PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else notice...

mizk5110
November 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
...the new Dove commercial where they're advertising how well Dove condish can eliminate split ends? My dad and i were watching it tonight, and when it got to the part where they dip the "hair" in paint and draw on paper (to prove the difference Dove makes), my dad busted up laughing. "They're using paint brushes!" he said. "They split the ends ofthe bristles or something to make the split ends hair, but those are definitely paintbrushes!"

Soo...anyone else notice that?

templeofvenus
November 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
haha thats advertising gone MAD!

Longlocks3
November 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
I wonder how they can get away with that wording? NOTHING can eliminate split ends, maybe they temporarily seal them but eliminate is a misconceiving word.

Maddy25
November 3rd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I saw that commercial! I'll have to watch closer next time. I hate how ads say they can heal spilt ends or something when all they do is glue them together. A stylist tried to sell me a split end mender the other day and I told her that all it is doing is glueing them together and hiding the problem and she didnt know what to say haha

firenze
November 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I'll have to watch more closely next time. I think commercials like this are the reason I've struggled with my hair most of my life. I buy the ad, I buy the product, product doesn't make my hair perfect, I get frustrated. I'm definitely happier with the products/hair care tips I've found here.

Kaijah
November 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Haha, I saw that ad and paintbrushes were my first thought, too. It was pretty absurd - and pretty funny how the girl holds up her totally clean hair at the end like "Yeah, that was me. :cool:"

I'm with Longlocks3 though, how do they get away with their claim? Is there some tiny disclaimer in size 1 font in the commercial/on the bottle in a barely contrasting color?

Topaz
November 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
What a hoot! I haven't seen it yet, but I'll be looking for it. I think maybe the trick is that they don't say the product "permanently" eliminates splits; i.e., they eliminate splits for x-number of days (by glueing the splits back together), but their unspoken disclaimer is that they never say the product eliminates splits permanently. That's my guess.

spidermom
November 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
If something could glue my splits together and hide the problem, I'd love it. But no. Even my favorite coney serum leaves my splits displayed in all their glory - alas - but at least it makes my hair easier to comb out.

Shermie Girl
November 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that commercial is a total joke. No product can turn the hair on your head into a paintbrush. And no product on the face of this planet can ever "repair" hair. Companies who claim that theirs can tick me off.

Shastrix
November 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I've not seen the advert but I'm guessing this is a USA/Canada thing? In the UK we have quite strict rules on what you can claim your product can do and what evidence you must provide, and the Advertising Standard Agency (ASA) is forever smiting companies. For instance, all the mascara adverts say “filmed with lash inserts” and “edited in post production” and “81% of survey participants agreed, 26 of 32”.

hmmm
November 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
They screen that in India too. I was driving somewhere with my BF once, and he said 'Falling hair means damaged hair.' And I said 'No it doesn't, it means falling hair.' Then he pointed to a billboard with a Dove ad on it that said that. It was odd... I remember having a 'so that's what people go for' moment.

Shastrix
November 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Are we talking about this advert (http://www.dove.us/#/haircare/proof_test_videos.aspx[cp-documentid=20237899])?

"Convincing isn't it?" lol :laugh:

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Are we talking about this advert (http://www.dove.us/#/haircare/proof_test_videos.aspx%5Bcp-documentid=20237899%5D)?

"Convincing isn't it?" lol :laugh:

Thanks for the link :)

It definitely looks like a paintbrush, I don't know how they get away with it.

Hay22
November 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I've not seen the advert but I'm guessing this is a USA/Canada thing? In the UK we have quite strict rules on what you can claim your product can do and what evidence you must provide, and the Advertising Standard Agency (ASA) is forever smiting companies. For instance, all the mascara adverts say “filmed with lash inserts” and “edited in post production” and “81% of survey participants agreed, 26 of 32”.

Oh how I wish advertising would follow those standards here. Everything is airbrushed and embellished beyond belief and they expected you to take their word as gold.

Shermie Girl
November 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Advertisers get away with a lot in this country. A lot of bogus claims are made, fakery abounds. Personally, I think that airbrushing, fake lashes, paintbrushes in place of real hair and so forth should be outlawed. Show the products on real people getting real results. That would convince me more than the slick, fake "perfection" I see in all the ads.

Oh yeah and one other thing... Stop using twelve year olds to model wrinkle cream, please! At almost 45, I am not fooled by tight-skinned children meant to show how effective some overpriced, fancy-schmancy named skincare line is.

Okay... Would someone please kick the soapbox out from under me before I really get off on a rant? :lol:

Madame J
November 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
There's a little asterix in the corner at the very beginning that says "Refers to the symptoms of damaged hair." I bet this means "It glues your hair back together so you don't notice your split ends." Kind of like taking a painkiller when you've got strep throat -- it'll make it feel better temporarily, but eventually you have to get rid of the infection to BE better.

Carolyn
November 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I laughed when I saw it. Sadly I used to be one of those who fell for claims like that.

squee
November 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
I am so happy to know I am not going insane! :D
I noticed something odd there, my friend completely bought the commercial.

Themyst
November 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
The Federal Trade Commission has set down some guidelines for advertisers in the USA.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus35.shtm

But it seems to me that big business is really just able to run amok and do as they please over here anyway. These FTC rules don't seem to deter many since I see such false claims on cosmetics, etc. so often. :shrug:

GlassEyes
November 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oh, they can most certainly get away with that. They're just REPRESENTATIVE of what the product will do for the hair, not the actuality. Thus, brushes are perfectly fine, even more so if they're MADE out of hair. ;)

JaneinMarch
November 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
That commercial made me giggle inside. I figured the 'damaged' hair was just some hair sample they'd chopped up to resemble split ends.

Pifkin
November 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I just saw this commercial for the first time a couple of minutes ago. Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous. I wish products really did work that way. :rolleyes:

mizk5110
November 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if it DID work though? :D Have to admit, I was only half awake when I saw it, so I'm glad you found the actual ad, Shastrix. It looks even more unrealistic now that I'm (sort of) awake.

hmmm
November 4th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I just noticed the 'Convincing, isn't it?' part of the ad. It's just hilarious!

RancheroTheBee
November 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
How silly. I like her obviously freshly-trimmed ends at the end. Yes, Dove. Trimming does help a lot.