PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on what to do with my hair?

Sylvanas
November 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I've just uploaded an album called "Hair History", and looking through these old pictures really made me want to do something with my hair. If anyone can be bothered to look, I'd love to hear what you think would suit me. No suggestion is too boring or too wild, and I'm not easily offended so feel free to laugh at my colour disasters :p

My current colour washes me out, so something needs to be done. If there's one thing I don't like it's boring hair on my head. I've been thinking about dying it vampire red like this: http://www.manicpanic.com/images2/bestofbest/vampred2.jpg I'm also contemplating a fringe, but it's so annoying to grow it back out. Please help :shrug:

Amara
November 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
I agree that your current color looks a little flat and doesn't flatter your skin tone very much. Your face is lovely, and I don't prefer the fringe on you. I would go with a slightly deeper red, if you go red, than the manic panic color you choose. The blue looked amazing.

Sylvanas
November 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Thank you for your input, Amara :) A slightly deeper red is a good idea, I just gotta watch out so I don't pick a warm shade. I loved the blue colour, but as I've had that recently I'd rather try another colour now.

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I added a poll so it's easier to suggest something.

jivete
November 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't go with a heavy fringe, but a nice, side-swept bang would look nice. I wouldn't go for black, I think the color is too dark for you. The lighter auburn looked nice and the blue looked awesome, so I imagine the deep red would look nice too. I do like the blonde on you, but I think you'd be unhappy with ash blonde. You might consider adding a few colorful streaks instead of all over color to perk up your head.

Sheltie_Momma
November 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I liked the red the best, I would stick with red/brown/auburn shades, I liked that range best on you over the really light/dark. I think with your face shape that having some layers or side bangs at about chin length would look nice, adding just a bit of horizontal width to the narrower part of your chin. You are beautiful and I had fun looking over all your past looks!

Topaz
November 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I agree with what some of the others have said: side-swept bangs and a dark red (darker than the manic panic) would look great on you. Please be sure to post pictures of yourself after you make up your mind! :)

ravenreed
November 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I love the blue. Maybe a different shade of blue?

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't go with a heavy fringe, but a nice, side-swept bang would look nice. I wouldn't go for black, I think the color is too dark for you. The lighter auburn looked nice and the blue looked awesome, so I imagine the deep red would look nice too. I do like the blonde on you, but I think you'd be unhappy with ash blonde. You might consider adding a few colorful streaks instead of all over color to perk up your head.

I liked the side-swept fringe too :) I agree with the black being very dark on me, and I can only pull that off with makeup and dyed eyebrows. Adding a few colourful streaks is a great idea. Thank you!

I liked the red the best, I would stick with red/brown/auburn shades, I liked that range best on you over the really light/dark. I think with your face shape that having some layers or side bangs at about chin length would look nice, adding just a bit of horizontal width to the narrower part of your chin. You are beautiful and I had fun looking over all your past looks!

I was happy with the auburn shade as well, but it fades so incredibly fast :( You are right about the layers. I always feel better when I have something to add a bit of interest around my chin/cheek area. Thank you very much for the compliment and your input!

I agree with what some of the others have said: side-swept bangs and a dark red (darker than the manic panic) would look great on you. Please be sure to post pictures of yourself after you make up your mind! :)

Side-swept bangs seems to be a good choice. Ideally I want something a bit darker than the manic panic pic I linked to, but I really want that bright red type of colour. I will definitely post pics when I've decided on a colour/style. :)

pilateschick7
November 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I absolutely loved looking at your hair history. You are able to carry off such a wide range of colors with your skin tone.

I really liked Auburn shade on you. It seems to pop on you.

That said, you totally rock the blue shade.:) However, you did that recently and change is fun.

Personally I don't think I would do Black or Dark Brown since you might be tied to feeling like you needed to wear make up regularly.
(Based on your comment.)

pilateschick7
November 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Could you dye your hair auburn and then Manic Panic Red on top of that?

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I love the blue. Maybe a different shade of blue?

That is always an option. I'm up for trying most crazy colours as long as they suit my skin tone :) A long time ago I coloured my hair bright yellow on one side and bright red on the other side, so I'm not scared of trying out things.

I absolutely loved looking at your hair history. You are able to carry off such a wide range of colors with your skin tone.

I really liked Auburn shade on you. It seems to pop on you.

That said, you totally rock the blue shade.:) However, you did that recently and change is fun.

Personally I don't think I would do Black or Dark Brown since you might be tied to feeling like you needed to wear make up regularly.
(Based on your comment.) Could you dye your hair auburn and then Manic Panic Red on top of that?

If the auburn shade didn't fade so fast, I'd be tempted to dye it like that again. It looks great as auburn, but within a couple of weeks it fades into a 'meh' colour that doesn't suit my skintone at all. I agree with you about the darker colours. It just takes too much effort to pull it off, and I don't really want to "have to" wear makeup everyday. About putting manic panic red on top of auburn, I have no idea what would happen :confused: I'm slightly worried I would end up with a too warm colour, but I don't know... Thank you for your suggestion :)

Sheltie_Momma
November 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Are you OK with conventional permanent color? If so, I have had very, very nice results with Feria 55. I have used it over bleached hair and over my regular brown hair - it is truly a nice bright red that doesn't fade. (Oh, this was a long time ago, all the hair in my album is my natural color..)

Yozhik
November 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Go for Manic Panic red! I love your hair album, but my favorites were definitely the brighter colors. Also, in regards to fringe/bangs, I would suggest long side swept ones rather than straight-across ones.
Happy hair coloring with whatever you end up choosing :)

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Are you OK with conventional permanent color? If so, I have had very, very nice results with Feria 55. I have used it over bleached hair and over my regular brown hair - it is truly a nice bright red that doesn't fade. (Oh, this was a long time ago, all the hair in my album is my natural color..)

I am fine with permanent haircolour, but I have found that they too can fade into an unwanted colour quite fast. Especially red hues. Feria colours are no longer sold in Norway :( This is what I used for the auburn colour http://www.superdrug.com/Non-Permanent-Colour/LOREAL-CHESTNUT-30-MID-COPPER-BROWN/invt/182881 . I've also been checking out http://www.herbatint.com.au/colour_chart.shtml . They have some pretty cool colours, both natural and more flashy ones. I don't know how well they work, though.

Go for Manic Panic red! I love your hair album, but my favorites were definitely the brighter colors. Also, in regards to fringe/bangs, I would suggest long side swept ones rather than straight-across ones.
Happy hair coloring with whatever you end up choosing :)

Thank you for your input, Yozhik :) I'm definitely a big fan of bright colours!

shadowclaw
November 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I like your color now, and I like how it's kind of two shades of blue. Maybe you could do your whoel head a darker blue, and maybe create light blue highlights/streaks? But since you seem to want to get away from the blue and go towards something warmer, a deep red would look nice,

prittykitty
November 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The dark brown hair you have in the one picture with no bangs that talks about blue streaks looks great. It really makes your blue eyes glow.

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I like your color now, and I like how it's kind of two shades of blue. Maybe you could do your whoel head a darker blue, and maybe create light blue highlights/streaks? But since you seem to want to get away from the blue and go towards something warmer, a deep red would look nice,

My hair is no longer blue, it's a washed out auburn that looks quite bad :p I like the thought of streaks, since a solid crazy colour can look a bit weird sometimes. Some streaks or sections with different colour makes it look less like a wig.

The dark brown hair you have in the one picture with no bangs that talks about blue streaks looks great. It really makes your blue eyes glow.

Thank you :) Darker colours seem to make my eyes pop, but then again, it looks weird unless I'm wearing makeup, as I have very light eyebrows and eyelashes.

Kris Dove
November 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I thought your current colour actually looked quite nice on you! You suit strawberry blonde, and maybe a few highlights and lowlights to brighten it up along with red or pink or mauve streaks through it would be a good look for you?

I totally get what you're saying about feeling the need to wear makeup with dark hair- I used to darken mine and while it looked great with a full face of gothic makeup, I looked kinda ill without it.

TyagoN
November 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Go back to that blue from before. Blue = goodness for ya.

pinchbeck
November 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Your hair in the first photo suits you the best out of all the photos I looked at. It suits your complexion and I don't think you should get a fringe because you don't need one, although you can pull off wearing one. You would just regret it! Don't do it!

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I liked the blond with fringe best, but you could also pull off a strawberry blonde too.

I think the dark hair makes you look older and drains you, but the blonde is perfect in my opinion.

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I thought your current colour actually looked quite nice on you! You suit strawberry blonde, and maybe a few highlights and lowlights to brighten it up along with red or pink or mauve streaks through it would be a good look for you?

I totally get what you're saying about feeling the need to wear makeup with dark hair- I used to darken mine and while it looked great with a full face of gothic makeup, I looked kinda ill without it.

If only it was a strawberry blonde, I could live with that. The camera might lie a bit, but it's a brassy colour that washes me out. I like the idea of highlights and lowlights :)

Go back to that blue from before. Blue = goodness for ya.

I might go back to the blue at some point, but right now I'm in the mood to try something different :p

Your hair in the first photo suits you the best out of all the photos I looked at. It suits your complexion and I don't think you should get a fringe because you don't need one, although you can pull off wearing one. You would just regret it! Don't do it!

I'm quite impulsive when it comes to my hair, And while I sometimes regret doing something, it's only hair and it will grow back out. When I cut bangs I was happy with them. I hated growing them out, but when they got long enough to look good sideswept I was thrilled with that :D I appreciate your input!

I liked the blond with fringe best, but you could also pull off a strawberry blonde too.

I think the dark hair makes you look older and drains you, but the blonde is perfect in my opinion.

I too think lighter colours work best with my skintone. My natural colour is a light ash blonde, and I wish there was a way to colour it back to that shade. The problem is that it's not one colour. It's a mix of nearly white, golden and darker blonde strands. As roots against an artificial colour it just looks mousy and boring, so it's hard to find motivation to grow it out. Hmmm, I just had a thought. Maybe a silver shampoo would help keep my hair a cooler blonde like my virgin hair?

Isilme
November 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I like the second picture at the first page. The colour really suits you. Also, the pic with the long brown hair and bleached bangs is really cool! Maybe you could have the auburn coour from the first pic I suggested and a deep red over bleached bangs like the second pic?

marikamt
November 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I am laughing because the one I chose from your album was "hair color gone terrible wrong"... :lol:

I thought you looked great as a red-head and I liked the fringe/ bangs.......

ETA: I did like you as a blonde too... very flattering on you

longhairedfairy
November 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I would like to see you with some shade of pink or green.

Sylvanas
November 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like the second picture at the first page. The colour really suits you. Also, the pic with the long brown hair and bleached bangs is really cool! Maybe you could have the auburn coour from the first pic I suggested and a deep red over bleached bangs like the second pic?

That is a good idea, Isilme :) Usually I have no trouble deciding what do with my hair, but right now there are so many different things I want to try, so it's hard to decide :D

I am laughing because the one I chose from your album was "hair color gone terrible wrong"... :lol:

I thought you looked great as a red-head and I liked the fringe/ bangs.......

ETA: I did like you as a blonde too... very flattering on you

Haha :p I've been a redhead a few times, but that is by far the worst shade of red I've ever had, in my opinion. I also like blonde when it's not that 'obviously bleached hair' look I've had a few times in the past.

I would like to see you with some shade of pink or green.

I've been thinking about green, actually. I saw a pic earlier of a shade I really liked. Sadly there was no info on which colour it was. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/1372147075_146767bb42.jpg

longhairedfairy
November 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've been thinking about green, actually. I saw a pic earlier of a shade I really liked. Sadly there was no info on which colour it was. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/1372147075_146767bb42.jpg
Oh, wow! That is a gorgeous shade!

melikai
November 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I voted "Other". I really like auburn/deep red on you- you should definitely look into henna!

Toadstool
November 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I never feel strongly about other people's hair choices... until now!
I would say PLEASE don't cut in a fringe, you look so beautiful and striking without one.
Okay that's it.
Now do as you like!

Sylvanas
November 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I voted "Other". I really like auburn/deep red on you- you should definitely look into henna!

I always find myself admiring the henna-heads of LHC, but to be honest I'm quite scared to try it. It seems so permanent. More so than permanent hair dye. What if I end up with a shade I'm not happy with? :o I've seen some not so flattering shades of henna outside of LHC.

I never feel strongly about other people's hair choices... until now!
I would say PLEASE don't cut in a fringe, you look so beautiful and striking without one.
Okay that's it.
Now do as you like!

Thank you for your advice, Toadstool. I haven't decided on fringe or no fringe yet, but if I do end up cutting one, it'll be a long side-swept fringe :)