PDA

View Full Version : Forget the "experts," long hair is youthful!

halo_tightens
November 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm posting this from my own personal experience on this forum only-- but seriously, long hair must make people seem youthful. (To me, anyway!)

I can't even begin to describe how many times I've been fooled on here. I see an avatar or sig pic, or a pic in a post, and make a vague assumption about that person's age, only to find that the person is actually decades older than I would ever have guessed. I'm not kidding-- there are countless members here in their 40's, 50's, and 60's who I mistakenly guessed to be in their teens or 20's! I'm not going to name names, but this just happened to me again a few minutes ago. I saw the avatar and immediately thought of someone around 20-ish, but when I checked, she turned out to actually be in her mid-fifties.

I'm NOT just referring to back-of-the-head shots, either; sometimes faces are included and they still appear far younger than their actual ages.

Is it just me? Do I have some weird mental bias that causes me to see people with long, beautiful hair as automatically being youngsters? Or does long, beautiful hair really make people genuinely look more youthful?

didrash
November 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
No you are not biased - happens to me all the time here. I would see the age in the profile and think "What? No way, she looks 20 years younger than that!"

adiapalic
November 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I agree--I have mistaken someone for much younger when they are decades older! :) I also believe the long hair does it.

However, with one exception... I saw Edie Falco with passed shoulder length hair on an episode of "30 Rock" last night and thought, "wow, she looks so much younger with her short pixie cut in 'Nurse Jackie'!" Just an observation of one person's face.

Maybe really short, stylish pixies or really long hair have youthful effects faces?

DMARTINEZ
November 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I think this is true! I dont know if I look younger,but I sure feel younger with longer
hair. :)

Deb

RancheroTheBee
November 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I agree completely. I'll look on someone's profile, then check their age and then go "40?!" I have people guess my age wrong now. :rolleyes: I can't wait to see how young people think I am when my hair is actually long.

heatherdazy
November 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I agree 100%!

The first thing I do when a client says she wants a more grownup/professional look is suggest a big chop.

Amara
November 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hm. I think it's more of an attitude, for me. A lot of people here with long hair are taking good care of themselves (and their hair), and are proud of how they look, and it shows. If someone is like that, I think it doesn't so much matter their length, I bet they'll look healthier (younger). Of course I'm sure some people's facial structures are more suited to different things, too.

rach
November 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
defiantly agree on you on that one.

23_seconds
November 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
||||||||||

MemSahib
November 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I do look younger with my hair down. But at classic length and with babyfine fragility, I don't wear it down except sometimes at home. It is very difficult to find an updo which is not aging for my nearly 60 year old face. There are tradeoffs here. A longer length means it MUST be up but having it up is aging, at least for me.

That's the breaks.

shadowclaw
November 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know if the hair length is what makes people on here appear younger, but they certainly do look younger! I have also thought several members were in their twenties, and then discovered them to be 10-30 years older!

GlassEyes
November 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Avrilon.

Look at her photos, then look at her age. I'm fairly certain it doesn't have terribly much to do with her hair, but it is rather impressive. Granted, anyone can look older with bad hair, I guess. Who knows. xD;

Wally
November 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
I also have been stunned by some of the extremely youthful looking 50-somethings on here.

EdG
November 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I associate long hair with people in their twenties. So, long hair can make one seem younger. :)
Ed

shortgoinglong
November 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
For years in my twenties, I got carded everywhere I went as under age when I had long uncut hair. One lady even said she couldn't believe I was old enough to be married and I was 25 years old! I cut my hair into a pixie and never got another comment like that again. That's why I can't wait until it grows out!

gnegirl
November 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Last year i had the soccer mom bob. I looked all of my 42 years and then some. Grew it back out and i'm not looking back.

Now to deal with this color habit i have.... I have thick hair, but its thin at the hemline from breakage, layers and chemical dye at present.

Renegrays is my new goal :)

vindo
November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Long Hair is youthful, the short Grandma does stem from a time where it was innapropiate for a woman past a certain age to be attractive since she should either be kept married or be widowed. :)

PhillyGirl1978@
November 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I certainly agree! It's the cookie-cutter, short, permed, poodle look that is aging. It's like saying "ok, I'm over a certain age...can't compete with the younger ones anymore!" I was out for Halloween this weekend, I was a Witch. I was hit on by a couple of 19-20 year olds, and every dude that hit on me thought I was about 8-9 years younger than I am. I'm 31 so this is always welcomed!! I don't know what it is, but I always thought that long hair was youthful, maybe that is why older women feel they should cut it off, cause they are not youthful anymore. I plan on fighting every step of the way. When I was younger I used to think that I'd have to cut my hair by the time I was 30. Yeah Right!!!lol

Rapunzal2Be
November 4th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I agree!! And I think long hair also makes a woman appear more beautiful.

Chrissy
November 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I think one big key is how you take care of your hair and yourself of course. You can have long hair that is just long and stringy or unkempt and it will definitely age you! I have occasionally run into a person with waist length beautiful silver hair and gone WOW!!! They not only look youthful but elegant.

noelgirl
November 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I think one big key is how you take care of your hair and yourself of course. You can have long hair that is just long and stringy or unkempt and it will definitely age you! I have occasionally run into a person with waist length beautiful silver hair and gone WOW!!! They not only look youthful but elegant.

That's what I think. Long hair that's well taken care of does look youthful because it's healthy, which signifies good health in the wearer.

Yarn Muse
November 4th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'm new here and just starting to grow out my shoulder-length hair. I've seen long hair on older women that I didn't think looked very good, because it was damaged, or messy, or something. But I have seen beautiful long hair on older women, too. The key is the condition of the hair, and how it is styled or kept. If it is a tangly mess, it won't look good on a teen or a great grandma.

I love seeing all the beautiful things that ladies here do with their hair, whether it is long and flowing, braided, in a bun or twist, with beautiful accessories. It inspires me!

Chrissy
November 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Welcome Yarn Muse!

halo_tightens
November 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, hello and welcome to you, Yarn Muse! :)

marikamt
November 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
totally agree!!!!! 2 that pop to mind as HUGE inspirations for me growing hair at "my age" (said tongue in cheek) is Carolyn and Silver and Gold... I know there are many others, but those are 2 of my "over 40" hair idols.........

Hmmm.... I think I spelled Carolyn wrong.... must go make sure I got username right

halo_tightens
November 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
See, marikamt-- you're another one!!

I just read your post and looked over to see that you are indeed 40-- and I had thought that you were younger than me! It's amazing. Hope it rubs off on me soon, lol!

marikamt
November 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
See, marikamt-- you're another one!!

I just read your post and looked over to see that you are indeed 40-- and I had thought that you were younger than me! It's amazing. Hope it rubs off on me soon, lol!

Awwww....... :D

Although it could just be my immaturity too.... :lol:

spidermom
November 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
With this much white, I can't say my long hair in any way contributes to an illusion of "youthful", but it is beautiful, which I think weighs in to make me look better for my age (but still my age).

Topaz
November 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I think it's the condition of the hair. Beautiful, moist, shiny hair always trumps dry frazzled hair any day, no matter the age of the lad or lassie who owns the hair. Silver just adds allure to an already lovely package :p

ravenreed
November 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I think it depends on the hair and what is done with it. I don't find buns youthful. I don't find french twists youthful. I do find double buns youthful, however.

I know a few ladies with long hair who look their age, even with their hair down. Some of us just look younger than our years. I have never looked my age, long hair or short. I am not keeping my hair long to look younger. I am keeping it long because it is something new and I like it.

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I do think many times that this is true. I am pretty sure I would look older than 49 with shorter hair and I get a lot of comments from people when they find out how old I am that I don't look it followed with a nice comment about my hair. I think some of it is because they don't expect a 50 year old woman to HAVE waist length hair but they all seem to really love it. At Curves where I go, they go on about it all the time and every time someone new joins they tell them about me ha ha. Sure makes me FEEL good anyway!!!

marikamt
November 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I do think many times that this is true. I am pretty sure I would look older than 49 with shorter hair and I get a lot of comments from people when they find out how old I am that I don't look it followed with a nice comment about my hair. I think some of it is because they don't expect a 50 year old woman to HAVE waist length hair but they all seem to really love it. At Curves where I go, they go on about it all the time and every time someone new joins they tell them about me ha ha. Sure makes me FEEL good anyway!!!

You absolutely do *not* look 49........... I would easily have guessed 10 yrs younger.....

Kiraela
November 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I saw a woman in the DR's office the other day with waist length hair, and guessed her to be in her late 20s, early 30s at most. Then she started talking about how her oldest grandkid was going to be graduating high-school this spring...

I think there may be something to your theory!

(She also mentioned that the reason her hair was 'so long' was that when her kids were little, they'd made her promise not to chop her hair off when she got older, and now she wouldn't dream of it anyway!)

Pixna
November 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I do hope your theory is right!! I know how disconcerting it can be to see someone from behind and think how young she must be, only to have her turn around (and that's when I do a silent gasp). I am hoping that "someone" isn't me these days. Of course, my "behind" is probably starting to look as saggy as the front of me, so there may not be any surprises in either direction. :smirk:

Oddly, when my hair was in a pixie, some people (aka "old ladies") thought I looked younger. However, when my hair is in an updo, it ages me (all the sags and jowls and lines and silvers are much more visible). Nevertheless, when my hair is down and framing my face, I think it softens my features and may indeed provide the slight effect of making me look younger (by, umm, maybe a year or two--haha!). Even if it doesn't have that magical effect, I FEEL younger with my hair longer, and perhaps that is all that really matters, right?

harpgal
November 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Well, as they say, the proof (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=6) is in the pudding....:D

angelthadiva
November 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Most people think I'm much younger than I am. Normally about 10 years younger...Which I'll take any day :D I keep pictures of my kids handy as proof that I'm a mother of a college aged kid :)

Topaz
November 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I also enjoy the wonderful reaction of people's jaws dropping when they find out my oldest son is 29, and my youngest is 24, and that I have a grandchild. Many say they wouldn't put me past having kids in high school at the most.
Boy, what a wonderful ego boost! :cheese:

Lady Danger
November 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I think it depends on what looks good on you, but I do personally think too many conventionally-minded women chop their hair off at a certain age just because it's "expected". My mother gets flak sometimes for being in her 50s and still having shoulder-length hair...meanwhile her hair is gorgeous, flatters her perfectly, and does somewhat disguise her age (she can pass for 40s easily...and when she was in her 40s, we used to be mistaken for sisters all the time!) She's always hated the "grandma hair" look, and I do, too.

Meanwhile, I turned 30 this year and had a few people ask me if I'd ever consider getting a "more age-appropriate" hairstyle - HECK NO - I have large features that look terrible with short hair.

I have a friend in her late 30s who also has very large features that need a softer hairstyle to frame her face...yet she's convinced she "has" to have her hair short...sad.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I do think long hair is softer on age...and I think if it's the right style for someone, age be darned!

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
You absolutely do *not* look 49........... I would easily have guessed 10 yrs younger.....

Thanks!!!!!!!! :flowers:

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My mother gets flak sometimes for being in her 50s and still having shoulder-length hair...meanwhile her hair is gorgeous, flatters her perfectly, and does somewhat disguise her age (she can pass for 40s easily...and when she was in her 40s, we used to be mistaken for sisters all the time!) She's always hated the "grandma hair" look, and I do, too.

Meanwhile, I turned 30 this year and had a few people ask me if I'd ever consider getting a "more age-appropriate" hairstyle - HECK NO - I have large features that look terrible with short hair.

I can't believe people actually have the nerve to say things about it!!!:rolleyes:

CaityBear
November 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I definately see that. A lot of people look younger with long hair. Even on those makeover shows when they cut long hair really short. They always look older.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I totally agree with this, maybe its because we feel more comfortable with long hair, so we look happier. Like I was so miserable with short hair and it made my facial features sharper (think of a cross between Gonzo from the muppet show and Mrs doubtfire and you got it!) I may not look younger but man I feel like a woman!

Roseate
November 4th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I agree--I have mistaken someone for much younger when they are decades older! :) I also believe the long hair does it.

However, with one exception... I saw Edie Falco with passed shoulder length hair on an episode of "30 Rock" last night and thought, "wow, she looks so much younger with her short pixie cut in 'Nurse Jackie'!" Just an observation of one person's face.

Maybe really short, stylish pixies or really long hair have youthful effects faces?

This rule is true for me. I look matronly in many mid-length hairstyles, but shorter or longer styles both work for me. (I'm 33)

My mom has non-LHC "long" hair for a woman of 63 (around APL), and she is often taken for my sister, so it seems to work for her!

ilovelonghair
November 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I think well cared for hair that is glossy and healthy makes people look younger because there are lots of people, mostly the older the person is the bigger the chance that they have dried out, dyed, blow-fried hair and that is aging for some reason.

Themyst
November 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm 42 and few would guess. But, even I think I look older when I have my hair up in a bun.

Toadstool
November 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, though perhaps a general one. I'm not just saying this because i have short hair at the moment but people always say how much younger I look when I have my hair cut short - maybe it's the gamine thing?
I like what Spidermom said.
I also do wish we lived in a society that didn't value looking young so much. If only we valued equally all the stages of our lives. Life is too short to worry about wrinkles on our necks and yet i do it with the best of them!

Aer
November 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I agree also. There are lots of people I see with long hair, that I assume are younger than they are.

Elenna
November 5th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I think that Spidermom has words of wisdom, that long silvering hair can be very pretty and that just adds to the person's overall look. That's what I think is going on. I

Of course, long lovely hair at any age helps too. It sure beats me that older women cut off the one thing that is sure to help them look better.

If you think someone looks younger than their age here, it is because everyone posts their best pictures.

hmmm
November 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I always thought that longer hair made me look more womanly, while short hair made me look childish. Maybe this 'rule' is truer for older women.
When I cut my hair off, one of the reasons was that I was really irritated with people who valued long hair as beautiful, even if it was badly taken care of and not healthy at all. I think that anything about a person that's clearly taken care of well adds to their beauty/youthfulness if you want to call it that.
Generalizations really don't work... my mom for instance has very short hair, and doesn't dye it. My aunt has long hair that she doesn't dye either... Mom looks younger than my aunt because she's much healthier, but my aunt (even though her long hair hides the amount of grey she has) has a wrinkled face that makes her look much older. It's really not anything to do with hair, it's how you take care of your body that makes a difference.

Lady Danger
November 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I can't believe people actually have the nerve to say things about it!!!:rolleyes:

Oh yes...I am consistently amazed by the thoughtless or rude things some people say!

Pixna
November 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I may not look younger but man I feel like a woman!

Hahahahahaha!!! Jojo, this cracked me up!!! :laugh:

luluj
November 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'm posting this from my own personal experience on this forum only-- but seriously, long hair must make people seem youthful. (To me, anyway!)

I can't even begin to describe how many times I've been fooled on here. I see an avatar or sig pic, or a pic in a post, and make a vague assumption about that person's age, only to find that the person is actually decades older than I would ever have guessed. I'm not kidding-- there are countless members here in their 40's, 50's, and 60's who I mistakenly guessed to be in their teens or 20's! I'm not going to name names, but this just happened to me again a few minutes ago. I saw the avatar and immediately thought of someone around 20-ish, but when I checked, she turned out to actually be in her mid-fifties.

I'm NOT just referring to back-of-the-head shots, either; sometimes faces are included and they still appear far younger than their actual ages.

Is it just me? Do I have some weird mental bias that causes me to see people with long, beautiful hair as automatically being youngsters? Or does long, beautiful hair really make people genuinely look more youthful?

YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY!! WHAT A SWEET COMMENT...........Yes, long, beautiful hair really DOES make people genuinely look more youthful!! I am currently growing out a very short pixie and have had more negative comments than you may believe......."Long hair will make you look OLD!".......:angry: It is so refreshing to hear the opposite......THANKS :flower:

luluj
November 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Well, as they say, the proof (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=6) is in the pudding....:D

I LOVE THIS!! THANKS HARPGAL!! SUCH A WONDERFUL PUDDING!:beercheer:

PhillyGirl1978@
November 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Some people do just look better with longer hair, so why cut it at a certain age? Like me, I have some strong features, which I think could be awkward and masculine, big nose, heavy brow...that kinda stuff. I think my face looks more angular with short (or straight for that matter) hair. My big curly long hair, softens my face. It works will everything else and it does make me feel very feminine.

And I won't speak for everyone cause I know this can be touchy but in my experience men prefer it. I know we don't do it for men, but for me that is just a nice little added bonus. A lot of times women will dress a certain way to try to attract men or a certain man, so for me, the fact that every man I have dated or crushed on has really had a thing for long hair was just great!! So I wonder why would I cut it? Also who is it that is telling us we must cut at a certain age? I haven't heard many guys saying that.

darkwaves
November 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM
When I was young, with long or short hair, I always looked much younger than my age. Some days, it's the same; most, it seems to be catching up on me.

As others have mentioned, updos can be aging...

However, when my hair is loose, people do seem startled if they learn the ages of my children -- even though I was about 30 when the first was born, which makes me think they're dropping at least 10 years, if not 15.

This is honestly very bizarre to me, because while I think I look reasonably healthy for my age, I know I don't look like I'm in my 30s or even early 40s. (Yes, I'm one of harpgal's pals...)

So I think the long hair must really be glamourous... (in glamour's old sense, of being a magic spell...)

JamieLeigh
November 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah it's funny - when my mom's hair was about APL, her face looked more youthful. I remember when she got it cut to her ears, it aged her immediately and I was hard-pressed to find a nice comment when she asked "How do I look?" I couldn't honestly say the cut looked good, so I just commented on the color job and she was, I think, satisfied. In more recent years, I have commented on how much younger she used to look with longer hair, but she says that she loves having shorter hair because it's easier to deal with.

Which is the funny part - because with my hair, it's almost fingertip length, and I just wash and go most days. It takes like maybe ten seconds to pull off most of the buns here on the site that include sticks or clips. She has to wake up way early in the morning to make sure she can have time to blowdry, curl and style her hair. How is it easier to deal with??? :p

But back on topic - with my own grandmother even, she looked more youthful than other people's grandmothers her age, because she had long hair. :)

Lady Danger
November 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
In more recent years, I have commented on how much younger she used to look with longer hair, but she says that she loves having shorter hair because it's easier to deal with.

Which is the funny part - because with my hair, it's almost fingertip length, and I just wash and go most days. It takes like maybe ten seconds to pull off most of the buns here on the site that include sticks or clips. She has to wake up way early in the morning to make sure she can have time to blowdry, curl and style her hair. How is it easier to deal with???

That's like one of my best friends! She chops her hair off at least once a year, and it is not flattering. I won't tell her she looks bad, but when she asks, I'll admit to her that I prefer her with length. She needs at least chin-length to soften her features. But anyway, she says she likes it short for ease of style...yet just the other day she was bemoaning her lack of time to straighten, blowdry, etc. Me, I just shower, detangle, comb, and go!

kmoc123
November 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I totally agree..my son has on old picture of me with verrry short hair and I look like my mother. I love my mother, but with long hair I feel and look younger, I think!

kmoc123
November 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
When people say that hsort hair is easier, I just laugh. What is easy about having to use irons or curlers on your hair and all those trims and cutting...long hair is so much easier!!!

luluj
November 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
[/B]
When people say that hsort hair is easier, I just laugh. What is easy about having to use irons or curlers on your hair and all those trims and cutting...long hair is so much easier!!!

I agree!! My hair is curly and short and it just never "behaves" the way it does when it is all one length. I have a "long" way to go to reach all one length, but is definitely worth the wait.

harpgal
November 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
(Yes, I'm one of harpgal's pals...)And I'm very proud to be one of your pals, darkwaves...:D