PDA

View Full Version : Cones working so well for hair, now I'm a little confused

JCFantasy23
November 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
Ive been cone free for a month now and my hair has been so much better. I haven't had build up like I always fought with before, I swear with the updos and the better handling it's already grown (I posted a thread at the beginning of the month worrying it would never grow and had reached terminal lol), the hair strands seem stronger, etc.

I have noticed for a week and half now though that my hair keeps getting oilier sooner. I've had to wash every three days, which is fine, but now two days later it is SOOOOO greasy it's disgusting. Seriously, brushing it makes it look weighed down and so greasy you would think I haven't taken a bath in weeks. It seems to be getting worse over the last week and a half. What could be causing this?

Also it is itching tonight, like it does if I go too long without washing and it gets too oily. It itched some last week too. Any ideas?

friskybiznus
November 2nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I think a lot of people go through a transition stage when they first start CO'ing and their hair and scalp kind of freak out. Try a ACV rinse, it may help!

Good luck!! :)

Lemur_Catta
November 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Ive been cone free for a month now and my hair has been so much better. I haven't had build up like I always fought with before, I swear with the updos and the better handling it's already grown (I posted a thread at the beginning of the month worrying it would never grow and had reached terminal lol), the hair strands seem stronger, etc.

I have noticed for a week and half now though that my hair keeps getting oilier sooner. I've had to wash every three days, which is fine, but now two days later it is SOOOOO greasy it's disgusting. Seriously, brushing it makes it look weighed down and so greasy you would think I haven't taken a bath in weeks. It seems to be getting worse over the last week and a half. What could be causing this?

Also it is itching tonight, like it does if I go too long without washing and it gets too oily. It itched some last week too. Any ideas?

We have the same hair type, and I also have to wash often. I don't worry about that though because I exercise 3x week so I would wash it anyway, but sometimes I wash on Friday night (CWC) and I'm a greaseball by Monday morning.
I'm also cone free. What do you use to wash your hair? I have noticed that if I CO, my hair gets greasy faster. The best thing for me has been to coat ends with conditioner, wash the scalp only with diluted SLS shampoo (not too much diluted tough, let's say 1:1 shampoo:water) and to apply conditioner only from ears down. In a word, CWC. I have noticed that if I dilute shampoo too much, it looks clean but it gets dirty faster, and if I apply conditioner on the scalp, it's the same.
Anyway, if you have time to do it and don't blow dry, having to wash your hair often won't damage it.

jojo
November 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Just a thought but how hot is the water your washing your hair with? I used to (many moons ago) wash my hair with warm to hot water and got greasy hair so quickly. I now use barely warm water to wash and rinse in the coldest I can stand and I no longer get greasy hair.

Try turning the temp of your water down and see if this helps x

melikai
November 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just a thought but how hot is the water your washing your hair with? I used to (many moons ago) wash my hair with warm to hot water and got greasy hair so quickly. I now use barely warm water to wash and rinse in the coldest I can stand and I no longer get greasy hair.

That's a very interesting thought, jojo. I wonder if it's because hot water increases circulation, which could stimulate the sebaceous glands? :hmm: I'm going to try this to help me further stretch my washes (currently wash every 5 days).

RancheroTheBee
November 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
That's a very interesting thought, jojo. I wonder if it's because hot water increases circulation, which could stimulate the sebaceous glands? :hmm: I'm going to try this to help me further stretch my washes (currently wash every 5 days).

I think Igor wrote an article about using cold rinses to stimulate the sebaceous glands. Here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=77) I have no idea if hot water does, though. :p I could be very, very wrong.

Personally, I'd had a lot of luck with using SLS-free shampoo. I think because I'm removing oils, but not over-aggressively cleansing to the point where my scalp needs to produce more oil.

Aditi
November 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Usually i wash my hair once in a week but if i extend my hair washing period more than that my scalp starts to itch badly due to accumulated dirt and oil and also i start to shed a lot. So i would advice don't expand your hair washing period wash them as and when they get dirty or greasy.

JCFantasy23
November 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Usually i wash my hair once in a week but if i extend my hair washing period more than that my scalp starts to itch badly due to accumulated dirt and oil and also i start to shed a lot. So i would advice don't expand your hair washing period wash them as and when they get dirty or greasy.

Yeah, I think a lot of people go through a transition stage when they first start CO'ing and their hair and scalp kind of freak out. Try a ACV rinse, it may help!

Good luck!! :)

I am not COing, do a diluted shampoo on the scalp only, but perhaps what you're saying still applies since my hair is not used to all this conditioning. I've been putting plenty on it when I wash, from the ears down, and did a SMT treatment for the first time last week. Maybe it's just reaction similar to someone who is CO washing because it's not used to it?

We have the same hair type, and I also have to wash often. I don't worry about that though because I exercise 3x week so I would wash it anyway, but sometimes I wash on Friday night (CWC) and I'm a greaseball by Monday morning.
I'm also cone free. What do you use to wash your hair? I have noticed that if I CO, my hair gets greasy faster. The best thing for me has been to coat ends with conditioner, wash the scalp only with diluted SLS shampoo (not too much diluted tough, let's say 1:1 shampoo:water) and to apply conditioner only from ears down. In a word, CWC. I have noticed that if I dilute shampoo too much, it looks clean but it gets dirty faster, and if I apply conditioner on the scalp, it's the same.
Anyway, if you have time to do it and don't blow dry, having to wash your hair often won't damage it.

Yeah that's what started this post for me lol. Washed hair Friday and by Sunday it looked covered in oil. I tried CO at first and it just seemed weighed down too much. I use shampoo diluted with water in my hand on the scalp. I've been using White Rain. I never thought about diluting the shampoo too much, maybe I've been overdoing that. Geez, hair just stays picky doesn't it!

I never heard of that, it's good to know :) Well usually warm I guess. The hot water heater here doesn't stay hot, and also I'm wimpy with hot water lol

Shermie Girl
November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Some of us just can't stretch time between washings. I can't go more then every other day. My hair turns into a greaseball, my scalp itches and gets sore. I have tried cone, no cone, CO, shampoo only, warm water, cool water, vinegar. I still have to wash every day or every other day. :)

kittensoupnrice
November 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Here's the theory I've heard on hot water. Hot water makes your scalp feel dry, probably because the hot water dissolves/melts too much of the oil, leaving your hair and scalp stripped. To combat this dryness, your scalp could produce more oil, making you feel greasy. You then, combat this by washing with hot water again, perpetuating the cycle.

shadowclaw
November 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM

I once read an article in a magazine years ago that said using hot water in the shower causes your scalp to produce more oil and will thus make your hair greasy faster. It also said that using cold water "seals in" the oil, allowing you to go longer between shampoos. I don't know about sealing in the oil, but it could be true that hot water stimulates oil production.

heidihug
November 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I know this is a question about the possible affect different products have on the hair and scalp, but perhaps you might be having hormonal fluctuations?

I know that I go through both a monthly cyle of greasy/less greasy scalp, plus every three months I am become even more of an oil derrick for a week or two. The products I use on my hair and scalp seem to have absolutely no bearing on the oiliness. We tend to get caught up in what we are putting on externally so much that we can tend to not pay attention to our internal goings-on.

Just a suggestion, I could be all wet. Or greasy, as the case may be.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I think Igor wrote an article about using cold rinses to stimulate the sebaceous glands. Here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=77) I have no idea if hot water does, though. :p I could be very, very wrong.

Personally, I'd had a lot of luck with using SLS-free shampoo. I think because I'm removing oils, but not over-aggressively cleansing to the point where my scalp needs to produce more oil.
I would think that cold water caused vasoconstriction and closed the pores which hairs are growing from, in return shut the glands off and the opposite with hot water? just my theory. I know in my case my greasy hair is a thing of the past since I erradicated hot water from my routine. Interesting.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Here's the theory I've heard on hot water. Hot water makes your scalp feel dry, probably because the hot water dissolves/melts too much of the oil, leaving your hair and scalp stripped. To combat this dryness, your scalp could produce more oil, making you feel greasy. You then, combat this by washing with hot water again, perpetuating the cycle.
makes perfect sense to me that!:)