PDA

View Full Version : Not an updo kind of gal (or guy)?

whiteisle
November 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Ok, other than my genetic inept-ness for creating or accomplishing updos, I seriously just don't think I've got the "look" to wear my hair up. I feel I'm pretty unattractive with all my hair pulled back into a pony/bun/braid and half-ups are even worse. I think that's in part why I kept my hair shorter for so long. I've got a long face (maybe oblong) and the short hair seem to give me some lift and width. I really want to grow my hair long again but I wonder sometimes if it is in vain since wearing it up (for protection, trying all the beautiful updos I see on the boards, etc.) just isn't in the cards for me.
I'd hate to think I'm being self-defeating by wearing it down so much. I'd like my eventual long hair to be pretty and representative of what long, healthy hair can be but can that happen if it's worn down/loose most of the time? I will pull it back into a low and loose pony to just get it out of my face during the day (and to keep it away from little drool covered exploring fingers lol) but that's the extent of my updos.
Does anybody else out there wear their hair down mainly?

Anywhere
November 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I wear my hair down maybe 80% of the time, when I wear it up or in a bun, it shows off my awkward head shape and huuuugely pointy nose. Ugh. If I'm at home or something I put it in a bun though, not like my family cares how I look, they should love me anyway. But I too feel your pain. [dutch] Braids look okay on me though, so I've been known to wear those out in public.

ETA" My hairline is also maybe an inch above where my head starts to go back to form my scalp, which I think is part of the culprit. Makes me look older or something. *sigh*

Eniratak
November 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I wear my hair down all the time.
I don't like my face. Kinda simple as that, really.
I've worn it back in a rope braid bun once because I had a piano recital and that's the first time and probably last that I've gone to school with it back.

Also, I have an off placed widow's peak and it's so strange.

meowmeow
November 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I mostly wear my hair down unless I'm doing physical activity. I don't know, I just think I look nicer that way and you can see my curls too! One thing about updos that bug me is that I get tuffs on the sides of my head, and usually it's only on one side so it's not symmetrical. Also, my hair never lies flat like those with straighter hair, so I get bumps too. :\

DMARTINEZ
November 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Ive been told that I look better with my hair down,but i still wear it up 90% of the time.I
have a long face too. Ive just gotten to the point where I dont care. ;) And boy Im glad! Dont
know what to tell ya,,If you like it down,maybe when you go out etc. But for around the house
put it up?

Deb

Wicked Princess
November 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
The most important thing to do is to ENJOY YOUR HAIR! If you enjoy it shorter, then by all means keep it short. If that means you enjoy wearing your long hair down, then I say go for it.

It's true that often-times updos can be protective. But gentle washing, combing, and making sure it isn't caught in things are also important parts of keeping your healthy and damage free.

Tinose
November 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
You could always have some bangs cut into it. I haven't, because I don't want to have to fuss with making sure even part of my hair's always presentable enough to have down, but it's an option.

If you just want to leave your hair down, though, that's a perfectly acceptable option! You'll probably never reach the extraordinarily long lengths like that (though you still might), but waist is perfectly doable. When I was in my teens, I was probably hip length, and wore it down daily and dried it out horribly washing it and brushed it horribly and still got it down there. To make it look good down when wearing it down long daily, you'll probably want to go to more effort with deep treatments and finding the best possible routine because its condition will be more visible on a day to day basis than someone who wears their hair up in a bun all the time and you won't be able to cheat with overoiling your bun and suchlike as often. But if that's what makes you happiest, then that's what's important.

Roseate
November 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
You might also find that as your hair grows longer your feelings about updos may change. I had never worn my hair up in my life until about BSL (the last time I grew it out). I didn't even like ponytails and never wore them.

As it grew, though, it became more desirable to be able to get it out of my way; and once I had learned updos for convenience I learned to make them more flattering, so I could wear them for style too. Now I love wearing my hair up.

You can definitely have long hair and wear it down though! Enjoy it, either way. No point in having hair you don't enjoy, whether that means wearing it down or up.

ravenreed
November 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I wore my hair down almost all the time until I hit waist AND I dyed it... I had to change things at that point because I was cutting as much damage as I was getting growth. So, depending on your hair, I wouldn't worry until you see it is a problem. Even now, my hair is down about half the time since I feel like buns make me look older and I know they make my round face look rounder.

Shiva
November 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm not really an updo person either, but I am a half-up person when doing things around the house, yard, etc.... it took me a while to get used to myself with my hair pulled back. I never thought I had the face for it, but now it's like second nature to put it (at least) half back to keep it out of my face.

I can't do a pony tail either because it slips out so fast.

chotee
November 6th, 2009, 01:42 AM
i like updo's not because it looks good but the convinience. But, my DH thinks i don't look good in buns.now that is different so, i decided to braid more often. And took off a few inches too so i can leave it down with a thicker hemline and more often. You can leave some hair around your face.

GlassEyes
November 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I wear my hair down a lot, but I have no hatred for putting my hair up.

The only thing that annoys me is that my hair has to be wet to do most properly--though i do a dry sock bun now that I think looks nice.

RavennaNight
November 6th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Your hair isn't going to break off and fry for wearing it down. It isn't going to be unkempt as long as you apply good grooming standards to yourself. Wearing it up all the time is for people with really fragile hair and those who really like to. I'm starting to wear it up more out of necessity at work, and I am finally at a length I can do more with it. But I absolutely love hair down.

Rosetta
November 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I'm not really an updo kind of person either :)
Or, well, it varies, as outside home I usually wear my hair down, at home I usually wear it up (to keep it out of the way).
It's not so much about looks only, wearing hair down in public I mean, although I do like much more the way I look with my hair down; but also about personality. Long hair is "part of me", and wearing it down kind of screams to the world "I'm a longhair" - which keeping your hair up & hidden certainly doesn't do! There have been times when I've mostly worn my hair up (in public), and truth be told, I didn't really feel quite like "me" then...

As others have said here, the most important thing is for you (each of us) to enjoy your own hair! I've always felt that what good is long hair if you always keep it hidden and don't show it to others... I do understand the thing about protectiveness, but there is a limit - to me, that is like spending all your life inside a cubicle (say), never leaving it - that would protect you from most dangers, sure, but what kind of life is that?!

And as the fact is that the vast majority of people wear their hair down, whatever the length, if longhairs wear theirs up, they have in fact less hair "on sight" than those with shorter hair... And we longhairs cannot have that, can we? :p
Oh, and how could people on this site ever make any long-hair sightings, if everyone just wore their hair down all the time? :p
(Actually, from what I see in IRL, many longhairs seem to wear their hair down a lot.)

(Of course, if my hair was superlong and attracted too much attention, I might feel a bit different about this, as I also might if I was aiming for superlong, which I'm not.)

Anyway, I'm so glad to see a thread like this, as these forums are full of threads like "wear your hair up for a month" or "I never wear it down", etc... So this makes a nice change :)

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
EdG (a popular member on here) is known to wear his hair down on a daily basis, and his hair looks amazing down to his ankles. My mum hates my hair in a bun, she says it just reminds her of what grannys wear haha, but I've got over that now. I have to admit, now that I have been wearing a bun for so long, I hate the feeling of having it down now.

Pixna
November 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I like the FEEL of my hair up, but I don't think my face looks attractive with all of my hair up. And, like others, my husband prefers my hair down. Also, I have very fragile hair around my face and temples, and pulling it back tends to break it, no matter how gentle I am. So, for now, as I grow my hair longer, I am planning on wearing it down only OR doing a half up with a Flexi-8 OR, when it gets long enough, maybe doing a half-up with a braid (my husband always liked that when my hair was longer). If necessary, to get my hair out of the way, I might do a low pony with a Flexi. But for now, I'm planning on wearing it down virtually all the time.

rumi
November 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Hi, I'm glad to find this thread as it all seems to be wear your hair up competitions and that just doesn't suit me. My face is far too round and my feathers really curly so I dont get the frame for the face if it goes up. In fact I think the only time it goes up is when I let the conditioner sit for 5 mins or so in the shower.

So what are your tips and trick for windy/rainy days? Do you carry any magic potions around with you?

myrrhmaiden
November 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I rarely if ever wear my hair up. It makes me feel unattractive, despite Hubby assuring me this is not the case. I like how it feels when it is away from my face. It always itches me when down, especially my nose! Grrrrr! I have super sensitive/reactive/allergic skin, so I do wear it up around the house, for relief, but that's about it. Comfort takes a backseat to vanity for me.

Katze
November 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I used to feel the same way. Honestly I do not like the look of buns or ponytails, much, or my face with my hair up.

Now that I have a baby, I *have to* keep my hair out of her way, otherwise I would be bald. i can also spend less time picking my hair out of my food, the dishwasher, sink, dirty diapers etc. never mind rolling on it in sleep, not having enough hands to keep it out of the way of zippers, bags, baby etc in addition to carrying baby and all our gear.

I still wear it down when I can but prefer to keep it up for the time being. Yes, I look dumpy, but when baby is bigger and I can wear it down (or in half ups, which are more practical) I will enjoy it all the more.

hmmm
November 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I'm not an updo kind of gal because I don't have long enough hair for that yet. The only style I know how to do is tucked under in a fake bob, which makes it look only two and a half inches shorter than it is. But it's still cute and I'll still do it, even though nobody notices that it's shorter except my mom.

But I can't wait for my hair to get long enough to do updos! That's part of the appeal of long hair for me, to have more options. Now I only get to wear it down.

Autumnberry
November 27th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not really an updo kind of person either :)
Or, well, it varies, as outside home I usually wear my hair down, at home I usually wear it up (to keep it out of the way).
It's not so much about looks only, wearing hair down in public I mean, although I do like much more the way I look with my hair down; but also about personality. Long hair is "part of me", and wearing it down kind of screams to the world "I'm a longhair" - which keeping your hair up & hidden certainly doesn't do! There have been times when I've mostly worn my hair up (in public), and truth be told, I didn't really feel quite like "me" then...

As others have said here, the most important thing is for you (each of us) to enjoy your own hair! I've always felt that what good is long hair if you always keep it hidden and don't show it to others... I do understand the thing about protectiveness, but there is a limit - to me, that is like spending all your life inside a cubicle (say), never leaving it - that would protect you from most dangers, sure, but what kind of life is that?!

And as the fact is that the vast majority of people wear their hair down, whatever the length, if longhairs wear theirs up, they have in fact less hair "on sight" than those with shorter hair... And we longhairs cannot have that, can we? :p
Oh, and how could people on this site ever make any long-hair sightings, if everyone just wore their hair down all the time? :p
(Actually, from what I see in IRL, many longhairs seem to wear their hair down a lot.)

(Of course, if my hair was superlong and attracted too much attention, I might feel a bit different about this, as I also might if I was aiming for superlong, which I'm not.)

Anyway, I'm so glad to see a thread like this, as these forums are full of threads like "wear your hair up for a month" or "I never wear it down", etc... So this makes a nice change :)

Well, I agree with everything you said :D. I put it up at home and during harsh outdoor weather (sometimes). Otherwise I wear it down.

Honestwitness
November 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I prefer my hair down, also. When it's windy, I put on a square scarf, folded into a triangle, and tied under my chin, like the pretty ladies in the 50s movies. (Think Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, etc.)

My hair is only APL, so that works for me for the time being, but when it gets longer, I'll be experimenting with some kind of quick updo that doesn't look lumpy under a scarf. I say "quick" updo, because I want to be able to take it down quickly, once I get back indoors.

I'm still experimenting with hair toys and tools. Bobby pins are too grabby and always pull a few hairs as I remove them. Pinch clips have little metal parts that snag my delicate hairs and pull on them as I remove them. Hair sticks are ineffective at keeping my hair up, unless I make the bun so tight I get a headache. Snap clips work pretty well, but only the ones that are about 2 inches long. The larger ones don't grip well enough and slip out too easily. Plus, every time I experiment with all these things, I end up pulling out a few more hairs as I try to remove them.

For clutzy me, a downdo is actually safer for my poor, defenseless hairs.

rumi
November 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I used to feel the same way. Honestly I do not like the look of buns or ponytails, much, or my face with my hair up.

Now that I have a baby, I *have to* keep my hair out of her way, otherwise I would be bald. i can also spend less time picking my hair out of my food, the dishwasher, sink, dirty diapers etc. never mind rolling on it in sleep, not having enough hands to keep it out of the way of zippers, bags, baby etc in addition to carrying baby and all our gear.

I still wear it down when I can but prefer to keep it up for the time being. Yes, I look dumpy, but when baby is bigger and I can wear it down (or in half ups, which are more practical) I will enjoy it all the more.

I agree, I swear I look twice as big all over when my hair is up, I get jelous when I see people with long necks pulling of elaborate styles I barely have a neck :(

Leah Polamalu
November 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not much an updo person. My bangs are to my collarbone while the rest of my hair is about waist/hip length, so normal braids don't work on me and I'm not a fan of buns. Sometimes I'll wear my hair in a ponytail, but that's it.

When I'm home, my hair is always in a messy bun though, just to keep it out of my pine sol and soup.

Pifkin
November 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I don't like how I look with my hair up either. I almost always wear it down when I'm out, but I usually wear it up in a bun while I'm at home just to keep it out of my face.

JenniferNoel
November 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
My head is too oddly shaped in the back for any kind of updo, not even a simple ponytail. And as far as pigtail braids, let's not even go there. :o
I have a big, wide-diamond shaped face from the front, and from that angle, updos look generally fine. But when I look at it from the back or the side, my head just looks so ill-formed, or even underdeveloped.
Half updos look good, if done with enough hair down. :cheese:

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I actually used to hate updos - mostly because for me that constituted a ponytail - I didn't know how to do anything else, and I too suffer from having too little neck, and too round a face.

I informally did the 'updos for x-amount of time' challenge last winter - I think I wore my hair up from September until April, every day; with the static, I just couldn't wear it down. Funnily enough, I now quite like updos, now I know how to do a few more, and have gotten used to how they feel. They grow on you. :)

blueroses79
December 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Me either! Well, I like the way it feels up; I nearly always wear it up while teaching, then take it down. And I wore it up for most of high school because I didn't bother to dry my hair between my shower and school. Plus there was one look w/3 braids that I kind of liked. But it doesn't look as good, by far. My face is asymmetrical, w/a huge nose. I need the frame of hair. I don't really aspire to any huge buns (I've never done them, even when I had the length), though I do sort of long to be able to wear all these lovely hair toys.

I keep face framing quasi-bangs whatever my length.

Copasetic
December 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I hardly wear my hair up. I put it up for work, because I have to, but other than that it is usually down. And when I do put my hair up, it is never in a nice updo. Its just in a plain bun or a braid.

redneckprincess
December 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
i dont really like to wear my hair up that much either..I used to before i started taking care of my hair..but now all i want to do is show it off..I do still like some updo's from time to time and im sure when it gets WAYYYYY longer and i have 1000's of really cool styles to choose from i will wear it up more often..maybe

spidermom
December 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
It's your hair and you get to do what you like, so enjoy. I'm coming to this same realization myself lately. I have been concentrating on protecting it so that it will grow longer (plus stay out of my way) for such a long time. Lately I'm just plain sick of it. I'd like to straighten it or curl it or wear it down - so many things I don't do because it's not good for my hair. Phooey! What about what's good for me? Oops - sorry about the rant. Really - don't get into this trap; it's a pain, and it's no fun.

Sissy
December 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I wear my hair down unless I'm doing physical activity or cooking. I just can't really stand it up and I don't know how to do any decent updos. I think that if I lost about 40 lbs I would look OK with my hair up but the way my face looks now I can barely stand to wear it back in a pony! I'm very self conscious like that and I enjoy hiding behind my hair I guess.

drquartz1970
December 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
My preference most of the time is to wear my 12 inches of hair loose as I feel more comfortable with it loose and seldom wear updos unless it's absolutely necessary. Only on hot humid days sometimes will I wear my hair in an updo to allow the skin pores on my neck to breathe and to keep the sweat off the hair as much as possible. And this is mostly just around the house or when doing odd jobs or exercising.

Outside the house on a hot day I will wear an updo with a beanie or a hat or just in a ponytail. I only do a simple updo with a hair claw clip around the crown area. At the end of the day loose hair is more comfortable for me then hair wrapped around the head which I find itches more from having naturally oily hair.

Also having mostly fine hair I don't want to add tension to it with restraining it too tightly through traction and losing some hair each time even though updos are great for less tangles - I usually do a good comb out in the morning and another combing before bedtime.

Bellona
December 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I hate my hair up, too. I feel like my cheeks are kind of chubby compared to the rest of my face, so pulling it back at the temples just exaggerates my face looking chubby. I managed to grow to almost waist (cut it back in July) wearing it down all the time in public, except if it was greasy or something.

Some others have mentioned this, but I actually did start liking the way ponytails and chignpns looked when I got past BSL. I never tried any updos other than a chignon because I hadn't found this site yet (and was treating my hair SO BADLY that I have no idea how it got that long in the first place). So you can just wear it down for now, but as it gets longer keep trying new things!

EdG
December 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I wear my hair down all of the time. I'm very good at keeping it out of trouble. :)

The main problems are windy weather and thudpiles. I'm used to the thudpile part, but the wind I can't do much about. :D
Ed

lapushka
December 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Updos take some getting used to. I know that tightly pulled back hair doesn't suit me. Short-short hair doesn't suit me either. I'm keeping it layered, it keeps some movement and volume in the hair and the layers frame my face. I need that. Also, the layers remove lots of weight from the hair, making it less flat on top (another thing that doesn't suit me). I have to keep some styling in the hair and have to pick the updos. Most don't agree with me, esp. if they're low at the nape and very classical looking.

Hiriel
December 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Be careful not to trip over all the thudpiles, Ed, your hair is certainly thudworthy :) :thud:

FB
December 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am not much of an up do person for many reasons. I like my hair down because it keeps me warm. But the main reason I really don't wear my hair up is because I am not talented enough to put my hair up in up do and it look good or stay for that matter.

Zindell
December 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I almost always wear my hair down. I think I look better that way (or at least less ugly heh), and I like to show of my hair. :p

Every now and then I put it up in a half up or braid it, but it's not very often...

Spike
December 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
It's your hair and you get to do what you like, so enjoy.

What Spidermom said!!!

I'm growing back out in order to have options--I love the buns and braids, and have discovered that many of the elaborate updos that make me drool are nothing more than sections pinned and arranged.

When I get there (waist+) if I find that I hate taking the time to put it up all the time, I will wear it down and step up the moisturizing treatments. If I get to such a length that caring for it makes me unhappy, then I'll cut it back to wherever wasn't such a hassle.

It may be heresy to day this, but ya know, it's just hair. It should serve me and my needs, not the other way 'round.

almudena
December 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
It's your hair and you get to do what you like, so enjoy. I'm coming to this same realization myself lately. I have been concentrating on protecting it so that it will grow longer (plus stay out of my way) for such a long time. Lately I'm just plain sick of it. I'd like to straighten it or curl it or wear it down - so many things I don't do because it's not good for my hair. Phooey! What about what's good for me?

Exactly that :agree:

When I first came here, all was about wearing your hair up. I tried, and I actually got a nice hair toys collection (which sooner than later will go to the swap board).

The fact is that I’m not an updo person either. I wear my hair down 90% of the time and if it’s up, is for practical reasons. I’m a longhair girl and I love to wear it down. My hair is one of my best features and yes, I’m vain :)

sedonia
December 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have a friend with beautiful fine and curly long hair who wears hers down almost every day. She has no visible damage. It is hip length.

Gypsygirl
December 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
My hair is pretty heavy (it really is like a horse tail when put it in a ponytail) and because it is so heavy I usually leave it down. For work, I have to leave it down. I have layers and bangs, too, and I really like them- I don't think I will ever go back to "all one length". I get highlights 4-5 times a year but I tend to only blow the bangs dry and let the rest of it air dry which is supposed to keep your hair very healthy! That is one of the things I learned on here, really... In the past I basically just let it air dry out of laziness, lack of time and to save myself from getting arm cramps- holding that hair dryer up for the amount of time I'd need would just be painful! But I think it is a real hair saver...my hair is pretty healthy even though it's highlighted and I wear it down all the time.

Arkady
December 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'll put my hair up if I'm busy cooking, painting or sewing, or it's windy out, but otherwise I tend to leave it down. I like feeling it swish. What's the point of long hair if you can't have the fun of swishing it? :)

vdhendrix
December 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
i always wear my hair down, very occasionally ill wear it in a side braid, one briad down the back or a pony tail, but thats only when i need to keep it out of the way, i also dont like how i look with my hair up