PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser says mix shampoo with tint

Halo
November 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
What is the best procedure when touching up long blonde hair? I try not to overlap as I was told thats not good but I also want my hair to be very light. I usually use high lift tints. Will putting a 40 volume high lift tint on your full head be disasterous? A hairdresser told me to mix my color tint with shampoo and apply it to the length of my hair the last five minutes. Does that sound ok to do?

Fractalsofhair
November 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
High lift tint just means high peroxide. That is VERY damaging to hair. I've used 10 volume peroxide and it destroyed my hair. My hair was only shoulder length then as well, and I also used a blow drier on it.

It's very hard to bleach your hair very light and have long hair, if not impossible. But, I'm sure other members can give better advice.

Halo
November 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thank for the help. I think I'll just stick to my roots I think having blonde hair has got to be the worse as far as damaging it. How did you damage your hair using 10 volume? That is a fairly low volume of perioxide.

Fractalsofhair
November 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have fine hair. 10 volume can destroy hair, though I did use a blowdrier for about a month on a coolish temperature. Roots only is a good option, but if you're going to dye your hair, you are going to have to baby it more than other people probably. That includes doing things like wearing it up constantly and only washing once or twice a week and things like that that are a PAIN! Good luck though, and I hope a long hair who dyes their hair with success can pop in here!

angelthadiva
November 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM
My hair color is at the opposite end of the spectrum, but when I colored it to freshen up the ends...The stylist would do a root touch up and use what was left as a shampoo (not mix it with the poo) and apply it to the length for a refresh...For 5 minutes, then rinse.

My hair was a darker shade of auburn and red tends to fade, so my roots would look fresh with faded length. This method worked for me and I continued to do it at home when I was doing box dyes.

In between colorings though I would use a color "refresh" shampoo. John Frieda has a line. This option I would guess would be much less damaging than adding more bleach to your length.

spidermom
November 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I was reading about how to dye hair with blackberries, and it advised mixing the juice with shampoo, applying to hair, and leaving it for 8-12 hours. Shampoo opens the cuticle so the color can get in.

I can't think of a single reason why you should mix peroxide with shampoo. Peroxide opens the cuticle all on its own. I think you'd be better off with root application only.

Co Phi
November 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm a hairdresser, so I'll pop in here with a quick answer. Yes, putting 40 vol. on your hair is damaging. But by diluting it with shampoo, 40 volume becomes a much lower volume. The same thing happens if you dilute it with water, or even conditioner. So, theoretically it will be quite a bit less damaging and won't lighten as dramatically as if you did not dilute it. Hope that helps! :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've had a lot of 40vol developer on my hair, I have been every color from a very pale red head to a near white blond. If you continue to put it on your length it will be very damaging, if you do root applications and then run it through the length for 10mins before washing it isn't too harsh but you have to take really good care of your hair in between. Check out the bottle blondes thread, there is a lot of good information there about how to care for hair. Coconut oil also helps!

Isilme
November 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
well, even if the shampoo would dilute the peroxide you would still do this every time you did your roots. Five minutes can become quite a long time with repeated applications. I would not do this, but that's just me.

Fractalsofhair
November 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
To refresh your color, you may want to look into a deposit only dye. Like manic panic and such. You'd want to dilute blue or purple into conditioner, and apply to your hair and leave in for 15 or so minutes. This will NOT lighten your roots(Ie, use your regular color on your roots), but it will make hair that is light yellow appear closer to white, without damage. The only possible harmful side effect is that your hair MAY(though it may not) appear slightly blue/purple to others for a couple of days. Manic panic is totally harmless to use on hair(provided you don't use their bleach kit), and is a mild conditioner, though diluted with a good conditioner, it provides weaker coloring and better conditioning. There are many other brands of this sort of hair dye, I've only used manic panic though. They are normally used for "strange" hair colors, but diluted will work wonders as a toner(Which is what you really need if you want white hair!). I would absolutely NOT suggest letting the hair dye run down the length of your hair if you are trying for waist/hip length hair(36 inches on me is waist.). Do literally your roots only, and at most, once a month. Do try to stretch the bleachings out to once every 2 months even. Roots suck, but so does the effects of dying over hair and bleaching hair about 5-12 times XD.

About feeling like your hair is always darker than it is! I generally feel like that as well, and I'm a natural blonde. I just feel like since it's not as light as the "dark blonde" on the package, I feel weird, even though my hair is a very light color for natural hair.

rach
November 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM
honey is method to help lighten hair.......
many here i've seen use sun-in and have achieved some "long" lengths........

Halo
November 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thank you for all the input. I guess I am never satisfied with my hair color and am color blind to boot! It always appears darker to me. Yes, blond hair is very tempermental and its very difficult to find shampoos that lay the cuticle down without having to apply a conditioner. I purchased some Keratese conditioning cream (Loreal) which seemed to work but my favorite still is CHI the sillk oil seems to melt the tangles away without leaving it greasy. I bought some Karite shampoo which is just so. Any advise on a shampoo that smooths the cuticle down. I bought some IN-Depth at Sallys yesterday very reasonable ended costing 6.48 for a jar. I heard this was a good conditioner. What about applying this Indepth prior to tinting and then the last 5 minutes run the color down to the ends?

I thought by diluting the shampoo with the color tint the last 5 minutes of processing it would refresh the color but I don't want to risk having my hair break off either. I more apt to put the high lift tint on my short bangs for a whitish effect than the bottom length of my hair. What I have found was very damaging on the hair was the toner Born Blonde.

Thanks for the heads up. I think though I am going to skip the Manic colors I've seen them at Sallys and they are real intense. Another obstacle I have it my hair just soaks in the color so if I go down with the volume of peroxide to a 30 it drabs my hair a couple shades down. I was a 12 extra light pale blonde and when I went to a 30 vol. and a level 10 instead of a 12 and 40 vol. it grabbed medium beige. Disasterous for me because it takes a month or so of clarifying shampoos to lift the color. I guess if you saw my hair you would think I'm crazy to have wanted to change the color but I go through these stages of being unsatisfied with touching up the roots but then if the color grabs too dark I am just miserable. Do you know anything about the honey lightener? I use the best of conditiioners I like the CHI silk serum the best and the Shine Spray from Bed Hed.

I have used sun in in the past but that is one product to be wary of because it contains some sort of metallic based ingredients that don't mix with perms or hair colors. I know because I messed up my hair big time using sun in. I had a perm done and it melted my hair together. That was in high school. The chemical reaction with the sun in and the perm destroyed my hair that I ended up having to have my hair pretty well shaved off. What is the formula for the honey lightner. I have one for lemon juice 1/2 cup castile organic soap, 1/2 cup water, and 5 tbsp of lemon juice microwave it till it gets hot let it cool shampoo and leave it on for 10 minutes. A little drying but not bad to brighten you blonde hair color.

rach
November 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
here's the honey thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148) and a sun-in tread with a few warnings attached about metallic salts were strand test would be advised (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317).

Fractalsofhair
November 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Why not just dilute the color in a lower peroxide? Or switch to a straight up 40 volume bleach, and then coloring. That might actually be better, because all you'd have to do is tone the bleached hair.