PDA

View Full Version : See Blue Braid

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Just to prove how awful my braiding is... here is a French braid. And yes, that is a big strand of hair just out wandering, taking in the scenery, avoiding the braid.

Please excuse the eerie darkness of the loft. My hair is not blue!

Three versions for your viewing pleasure. It's ok to laugh. Seriously.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/rogue12/Miscellaneous/FB1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/rogue12/Miscellaneous/FB2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/rogue12/Miscellaneous/FB3.jpg

Gumball
March 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think I'll laugh. Even with the nomadic lock I think they're beautiful pictures. Wonderful progress, Blueneko! :)

MadHatter
March 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Looks far better than what I can produce! And that blue cast of the photos looks really cool.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well, I can't french-braid to save my life, so you're doing better than I am! :lol:

UrbanEast
March 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I like the look of the braid. And I know that others have said this already, but you have gorgeous hair.

Cricket
March 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Well, the fact that the blue reflects so readily on your hair means its in great condition! Looks really soft.

The best thing I can recommend is practise, and perhaps something to help your hair stay in the braid if its prone to slipping... it looks glossy enough to do so.

Magdalene
March 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Your hair is so glossy! I love how it reflects the light!

Your braid is better than you think it is!

Lixie
March 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I can't even French braid and am seriously hairstyle challenged in general, so you're doing much better than me. :lol:

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
So, I have a confession.

That was my first French braid ever (I am 34). I just tipped my head back and did it. It was time.

Thank you for the compliments on my blue "The Ring" hair. :)

It is really shiny today, mostly because it is dirty. ;)

I feel empowered!

Poolsoflaughter
March 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
It looks really good! A professional braider from a Ren Faire told me that it helps to keep your fingers close to your scalp as possible for a tighter braid, if so desired..that's helped me a bit.

Anje
March 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
That French braid doesn't look at all bad to me. It's nice and even and smooth. Just a little loose, which a little practice will quickly fix. Like Poolsoflaughter says, just keep your hands a bit closer to your scalp and you'll be all set.

Oh, and I consider myself to be a pretty good braider and I still get the occasional wandering strand, especially at the nape. Strays happen. You'll get it next time.

FrannyG
March 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I think it's lovely. There's nothing to laugh at here, folks. :flower:

Masara
March 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
For a first try, I think it's very good. Like most things, it takes practise, your fingers have to learn the movement. As others have said, keeping your hands as near to the scalp as possible really helps . When I'm learning a new braid I find I tend to shut my eyes and try to visualise what my fingers are doing. I also repeat the moves to myself (I've just worked out the square 4 strand braid, so you can hear me in the bathroom murmuring "under 1, under 2 and wrap") As for the wandering hairs, I've been French braiding my hair for the last 25 years (with a 10 year gap) and I'm still capable of finishing, checking in the mirror and finding that I've missed a whole strand which is just hanging down next to the finished braid.

I love the blue cast, Your hair must be soo shiny and have such a depth of colour for it to reflect like that.

eadwine
March 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I was 34 as well when I did my first French braid. Nothing to be ashamed of! :D It looks wonderful.

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM
i kept a straight face till that last one!!!
But that being said, i cannot braid my own hair for PEANUTS!

for osme reasons i typed peanits 3 times before i typed it with a u!!! in case you wanted to know...

alkaliberry
March 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
It looks good to me!!! far better than any of my efforts. I would be pleased if I had managed that!

Silver & Gold
March 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I was in my 30's the first time I tried a french braid and I believe my first effort was not nearly as good as yours. My hair was much shorter and in layers at the time but french braids actually work well even with layers.

Shield31
March 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Just to prove how awful my braiding is... here is a French braid. And yes, that is a big strand of hair just out wandering, taking in the scenery, avoiding the braid.

What do you mean awful? It looks wonderful :).

And the blueness reminds me of the look when there is mood lighting around :cool:.

Nice Job!!!

Gemma
March 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
No laughing here! You should have seem some of my first braid attempts. ;)

Now that you've done your first French braid, you'll soon find that you get better and better! I could do a Dutch braid in my sleep now, and I only just learnt how to do one about a month ago.

I think your braid looks just lovely, honestly. :)

Sapphire'sWings
March 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
That still happens to me doing the three strand braid! I like your braid too, and you should feel good that you know how to French braid. I don't know how to make any other braids besides the three strand one! :p

Euphony
March 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
woohoo - we have quick reply! (sorry, I just noticed we got it)

Your braid looks wonderful for a first try! Your hair is also looking marvelous. I found when my hair got just a tad longer than yours my french braids came out much better. For some reason I always had issues with braiding this mop of mine when it was shorter. With a little practice your braids are going to be envy inducing.

Patrycja
March 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
you did way better than I could ever do.I've never even tried because I have yet to master a completely straight regular braid.where's the hidey smilie when you need one?

and I dig "The Ring"reference

Meli
March 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I'm not laughing either. I think the braid is very nice for being your first attempt. I still think french braids are difficult, and I'll never forget my first attempt to french braid - I was quite shocked when I checked the mirror because my hard work turned out to be a zigzag-shaped dutch braid... :silly:

atlantaz3
March 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I have my dh tuck in stray strands if I really need my french braid to look perfect. For a first try that was a lot better than my first try! You should see my dutch braid - I can french but turn in all thumbs trying under rather than over!

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Gosh, those pics are gorgeous! I love the lighting and the blue cast it puts on your hair. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with your braiding!

Iylivarae
March 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
It looks better than my french braids do, I always forget some strands or they slip out in some strange ways... so, nothing to worry about, in my opinion!

Little_Bird
March 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Gosh, I love those pictures! Your hair looks so shiny!

The braid as a casual and informal look to it which is very nice... if you keep practicing you will achieve the braiding skills you want.

Good luck and congratulations on the braids so far.. i do like them! :flower:

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think thats a pretty good braid for a first attempt and i agree with the others your hair looks so healthy and shinny better than an pantene advert! grow girl!!

Blueneko
March 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the beginner braider support, everyone! I really appreciate it. I put up another one at work and people said it looked really good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I might get way adventurous and try for something funky this weekend. I feel empowered!

Oh, and please feel free to flood this thread or my PMs with braids of your own so I can compare and contrast!

:)

coppercurls
March 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
[quote=snowbear;4981]Well, I can't french-braid to save my life, so you're doing better than I am! :lol:[/quote

Ditto for me too.:p

Ohio Sky
March 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Aww youll get better at it with practice. Its hard to braid shorter hair and make it look good, but you did a pretty good job. Your hair is so shiny :)

alligatorbaby23
March 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I am allowed to laugh!

Not only can I not french braid, I would be afraid of the image in the mirror, let alone the camera.

I commend you! It looks like a puppy on it's way to becoming a big dog. Your weave is even and you have shine and thickness too! Your hair is beautiful, and it has a ways to grow!
Keep trying, you will get it!
-alligator
P.S. great to see all us back together again, encouragement is the best way to grow!

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Great job on the braid. I love to wear my hair in a single braid also.

jeno
March 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM
It looks good! Keep on practising! I always french braid when I watch tv and my daughter thinks I'm silly when I have to go to the mirror and check it out during commercial!

It looks like if you have thick and kind of slippery hair, then it's really hard to braid! Mine is soft and not very thick and with a little water on it it will stay very well in a french braid.

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I just love the blue color in those pictures! Sometimes I will drop a strand while braiding, and it's so frustrating to think I'm done and check out the results in the mirror only to see a long strand hanging.

PriscillaCherel
November 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I think it looks really good!

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I think the braid is fine! Very healthy looking hair! :)

vintage88
November 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I still haven't learnt the french braid, I think yours looks great - you would definately laugh if you saw my attempt! :)

Madora
November 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Blueneko, your braids were lovely, especially the 2nd picture.

Braiding just boils down to lots of practice as your fingers become used to sectioning evenly, adjusting the tension and angle, and so forth.

The thing is, you made the attempt and succeeded. As you become more confident you can start experimenting with other braided styles and goodness knows where that will take you. Braiding can be a real adventure, at times! Good luck!

spidermom
November 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Good start; I don't see anything that practice won't correct.