PDA

View Full Version : Women's Day Article Air Drying Fades Color

atlantaz3
November 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
It was an article in Women's Day mag, 50 tips to beautiful hair. Some suggestions seemed to come right off this site. But airdrying fades hair color?

spidermom
November 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I think everything fades hair color over time.

otherarrow
November 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I have never heard that before and I'm not sure I believe it. Depending on what colour and brand you use time and water will fade your colour.
In my experience.

Too bad it wasn't an online article, I'd like to have read it.

Calista
November 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Do they mean artificial colour or your own natural hair colour? :confused:

RancheroTheBee
November 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well, good. I'm always trying to find new ways to fade my hair color, and it's nice to know I was already doing it. :p Anyway, I want to see this article. If it's anything like that Marie Claire article that LittleOrca posted (the one that said nubbie brushes were good, and not shampooing is gross) it ought to be good for a chuckle.

Coriander
November 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hm. If air-drying really fades color enough to be noticeable, then I wouldn't have any pigment left.

I wonder if blow-frying, then, would save your color. :lol:

friskybiznus
November 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Whaaaat? That's goofy....

Gypsy
November 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Vinegar rinses fade my color faster than if I don't use it, but I still do it.
The benefit outweighs the risk (if you could call it that) for me.
I imagine the same can be said about the air drying thing, if that was the case.

Topaz
November 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
I don't believe it. If air drying faded hair color, I wouldn't have any color left at all after 30 years of nothing BUT air drying! :p

Toadstool
November 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Well, good. I'm always trying to find new ways to fade my hair color, and it's nice to know I was already doing it. :p.

.......LOL

florenonite
November 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Riiiighhht.

Sure, my henna's faded, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I do heavy oilings prior to washing and then shampoo the length than with the fact that I airdry.

Did the article provide any sort of scientific basis for this claim? I fail to see how it could possibly be true.

Heidi_234
November 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Either it was taken out of context or it just one of those silly 'fact' that make very little sense. I mean, if you don't air dry, what would you do? Blow dry it? Use a diffuser? Since when blow drying helps preserve color? :confused:

Unless they mean the temp colors, that seem to bleed whenever hair gets wet, so less time staying wet equals less bleeding? Argh, whatever.

linda g
November 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Any chance they meant air drying it in the sun? That will lighten hair. I used to do this when I was a teenager to get reddish highlights in my brown hair.

florenonite
November 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I found the article online: http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Beauty/Prep-Your-Hair-for-Autumn.html

Believe it or not, color fades faster on air-dried hair. So use a hair dryer on the lowest heat to get hair at least 80% dry.

No explanation of why it does so, and it doesn't mention sun as a factor. ETA: I think it's also talking about chemical colour, not natural hair colour.

Gingevere
November 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I agree with florenonite. I'm pretty sure they're referring to chemical hair color, since the heading is "Preserve Your Color" and there's a photo of a woman getting a dye job. I suppose it's plausible that air-drying could contribute to fading of that kind of hair color. It's really bad to get hair 80% dry with a hair dryer, though. You're supposed to wait till your hair is 80% dry before you start frying it.

Of course, there's always the option of just not doing it at all. ;)

RancheroTheBee
November 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Like a lot of hair articles from mainstream sources, it has some good advice and then some awful advice in there for good measure. I'm just a little confused why you would need to use a dry-shampoo the day after you wash your hair. Surely, very few people have scalps that oily? :confused:

Buddaphlyy
November 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
I have heard this before and I believe it. They are only talking about chemical color. When you air dry, the cuticle doesn't close all the way therefore giving the color molecules more chance to leave the hair i.e. color fading.

florenonite
November 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Like a lot of hair articles from mainstream sources, it has some good advice and then some awful advice in there for good measure. I'm just a little confused why you would need to use a dry-shampoo the day after you wash your hair. Surely, very few people have scalps that oily? :confused:

If I got used to shampooing daily, I would have to use dry shampoo the following day, though I've also been known to go up to a week between washes (three to four days is typical). A couple summers ago I was working as a lifeguard and, because I was swimming a lot, I washed my hair at least once a day, and it got to the point where I needed to wash it daily or it would get horribly greasy. I think it is a case of training the scalp to produce more oil by stripping it.

Fractalsofhair
November 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
I actually don't disagree with that for chemical dyes. Water leaches them out! (Same deal with non coney conditioner, shampoo, or even oils.) Blow frying and flat ironing get rid of the moisture, and DO temporally seal the cuticle down(Admittedly, destroying it in the process). That prevents water from getting in. However, blowdrying destroyed my hair after I dyed it once.

Fractalsofhair
November 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Since going off the pill, my scalp is actually that oily. With blonde hair, even a little bit too much oil shows up. It makes my hair look almost brownish. Many people who overwash their hair suffer from the same problem, plus "clean" hair is very rarely super shiny, but dull...

heatherdazy
November 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
I call BS!!

I'm a colorist and have never seen a difference in fading between my clients who airdry vs blowdry. Now wetting your hair more frequently, on the other hand...