PDA

View Full Version : will the effects of biotin wear off

omgkfclolz
November 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I cut my nails 2 weeks ago and they are already back. It seems as if the biotin is working for my nails, and maybe my hair but i honestly can't tell on my hair. I'm wondering if my body will get used to the ridiculous amount of biotin that i'm taking, or will biotin keep on working? I take 5000 mcg before i go to sleep, and 5000 mcg once i wake up.

Deborah
November 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Biotin has helped make my nails stronger, but has no effect at all on my hair. I still take it on the theory that it is probably good for me anyway.

10,000 mcg does seem like a lot though. Probably one of those pills would be plenty. :flower:

Peter
November 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin so you excrete it every day. As far as I know, your body won't "get used" to it like a drug, where you need to take supplements to maintain proper hair/nail growth. In other words, the effects you see after using biotin for a while will probably stay that way until you stop taking it. I could be wrong though, maybe someone with more experience can clarify.

Kris Dove
November 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I don't see the point in taking a huge amount of something water soluble as your body will just excrete it- a vitamin with the 100% RDA should have more than enough. So long as your diet has plenty biotin I don't see why you should have any withdrawal symptoms, although you might if it's deficient. Make sure you eat enough biotin rich food and I'm sure you'll be fine. Sometimes I take vitamins that contain biotin, other times I don't and I can't say I've noticed a difference.