy it was all straight with a slight wave sometimes as far as I could tell.

Also, and I dont' know if this is due to pregnancy or not, my hair no longer looks good with hilights. Before I would get them and they were a beautiful pale blonde color. Now they turn brassy and gold and are not attractive at all!

wahmof9
November 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Mine did...most of the time it went straight...but with one pregnancy it was extra curly!

GeoJ
November 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I feel like my hair changed from a coarser side of Medium to a finer side of Medium, although I still don't think my hair is fine enough to count as Fine. This seems to be a permanent change, DD will be 4 years old soon.

I have found that with age my hair has lost red and gets golden highlights instead of red highlights (unless I bring the red back with henna :)). Pregnancy didn't seem to affect my color or my thickness (except for a temporary thinning at my temples after DD was born- it is growing back).

ETA: I don't think my wave pattern was seriously affected...You can look at my sig pic to see. Down to my hips is estimated post-pregnancy and pregnancy growth, below that is pre-pregnancy growth. The waves near my head always get pulled out a bit due to the weight of my hair.

CaraLynn
November 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My SIL had stick straight hair for years....baby #1 came along and it got wavy/curly for three years until baby #2, now it's back to straight. Hormones are weird, that's what! I have another SIL whose feet grew with each baby. She's on her fourth and she does have rather big feet. :)