PDA

View Full Version : the all natural way

hairwhoas87
November 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
This is my first post, so please be gentle. First off, I've been reading posts on this forum for about six months, and I have to say that this forum is fantastic. i cant sleep (terrible 'cause hair needs its beauty sleep) so i decided to contribute my story.
Ever since I was a kid, my hair has never been that long: it's never been below my shoulders. That was true until two years ago which was when a friend and I decided to grow it out. The process was so much easier for my friend because straight, asian hair is hassle free compared to my curly hair. Never having long locks prior, I had to learn to deal with constant tangles, frizzys, and split ends. I can't tell you how many times my friend had to talk me out of cutting it back to its original length. it was like talking off a jumper, and i am especially grateful for the support because now i love locks.
Anyway, the real turnung point for me came when i got a trim from a hair dresser to get rid of split ends, and she happeed to have the same hair type as me. I told her about my hair woes and she gave me terrific advice that i've been following for almost a year now: Go All Natural. I use all "whole foods" or organic type hair products now like bees and jasons. I completely ditched cones and sulfates, and i try to use the least amount of chlorides and alcohols. I've also been alternating giovannis and kheils leave'ins (on windy or sunny days) and. I've gone even so far now as to only use all natural tools; i've stopped using my seamless combs and picks (i plan to sell them on the swap) and exclusively use wood brushes with wood pins. the one i currently am obsessed with is a padded wood brush that is analogous to a denman d3 classic ( ok...so the rubber pad isnt "all natural"...sue me).
So far, the results have left my hair with frizz and split ends at an all-time low and the love and satisfaction for my hair at an all-time high. i hope others who have tried or will try my regimen success.

Alexannee10
November 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Wow you're on the way to long healthy hair! :queen: I think the only thing missing is time .. Arf. Keep it that way!

Friesiangirl
November 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I feel your frustration. I've never had hair longer than APL, so it's definitely a bit unerving to think that it might grow any longer this round. I suppose you're a bit of inspiration for me then. Congrats on your hair too!

Hayley

JamieLeigh
November 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Welcome to LHC! It definitely sounds like you got some superb advice. There are a lot of good things about going all-natural - your body as well as your hair will thank you for it in the long run, I'm sure. Glad to see a new face, and I hope you will continue to keep us posted on your hair journey. :flower: Good luck! :)

ladycatpurrs
November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I also lurked here for months before I joined. I have learned so much and my hair has improved so much due to my new routines. Good luck on your hair journey! I wish you long, lovely locks!

spidermom
November 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
It's wonderful to find a routine that works for you, but your needs may change as your hair gets longer. I recently discovered that the tangles and knots are almost impossible to deal with, so I've returned to my former favorite coney serum, and it's like a miracle.

hairwhoas87
November 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
i'll keep the possibility of returning to cones in mind...which cone products do you use specifically, and how often do you clarify, and what do you clarify with?

Aries_jb
November 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I've had pretty good results taking this route as well. I haven't used cones or sulfates in many years and have recently been experimenting with more natural product lines like Beauty Without Cruelty, Kiss My Face, Nature's Gate, EO, Chagrin Valley, and Aubrey with pretty great success. I have curly hair too and it's been much softer and healthier looking lately. It makes me feel like my hair isn't as high-maintenence as I once thought. It's actually relatively simple to care for, which makes me and my hair happy. Welcome to the boards! :).