PDA

View Full Version : Y'all might think I'm weird, but

MadHatter
November 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
my perception of hair has changed a bit. I was looking at someone's pictures, and saw one of a thick swath of (fake) hair that this person used to practice braiding.
Well, for a second I thought it was real hair, and my immediate reaction was one of shock, akin to the feeling one might feel when looking at a severed limb. Isn't that odd? I never would have had such a reaction before I started investing so much into my own hair. But now, seeing what looks like a chopped off braid produces a notable visceral reaction, as if the swath of hair is a limb.
Anybody else ever have the same reaction?

Shiva
November 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Well if you're weird than so am I because seeing hair (long hair) get chopped makes me cringe.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/crackhead.gif

ArienEllariel
November 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
isn't that funny? I saw a few youtube videos where these girls (who had really nice long hair to begin with) were getting their hair cut off to much shorter 'do's. I was sitting there thinking, what the heck are you doing!!??" D: and yes, now I cringe (cause I know if I had hair like that, unless someone was dying and somehow choping my hair would save their life... I would never cut it all off!).

Carolyn
November 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I've come across pics of chopped off ponytails and braids on various places on the net. It's always a shock to see lovely long hair in that state.

clairenewcastle
November 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I can understand your emotions on the matter, my initial reaction is always "why?" Behind every chopped off length of hair lies a story......

RoseRedDead
November 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
You're not weird.

It is strange. I feel the same way...

Peter
November 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't think it's weird but I can't say I've ever felt that way (yet).

Although, my perception of hair has also changed since joining LHC. Now I cringe whenever I hear one of my hairs snap. :p

ZenBird07
November 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I don't think it's weird but I can't say I've ever felt that way (yet).

Although, my perception of hair has also changed since joining LHC. Now I cringe whenever I hear one of my hairs snap. :p

Me too...:eek:...but for some reason I can't stop thinking about cancer lately and what I'd do with all the hair that comes out...:confused:

I guess that would be more akin to losing the limb in a horrible accident than just having it chopped off??

Flynn
November 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
O.o I did that, and I might do it again one day. Maybe I haven't been here long enough.

Shermie Girl
November 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, I have. I cringe when I see hair cut and I cringe when my hair is cut.

ravenreed
November 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It doesn't bother me. I figure what people do to their hair to make themselves feel good is what they need to do. What does bother me is dry-looking splitty hair, but again, it isn't on my head, so I look the other way.

I have a dear friend who is growing her hair out long again after having chemo, and it will take her a while, but she is glad just to be alive.

spidermom
November 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
It sounds pretty weird to me. I have no emotion whatsoever tied to anybody else's hair. I'm not terribly sentimental about my own hair, either. I love the stuff on my head, but shed hairs are garbage and so are dried out ends - best cut off (for me).

Perhaps related to the feeling you're having - I am respecting my own hair as more an entity in its own right worthy of nurturing rather than my accessory to toy with and risk destroying.

MadHatter
November 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. Have you ever been surprised by an image of a severed limb? Like, on a show where they're talking about a murder, and BAM there's a picture of somebody's dismembered arm. Then there's that weird gut reaction. It looks so wrong for the appendage to not be attached to the body. Well, that's the feeling I'm talking about (only it's not as strong when looking at the hair (which was fake)). Maybe the fact that it was braided was part of what produced the feeling. It was beautifully woven and had lace braided into it. It would have looked so right attached to somebody's head :)

spidermom
November 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. Have you ever been surprised by an image of a severed limb? Like, on a show where they're talking about a murder, and BAM there's a picture of somebody's dismembered arm. Then there's that weird gut reaction. It looks so wrong for the appendage to not be attached to the body. Well, that's the feeling I'm talking about (only it's not as strong when looking at the hair (which was fake)).

I think I get you, and no - never had that feeling. I have an 8-inch-long braid from when my son had long hair but had to cut it for a job. So I'm used to seeing something like that.

Wicked Princess
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I don't think it's strange - but I don't get the feeling you describe. :shrug:

I DO find myself paying attention to hairstyles on TV, though. I don't watch TV very often, but after a show has been highly recommended by friends, I like to go on a TV watching binge on a weekend and watch an entire season, hehe. My fiance has been very amused by the new trend of me commenting on actors' and actresses' hair and hairstyles. :o

TheEndlessOcean
November 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I get a similar reaction when I see hair being cut off, but not so much looking at hair that's already off.

RancheroTheBee
November 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Oh, my goodness! I think I was looking at the same picture as you. It's a member, right? I was so shocked. And it seemed weird that I'd be shocked considering it wasn't real hair, and she used it for braiding, but... yes. I know how you feel.

Aer
November 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah. When I see that, it does seem like someone cutting off a limb. I don't feel like that person is a amputee or anything, but I do cringe when I see a pony tail being chopped off.

Kris Dove
November 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I feel the same way- maybe because I subconsciously associate it with how I'd feel if that were my hair?

Hiriel
November 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
What does bother me is dry-looking splitty hair, but again, it isn't on my head, so I look the other way.

Since joining LHC I've been getting these urges to run over to people with dry frizzy hair you can tell would be pretty curls if they were more careful with it and yell "conditioner! use a comb, not a brush! conditioner!" I haven't though ;)

pepperminttea
November 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I used to get this at the hairdresser (when I still went to one, that is); standing up when they were done, being surrounded by my scraps of hair, some of them still trying to curl. It always felt really sad, in a strange way.

pilateschick7
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I have felt the same way.

I also find myself subconsciously cringing while watching True Blood on HBO. I read it took 36 hours to get Anna Paquin natural color to that shade.

I know she gets paid a substantial amount of money to do this as part of the role, however I still just want to check for split ends and do and SMT.:)

Redheaded Raven
November 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
No I don't think you are weird, I feel this way about some pics that I have taken.

I have some of some hair that I bought that I do all kinds of things with and when it is just lying there looking like a severed braid or other style, I kind of do a double take. :rolleyes: And I took the pic and know that it is fake hair:o

halo_tightens
November 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM
...being surrounded by my scraps of hair, some of them still trying to curl.

I must be the same way, because that very nearly made me cry.