PDA

View Full Version : dry breaking ends:(

kuku
November 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
hi guys,

i know this qt has been asked alot but guys i need your help badly.....as i dont know wat xctly 2 do wid my hair....

my ends are sooo dry and breaking badly n since i starting coing(non cones) my hair strted falling and drying out more...

i used coconut oil after shampoing esp at the ends...but my hair seem to b damaged breaking n dry:(

plz suggest what i shud do...

Melisande
November 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
You should read the board rules and cut out the txt spk. And then read around a bit. There is a search function that will give you a first idea. And if you give us more information about how you are treating your hair right now, we might give you pin-pointed advice.

Sometimes there is a transition phase when you switch to no-cones and CO - and some people never get along with it and go back to cones and "regular" shampooing.

spidermom
November 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
When my ends get like that, I get them trimmed. A deep moisture treatment is also a good idea. And I agree; stop the text speak.

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
If your hair is falling out with CO, then stop. Some people just can't put conditioner near their scalps. You might be better with CWC, which involves conditioning the length, leaving that in whilst shampooing the scalp, rinsing it all out and following with conditioner on the length.

If your hair is breaking, maybe your hair doesn't like no-cones. It's also possible that you had damage before with the 'cones but couldn't see it because 'cones can mask damage. Do you heat style or dye your hair? Are you gentle when detangling? This might be what's truly causing the breakage, but the 'cones disguised it.

I'd also recommend a heavy oil treatment. Cover your hair in coconut oil an hour to overnight before a wash, then shampoo it out.

If your ends are really split and bent, though, your best bet is probably cutting them off. They can't be repaired and will just tangle with and damage more of your hair.

gnegirl
November 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'm still figuring out what my 1a fine thick mane really wants. Regular trims (every 8 weeks, my hair grows pretty fast, so this is reasonable) do quite a bit toward keeping the fuzzies out of the ends. Switching to a sulfate-free shampoo, but still using 'cone' conditioner seems to be working for now. I also stopped shampooing as often as i used too, which used to be 2 times/day because i had it in my head that i had to after I was done with intense workouts. Do you have chemical dye on your hair? I do, and that requires even more TLC to avoid color-fade and the 'fuzzies' on the ends.

Please lose the pseudo-l33t speak, we use full words around here :).

lesbia
November 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
i don't think that cut off ends could change something. if you cut, your hair are only shorter.
i think you have to take care of them. personally, for my ends are good:
- honey
- yoghurt
- natural oils (like sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and expecially ricinus oil)
also before i wash my hair i usually put oil or conditioner on my ends, in this way shampoo doesn't touch them. after wash i put jojoba oil on my ends.
you can try this way :) good luck

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
i don't think that cut off ends could change something. if you cut, your hair are only shorter.
i think you have to take care of them. personally, for my ends are good:
- honey
- yoghurt
- natural oils (like sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and expecially ricinus oil)
also before i wash my hair i usually put oil or conditioner on my ends, in this way shampoo doesn't touch them. after wash i put jojoba oil on my ends.
you can try this way :) good luck

If the ends are merely dry, perhaps they can be moisturised. However, if they are damaged in any way, they will not improve no matter how well you treat them. Hair is dead, and cannot repair itself. Hence cutting off damaged ends is the best way to go about it because it stops them from damaging more hair through tangling.

lesbia
November 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
If the ends are merely dry, perhaps they can be moisturised. However, if they are damaged in any way, they will not improve no matter how well you treat them. Hair is dead, and cannot repair itself. Hence cutting off damaged ends is the best way to go about it because it stops them from damaging more hair through tangling.

i know this is true. but my hair are so tick, i always have a few split ends. the only way to see them grow up it's to take care of them without cut them off. i noticed that they diminish even though i don't cut them off...i don't know if this is possible but it happen (i don't use cones)
maybe it's only a sensation, but my hair look healty...so no worry, i'm happy even if i don't understand :D

heatherdazy
November 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Make sure you're not using a protein heavy conditioner. That can often cause brittleness on hair that doesn't need it.

Fractalsofhair
November 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
About the spelling/grammar. It doesn't need to be perfect, but do try to do the best you can. If that is the best you can type, I would personally suggest a Speech to Text device to help you. I make mistakes all the time, and I do use abbrvs. more often than I should. If you use them, do try to use standard English ones to help board members from other parts of the world understand. u=Not standard. U.S.A=standard. Trust me, I got a lot of comments when I joined because I LOATH paragraphs! So, just view it as a ritual of joining LHC! XD

Anyways, onto hair!

Well, did you clarify before CO washing? What conditioner are you using? Vo5 might not be rich enough for some hair types. Also, cones DO give your hair slip, which if you just went cone free, could be a sin of damage/dryness that had existed but had been hidden by the cones. I would suggest only combing your hair when it has conditioner in it, in the shower, before rinsing, and very minimally brushing after. Are you heat styling?

I'd suggest doing a DEEP moisture treatment(mix honey into a coneless conditioner, microwave for 10-15 seconds if you like your current hair color, and maybe add a little bit of oil if you like. Olive oil works well. SnowMoon's Moisture treatment is often recommended as well), and leave it on for 2-4 hours, then rinsing it out without shampoo, or if you added too much oil, use conditioner to get the excess oil out(it sounds strange, but it works!)

Also, WHY are you using shampoo if you're COing? COing means NO shampoo whatsoever, in that wash, and most people who CO only use shampoo maybe once a week or once a month, similar to how a normal person would use a clarifying shampoo. I'd suggest keeping using the coconut oil.

Also, cones are not evil for everyone's hair. Try using your fave cone filled conditioner, and try COing with that. Use shampoo with it once a month or once a week, when you would normally clarify, and when your hair looks flat and greasy as opposed to shiny.

vintersaga
November 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
For my hair, I have found out that the best is to put avocado oil in the ends after wash. Nowadays I don't wash my hair more seldom but I put avocado oil in it when I feel the ends are dry. When they feel terrible, I trim (or just a minitrim every 8th week)

I have found that leave in-Conditioner doesn't work well on my hair. But naturally oils do, especially avocado. :crush: :heartbeat:
But that's my hair.

Maybe you need a heavier Conditioner?
My advice is to Do a lot of moisturizing treatments. If I were you I would try to put some leave in conditioner after washing your hair, or some vegetable oil. Avocado does wonder to me, but I suggest you try some oils to find out wich one's the best for your hair.

If your ends would still be dry, you can easily see if they're splits at your ends. In that case, trimming is the only way to get rid of them and then take care of the new fresh ends. :)

I hope you find a way to healthy moisturized ends. Please report how you're doing. :) we all here wanna help.

:flower:/vintersaga:blossom:

vintersaga
November 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
. Nowadays I don't wash my hair more seldom

I'm so sorry. I mean that I Do wash my hair seldom. Not so often. :oops:

melikai
November 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
It could also be that your hair is getting too much protein. I would try a different oil other than coconut, and check your conditioner for proteins. If there are some in there, maybe try a conditioner without and see if that helps.

Too much protein makes my hair very dry, brittle, and straw-like - and also makes it more prone to breaking.

yogachic
November 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
If the ends are so dry they are breaking off, IMO, the only thing that is going to fix that is to cut them off, and start trying oiling. That has made a huge difference in my hair after I cut, but all hair is different. Try some things and see what works best for you.