PDA

View Full Version : does this happen to you when braiding?

brok3nwings
November 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
im worried.
i dont remember having so many hairs in my cloths when combing... i know this is Autumn and you shed a bit more but COMM'ON! the last about 3 weeks or so everytime i wash my hair i see lots of hairs in my hands. not a good think but thought "well, it can be normal". i have been washing my hair less times than usual cause its winter and i dont like having wet hair...
also im starting to get some dandruff... a lot of itchiness.. (but i had this before and dont remember shedding because of it)
well the thing is... i did wear a braid for about 4/5 days without combing... cause my hair was a MESS and i had to use conditioner to comb...so i waited... when i washed yesterday it was ...OH MY! i think i lost about 250 hairs yesterday... in my hands were about 120...
i am afraid right now. VERY.
I´ve been stressed yes, my boyfriend ended up with me about more than one month...
and havent been taking my vitamins (but a lot of people dont and dont get shed like this..)

I know people here are tired of shedding threads... and i know that one of this reasons i gave may be causing abnormal shed..but my question is...

if you stay 5 days without washing and not combing do you get this about of hairs? Do you see what i saw? (lots of strands coming off..)

im worried :rolleyes:

brunette
November 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I have been shedding a lot these past few days, I have had to finger comb my hair because it was tangled and found lots had come out which was rather alarming.
I have missed a wash so I thought that was probably the reason.

Try not to stress over it, but keep an eye on it, it will probably sort itself out soon.
:grouphug:

jocosema
November 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I think that's normal. I notice that when I braid my hair I seem to shed more. I think it may be that the braid holds the shed hair instead of it falling off randomly all over the house. I've read that it's normal to shed about 100 hairs a day, so if you haven't combed for a few days it's probably normal shed.

rach
November 5th, 2009, 06:18 AM
i wouldn't worry about it to much. people go through phases of shedding more sometimes and less at other times.
i've noticed my shedding more recently simply because of my length gain and it's blocking up the bath plug-hole more often (rach thinks in investing in a plug-hole plunger :ponder:)

Chibbylick
November 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM
That sounds right to me. I get a lot more shed hairs if I go for a few days in a braid without combing out and rebraiding every day. I'm sure it is just that you are seeing a few days shedding all at once.
Chibby

spidermom
November 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
It's normal to see more shed hair if your hair has been contained and you haven't combed for a few days.

Angela_Rose
November 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
That sounds right to me. I get a lot more shed hairs if I go for a few days in a braid without combing out and rebraiding every day. I'm sure it is just that you are seeing a few days shedding all at once.
Chibby

^^ this. You lose about 100 hairs a day, right? So what happens if you leave a braid in for three days? All those hairs that have come out of your scalp are hung up in your braid. You take the braid down, and voila- a big shed that looks like you've lost more hair than normal, but all that's happened is you haven't removed the regular-daily-shed hairs from the overall concentration of your hair.

Anje
November 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
If you went 5 days without combing it or taking it out of the braid, it stands to reason that you'll get 5 days' worth of shed hairs once you take it out. Which works out to 250/5 = 50 strands per day. Don't stress.

pepperminttea
November 5th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Don't worry, that's 4/5 days worth of shed hair, not just at once; your braid was holding them in. :) Panic ye not.

brok3nwings
November 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thank you all so much! i relaxed a bit about it, but i will be aware the next days to see how it goes... :) it is always so bad to see so many shed hairs.. errr ...

Nocturnal
November 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I cannot see a picture of shed hair.
I don't brush every day, but when I do there's always a lot of shed hairs.

brunette
November 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Oo yes the time spent uncombed passed me by - yes definitely what everyone has said, if your hair was contained for 4 or 5 days there'd be trapped hairs to finish shedding.
So now you can relax :)

Gvnagitlvgei
November 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Some people take garlic supplements and apply garlic infused oil and/or a garlic containing conditioner to relieve the problem. I hope it solves fast. It's distressing seeing so many hairs come out.

Ven
November 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I wash my hair one to two times a week and I shed ALOT of hair.

I shed when I comb my hair before I shower, I shed even more when I am in the shower and I shed AGAIN when I get out of the shower and am detangling. I am amazed I still have thick hair! I don't ever remember shedding this bad!

Tis the season I guess. You are not alone.

~Ven

Citrine
November 6th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ditto on what everyone else has said. When your hair is up in a braid for a few days the shed hair has nowhere to go. It will just hang out with the rest of your hair until you take the braid out and brush. Keep an eye on things just to be safe (how horrible would it feel to suddenly find a bald spot?), but shedding "more" after a braid doesn't sound abnormal to me.