PDA

View Full Version : Managing Hair Growth Data

Shastrix
November 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Whenever I remember I like to measure the length of my hair. Up until now I have been storing the info on my iPhone, but today I thought I'd put it into Excel. It then struck me that I could do interesting things in Excel and thus my "Hair Spreadsheet" was born. I thought I'd share, in case anyone else was interested in collating their own "hair stats": :D

There are four versions to suit the various date and unit preferences; one for those who use metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" dates, one for those who use imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" dates, one for those who use metric and "yyyy-mm-dd" dates, and one for those who use imperial and "mm/dd/yyyy". I have included some sample screenshots below (you can click to see a larger image).

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-main-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-main.jpg)

Main Page

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_graph.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_graph_large.jpg)

Graph displaying growth and goals

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-alternative-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-alternative.jpg)

Alternative Methods page

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-tlc-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-tlc.jpg)

Terminal Length Calculations page

To summarise; you first stick in your vital stats (the length you need to be to arrive at APL, BSL, Classic etc) then whenever you measure you input the date and length - you only have to edit the green shaded columns. The spreadsheet then tells you what your change from your last measurement was, what the mean rate of growth is (per day, week, month, year), how much your hair needs to grow to reach your various goals, predicts how long this will take in days, months and years, and tells you the estimated date you will reach your goal. It also estimates, plots a graph of hair growth; estimates, using two methods, your terminal length, and helps you calculate the diameter of your hair.

See the later posts by me for up-to-date information about the spreadsheet

Current Version:

Metric/Imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-uk.xls) to download Excel file.

Imperial/Metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-imperial.xls) to download Excel file.

Metric/Imperial and "yyyy-mm-dd" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-int.xls) to download Excel file.

Imperial/Metric and "mm/dd/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-usa.xls) to download Excel file.

The file is in an .xls format so should be compatible with all Excel versions. It is only a beta so if you spot any mistakes please tell me. There is no charge, and feel free to edit and improve as you see fit.

Hope some of you enjoy! :redgrin:

Last version
Metric/Imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls) to download Excel file.
Imperial/Metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls) to download Excel file.
Metric/Imperial and "yyyy-mm-dd" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls) to download Excel file.
Imperial/Metric and "mm/dd/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls) to download Excel file.

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
This looks brilliant! Thanks for sharing :D

missjessiecakes
November 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Oh this is soooooo Cool!

Heidi_234
November 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Great mind think alike (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=52129). :D But I like the goal ETA part. Thanks for sharing, I'm sure many would find it most useful!

23_seconds
November 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Vrushali
November 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Thats Awesome!!!!

Shastrix
November 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Great mind think alike (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=52129). :D But I like the goal ETA part. Thanks for sharing, I'm sure many would find it most useful!

After viewing your spreadsheet I have added a "change from last measurement" column. If anyone has downloaded the spreadsheet before this post they will need to re-download to get the new version. :)

Hiriel
November 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Too awesome. The nerd approves! :D
(Gah, I'll become obsessive with the measuring now. Imagine I came here without any specific plans to grow my hair any longer...)

Arriens
November 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I am amazed by your "Time Until Goal is Reached" formula. :bigeyes: Well done.

15 years to go for floor lenght. :(

missjessiecakes
November 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am obsessed. Very Very Obsessed. My dearest boyfriend said to tell you that he is glaring.

I Cant measure my own hair properly so he has to do it. But it is so amazing. Thank you ever so much. <3

missjessiecakes
November 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Question? Why does it tell me it will take 6 years to get to bsl?

janeytilllie
November 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Shastrix
November 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

Without looking at what you have input in I can't say for sure. The predictions are based on the mean rate of growth so should become more accurate over time. If you have cut a lot off your hair recently or in the past it will act as if this will be a regular thing and adjust the rate accordingly.

Tomorrow I'll try to add something that take in to account trimming and large cuts.

chrissy-b
November 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
WOW! Thanks so much! I just downloaded a copy. :smile:

GeoJ
November 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Cool! I was just planning to do one of these today, but you beat me to it. :)

mellie89
November 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Ahhh, it's like my Excel spreadsheet on steroids. I love it. I think I should show up to Differential Equations tomorrow with a formula to model my hair growth. :D

Samitra
November 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
It looks wonderful!

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me... it won't show the time elapsed :( And I'm an Excel noob. One of these days I'll ask DBF to help me, but until then I'll keep track of my growth the old fashioned way, by just writing the numbers down in a document... :o

ETA: I just had to put the dates in "the Swedish way" (yyyy-mm-dd), other ways weren't accepted by Excel.

RancheroTheBee
November 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM
This is a great idea. :) Thanks for sharing! I think I'm actually going to organize my own spreadsheet.

mizk5110
November 4th, 2009, 12:15 AM
This is awesome! Oh, for some new growth so I can begin measuring progress...

Samitra
November 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have a question about the "Time Until Goal is Reached". Is it estimated time from today's date or from the last date that was entered in the first column?

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
It looks wonderful!

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me... it won't show the time elapsed :( And I'm an Excel noob. One of these days I'll ask DBF to help me, but until then I'll keep track of my growth the old fashioned way, by just writing the numbers down in a document... :o

ETA: I just had to put the dates in "the Swedish way" (yyyy-mm-dd), other ways weren't accepted by Excel.

Oh yes, I forgot about the ISO 8601 International date format. :o It would probably have made more sense if I had just used that in the first place. You have to input the dates how your computer is set up and then it will then reformat to either dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy (depending on which file you have). If you'd like to change the formatting right-click (secondary click) on top of the "A" column, and select "Format Cells" then at the top of the pop-up window click on the "Number" tab. Then click "Custom" in the "Category" field. Then type in how you'd like to see the date displayed, e.g.

yyyy-mm-dd for 2009-11-04
yyyy/mm/dd for 2009/11/04
d mmmm yyyy for 4 November 2009
etc

Then click "OK". You may have to resize the column afterwards by double-clicking inbetween the tops of column "A" and "B". Hope that helps, I shall add a link to the first post to download it in International date format. :)

I have a question about the "Time Until Goal is Reached". Is it estimated time from today's date or from the last date that was entered in the first column?

That is a good spot; at the moment the estimation for "Time Until Goal is Reached" is from the date of the last measurement. When I finish work today I'll edit the code so that it gives the time from today's date instead (this will of course rely on the date on your computer being correct). Also note that it refers to an "average month" and "average year" of 30.416 days and 365.25 days respectively. The displayed "Time Until Goal is Reached" date will round down to the nearest day. Maybe in future, merely as an academic exercise, I'll try and get it to use real month lengths and take into account leap years, but as it is only an estimate it doesn't really matter over the time scale that the spreadsheet will be used. :)

Samitra
November 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Oh yes, I forgot about the ISO 8601 International date format. :o It would probably have made more sense if I had just used that in the first place. You have to input the dates how your computer is set up and then it will then reformat to either dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy (depending on which file you have). If you'd like to change the formatting right-click (secondary click) on top of the "A" column, and select "Format Cells" then at the top of the pop-up window click on the "Number" tab. Then click "Custom" in the "Category" field. Then type in how you'd like to see the date displayed, e.g.

yyyy-mm-dd for 2009-11-04
yyyy/mm/dd for 2009/11/04
d mmmm yyyy for 4 November 2009
etc

Then click "OK". You may have to resize the column afterwards by double-clicking inbetween the tops of column "A" and "B". Hope that helps, I shall add a link to the first post to download it in International date format. :)

When I grow up I want to be as Excel-skilled as you!
Thanks for explaining. It works just fine now, and I love it! :)

florenonite
November 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I'm having trouble actually inputting numbers into it - I tried inputting the distance left to waist and it deleted three columns. Help?

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'm having trouble actually inputting numbers into it - I tried inputting the distance left to waist and it deleted three columns. Help?

I hope I'm interpreting what you mean correctly; the lengths to each goal column (the right-most green column, is the distance from the hair line at your forehead over the top of your head down to each point. You replace the values already in the table with your own cumulative totals. The only other columns you edit are the green-shaded date and length columns on the left. If three columns were deleted then you probably deleted a cell containing a formula.

I'm not sure if that helps, you could always email me your copy of the table and I could take a look.

mizk5110
November 4th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Figured out why. The coding for column O is slightly off for the Imperical/Metric version.

It reads [for "chin"] =S3-MAX(C:C)
It SHOULD read [for "chin"] =R3-MAX(C:C)
and so on for the rest of the column

Took me a couple minutes of good head scratching to figure it out :)

I changed it on mine, but if you're not comfortable with excell you may want to wait for Shastrix to update it.

HTH!

florenonite
November 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I hope I'm interpreting what you mean correctly; the lengths to each goal column (the right-most green column, is the distance from the hair line at your forehead over the top of your head down to each point. You replace the values already in the table with your own cumulative totals. The only other columns you edit are the green-shaded date and length columns on the left. If three columns were deleted then you probably deleted a cell containing a formula.

I'm not sure if that helps, you could always email me your copy of the table and I could take a look.

Thanks, that worked :D I was trying to edit the wrong column ><

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Figured out why. The coding for column O is slightly off for the Imperical/Metric version.

It reads [for "chin"] =S3-MAX(C:C)
It SHOULD read [for "chin"] =R3-MAX(C:C)
and so on for the rest of the column

Took me a couple minutes of good head scratching to figure it out :)

I changed it on mine, but if you're not comfortable with excell you may want to wait for Shastrix to update it.

HTH!

Thanks for spotting that, I'll add it to my list of modifications and corrections to make when I get home. :)

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have updated the links in the OP to include the following changes:

Fixed error in column O in USA version

The Imperial/Metric version had an error that occurred when I was altering the order of the cm and inches column. It was therefore referring to the cm data rather than the inches data and thus giving the wrong estimate dates. Thanks to mixk5110 for spotting that!

Changed “Length Required” to include an estimate of growth since last measurement

The spreadsheet now gives you an estimate date in years, months, and days from today’s date rather than from the last time you input a measurement. It does this by estimating the amount of growth since the last measurement using the calculated mean daily growth rate. Thanks to Samitra for suggesting that!

Protected spreadsheet from accidental deletion of formulae

I have protected the spreadsheet (without a password) so that you can only type in the green columns, this is to prevent people from accidently deleting formulae. If you want to play around with the spreadsheet just go to Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet and uncheck.

Growth rate ignore entries with negative growth

I realised that if you have had a large trim since you started measuring the spreadsheet would act as if this was a regular thing and adjust your estimated mean rate of growth accordingly. I have changed how the spreadsheet works so that it ignores any decreases in length when calculating the mean growth rate. If you do small trims regularly the increase in length will still be positive and the trims will be rightly included in estimation of growth rate and therefore reflect correctly in the estimate for when your goals will be reached. Obviously, this isn’t a perfect solution (for instance if you do infrequent small cuts), so if you want it to ignore all cuts make sure you measure your hair both the day before and the day after you have your cut. I don't think the spreadsheet can cope with two measurements on the same day...

Hope that all makes sense. I would urge people who have downloaded the spreadsheet previously to upgrade. To upgrade, simply copy and paste your data from the old version into the new version one column at a time. I have included below a “version history” and in future will be changing the file name so that you can easily see if you are up to date. :)

Version History

Original

UK: hair_growth_data-sample.xls - 3rd November 2009
USA: hair_growth_data-sample-usa.xls - 3rd November 2009

Added "change from last measurement" column

UK: hair_growth_data-sample.xls - 3rd November 2009 22:02
USA: hair_growth_data-sample-usa.xls - 3rd November 2009 22:04
International: hair_growth_data-sample-idf.xls - 4th November 2009 07:47

Fixed error in column O in USA version
Changed “Length Required” to include an estimate of growth since last measurement
Growth rate ignore entries with negative growth

UK: hair_growth_data_1-2-0-uk.xls
USA: hair_growth_data_1-2-0-usa.xls
International: hair_growth_data_1-2-0-int.xls

Added protection to the spreadsheet to prevent accident deletion of formulae.

UK: hair_growth_data_1-2-1-uk.xls
USA: hair_growth_data_1-2-1-usa.xls
International: hair_growth_data_1-2-1-int.xls

ChrissieM
November 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for doing this, I love it! Now I have to go dig up all my old measurement posts so it can be really accurate, but the numbers that I plugged in seem to be close. Awesome! 14 months to tailbone!

Coriander
November 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think this is wonderful, and would love to download it. However I keep getting Error 404 messages saying that it's no longer available.

Great idea, Shastrix! :)

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I think this is wonderful, and would love to download it. However I keep getting Error 404 messages saying that it's no longer available.

Great idea, Shastrix! :)

My bad, I uploaded the files with "dots" rather than "hyphens" between the version numbers... :doh:

It should work now. :)

*goes to change his local copies so that it won't happen again*

bigmama8
November 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your hair growth chart! I would never have figured out how to do this in Excel and really appreciate you doing this!

THANKS!! :)

terryn
November 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Question -- I downloaded the US version, and I have tried putting in the dates a few different ways, and it keeps showing up as ######, but when I click on the cell it seems to have accepted the date value. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing something like this as well, but am not nearly as skilled as you!

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Question -- I downloaded the US version, and I have tried putting in the dates a few different ways, and it keeps showing up as ######, but when I click on the cell it seems to have accepted the date value. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing something like this as well, but am not nearly as skilled as you!

The most likely explanation is that the column isn't wide enough to display the date in full; this is probably because your computer settings (level of zoom, monitor settings, operating system, version of Excel etc) are different to mine. To resolve the issue, double-click on the line between column A and B and it will automatically resize the column to an appropriate width. Alternatively, click-and-hold between column A and B and manually drag to your desired width. There probably isn't anything wrong with how you are inputting the dates, just input them how you would normally type a date on your computer, or use the International (yyyy-mm-dd) method.

Coriander
November 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thank you Shastrix!!!!

terryn
November 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yep, that solved it! Thanks so much!

missjessiecakes
November 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Without looking at what you have input in I can't say for sure. The predictions are based on the mean rate of growth so should become more accurate over time. If you have cut a lot off your hair recently or in the past it will act as if this will be a regular thing and adjust the rate accordingly.

Tomorrow I'll try to add something that take in to account trimming and large cuts.

Ha. Oops I figured out what was wrong. It doesnt like when you add dates without adding a length measurement.

basketcase413
November 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
This is so cool....and I won't be telling DH about it! LOL. I filled in what I could from past posts, and according to the chart I should be at waist in 5 months and 13 days....if I am correct and that is from the last measurement and all my measurements are accurate....that will be mid April. Since my birthday is April 13th.....I'm getting waist length hair for my birthday!!!!!! heehee :cheese::happydance::cheer:

Shastrix
November 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
The more I think about how one should calculate mean growth rate and use that to predict when a goal will be reached the more complicated the situation becomes and the more confused and torn between various solutions I get. I have detailed four solutions below that I have thought about: :hmm:

Solution 1 - Simple Method:

Take the total increase since measuring began and divide by the time taken to get to that length.

Pros: This method is simple and for your current length gives you the actual mean rate of growth in real terms.

Cons: If you have been trimming irregularly or have had a haircut, when extrapolated forward these trims or haircuts will be assumed to happen at the same frequency as the time period that has already happened. Therefore, the predicted time taken to reach the goal might be less than in reality if the trims or haircuts don’t happen.

Solution 2 - Ignoring negative and no increase in length measurements: (current method)

For calculating the mean growth rate this method ignores periods where there have been no change or negative change in length between measurements.

Pros: When you have a haircut or trim away any growth in a defined period this will be not be considered when calculating the mean growth rate. Therefore, it should be a closer approximation to reality.

Cons: Frequent measuring and therefore small increases in length between measurements will exaggerate measuring error. Many measurements will be negative or zero and so those time periods will be ignored. The period used to calculate how long it took to reach the current length will therefore be too short and the mean growth rate will be too high. Goals will appears closer than they are.

Solution 3 - Ignoring only negative increases in length measurements:

Similar to previous method. For calculating the mean growth rate this method ignores periods where there have been negative change in length between measurements.

Pros: Large trims will still be ignored and small measuring errors that see no apparent growth will be included. The mean growth rate should therefore, theoretically, be more accurate.

Cons: Some measuring error yielding apparent negative growth will still affect calculations of mean growth rate.

Solution 4 - Manual selection of measurements to ignore:

User would manually select which measurements are likely to lead to error, for instance, they were aware that they had a haircut or that their hair was curlier when taking a particular measurement etc.

Pros: You have the best of both worlds as you can store all data in one spreadsheet; excluding the effects of major haircuts, whilst including frequent small trims.

Cons: More complicated and time consuming.

Obviously, all of these methods are just estimations; they don't take into account terminal length, seasonal changes in hair growth, increase in damage at longer length, hair growth slowing as it approaching terminal length etc. The challenge is finding a method that can get as close to accurately estimating as is practical (without resorting to differential equations shudder:). As it stands, my opinion is that “Ignoring only negative increases in length measurements” (solution 3) is the best compromise of the above methods. The problem with the two "removing measurements automatically" methods (solutions 2 and 3) is that people who measure too frequently will get poor results. Is the faff of manually selecting which measurements to ignore (solution 4) worth it? There is no reason why several methods can’t be put into one spreadsheet to give various estimates.

Please let me know your opinions. I'll work whatever is popular into the next version. :)

terryn
November 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I prefer solution three, it kinda seems like a spreadsheet should make things simpler, not more complicated (solution 4). There is only so much you can do in a standardized spreadsheet to account for a multitude of different measuring styles, and user error. I think this is something users will be aware of, as well as the fact that it is merely an estimate, not a rule.

I guess what I am getting at is I prefer method three, and there is no reason to drive yourself crazy trying to cover all bases, lol.

Samitra
November 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I think I prefer method 2 or 3. 3 would fit me the best though, since I have small stalls every now and then, and 3 would be the most accurate for me... :D And measuring errors, well, they happen. Even if they affect the mean growth rate, it has to be one HUGE error, or a lot of small errors to affect it much, right?

But hey, even if the mean growth rate is affected, it's statistics, and statistics can never give the whole truth. I think method 3 would get us close enough, without too much fuss :)

Samitra
November 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Seems like when you protected it, you made it impossible to change the size of columns, so the only thing that shows in the "date" column is "#####"... Doubleclicking on the line between A and B does not work, neither does trying to manually move the line.

Also, the alternative to remove the sheet's protection is unavailable/unclickable for me (I can see it, but it's "grey" and I can't use that option), so it seems like there is nothing I can do about it.

ETA: But otherwise this new version seems to be working just fine!

Oh, and I downloaded the new "metric/imperial and "yyyy-mm-dd" version, and I have Office 2007 if that is important.

(It feels like all I do is complain, sorry for that! :o I really appreciate all your work with this spreadsheet!)

Shastrix
November 5th, 2009, 02:04 AM
(It feels like all I do is complain, sorry for that! :o I really appreciate all your work with this spreadsheet!)

That's okay, you and others are being really helping in finding errors and ways to improve the spreadsheet. :)

I have removed the protected cells from the spreadsheet as I couldn't find a way to protect cells whilst allowing columns to be resized. If you would like to add it yourself you need to individually select the green-shaded columns, right-click (secondary click), click "Format Cells", click on the "Protection" tab on the far right, uncheck "Locked", and click "OK". Once you have done this for the three columns you then click Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet>OK.

I have changed the default method for calculating mean growth rate and predicting when a goal will be reached to "Solution 3", this ignores any periods where there are negative increases in length. I have also added a second sheet that calculates these values using each of Solutions 1, 2, and 3 so that you can compare.

Some tips: the more data you have the better the mean rate of growth calculation and estimates of when goals will be reached will be. However, measuring too frequently will adversely affect the results. When having a large trim measure the day before and the day after the haircut. If you have lots of data you may run out of cells containing the formulae. I think this happens somewhere after 200. You will therefore need to click on the bottom right of the cell and drag down to copy the formula.

Sorry to those who are using the spreadsheet for the inconvenience of upgrading. :undecided

Version History

Removed protection from the spreadsheet as it was preventing the resizing of columns
Changed the calculation for mean growth rate to "solution 3" (ignoring periods of negative increase in length).
Added a second page to the spreadsheet which shows calculated mean growth rates and predicted times to achieve goals using the alternative methods (solution 1 and 2).

UK: hair_growth_data_1-3-0-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-0-uk.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-3-0-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-0-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-3-0-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-0-int.xls)

Samitra
November 5th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Sorry to those who are using the spreadsheet for the inconvenience of upgrading. :undecided

I don't mind! It gives me something to do when I get stuck with my essay writing, or is bored to death by it and need a break. :D

Isa-belle
November 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Wow, that's brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing. This is simply awesome!

bigmama8
November 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I just downloaded your latest version and it is fantastic! Thank you for all your work doing this and sharing it!

This is so much easier than the old fashioned way of figuring it. I love that your version breaks the time into years, months, and days for length goals! :cheese:

julliams
November 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
This is the kind of this I do. At the moment I am doing a visual diary since I keep getting different measurements using the tape measure. I'm taking a photo form the back in the same position and wearing the same stripy top and saving the pics side by side in a word document. If I can remember to keep it up it will be a great reference as to how fast my hair grows and if there are faster or slower months/seasons. Of course it's going to take a year to see any decent progress as I've only just started but I've got plenty of time...

Juliette

redneckprincess
November 5th, 2009, 08:02 AM
it seems That I have to change everything myself, I thought if I put in my measurements it would automaticly change the growth rate and dates...am i doing something wrong...sorry I am SOOO new to this

JamieLeigh
November 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
This is an excellent idea, thanks so much for sharing!! I only really started measuring my hair last September...I wish I had data for all the years I had been growing before that.

redneckprincess
November 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM
ha ha nevermind I figured it out I was imputing backwards...I would love to imput my info from pixie BUT Im afraid the "trim" will affect my projected growth rate...so i'll go from last cut...
says I should be APL in 1 mo 3 days (aprox. progress pic date) and BSL in 3 months (aprox. 1 year from just above shoulder length) not sure i believe it...but well see. I like this thanks for sharing

after changing some information and adding an inch to APL and BSL totals it give a much more appropriate estimite...not that i didnt like the first estimite but it didnt sound accurate...now if I can just save it somehow and post in my blog or pictures.

Shastrix
November 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
ha ha nevermind I figured it out I was imputing backwards...I would love to imput my info from pixie BUT Im afraid the "trim" will affect my projected growth rate...so i'll go from last cut...
says I should be APL in 1 mo 3 days (aprox. progress pic date) and BSL in 3 months (aprox. 1 year from just above shoulder length) not sure i believe it...but well see. I like this thanks for sharing

after changing some information and adding an inch to APL and BSL totals it give a much more appropriate estimite...not that i didnt like the first estimite but it didnt sound accurate...

I've just PM'd you but then read this post. :o

If you have measurements from fairly close either side of the trim the spreadsheet will automatically ignore the length lost during the trim.

Glad that you managed to get it working. :)

...now if I can just save it somehow and post in my blog or pictures.

I have put an image in my gallery:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4114&pictureid=56263

It is only accurate for the day that it was posted, but I plan to update the image when I re-measure. To do this, I copied the table and pasted the values (Edit>Paste Special>Values) into another sheet in the workbook. I then inserted a row in the correct place for my current length and manually inputted the additional information. I did a print-screen (I use Snow Leopard so used Grab), cropped it in Paint and saved it as an image.

A simpler option would be to just do a print-screen (or use Grab), crop it in your image editing programme of choice and save that as an image. I can't see a simple way of automating this.

:D

missjessiecakes
November 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Is it wrong to love a spread sheet? Because I do. The dates are amazingly close to what I had guessed for each thing so :D I love it. I love you. You are simply an amazing person for getting this put together for us.

TammySue
November 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Y'all are so good with the spreadsheets! :D I have a Hair Journal where I keep track of trims and growth. I may try my hand at a speadsheet.

Shastrix
November 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
It occurred to me that there may be British LHCers who are of the generation that may be more comfortable using imperial units. As they might not be confident in editing the formatting of the date coloumn I have added a "UK Imperial" version of the spreadsheet. Another minor update I have made to all the versions is to drag the formulae down to row 1000, this should "future-proof" the spreadsheet for most people. As there are no major alterations to the working of the spreadsheet it isn't imperative that everyone updates to 1.3.1. :)

I am a Mac user and have both Mac:Office and iWorks. As it stands you cannot import my spreadsheet into Numbers as some of the formulae are not recognised. If there is a demand, I'll happily see if I can modify the spreadsheet for Numbers users, though I assume most people would also have a copy of Mac:Office to ease interacting with the "Windows World".

Version History

Dragged formulae down to row 1000 to allow spreadsheet to cope with more measurement data

UK Metric: hair_growth_data_1-3-1-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-1-uk.xls)
UK Imperial: hair_growth_data_1-3-1-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-1-uk-imperial.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-3-1-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-1-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-3-1-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-3-1-int.xls)

KarpatiiSiv
November 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thank you for the UK Imperial Spreedsheet. I had downloaded and managed to complete the data in the metric one but I'm definitely of the generation that still thinks in Imperial and then converts to metric so this new spreadsheet makes things easier and not so taxing on the old brain cells.:hmm: :lol: Cheers.:thumbsup:

BlackfootHair
November 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I am obsessed. Very Very Obsessed. My dearest boyfriend said to tell you that he is glaring.

I Cant measure my own hair properly so he has to do it. But it is so amazing. Thank you ever so much. <3

I used to have my dbf help with measuring it, but he got really annoyed with me once so I don't ask anymore. lol I just measure the front, and whatever length I gained in the front I add to the back measurement. I checked it once and it was spot on, so I guess it works. lol

christi.adell
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Wow! Very awesome, thank you.

Shastrix
November 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
After reading basketcase413's post about her working out when her goal was going to be reached and getting all excited that it was around her birthday I decided to add a column that automatically tells you the date when your goals will be reached.

I have formatted it in the long date format to make it easier to read, so I hope I have got these correct:

dd/mm/yyyy = day month year
yyyy-mm-dd = day month year
mm/dd/yyyy = month day, year

I was also thinking about what additional information a spreadsheet could tell you about your hair, and the obvious thing that came to mind was terminal length. I stumbled across a thread about this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3245) from April last year and used that as my inspiration. In the spreadsheet there are two methods for calculating terminal length. I don’t enough data to check how accurate they are, so would appreciate any input. I shall explain how they work:

The first method, the calculations for which I have invented, is based on estimating the numbers of hairs on your head, your daily shed, and your mean growth rate (warning - algebra to follow) :bigeyes:

First, let’s define:

G = Mean growth per day
N = Number of hairs on scalp
S = Number of hairs shed per day

p is the probability that a given hair will fall out on a given day:

p = S/N

pi is the probability that a given hair falls out on day i .

qi is the probability that a given hair falls out on or before day i.

Terminal length, T, is defined as the length of the hair that has grown for i days for the smallest value of i such that qi is greater than or equal to 0.95. i.e. the length by which an individual hair is likely to have fallen out with 95&#37; probability.

p1 = p

i.e. the probability that a hair falls out on the first day of its existence is p.

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/p21p.jpg

i.e. the probability that a hair falls out on day 2 is equal to the probability that it didn’t fall out on day 1, and then did fall out on day 2.

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/p31p1p.jpg

i.e. the probability that a hair falls out on day 3 is equal to the probability that it didn’t fall out on day 1, multiplied by the probability that it didn’t fall out on day 2, multiplied by the probability that it did fall out on day 3.

And so on.

As can be seen, p3 can be written as follows:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/p31p.jpg

And fortunately for us this generalises to:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/pi1p.jpg

The formula for calculating qi is simply:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/qisigma.jpg

It is then a matter of calculating the pi values and qi values until qi reaches 0.95. We then call this value of i, X. Which can be written:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/xmin.jpg

The terminal length can then be calculated by multiplying X, the number of days after which any given hair is 95% likely to have fallen out, by G, the growth rate:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/txg.jpg

Hair undergoes three main stages of growth, the anagen phase (active growth), catagen phase (a transition phase as growth slows whilst the club hair is formed), and telogen phase (where the follicle rests and the dead hair waits to fall out). As this is a continual process and we are concerned with mean growth rates, the stages of hair growth shouldn’t affect the calculations. The main assumptions being made here are that the estimates for shed rate and numbers of hairs on the head and for mean growth rate are accurate and that they are constants.

I doubt even the people on this board are mad enough to count all the hairs on their head (although you may be able to estimate by counting the hairs in a small area and multiplying up by the total area of your scalp) so I did some searching in the science literature. I only really found one relevant paper by Drs. Wilson, Withof & Stelwagon, they claimed that the finer the hair the more numerous the hairs and provided the following stats:

Blond(e) ~146,000 hairs
Brown ~100,000 hairs
Black ~110,000 hairs
Ginger ~86,000 hairs
Asian Black ~80,000 – 140,000 hairs
Afro ~50,000 – 110,000 hairs

If you would like to analyse any of the “behind the scenes” calculations, they are on the sheet called “Gubbins”. To save on file size a “metric week” (10 days) was used to replace the single days suggested in the above formulae (e.g. G is expressed as growth per 10 days and i is the number of 10 days since the hair started growing).

The second method is far simplier and comes with a pretty graph. It is based on measuring the circumference of a low ponytail at various points to calculate the degree of taper and thus predict terminal length. Cross-sectional area should reduce in a linear manner down the ponytail as it approaches terminal length. The circumference measurements are converted assuming a spherical cross-section. This method won’t work very well if you have layers.

To use either method simply input the required information into relevant green-highlighted area. Or ignore entirely if it doesn't interest you as these sections won't affect the calculations for mean growth rate (although obviously you have to do the growth rate section to calculate terminal length). :)

All this took far longer to calculate than I was expecting so hopefully the spreadsheet can remain in this form for a while... Although if you spot any blantant errors in either my terminal calculations or how the spreadsheet functions please notify me. :D

Version History

Added two methods for calculating terminal length
Added a "Date When Goal is Reached" column
Filled unused cells in white to make the spreadsheet a little neater

UK Metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-0-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-0-uk.xls)
UK Imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-0-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-0-uk-imperial.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-4-0-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-0-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-4-0-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-0-int.xls)

EdG
November 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Shastrix! I'm one of the authors of the terminal length thread from last year (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3245). I have been reading this thread with interest.

I also modeled hair taper as an exponential decay due to random shedding. I think this is only an approximation.

I had pretty much reached my terminal length at the time I joined LHC. Otherwise, I might have put more effort into modeling hair growth! :)
Ed

Hiriel
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hm, I think there's something odd with the first terminal length formula. If I have 100 000 hairs, and shed 100 per day (wild guesses both of them), I'd think my terminal length would be more than 0.8 cm ;)
Also, the result doesn't change when I change the input. I'm using the UK metric sheet (ETA: and I'm using OpenOffice).

Not that it matters, because the other method makes a pretty graph, and I like pretty graphs ;)

Shastrix
November 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hm, I think there's something odd with the first terminal length formula. If I have 100 000 hairs, and shed 100 per day (wild guesses both of them), I'd think my terminal length would be more than 0.8 cm ;)
Also, the result doesn't change when I change the input. I'm using the UK metric sheet (ETA: and I'm using OpenOffice).

Not that it matters, because the other method makes a pretty graph, and I like pretty graphs ;)

I have tried the metric UK spreadsheet in Open Office 3.1.1 (OOO310m19 ) and apart from being less aesthetically pleasing all the formulae appear to work correctly. :confused:

Two things that spring to mind: 1) have you input measurement data for calculating the mean growth rate of your hair? i.e Is there a sensible value in cell "K2" on the "Main" sheet? 2) have you only editing cells that are highlighted green? I'm a little at a loss as to what might be wrong here. If you'd like, email me your spreadsheet and I can have a look myself and see what the problem might be. :)

I have spotted that I forgot to update the units on the "Alternative Methods" sheet, :doh: so version 1.4.1 has that corrected.

[B]Version History

Corrected the units on the "Alternative Methods" sheet in the UK imperial and USA version

UK Metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-1-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-1-uk.xls)
UK Imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-1-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-1-uk-imperial.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-4-1-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-1-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-4-1-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-1-int.xls)

Sissy
November 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
wow, great idea! I love it!

Hiriel
November 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have tried the metric UK spreadsheet in Open Office 3.1.1 (OOO310m19 [Build:9420]) and apart from being less aesthetically pleasing all the formulae appear to work correctly. :confused:

Two things that spring to mind: 1) have you input measurement data for calculating the mean growth rate of your hair? i.e Is there a sensible value in cell "K2" on the "Main" sheet? 2) have you only editing cells that are highlighted green? I'm a little at a loss as to what might be wrong here. If you'd like, email me your spreadsheet and I can have a look myself and see what the problem might be. :)

Yep, I have 4 months of measurements, so while the rate might not be correct, it has calculated a rate (of about 2 cm pr month, so it's of the right order of magnitude at least). And I've not been messing with any cells I shouldn't, promise ;)

It's no big deal, as I said I'm perfectly happy with the second method, I just thought I'd tell you, in case there was something wrong.

Hmm, I just had a look at the Gubbins sheet, and cell O7 on it reads -92 days... I have four measurements, over 92 days total. But not minus 92 days... That must be the problem? Its value is Main B7 - Main B6, but I haven't entered anything in row 7 yet, row 6 was my last measurement. It seems to insert a zero in B7 for me...

firenze
November 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I just wanted to say thanks! This is wonderful.

Shastrix
November 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Yep, I have 4 months of measurements, so while the rate might not be correct, it has calculated a rate (of about 2 cm pr month, so it's of the right order of magnitude at least). And I've not been messing with any cells I shouldn't, promise ;)

It's no big deal, as I said I'm perfectly happy with the second method, I just thought I'd tell you, in case there was something wrong.

Hmm, I just had a look at the Gubbins sheet, and cell O7 on it reads -92 days... I have four measurements, over 92 days total. But not minus 92 days... That must be the problem? Its value is Main B7 - Main B6, but I haven't entered anything in row 7 yet, row 6 was my last measurement. It seems to insert a zero in B7 for me...

Thanks for the additional information. I have studied the cells:

In Excel:

Main!B8=IF(A8<>"",A8-$A$3,"")
Main!B9=IF(A9<>"",A9-$A$3,"")
Gubbins!O9=Main!B9-Main!B8

In OpenOffice:

$Main.B8=IF(A8<>"",A8-$A$3,"")
$Main.B9=IF(A9<>"",A9-$A$3,"")
$Gubbins.O9=$Main.B9-$Main.B8

The problem is programme related; in OpenOffice a Null value ("") is interpreted as zero and so the formula in $Gubbins.O9 is calculated. Excel treats "" as a string and displays #VALUE! as the result of the calculation, which is ignored by the SUMIF function in Main!K2:

=SUMIF(E:E,">=0")/SUMIF(E:E,">=0",Gubbins!O:O)

What worries me is that if K2 is wrong, then surely everything will be wrong, as this is the mean growth rate figure. However, despite me getting a negative value for $Gubbins.O9 in OpenOffice everything does seem to work. In other words, I don't know. I didn't design the spreadsheet with OpenOffice in mind, but if the rest is working for you then I'll leave it there for now. :)

Hiriel
November 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I didn't design the spreadsheet with OpenOffice in mind, but if the rest is working for you then I'll leave it there for now. :)

Of course. Everything else works, and you're a hero ;)

gmdiaz
November 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks so much! This is wonderful.

Shastrix
November 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I realise that with each iteration of the spreadsheet the added features are becoming more esoteric and niche, this new update is no exception. I was thinking about the first method for calculating terminal length, using the shed rate, mean rate of growth and number of hairs on the head. It bothered me that the first two variables, shed rate and mean growth rate, are easy to calculate, but the value for hairs on the head (short of counting them) would be a wild estimate at best.

You may be aware of Young’s double-slit experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment) for demonstrating the wave-particle duality of light. When the diameter of an object is within one order of magnitude of the wavelength of the laser light shone upon it, the diffraction pattern created can be used to calculate the diameter of the object. Laser pens are approaching ubiquity so I thought it would be neat to use this method, along with the circle packing theorem, to estimate the number of hairs on your head.

The formula for calculating the diameter of a hair using a laser is:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/dldw.jpg

Where:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/d.jpg = diameter of the hair
http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/lambda.jpg = wavelength of the laser
http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/bigd.jpg= distance from the laser to the wall
http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/w.jpg= width of the maxima

What you need to do is:
Find out what the wavelength of your laser is (for red lasers usually between 630-680 nm)
Stick a single hair over the end of your laser pen and aim it at the wall (it may be convenient to dim the lights and also stick a sheet of white paper on the wall so you can see the pattern more clearly and mark on the relevant points).
Measure the distance from the laser pen to the wall and input it into the spreadsheet.
Record the distance between the the centre spot and the start (Ys) and end (Ye) of each maxima (1, 2, 3 and 4) and input into spreadsheet (see image below). The diameter of your hair is then calculated.
Input the circumference of your ponytail into the spreadsheet. The number of hairs on the head is then calculated.
Transfer the value for the number of hairs on the head into the appropriate green cell so that terminal length can be calculated.
http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair-pattern.jpg

There are various (http://www.csiro.au/scope/activities/e34c02activity.htm) webpages (http://www.biophotonicsworld.org/uploads/48) explaining how to do this, if the above wasn't clear. I haven't converted this part of the spreadsheet into imperial units as it would be complicated and anyways, science is done in metric. :P

We can calculate how many hairs are in a ponytail using the circle packing theorem (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CirclePacking.html), this tells us that a hexagonal packing configuration is the optimal way of arranging circles into a larger space:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hexagonalpacking.jpg

The proportion of the total area that is covered by circles is:

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/nh16pirt3.jpg

i.e. the circles cover about 90% of the total area. By measuring the circumference of a ponytail and from that calculating its cross-sectional area, we can estimate the cross-sectional area of all the hairs by dividing by http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/nh.jpg. This can then be divided by the cross-sectional area of an individual hair, calculated by using the diameter of an individual hair measured using the laser method above, to give the total number of hairs on the head.

Various assumptions are made:
All hairs are identical in diameter
Hair has a circular cross-section (this is not necessarily true as both straight and curly hair can be elliptical in cross-section, Bernard 2003)
Ponytails have a circular cross-section
All hairs produced from follicles on the scalp are in the ponytail
Hair in the pony tail is packed as densely as possible,
Hair is non-compressible
The ratio of cross-sectional area between the ponytail and an individual hair is significantly large enough that http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/nh.jpg provides a valid approximation vis-à-vis the circular area being filled, rather than the infinite plain to which the theorem refers.I have included some sample data to demonstrate how it all works. Hair thickness depends on the colour of the hair, the time of the year, your age, and the point at which you measure the hair. The diameter of a human hair (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/BrianLey.shtml) is between 17-181 um, with blond(e) hairs being the thinest, usually being between 17-50 um, and black hair being the thickest, between 56-181 um.

References:

B. A. Bernard, (2003) “Hair Shape of Curly Hair” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 48(6)1 S120-S126

Version History

Added a way for calculating the diameter of a hair and using that figure to estimate the number of hairs on your head.

UK Metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-2-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-2-uk.xls)
UK Imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-2-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-2-uk-imperial.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-4-2-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-2-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-4-2-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-2-int.xls)

Shastrix
December 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
I was just adding in another hair measurement to my spreadsheet when I became irritated by all the complicated stuff on the right-hand side about terminal length calculations and lasers and thought that it was detracting from the main purpose of the spreadsheet.

I have therefore moved the terminal length calculation stuff to another sheet within the workbook and generally neatened up the layout to make it easier to navigate and understand. Hopefully my previous posts with all the formulae haven't put too many people off having a go. :(

I have updated the first post in this topic accordingly and there are some screenshots if you want to see if it worth upgrading. :)

Version History

Moved the confusing terminal length calculation stuff to a different sheet
Made the spreadsheet prettier and (hopefully) easier to use

dd/mm/yyyy metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-3-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-3-uk.xls)
yyyy-mm-dd metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-3-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-3-int.xls)
dd/mm/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-3-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-3-uk-imperial.xls)
mm/dd/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-3-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-3-usa.xls)

KarpatiiSiv
December 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thank you for taking the time to update the spreadsheet.:) I've downloaded and transferred my data to the new one. I agree that it is better having the other calculations on a different sheet.:thumbsup:

Shastrix
December 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Oops, I am so useless at proof-reading. Just made a few more very minor corrections. Namely:
Made the "GREEN" text actually green rather than brown :doh:
Corrected the USA version to say "USA version" and not UK imperial
Corrected the International date format to yyyy-mm-dd rather than mm-dd-yyyy (no idea how that happened) :confused:
Did a few other bits of minor re-wording to make it read more clearly
Thank you for taking the time to update the spreadsheet.:) I've downloaded and transferred my data to the new one. I agree that it is better having the other calculations on a different sheet.:thumbsup:

I'm glad you appreciate it. The latest corrections won't warrant you updating again, as they really are so minor (they would gnaw away at me though if I didn't fix them) :o

Version History

Made the "GREEN" text in introduction actually green
Corrected introductory text in USA version
Corrected the date format in International version
Minor re-wording to clarify

dd/mm/yyyy metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls)
yyyy-mm-dd metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls)
dd/mm/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls)
mm/dd/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls)

Jannike
December 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have a problem with the terminal length calculator. I've measured both my hair and my boyfriends hair and we both end up with our terminal lengths at our current hair length. So it just seems that the calculator is measuring where the diameter is zero which of course is where our hair ends.

It could of course be that we're both at our terminal length right now (72 cm for me and 53 cm for him). I haven't cut my hair in two years and neither has he, I don't know if this would give us the linear taper or not. I do hope I haven't messed with it but I really don't think I have.

Anywhere
December 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I have two of these, one for my longest layer and one for the shortest layer. 4 months until it hits BSL... :/

I have a problem with the terminal length calculator as well, but I blame it on my layers. It says my term length was an inch shorter than my current length.

burns_erin
December 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Much fancier than the one I was using, so thanks!

Shastrix
December 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
In response to the comments by Jannike and Anywhere, the terminal length calculation, especially the one based on ponytail circumferences, are only estimates at best.

Having even the slightest hint of layers in your hair will invalidate the ponytail method. The method will work best if you have had a lot of hair, for a long time, with a blunt hem, and no layers. To get the best results you can try only doing measurements nearer the top of your ponytail, as towards the bottom there will be the issue of hair from the front of your head not reaching as far as that from the back, which will skew results regardless of layers.

I feel that the second method, done in full (using correct hair diameter to calculate hairs on the head), would be better. However, I don’t have much hair length data myself, so if there are people out there who meet the criteria I mentioned above, or who are at terminal length, it would be helpful if they played with the spreadsheet or shared their info with me as it would help me gauge how well things are working and possibly allow me to improve upon the spreadsheet. :)

Anywhere
December 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I updated to the USA 1.4.4 version, (from 1.4.2 i think?)

It looks like there's supposed to be more text in the terminal length sheet but it might just be my imagination.

ETA: turns out the box around it was preventing me from entering anything in there, and I just made the text box bigger, and it answered my pervious question / statement thing about layers. :oops:

but I spent a good 10 minutes going. "how do I get stuff in the data table, when i click on it it just goes to a huge white box." before I finally realized I needed to delete it.

Oh, my Excel illiteracy. :knuckle:

Dachsdragon
January 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
This is just what I needed! Thank you :blossom:

Tangles
January 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
This is fantastic, but I'm afraid I'm far too lazy, as well as Excel-challenged to make much use of this sort of tool. As a wavy, I also am skeptical about the virtues of measurement. I hope it works great for you :)

katha
January 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
This looks very interesting, thank you for your work! I'll definetely look at this more closely soon!

truwave
January 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
This is hard core Shastrix. I love excel. Thanks for sharing it, Its a great setup.

katha
January 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Looked at it. Love it! Thank you so much for the work you put in it! :)

btw my excel doesn't work properly (my fault, not the file's) so I uploaded it to google docs. It looks different but it works.

Ruvie
January 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
i love it! ive been slowly putting data in a spreadsheet also, but mines not as intricate as yours <3

MandyBeth
January 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Thank you!!! This, I needed badly. It may be nearly 5 years before I get to TB, but it's only 11 months to shoulder!

curlywurlygurly
June 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
thank-you very much very excited to give it a go :D

Rocket22
October 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
I know this is an old thread but this spreed sheet is just to cool. I thought it would be nice to bring it up again. I just discovered this while looking through your albums today. Even though this is probably over my head ( I know nothing about Excel) I would like to learn and others might enjoy this as well. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Noreth
October 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
:thud: I love you, Shastrix! (you too, Rocket, for resurrecting this thread! ;)) *downloads immediately*

<3OnHerSleeve
October 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
wow, so beyond impressed, can't believe my eyes... Thank you SO much Shastrix, that must have taken time and effort to put together

Shastrix
October 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I had completely forgotten about this thread and my spreadsheet as I stopped measuring my hair a while back when it hit the awkward length of being too long for arms-over-the-head and too short for bring-around-the-side. It's great to know that people are still using and enjoying the spreadsheet, and prompted me to whip out the tape.

When I came to type up my measurement I couldn't help but fiddle with the spreadsheet a little more. My personal spreadsheet had a graph to show visually how my hair growth was coming along, so I have added that in to version 1.5.0 along with some other minor tweaks are listed below in the version history. :gabigrin:

I am now using Mac:Office 2011 and there was a compatibility warning about the formatting of dates in equations and me saving the spreadsheet as a .xls. As always, if you have any troubles please get in touch, I can tweak it or provide .xlsx files if necessary.

Enjoy! :grnbiggri

Version History

Added a hair growth graph page that plots your measurements and shows them relative to hair length goals
Moved Terminal Length section of Main sheet to Terminal Length Calculations sheet
Removed pretty text boxes and replaced with border formatting as they had the potential to block access to cells underneath
Corrected misc spelling errors and did some rewording
Prettified tabs, hair length goal categories, tabels

UK Metric: hair_growth_data_1-5-0-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-uk.xls)
UK Imperial: hair_growth_data_1-5-0-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-uk-imperial.xls)
USA: hair_growth_data_1-5-0-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-usa.xls)
International: hair_growth_data_1-5-0-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-int.xls)

Shastrix
October 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Below is my table (generated by the v1.5.0 spreadsheet) for my hair goals. It shows the depressingly long way to my current goal of TB: :(

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hairgoals.jpg

Unfortunately, because I hadn't taken many measurements (the last one before today was was the 30th June 2010) my figures aren't as accurate as they could have been. Calculating back, the spreadsheet claims I should have reached my current length on the 23rd May 2011. This would probably be true had I not had a hair cut for my sister's wedding (I'm 135 days late to waist length. At 0.052 cm/day that ~5.67 cm, i.e. a hair cut).

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/20111005growth.jpg

Above is the new graph that the spreadsheet creates. You can see the goals marked out according to the legend on the left and the large gap between measurements which hides the undocumented haircut! :)

A final thing to mention - something I noticed when I pasted my data in to the spreadsheet: If your last measurement was a while ago (like mine) the spreadsheet may claim you have achieved a goal when you may have not. It calculates ahead based on the data given to it and therefore won't take into account a hair cuts. To work out when it predicted I reached waist length and the amount of time "late" I was etc, I did some simple maths using the info available in the spreadsheet; in a future update I'll probably make it so all that is easily calculatable.

isabelx
October 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
This in incredible! I downloaded it straight away, thank you so much for sharing! :D

MinderMutsig
October 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Oooh I love this! Thank you so much!

Anywhere
April 2nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Bumping this back up to say I *love* the new version. It's quite colorful. (redownloading since I lost my old file) :p

spoonshine
April 2nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for bumping this. :) I hadn't seen it before and it is awesome! Though really I should be sleeping instead of playing with hair numbers...but hair numbers!!!

skaempfer
April 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Oooooh! Hair geekery is the best geekery! :D

I'm debating, though, if this would be a good idea for me. I already sometimes disappear from here for weeks because I'm getting obsessive...

...but the chart! And the colors! And....

Ok. Chances are, I wouldn't be able to figure out how to work it anyway. On the other hand, DH is very technically inclined, so this might be a way to get him past the "I don't care if you shave your head" school of hair growing... Hmmm...

A cheeseworthy accomplishment, in any case.

:cheese:

sycamoreboutiqu
April 3rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Super cool. Finally got it set up and this should be most interesting.

Thanks for doing this for everybody !

Ocelan
April 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
I shouldn't have started filling this up, but I did anyway. I have only measured a few times so the numbers might not be accurate, but it says I would only have a bit over a month for my goal of waist length! Yay! :D

mzBANGBANG
April 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yep, just hit a new level of nerdiness and I love it. Thank you so much for doing this!

arcane
April 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Oh wow, I've been thinking of making an excel spreadsheet but this is above and beyond anything I could ever do myself. Thank you. Over the years since learning excel I have lost my excel mojo.

Lucky_Lucy
April 7th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Wow this is so great<3 It really helps me, since I'm really unorganized :D

XcaliburGirl
April 21st, 2012, 08:15 AM
I love this! I thought about trying to import it into Google Docs so I can edit it anywhere, but I'll just keep my existing hair diary spreadsheet there and then plug in the measurement values in both places. I'm always home when I measure anyway.

BrightEyes
April 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Wow, this is awesome! I love tracking my goals and progress on charts. What a great idea!

mckellyn
July 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I love this spreadsheet idea! Great way to track progress until goal length : ) Thanks for sharing!

YumiYume
July 10th, 2012, 05:50 AM
this is awesome! Found out about it this on the APL-BSL thread, downloaded it and you are skilled! what a fun way to keep track of the the long hair dream :D!

Thank you =)!

XcaliburGirl
September 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
:waving: Just bumping this thread to say that it's awesome and I still use this. (See first thread for files.) I recently imported my Excel file as a Google Drive spreadsheet, and the calculations still seem to work.

Back in November, I made a note of the estimated date to reach APL: May 25th. The day I claimed APL was May 26th, and I didn't realize it until I looked back at my notes. :shocked: Granted, it was a coincidence that I chose that day to take a picture. But still, that's pretty accurate, at least for someone with somewhat consistent growth.

rosey4exclaim
September 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I squee-ed like a fangirl when I saw this! It. Is. Awesome. My partner looked over, saw Excel, and said, "Are you homeworking?" I said, "No" with a big grin on my face. He said, "So you're doing that for fun?!" I said, "Yes!" :D

Leeloo
September 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Thank you for bumping this. This is great!

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2013, 10:22 PM
That's a great idea.

battles
June 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I hope no one minds if I bump this. I've found it very useful. :)

jacqueline101
June 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I have no way of doing it due to the lack of a computer but it's great that the person that wrote the thread has helped us calculate our growth rates. I did mine by measuring my hair measure how much I trimmed off wrote down the dates. I did this the first year I joined. I got an inch on monistat now that I'm off of it I get half inch,

Quasiquixotic
June 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Oh I'm so playing with this when I get home!

Lady Una
June 15th, 2014, 04:20 PM
This is great! Downloaded it, but can't use it yet since I don't have any accurate measurements of my hair before this week. :P Will begin using it after I have some more measurements. :)

battles
June 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I entered some of my measurements, and if my growth stays accurate it appears I could hit APL in 6 months and BSL in 11 months. :)

ExpectoPatronum
June 18th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I love this! I downloaded it and added the measurements I knew and it says I'll be at waist before Thanksgiving. I can't wait to enter more measurements (monthly ones) and see what it says. Some of the ones I had were four months apart. It's definitely interesting though to see how much my hair grows in a day/week/month/year.

ReneeG
September 16th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Easily one of the best things I've ever found on LHC!!! I love this data chart so much. If only I remembered to measure every month, I would have much more accurate calculations lol.

Whittles308
September 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Oh man, I wish this worked with my mac! I'm technically challenged but will see if I can find a way!

Katyusha
February 17th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread. I have been using it since have joined LHC. It is really good for tracking hair growth :o

EmelieAnna
February 19th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Yes, let's bump this thread! This is really amazing. I've been using my sheet now since June and it's so much fun to see the progress. I'm counting down the days to when I reach my next goal together with my spreadsheet :)

monaaa75
February 20th, 2015, 10:24 AM
wow that is very impressing ;) some take this very seriously. i guess I should too, bcz for the last 10 years I havent achieved my goal. but im on it now, thank you ;)

Belle Paix
February 20th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Holy Crap. I've been tracking all of my info on a (much lesser) excel spreadsheet. This is beyond cool. Thank you for making this, truly. Very, very helpful!!

EternalSnow
February 20th, 2015, 03:13 PM
This is amazing!
The excel spreadsheet I created for tracking my data is very basic. This one has so many nice features.
Thank you so much for sharing, it will be really helpful.

HaMalka
February 25th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Than you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I love this spreadsheet. I have been trying to make one for ages and this is better than anything I have come up with myself. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

hayheadsbird
September 3rd, 2016, 06:09 PM
Whoop! Thank you from me too! Just got it uploaded into my one drive as numbers wasn't compatible, and I'm so excited I might hit BSL for my birthday!

hayheadsbird
September 9th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I have some questions. Not about the spreadsheet, which is amazing btw, but about the numbers it's giving me.
Based on my monthly measurement from May to today, I'm getting a yearly average of 9 inches growth. Up till now I was expecting to hit bsl around Christmas, and waist next summer. If my growth maintains then that puts me to tbl in summer.
Is anyone else suprised by the apparent growth rate?
Could I just be measuring way wrong to get these numbers?
Is an average of 9 inches a year a crazy number?

lapushka
September 9th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I have some questions. Not about the spreadsheet, which is amazing btw, but about the numbers it's giving me.
Based on my monthly measurement from May to today, I'm getting a yearly average of 9 inches growth. Up till now I was expecting to hit bsl around Christmas, and waist next summer. If my growth maintains then that puts me to tbl in summer.

The average might still decrease as you may have "slower" months. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer ;) but I think 6 inches is far more realistic, but you know... you never know, some people just have faster growth than others, and some slower - like 4 inches a year.

hayheadsbird
September 9th, 2016, 04:49 PM
The average might still decrease as you may have "slower" months. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer ;) but I think 6 inches is far more realistic, but you know... you never know, some people just have faster growth than others, and some slower - like 4 inches a year.
That's exactly my point - 9 inches a year is massive, and if my hair was growing that fast I'm sure it would be way longer than it is!
My last big cut was late 2014, and over all it's grown about 11 inches since then, think these numbers must be a combination result of summer growth spurt, hormone changes, dodgy measuring and small time frame 😝

ephemeri
September 9th, 2016, 06:04 PM

This is happening to me in my spreadsheet. I only have 3 measurement entries so far and it's saying I'm getting 19 inches of growth per year. :wacko: Of course I want that to be true! But I doubt it is and I bet the predictions will become more accurate as I put more measurements in. :o

hayheadsbird
September 10th, 2016, 01:33 AM
This is happening to me in my spreadsheet. I only have 3 measurement entries so far and it's saying I'm getting 19 inches of growth per year. :wacko: Of course I want that to be true! But I doubt it is and I bet the predictions will become more accurate as I put more measurements in. :o

19 inches! That makes my 9 sound perfectly reasonable 😜
Thank you though, I feel better knowing others are having similar results so more time should give more accuracy.

meteor
September 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
^ I find I get a more reliable estimate if I measure length for quite some time and at relatively frequent intervals (say, every couple months or so). Basically, if I enter more data points, then all the unusual growth spurts, errors of measurement with tape, etc... are outweighed by the average growth rate. That said, I got very realistic growth rate results from that table and I reached the milestones almost at the exact dates that they were predicted using the spreadsheet. However, measuring very precisely can be a bit difficult if you have textured hair (wave/curl pattern can interfere, even if you stretch your hair)... And it really helps to carefully re-measure and input new data after every trim, because sometimes (or rather - oftentimes) we get a lot more length trimmed off than we think, so the "gross" gain in length (before a trim) would actually be a lot more impressive than the "net" gain.

Lize
September 24th, 2016, 02:49 AM
This is super nice! Thank you for this. I know it was posted a long time ago but anyway. It's great. Before when I have measured every month my guesstimations of when I will reach different milestones have probably been somewhat accurate, but I love that using this you get to see the actual date you will reach different milestones. Great motivation not to trim or cut. :) I also think that my hair grows a bit faster than I have previously thought. It's just an average 6" a year, I just haven't realized earlier that that actually is like 15 cm in a year and not 10. This conversion between cm and inches has had me a tad confused earlier I guess.

Accalia
September 24th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Wooooh this is so wonderful! :love: Thank you for sharing this! :flower:

LongCurlyTress
December 20th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Oops, I am so useless at proof-reading. Just made a few more very minor corrections. Namely:
Made the "GREEN" text actually green rather than brown :doh:
Corrected the USA version to say "USA version" and not UK imperial
Corrected the International date format to yyyy-mm-dd rather than mm-dd-yyyy (no idea how that happened) :confused:
Did a few other bits of minor re-wording to make it read more clearly

I'm glad you appreciate it. The latest corrections won't warrant you updating again, as they really are so minor (they would gnaw away at me though if I didn't fix them) :o

Version History

Made the "GREEN" text in introduction actually green
Corrected introductory text in USA version
Corrected the date format in International version
Minor re-wording to clarify

dd/mm/yyyy metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls)
yyyy-mm-dd metric: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls)
dd/mm/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls)
mm/dd/yyyy imperial: hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls)

Just bumping up the links for easy reference.

Upside Down
December 20th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Wow, that's ... impressive to say the least

and to think I can't even manage to track my period :lol:

samanthaa
December 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM
This is intense :eek:

vampyyri
December 20th, 2016, 09:31 AM
This is the coolest thing ever!! & to think I wrote all of this out manually, I finally got it to open on my mac's excel!

MsPharaohMoan
December 20th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Wow, that's ... impressive to say the least

and to think I can't even manage to track my period :lol:

I can't track my period either xD this is so intense!

mizukitty
December 20th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Incredible. Thank you for all your hard work!

ipickee
December 20th, 2016, 01:08 PM
THIS IS SO COOL!! Just filled mine in, apparently I'll hit waist by April 30th :). It'll be fun to see how close it is!

Johannah
December 21st, 2016, 09:56 AM
This should be a sticky...

hayheadsbird
December 21st, 2016, 01:27 PM
This should be a sticky...
I agree!

I've been using it a couple of months now, with data from may. So far it's been pretty accurate to when I hit BSL.

hayheadsbird
December 29th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Bump for likelikepenny!

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 12th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Im trying to figure out how to work this so I can calculate my growth but i cant seem to work it :/

cgirl
January 13th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Im trying to figure out how to work this so I can calculate my growth but i cant seem to work it :/

It was a bit tricky for me too at first. I put in the date I measured on the column farthest to the left and then put the measurement from that day in the next green column to the right of it. You can only put dates that have already passed, not projecting ahead.

You should also be able to change the farthest right green column if the default values are different from where apl, bsl, etc. are on you. They are more or less correct for me, so I'm just leaving that column alone.

It's really cool once it gets going! :toast:

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 07:14 PM
How do I change my height?

ephemeri
January 21st, 2017, 07:25 PM
How do I change my height?

I don't think you can change height, per se, but you can measure the milestones on yourself and change the inches that correspond on the spreadsheet, the green columns to the right. That way the milestone measurements will be correct for you.

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 07:39 PM
I don't think you can change height, per se, but you can measure the milestones on yourself and change the inches that correspond on the spreadsheet, the green columns to the right. That way the milestone measurements will be correct for you.

I tried but as soon as I changed it, it said the milestone was completed, even though it isn't.

ephemeri
January 22nd, 2017, 02:49 AM
I tried but as soon as I changed it, it said the milestone was completed, even though it isn't.

Hmm then maybe take a look at the entries in the columns all the way to the left, the ones with the dates and measurements. Whatever is in those columns will affect the milestone columns on the right. Make sure those are accurate for you, then let us know if it still seems off. :)

likelikepenny
January 22nd, 2017, 07:51 AM
I tried but it still says it's completed a milestone that it hasn't.

Mrstran
January 22nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
Omg I love that!

You should see how I keep track of mine. What a mess it is.

ephemeri
January 22nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
I tried but it still says it's completed a milestone that it hasn't.

Are you able to take a screenshot of your spreadsheet? I might be able to help you troubleshoot it.

Kristabeth96
March 12th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Sadly all I'm getting is a 404 when I try downloading.

rouxlala
April 22nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Sadly all I'm getting is a 404 when I try downloading.

Yeah... it seems like the files are no longer available? Can someone share their spreadsheet so us newbies can get in on it?

wispe
April 22nd, 2017, 03:34 PM
Oh, try these? I found two versions on my hard drive.

USA : 1.5.0 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Hw5l_ijlDfcmpMNEY4R285eTQ)
International : 1.5.0 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Hw5l_ijlDfQUc2YWhVZDY4NUE)

rouxlala
April 25th, 2017, 08:32 PM

International : 1.5.0 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Hw5l_ijlDfQUc2YWhVZDY4NUE)

Thank you!

cm006j
July 10th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This looks so cool!

July 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Thanks! I'm excited to see how fast my hair really grows!

Renora25
July 16th, 2017, 12:28 PM
For those of you that have shrinkage, how are you determining length for your milestones? For my hair, right now it is between chin and shoulder at 15.25". Shoulder is 16" however I know there will be some shrinkage and I feel like that will affect the estimates on the spreadsheet.

Thank you for all of your help! This is a wonderful spreadsheet. :)

likelikepenny
July 16th, 2017, 01:07 PM
For those of you that have shrinkage, how are you determining length for your milestones? For my hair, right now it is between chin and shoulder at 15.25". Shoulder is 16" however I know there will be some shrinkage and I feel like that will affect the estimates on the spreadsheet.

Thank you for all of your help! This is a wonderful spreadsheet. :)

To measure my growth, I sometimes go stretched but to call milestones, I call it dry and curly.

megthehennahead
July 31st, 2017, 05:34 PM
For anyone wanting to use these but running into issues with the formulas, try using them in google sheets! I have a newer version of excel so they kept glitching, but I can use them in google just fine!

Waveurly
September 19th, 2017, 05:31 AM
Just came across this and have to say thank you very much for the hair growth spreadsheet! I want to use it from now on and it looks amazing! :)

MusicalSpoons
September 19th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Ghaaaa this is awesome! A couple of years ago when I actually had brainpower to remember to stick at projects these would have been SO me! As it is I'm staying sane by projecting milestones by a rather indeterminate 'six months' or 'a year or so' when I can't even remember which month it is currently :grin: but I just had to pop by to say how awesome these are and say a massive 'Kudos' to Shastrix for originating these :D and to any others who have helped update/refine them

NV
September 19th, 2017, 12:26 PM
wow this is super cool! Thank you for sharing! :)

Eastbound&Down
October 28th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Whenever I remember I like to measure the length of my hair. Up until now I have been storing the info on my iPhone, but today I thought I'd put it into Excel. It then struck me that I could do interesting things in Excel and thus my "Hair Spreadsheet" was born. I thought I'd share, in case anyone else was interested in collating their own "hair stats": :D

There are four versions to suit the various date and unit preferences; one for those who use metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" dates, one for those who use imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" dates, one for those who use metric and "yyyy-mm-dd" dates, and one for those who use imperial and "mm/dd/yyyy". I have included some sample screenshots below (you can click to see a larger image).

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-main-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-main.jpg)

Main Page

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_graph.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_graph_large.jpg)

Graph displaying growth and goals

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-alternative-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-alternative.jpg)

Alternative Methods page

http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-tlc-small.jpg (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/143-tlc.jpg)

Terminal Length Calculations page

To summarise; you first stick in your vital stats (the length you need to be to arrive at APL, BSL, Classic etc) then whenever you measure you input the date and length - you only have to edit the green shaded columns. The spreadsheet then tells you what your change from your last measurement was, what the mean rate of growth is (per day, week, month, year), how much your hair needs to grow to reach your various goals, predicts how long this will take in days, months and years, and tells you the estimated date you will reach your goal. It also estimates, plots a graph of hair growth; estimates, using two methods, your terminal length, and helps you calculate the diameter of your hair.

See the later posts by me for up-to-date information about the spreadsheet

Current Version:

Metric/Imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-uk.xls) to download Excel file.

Imperial/Metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-imperial.xls) to download Excel file.

Metric/Imperial and "yyyy-mm-dd" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-int.xls) to download Excel file.

Imperial/Metric and "mm/dd/yyyy" Version 1.5.0:
Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-5-0-usa.xls) to download Excel file.

The file is in an .xls format so should be compatible with all Excel versions. It is only a beta so if you spot any mistakes please tell me. There is no charge, and feel free to edit and improve as you see fit.

Hope some of you enjoy! :redgrin:

Last version
Metric/Imperial and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk.xls) to download Excel file.
Imperial/Metric and "dd/mm/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-uk-imperial.xls) to download Excel file.
Metric/Imperial and "yyyy-mm-dd" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-int.xls) to download Excel file.
Imperial/Metric and "mm/dd/yyyy" Version 1.4.4: Click here (http://www.shastrix.com/ash/TLHC/hair_growth_data_1-4-4-usa.xls) to download Excel file.

It won't let me download any of them? Am I doing something wrong?

wispe
October 28th, 2017, 09:27 PM
It won't let me download any of them? Am I doing something wrong?

Links in the first post are down. Give these a shot:

Eastbound&Down
October 28th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Thank you wispe!

wispe
October 28th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Thank you wispe!

HTH! :thumbsup:

Reyn127
May 27th, 2022, 05:44 PM
For anyone hoping to download this spreadsheet these days, I made a fully public version.

But first, a few guidelines for using it:
1. Once you open the document, first thing you want to do before making any changes/entries of your own, is either MAKE A COPY of it for yourself to use on Google sheets, or DOWNLOAD it to use in Excel. This is because the link is viewable by anyone, and edit-able by anyone, so if one person makes changes to this link, every single person that comes along later will see those changes. We want to leave this blank version so that anyone can have the blank spreadsheet ready to use for themselves! So again, please make a copy to use yourself, or download it instead of entering anything into this link.
2. I feel like it's pretty straightforward to use, but just in case, on the far right side of the main page is where you input your milestone lengths. Then, on the left side is where you enter the date, and the measurement you got that day. The spreadsheet will fill in the rest! Like it says in there, if you're not familiar/confident with using excel, just enter in the green columns and nowhere else. This one is set up to use in inches, but it also works just fine if you input your length measurements in cm, as long as it's under the cm measurement column. It won't mess anything up if you input your length in cm, but things might get messed up if you start deleting/changing the formulas that are built in.
3. HUGE SHOUTOUT to the original maker/builder of this spreadsheet, Shastrix. They haven't logged on here in a few years so I have no idea if they're lurking/have a new username/are gone forever, but this is one of the coolest things about having long hair and being a part of this community, in my opinion.

Alright, without further ado, here is the link (and just to reiterate, please leave THIS ONE FULLY BLANK, and just make a copy/download it for your own use :) ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sTgiETRm8HyI5UMXO-Ushmsrefgo27MR/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114507477056295034582&rtpof=true&sd=true

Purple Ink
September 16th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Hey, I found this sheet a while ago but the graph doesn't seem to work. Is there anything you're supposed to do to make it update?

TatsuOni
September 17th, 2023, 10:26 AM
Hey, I found this sheet a while ago but the graph doesn't seem to work. Is there anything you're supposed to do to make it update?

The original post is so old that the pictures and links are probably just broken.

Purple Ink
September 17th, 2023, 11:53 AM
I am talking about the public version that Reyn127 shared in the message right before my reply. This one is still dowloadable and most sheets work, including the first one where you input your measurements and get an estimate of how long a milestone will take, but the sheet that plots the data on a graph is either dead, or (more probably) I should just learn how to use Excel properly ha ha. I preferred to ask here first, than try a hypothetical/general answer from the internet and have to ask anyway once I broke the entire thing

constancev18
September 23rd, 2023, 04:36 PM
Thank you for pushing this thread up. The spreadsheet is great. Thank you so much Shastrix for sharing this!