PDA

View Full Version : How to strand test Henna (help a new henna head out?)

Jemoiselle
November 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hello friends!

I just received my first batch of henna! I got Jamila 2009 crop, 300g aka 3 pkgs. My hair is baby fine and slightly past TB on me, about 38.5 inches or so. How do I make a strand test batch? ETA I have a sizeable hair ball for the test LOL I have been saving while waiting for it's arrival.

Should I mix up a whole batch of henna to dye release, and then freeze the rest for my actual application after the test? Or should I measure a couple teaspoons of powder, mix with water (that is what I am using, no lemon juice for me) and use that as my strand test mix? I figure if I do the latter of the two, I will have to allow the new mixed batch to dye release all over again, won't I?

I guess I am so excited, I want to make sure I don't end up having to wait any unnecessary time! My Husband is going to be my application helper, and he only has nights off of work. If I work this right, I could end up applying tomorrow night, no?

Thank you everyone, I cannot wait to hear your replies! You're all wonderful ;)

Katurday
November 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
To be safe, I decided to do the latter method. First, I lined up many hairs from my hairball root to tip. Then I looped them (essentially doubling up the thickness of the test strand). I made several this way. Then I mixed a small amount of powder with water, waited for dye release, and dyed my test strands while keeping them in a plastic baggy in my pocket (the effect of body heat and all). After rinsing, I waited a few days to see the oxidization process.

I know its a bother and takes a while, but henna is permanent, and you want to make sure you're getting results at least close to what you want. =)

Jemoiselle
November 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I just love your name! It's soo cute. Thank you for your reply! I hadn't thought about the oxidation part. I don't know if I can contain myself to wait days, as it won't get any brighter and that is what I am most concerned with. I have natural red tones in my chestnut colored hair, and am hoping to get that fire in my shine, while obtaining a red head-esque look overall. So many people in my family are flaming red heads! I got the freckly pale skin, and the light eyes but no flames. World watch out! I am getting in touch with my inner Irish flames! Woo hoo!

RocketDog
November 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
If you want to do a pretty daring 'swatch' why not mix up enough to do a 2" chunk of hair somewhere on the back of your head and see how the color turns out? That's what I did before taking the plunge with a full head application...

Jemoiselle
November 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you Rocket Dog! I actually just now made a test swatch with the hairball I mentioned. I took about 10 minutes and arranged a number of them into a small strand, and tied them together. It is a small thin strand, but thick enough for me to be able to see the color very well. I mixed up a small batch, and made two tests. One is the hairball, and the other is the neatly tied strand. Best of both worlds! Thank you both for your input ;) I also have a small dot on my arm right now to allergy test. I am so excited! Your color in the avatar pic is gorgeous by the way RD! That is the color I am hoping for, or something similar. I just need to look "warmed up" so to speak. I am one huge Picasso of pale!

RocketDog
November 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
That is one application of Jamila 2009, mixed with chamomile-lemon tea as the liquid. I also added paprika, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon to my mix. I left it on for about 2.5 hours the first time and got that color. Second application I left on for 4.5 hours and got a much deeper stain. If you want to see more photos, I have some posted on my profile.

shadowclaw
November 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Don't forget to carry your test strand in your pocket. There will be body heat when you henna your head, so your test strang will need body heat as well to be accurate.

Jemoiselle
November 3rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Alright! Test strand is done, I am proceeding! I mixed the Henna with warm water, and immediately applied it to my test strands #1 & #2. Both turned out the same IMO, since I only let them sit for three hours, keeping in mind I did not wait for dye release. I did this to see how bright the lightest application would be, and judge from there. I didn't wear the test strands, as I had to go to dance class. Instead I pre-heated the oven to 200 then let it cool to my approximate body temp, then put them in wrapped in plastic and a towel. I love the results! I will post the hairball pic very soon... stay tuned!

Jemoiselle
November 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SvEAgNj_7II/AAAAAAAAA70/A3I7iefuejY/s640/DSC03162.JPG

Here is my hairball layered on top of part of my length, for comparison. Hmmm! Now, the Henna pudding I have sitting right now is pretty lumpy, and I can't seem to get all the lumps out. Is that normal?

RocketDog
November 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
My mix was pretty lumpy when I froze it, but when I thawed it out before applying it all the clumps were gone and it was smooth and creamy like thick yogurt.

Jemoiselle
November 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Alright, the application is over, I just rinsed it out. Holy cow! 95% of it is still wet, but the baby hairs around my face are orange LOL. I know it will tone down as it oxidizes, it is just rater shocking. You would have thought I had blonde hair around my face, which I didn't. My hair is dark brown/medium brown in places. Amazing. I cannot wait to see what it looks like dried. I will post pics tomorrow!

Jemoiselle
November 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Here is my finished result... *drum rolls*http://lh3.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SvHETEdpefI/AAAAAAAAA9c/-35LUy5Vvco/s640/DSC03205.JPG

Yeah, my pale skin went NEON here sorry, but I was too lazy to try to balance it all for fear of changing the actual photo of the henna color outside.

LovelyGoddess
December 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wow, it looks absolutely beautiful! I have my test strands marinating right now. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours has! Just lovely.