PDA

View Full Version : Letting the gray grow out?

lilish
November 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hello again! My mother has been debating about not dying her hair anymore. Like me, she started getting gray hair in her early 20's (I think I'm up to 5 or 6) and now (as far as we can tell) she is completely gray and possibly white, judging by her roots. The problem is she knows it will look ridiculous if she just lets it grow out and has no interest in a super short cut. She has chin-length hair and has been dying it for about 30 years. I figured I would ask you guys what her options are. Should she just let it grow out? Is there some way to get the color completely stripped off? She is pretty apprehensive about the whole thing because of how long she has been dying it. I feel badly for her and want to have some good ideas to go back to her with to make this whole thing easier on her. If she goes through with it it will be quite the shock as she has had very dark hair for so long.

spidermom
November 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
If it were me, I'd stop dyeing and grow it out. She might want to go to her stylist for help with this one; there are options.

sherigayle
November 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
She can get the color stripped out so that it is lighter. Or maybe switch to a semi-permanent color that will wash out and lighten over time.

I've been growing out my grey for a while and have about 6" of white mixed with my natural brown. I used the honey lightening method I found on LHC to lighten my length and it pulled some of the dye out of my white hairs so they show up. I've dyed mine purple but it's a semi-perm so still the same concept.

If your mother plans to keep her length at her chin, then it shouldn't take long for her color to grow out.

rags
November 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I went the hard route and just quit dying. After a while the dye fades to where it's not quite so jarring a contrast (I dyed dark brown and have a lot of silvers!)
Some people with silver hair don't do well with semi-permanent as it can become rather permanent. But lots of people get highlights/lowlights on the new growth and blend it in gradually. I agree with Spidermom - I'd consult a stylist. There are options.

Addy
November 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I too am growing dye out and although I have two toned hair with lots of grays, it's not that bad and I do get sick of looking at the dyed length but I refuse to cut it off!

She keeps hers pretty short though and I'd imagine she keeps it trimmed up to keep her cut crisp. She could darn near have all virgin hair in a year or so! If you would, please send my best wishes and tell her to go cold turkey! It's the only way to go and it'll be done and over with before she knows it! :D

Smitts
November 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I think natural gray or white hairs are some of the most beautiful colors for a hair to have.

I say grow it out.

If she keeps trimming it, eventually all of the dyed parts will eventually be trimmed off as her hair grows and as she trims the edges.

lilish
November 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I will pass it all along. I didn't realize there were so many options. We were scared that it was either cut it all off or have a line of stark contrast. I'm sure this will make her feel much better, she was just about crying the other day. At least I know I will never dye mine after all this! It sure is emotional.

Fairlight63
November 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Your Mom sounds like me. I had dyed my hair ever since I was 30 or so (I am now 64) I was dying it a Med. Ash Blonde up until deciding to grow it long. I decided that the last dye that I would do would be a light blonde so that it would blend in more with the grey as it grew out.
What your Mom could do is go to a salon just one more time for a coloring & ask about a color that would blend in as it grows out - maybe get it frosted then as it grows out it won't have a dark line between the dark color & the grey & won't be such a shock.

wintersun99
November 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Toadstool
November 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.goinggraylookinggreat.com/

Instead of crying, this site will make you feel GOOD about the whole process!
Good Luck!