PDA

View Full Version : thickness over length...

chotee
November 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I realised that being in LHC, its hard to decide whether to cut or not, whether length matters more than thickness...and sometimes its very confusing. I kept asking myself the question again and again and everytime, thickness emerged as the winner. Since joining LHC, i took good care of my hair and thickness improved automatically and even though that was the major reason i started taking care of my hair, i got carried away by the beautiful lengths here and stopped cutting my hair or trimming it very rarely and still my braid would have two different thicknesses. the top one was a nice healthy thickness and the tail was still much thinner. so, i had to debate with myself and then finally i decided to get rid of the last few inches of thin hair. I am really happy to start with all thick hair. Its sometimes hard to make decisions but once you make the move, u are happier. Thanks LHC for the support....

SheaLynne
November 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Oh, congrats on making a decision! I'm in that undecided state currently, too. At the moment I think I'm going to wait until tb length to maintain there awhile to gain thickness and healthier ends, but I could change my mind at any moment LOL.

I'd love to see pics of your before/after.

eta: oops, didn't see the link to your pic. Your hair is thick and gorgeous!

wahmof9
November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Great choice! You are is gorgeous!

Starblanket
November 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Congratulations for your choice! :) You have such gorgeous, black hair.

saskia_madding
November 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I totally know how you feel. I had never taken a picture of my hair down before last week. The first one looked like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4225&pictureid=54337

Not bad, right? But the second one I took was this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4225&pictureid=54338

I HATED IT. I vowed to cut it. I really hate that wispy end thing. I cut it a bit and it still wasn't enough. I ultimately ended up with this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4225&pictureid=54340

From BSL to APL in one fell swoop. I definitely miss my length and I'm having to relearn how to style my hair, but I think it's worth it. I hate wispy ends on me! Oddly enough, I think they can look really romantic on other people, though.

chotee
November 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Oh, congrats on making a decision! I'm in that undecided state currently, too. At the moment I think I'm going to wait until tb length to maintain there awhile to gain thickness and healthier ends, but I could change my mind at any moment LOL.

I'd love to see pics of your before/after.

sure, i will post some pics.....

take your time shealynne....there is no need to hurry and you can always go in small steps....but its just that small steps never made me happy for some reason thats why i did a major cut. All the best :-)

chotee
November 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks wahmof and starblanket......u made my day :smile:

Simone: U r right! I think growing hair is one thing, being happy is another. I am sure you will be really happy with the new length because you feel the thickness and the quality after you cut a little. Plus you are motivated with the new cut, all the best....

Paliele
November 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
It's sad to lose the length, but the hemline in your after picture sure does look great!

ETA: Oh wait, that's not the OP. simone_rodrigue, your hemline looks great!

spidermom
November 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
I like to keep up with regular small trims because they keep my ends on the thick side, and I never notice the loss in length. I tried no trimming for one year but then needed to cut back about 4 inches in the first six months after the year was over. I noticed that loss!

Your hair looks gorgeous, and I remember you from before. It's good to see you back.

jivete
November 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
I fight with this dilemma constantly. I've gone back and forth for the last 18months. I'm finally getting somewhat thicker ends with small trims. At the moment I'm maintaining this length, but that's just until December. Then I plan on growing for three months then trimming 1/2", growing 3 months, trimming, etc. until I've reached waist where I plan to stay. It can definitely be a frustrating process.

Amara
November 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Your hemline looks much thicker. I'm so glad you're happier with it. :)

Babyfine
November 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I just cut over 3inches of my hair last week. My hair was below the bottom of my BS and if I tipped my head back I could touch my tailbone. I agonized over this decision for months and months. The last several inches just looked so thin. It now touches the top of my Bra Strap. I really like thicker hemlines on me.
I'm trying hard to waist- may have to wear my hair up all the time to do it..Maybe my hair grows at different rates so if only I could put up with it for a few months or a year the rest would catch up.

Topaz
November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I think we all agonize over the issue of length vs. thickness. My mantra for growing hair is: "It's a journey, not a race" and that makes it a little easier to cut when I need to. I just recently cut about a half-inch all over, and then cut another 2 inches off the fairytale end I was developing. I just don't like the sharp wispy "V" shape on me. It was a tough thing to do, but I'm happier with my hair now that I've done it. So I vote for smallish trims all along the way, that way you can enjoy both length and thickness. "It's a journey, not a race."

SurprisingWoman
November 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I have done several major trims. I cut my hair to my shoulders to get rid of the dye and I have never regretted it. Last October I cut six inches off.

I see LHC as being a place to help us learn how to have the hair we want to have. Healthier, stronger, thicker, longer. Each journey is individual. I have never seen anyone here tell people that length is the only goal.

I am glad you are happy with your hair. :)

chotee
November 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you all so much for the support and beautiful comments...thats why i love LHC :smile:

Yeah...i think too that growing hair is a journey and not a race and we all have individual speeds and requirements. The first and foremost is to be happy and take proper steps like Spidermom(thanks for remembering me :smile:) and others who say taking frequent small steps is the key to keep longer thicker hair than hurry up and end up with not so good looking ends that you have to cut a lot. To start with my hair wasn't that bad but i have had these cuts to make myself feel better. This time, i cut about 5 inches of my hair and i am not going to make the same mistake like last time and grow and grow. I am going to give small minor trims every 2 months or so and not worry about my length that much.....Right now, my hair is about 29 inches....so back to growing but slow and steady.....

thanks again, cheers,,,

RocketDog
November 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Condition and general appearance mean more to me than length - that's why my first self-trim was not just a quickie get-the-ends deal, but cutting in some layers. If it just matted up and laid there it wouldn't matter if it was hip-length or APL, it would look and feel awful. I'd rather get to my goal a little slower and have hair that looks full and healthy than speed towards a goal length at all costs and never be able to wear my hair down because I had to hide gnarly ends...

longhairedfairy
November 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Oh, you have lovely thick dark hair!

chotee
November 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
rocketdog - truly said and longhairedfairy - thankyou dear :smile: