PDA

View Full Version : Showering and Drying

zsuper
November 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
For the past forever, I've always taken hot (steamy) showers. I recently learned that this is bad and tried something new tonight.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, applied conditioner (Eufora, it uses aloe vera gel as a base instead of water, so I had trouble deciding whether I had applied enough and done it evenly), waited five minutes, rinsed the conditioner out with cool water, then rinsed it one last time with ice cold water.

Now, when I get out of the shower normally the first thing I do is comb my towel dry (by dabbing and sort of squeezing) my hair.

After that, I normally comb my hair straight; I've also read that this is bad. So today, instead, I just raked it into semi-straightness with my fingers. Now, here is where the problem is. My hair seems to be 'clumping.' That is, if I lean over so my hair hangs straight down and then back up, I'll end up with clumps of hair sticking up at odd angles and whatnot. Normally when I get out of the shower and my hair's still wet, it has a tendency to lay flat on my head.
Is this good or bad?

After that I applied a frizz serum (John Frieda) and now I'm letting it air dry.

Could anyone tell me if I'm doing something I shouldn't, or if there are better ways to do things? I've read a lot of articles, but there are so many contradictions and what not that it gets confusing.

Also, as far as applying conditioner and serum goes, I lean forward so my hair hangs over my head and then sort of rake my fingers through it and gently squeeze it. Is doing this bad?

Thanks.

manderly
November 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I comb my hair when wet ;) It's just a matter of being extra careful and gentle because your hair is more delicate.

I do lots of bad things. I put my hair into a turbie towel on top my head, let it down after a bit, finger comb in my leave in and gel, then I comb it through and get it detangled, then I scrunch the curls back in :) I'm a rebel.

And I like hot showers. Far too much. :D

Brat
November 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I brush my hair wet. Have to. I'm always gentle, and I can't stand a cold rinse after a warm shower! I can't detangle in the shower either, gets my brush all gummy and nasty. Never been able to do it with my fingers either.

I think you should do what's comfortable for you.

Smitts
November 4th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Brushing your hair when wet is bad.
However, using a wide toothed comb through wet hair slowly and gently works well.

With applying conditioner in the shower. You are suppose to take the conditioner and start where your ponytail would start at on your hair.
You get all of the hair from the start of where the ponytail would start to the very ends. The rest on your hands you move up to your roots. let it sit there for 2-3 minutes then wash out. That is what I do. That is what the instructions for my conditioner say to do.

Dars
November 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
When it comes to what's bad and what's good in hair care it shouldn't be read to every letter. Do what works for your hair. What may not work for someone else may work for you and that doesn't make it "bad". It also comes down to preferences and what you are willing to sacrifice. So in conclusion take your hair care routine with a grain of salt (and everyone else's you read) and remember to enjoy life! If caring for your hair is starting to control your life it's not healthy IMO.

Elphie
November 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I wash and rinse my hair with lukewarm water. I can stand it cooler if the weather is hot, but it's not right now, so lukewarm will have to do. I also use a wide-toothed comb to sort it out after the shower. I generally don't have tangles so this isn't a big process for me. It just dries better if I do. Lately I've been adding a smidge of aloe gel/coconut oil while it's damp and it's been doing nice things for me.

Just because this works for me doesn't mean it works for you. It might be easier to give advice if you could describe your hair type for us. If your hair is very curly, what I do certainly will not work out for you.

pepperminttea
November 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
You could try gently using a wide-toothed comb on it when the conditioner's still in? I find if I do this, my hair will more or less cooperate until it's dry enough for a brushing. :)

Dars
November 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I wash and rinse my hair with lukewarm water. I can stand it cooler if the weather is hot, but it's not right now, so lukewarm will have to do. I also use a wide-toothed comb to sort it out after the shower. I generally don't have tangles so this isn't a big process for me. It just dries better if I do. Lately I've been adding a smidge of aloe gel/coconut oil while it's damp and it's been doing nice things for me.

Just because this works for me doesn't mean it works for you. It might be easier to give advice if you could describe your hair type for us. If your hair is very curly, what I do certainly will not work out for you.
May I ask why you say that?

Elphie
November 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Sure, Dars! I know there are plenty of curly-haired people who prefer to comb (if they do it at all) in the shower, with their hair covered in conditioner to cut down on possible breakage. I'm not a curly girl at all, but I do believe many of them prefer using products to help their curls clump together and might use a plopping method rather than combing it out.

ZenBird07
November 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM

I noticed op is a new member...I don't know about everyone else but I'm STILL trying to figure out my hairtype. Maybe zsuper just hasn't figured it all out yet...?...:)

Elphie
November 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Quite possible, zenbird. I know as I've gained length, my hair has certainly changed as well. But a few hints could be helpful.

Dars
November 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Sure, Dars! I know there are plenty of curly-haired people who prefer to comb (if they do it at all) in the shower, with their hair covered in conditioner to cut down on possible breakage. I'm not a curly girl at all, but I do believe many of them prefer using products to help their curls clump together and might use a plopping method rather than combing it out.
I'm not very curly I suppose but I used to use a wide tooth comb after I got out the shower, but I used it when my hair was covered in conditioner as well.....I couldn't imagine combing after the shower for the first time. :eek: And you're right! The reason I no longer comb after the shower is because the curls form better. I just remember using the comb method after the shower and it's not that it's a bad result rather now it's just better. Okay now I shutup! :foot:

ZenBird07
November 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Quite possible, zenbird. I know as I've gained length, my hair has certainly changed as well. But a few hints could be helpful.

I agree... to even know if hair is course or thick would also be helpful...:)

ravenreed
November 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I use a tangle teaser right before my shower, and after I dry my hair so that it is isn't dripping I use it again to smooth out anything that might have gotten tangled. I am fairly careful when I am cleansing not to snarl it, but I find that if I let my hair dry with tangles, they will be with me until I wet it again. I am extra careful when my hair is wet, and the brushing before I get in the shower helps.

I cannot stand the idea of cold water on my head and back. I even microwave the catnip tea I put in my hair if it came out of the fridge. However, my showers are never THAT hot, so I don't worry too much. I have tried cold water rinses several times, and not noticed enough of a difference to put up with cold water. *shiver*