PDA

View Full Version : Could using cones occasionally work?

curlofsmoke
November 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I've wanted my dark brown hair a bit darker for ages but have rejected semi-permanents, indigo etc. as too damaging or expensive or time-consuming or...
I was thinking of using Aveda Black Malva Conditioner (left on for maybe 30min) once every 3 weeks or so to give a colour boost, then in between washing my hair about 2x per week and using my normal conditioner. Thing is, the Black Malva conditioner contains cones. I've been cone-free for years now and have been using a sulfate-free shampoo for over a year (it's sooo much better for my hair).
I stopped using cones so long ago that I don't remember what the transition was like or even whether my hair looked different then, but I am thinking for my tailbone-length, fine, inclined to be flat on top hair, it would be bad news. Also I've read about transitioning away from cones and how it takes a while for your hair to look better, so I am wondering would using cones every few weeks keep my hair in a near-constant state of icky transition?
I realise I may just have to try it and see but as a bottle is expensive, I'd appreciate any opinions beforehand.

ravenreed
November 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I think it depends on your hair. I have not noticed huge differences since going cone free. I think my transition period was more from going from shampooing to CO. I only stopped because I CO only, gave up SLS shampoos and was concerned about buildup. I am not sure if cones can be washed out without SLS, but I believe that some can.

I would give it a try. If you notice build up that your shampoo can't get out, maybe try a dilluted SLS shampoo? However, I am pretty bold about what I do to my hair.

Fractalsofhair
November 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
If you want your hair to be darker, try a coffee rinse! Or, get some manic panic in black and dilute it in conditioner and use that(or one of their browns.).

teela1978
November 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I alternate between cones and no-cones quite regularly. I really don't notice a lot of difference in my hair between the two... although if I use only coney conditioners for a while I end up with rather limp hair.

spidermom
November 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have to keep my cone use down but haven't yet found the ideal frequency. I do know that every wash (twice per week) is too much and no cones at all gives me grabby hair that's a pain to comb out.

Zombiekins
November 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I like to use silicones occasionally to help keep my post-henna hair smooth between rinsing and the week later wash. Sometimes for some fancy occasion I'll put some kind of siliconey product on my hair for a little refinement. The first day of 'cone use is usually fine for me, my hair is slippery, shiney, smooth, and ridiculously soft and won't even stay in an updo. But the second day is all dryness and tangles and it takes a few washes to get all the silicones out and back to "normal" hair.

That's how my silicone use works and it took some time and experiementing to find that. Which is pretty much what you'll have to do. Try out some 'coney product or conditioner and monitor how your hair feels in the days afterward and what exactly it takes for you to get them back off again. If you find a happy place then go nuts. :)

Oh, I'm interested in your Black Malva conditioner experiment. I'd love to darken my hair a bit (neither coffee rinses or indigo work for me) and have heard good things about the conditioner. But no one has posted pics on here of before and after? So I'd like to see if it's worth the money. :)

Topaz
November 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
When I use a coney shampoo and/or conditioner, my hair looks terrific for about one day. Then it starts frazzling out and looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Every. Time. I. Use. Cones. I used to alternate between cones and cone-free, but once I finally caught onto the cause of the frazzles I stopped using cones entirely, and my hair has stayed consistently nice since then.

Everyone's hair is different. I think the only thing you can do to find out for sure is to try it and see what happens. If it works out for you, terrific! If it doesn't, then clarify and return to no cones. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Cinnamon Hair
November 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think it would be ok. I alternate between cones and no cones quite often and it doesn't cause any trouble.

Some cones are water soluble which makes them easier to get out, since you don't have to shampoo. You might want to look up the ingredient list on your product and see what kinds of cones you are dealing with.

Amara
November 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I used a shampoo that had cones as a diluted wash a few times a month, but otherwise I was cone-free. I never noticed a difference, including when I went into that routine and when I switched shampoos to a cone-free one.

curlofsmoke
November 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone :)
The Black Malva contains a couple of water soluble cones and Cyclomethicone which isn't water soluble unfortunately. It also contains some things like 'Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate' which I hope wouldn't make my hair dry and tangly like SLS does.
I think I'm going to give it a try - I'll try to post before and after pics Zombiekins!

ladycatpurrs
November 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I used the Black Malva shampoo and conditioner once, with high hopes. My hands were left stained and my hair was dry afterward. I read somewhere that it actually contains chemical coloring agents and that the black malva was not responsible for any color deposit on the hair. I don't remember where I read that, I am sorry but it might be a good cause to maybe research it a bit more before using it.

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I alternate between cones and no-cones quite regularly. I really don't notice a lot of difference in my hair between the two... although if I use only coney conditioners for a while I end up with rather limp hair.

same here. I use both... sometimes use cone free and follow up with cone the same shower. Other times go cone free for a few days and then use a coney product. I never noticed much of a difference.

I too want to help my hair become darker :) I have molasses, rosemary, and coffee. I just need to get making more treatments! Please let me know if you get good results from the conditioner you're considering.

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Or, get some manic panic in black and dilute it in conditioner and use that(or one of their browns.).

What is manic panic?